I'm the Vikings GM for SiriusXM MTC Fan Mock Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

I'm the Vikings GM for SiriusXM MTC Fan Mock Draft

Post by YikesVikes »

I'm taking suggestions on who I should draft.
My current preference would be any of the Top 3 Tackles - Taylor, Ford, Williams
Followed by any freak players dropping for a reason (i.e. Oliver, Bosa, Wiliiams-DT)
If all 3 OTs are on the board, I may go 3 techs and plan to address the OL in the 2nd.

I'm looking for ideas on what scenarios you see playing out.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: I'm the Vikings GM for SiriusXM MTC Fan Mock Draft

Post by VikingLord »

I just did a mock on Fanspeak and ended up drafting Jawaan Taylor at 18 and got Chris Lindstrom at 50.

Pretty much a BPA draft too based on the initial setup I had.

While I don't know how I'll feel if Spielman ends up taking OL with the first 2 picks, in this particular case I think those first 2 picks are pretty good players, so I'd be happy about it.

I can't see Bosa dropping out of the top five. I mean, anything is possible, but if he were to drop to 18 you'd have to pull the trigger.

Another dark horse for me is Hockenson. I also don't see him available at 18, but I think he'd be hard to pass up too because he can still help in the run game because he's an excellent blocker, but he can also be a factor in the passing game. Plus, he's an excellent character guy and loves the game. He could be that offensive player that creates the sort of matchup problems for defenses that pro offenses must be able to consistently create.

I'd probably agree with your overall strategy, though. If the top OL are gone by #18, it's likely a DT has slid, and there are some really good players at the top of that talent pool this year.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

YikesVikes wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:05 pm I'm taking suggestions on who I should draft.
My current preference would be any of the Top 3 Tackles - Taylor, Ford, Williams
Followed by any freak players dropping for a reason (i.e. Oliver, Bosa, Wiliiams-DT)
If all 3 OTs are on the board, I may go 3 techs and plan to address the OL in the 2nd.

I would take salary and contract situation into account as well. TE (Rudolph), CB (Waynes), DE (Griffen, Weatherly) are positions where we might have a void due to cap constraints. We may have enough depth at DE and CB to fill that void (or may be able to address it later in the draft), but TE seems like a real possibility if Fant or Hockenson are there at 18.

Otherwise I think you are on the right track. 1st round pick should be T, DT or TE is my guess.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

YikesVikes wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:05 pm I'm taking suggestions on who I should draft.

Don't be afraid to trade your 3rd + to get a second second rounder. Look to trade Waynes for picks.

We need a starter at DT and LG, and competition at C and RG most of all. DE and TE are big needs as well. Don't draft a corner.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

It's highly doubtful that Taylor will be there at 18. Ford and Williams are more realistic. If for some reason Taylor was there, he's a must-pick at 18. Dont forget about Dillard either.

Oliver has been all over everyones board. I could see him possibly dropping or he could be picked in the top 10. Montez Sweat is another one. I've seen him off boards at 5 and I've seen him off boards in the late teens.

Bosa and Williams are locked in the top 5.

Chances are, if all 3 tackles are on the board still, 3 techs are probably bone dry. Addressing OL in the 2nd isnt a bad route. There will be a ton there. Especially guards/centers. Christian Wilkins from Clemson is a good 3 tech option. Also dont rule out Jeffery Simmons. He's an absolute stud but tore his ACL in the pre draft process. Wouldnt be able to play until like halfway through the year but similar to a Jaylon Smith type situation. You might not have him at 100% this year, but he's definitely worth the investment.

I wouldnt rule out TE's either. If Fant and/or Hockenson are there, they would be tough to pass up.

Also for anyone interested, I enter in this every year. Way harder than you think but it's free and you could win either money or SB tickets I believe. Here is the link: https://predictpick.nfl.com/
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Also, how did you get into this? Sounds pretty cool
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

Was on teitter and saw they needed gms for several teams to select the pick. Put my name in for the vikes.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

What pick are they on now?
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

How many of these mock drafts threads are there going to be? Should I post all mine and make a thread for every one?
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:11 pm How many of these mock drafts threads are there going to be? Should I post all mine and make a thread for every one?
If you'd like to.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

YikesVikes wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:07 am Was on teitter and saw they needed gms for several teams to select the pick. Put my name in for the vikes.
That’s awesome. Good find YV!
-Chazz Palminteri
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

S197 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:05 pm What pick are they on now?
Sounds like it goes down next Friday
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:11 pm How many of these mock drafts threads are there going to be? Should I post all mine and make a thread for every one?
This isn't a mock draft thread. I'm participating in a SiriusXM Mock Draft. I was looking for a board consensus
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

YikesVikes wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:17 pm
This isn't a mock draft thread. I'm participating in a SiriusXM Mock Draft. I was looking for a board consensus
Yeah, I know. Its a little tiresome any time a fan comes up with a mock they post a thread about it, when the Mods have many times tried to tie up thread to 1 or 2, not 20 or 30.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:26 pm
YikesVikes wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:17 pm

Yeah, I know. Its a little tiresome any time a fan comes up with a mock they post a thread about it, when the Mods have many times tried to tie up thread to 1 or 2, not 20 or 30.
I don't get how this is remotely the same thing / similar