Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:19 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:59 pm
I’ll chime in here.

No one has stood up more for Kirk Cousins over his 3 seasons in Minnesota than I have. I advocated for his signing, and I’ve defended him when he’s played well. In fairness, I’ve also been critical when he’s played poorly.

When he said, “If I die, I die,” I actually stood up for him. That is an indication that he has faith, that his life is not in his own hands.

BUT … when you miss a significant part of training camp because you aren’t vaccinated and you (inadvertently) run counter to league protocols, and THEN blame the Vikings for not providing a big enough meeting space, THAT indicates a lack of accountability.

Cousins should, in my opinion, stand up for what he believes. Don’t make excuses. If you believe it’s nobody’s damn business whether your personal health choices matches that of others, then man up and say so. It’s not the Vikings’ fault that he wound up on the COVID list. And don’t tell the media you’ll “do anything” to stay clear of landing on the list when clearly you won’t.

Again, I have supported Cousins when appropriate, and I think it’s been appropriate a lot. But in this instance, I think he’s wrong. He should either actually “do anything” and get the shot, or say “my bad” when he ends up on the COVID list. That’s not a goofy take or an irrational disdain for Cousins. It’s just my opinion.
I've stood up for Cousins also. Always said he's the best since Fran. That's still holds true. But I also wanted us to take Mac Jones when he fell in our laps. Rick who I wouldn't call a QB master, he got lucky with Cousins, by any stretch said no thanks I'll wait. That's a no risk it move. Now we have this practice squad stiff who had a good practice but I'm reading across the web that he should be No 1 because he's much better than Cousins. The guy was lucky to be on a practice squad. Any team could have grabbed him and they all said no thanks the last two years because he's crap. I give him credit for making it this far with that pop gun arm. And now it's Mond. He's 3-5 years away from being able to play more than a couple games and is another practice squad guy for now.
Even you know Cousins is not good enough if you are looking to upgrade with Jones.

Aside from that:
No one was saying Browning should be the starter. Anyone who wrote that was being sarcastic and it must have gone over your head.
You have no idea what Mond is capable of, and he will be our #1 backup this year, not practice squad QB.
Even Bill Bellicheck didn't like Mac Jones well enough to move up and get him.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings QB Kellen Mond test positive for COVID; three QBs including Kirk Cousins expected to miss practice

Post by fiestavike »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:47 am
fiestavike wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:24 am Depending on how this lab enhanced virus interacts with nature...
Maybe the Chinese are still "enhancing" it?

What will we do if they start regular releases of COVID upgrades?

"COVID 2.0, now enhanced to only infect and be deadly to only Americans"

Or, what if Russia decides to start doing that now that "lab enhancing" of viruses is apparently something countries can and will do?

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Uh...this is the prevailing scientific consensus at the moment, not some nutty conspiracy theory. This was most likely a virus which was altered by man for research purposes. How that will affect the adaptation of the virus is, I think, not entirely certain. In any case, the main point is, we will be living with Covid from here on out. We can't remain at this fever pitch of alarm indefinitely. At some point, this settles in as the new normal and we hope that the next strain is not worse.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

fiestavike wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:42 pm

Or, what if Russia decides to start doing that now that "lab enhancing" of viruses is apparently something countries can and will do?

Uh...this is the prevailing scientific consensus at the moment, not some nutty conspiracy theory. This was most likely a virus which was altered by man for research purposes. How that will affect the adaptation of the virus is, I think, not entirely certain. In any case, the main point is, we will be living with Covid from here on out. We can't remain at this fever pitch of alarm indefinitely. At some point, this settles in as the new normal and we hope that the next strain is not worse.
I agree with some of this statement. My question is why don't we (the public) work to make this a remotely fatal virus. Then all of this would die down. If only 1 out of 100,000 were dying despite being vaccinated, that means that only 3200 people would die a year. This would all go away (the flu is about 50,000) a year.
VikingTom
Starter

Post by VikingTom »

Ok, was not going to post anymore so if this gets me banned it matters not. FV you have managed to magnify stupid by an incredible factor. So seriously, do you take medication to suppress braincells or is this your natural state? Do you have any clue what gain of function research is? Have you researched anything outside of OAN or a you tube video with no references? The science says it is possible an ACCIDENTAL LAB LEAK occurred. Not probable, or particularly likely, simply possible. The science also says the virus was not manufactured. Again, the only consensus you will find is among conspiracy theorists who have no scientific training.

As for living with COVID, no that does not have to be. Get your damn vaccine, encourage others to get vaccinated. If enough get vaccinated that eliminates the breeding ground for variants. I am done with ignorance, there is too much of that here. I do not need this crap. Every one of you misinformation, anti vax, gullible clowns needs a ball bat to the back of your head. Then maybe we can move on and get back to normal. AMF!!!!!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:49 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:05 am If Adam Thielen or Harrison smith did exactly what you said cousins did above, would they be taking the heat like cousins is? The answer is NO.

When Thielen actually missed a game last year for covid related reasons. They didn’t get hounded by the media. They aren’t the whipping boys. Kirk cousins is and always will be
The situation from last year has changed. The vaccine wasn't available last year. If he misses games this year, and isn't vaccinated, then yes, I would predict that he WILL get some grief by the media and fans.

And yes, being a QB gets you higher scrutiny, fair or not... The QB touches the ball every offensive play.
I’ll believe it if or when I see it regarding Thielen
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingTom wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:32 pm

Ok, was not going to post anymore so if this gets me banned it matters not. FV you have managed to magnify stupid by an incredible factor. So seriously, do you take medication to suppress braincells or is this your natural state? Do you have any clue what gain of function research is? Have you researched anything outside of OAN or a you tube video with no references? The science says it is possible an ACCIDENTAL LAB LEAK occurred. Not probable, or particularly likely, simply possible. The science also says the virus was not manufactured. Again, the only consensus you will find is among conspiracy theorists who have no scientific training.

Well, I never said it was "manufactured". Other than the part where you rant and call me names, I think we basically agree here except that from what I know, LAB LEAK seems more probable than possible, that is, generally seems to be the accepted theory.
VikingTom wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:32 pm As for living with COVID, no that does not have to be. Get your damn vaccine, encourage others to get vaccinated. If enough get vaccinated that eliminates the breeding ground for variants. I am done with ignorance, there is too much of that here. I do not need this crap. Every one of you misinformation, anti vax, gullible clowns needs a ball bat to the back of your head. Then maybe we can move on and get back to normal. AMF!!!!!
Look, you are obviously way more invested in this than I am. I don't vote, I'm not ideological, and I don't care. I'm just interested in the Truth and the chips fall where they may. The point I was making is that COVID is in animals--including wild animals--not just humans. It is going to continue to have breeding grounds, to be transmitted, and to adapt. There will be seasonal variants. That means we are always going to have COVID to deal with. Beyond that, I don't give a **** about your ideology or your hatred for a bunch of people which you are projecting on me because the truth somehow cuts against you ideology. **** your ideology, mate.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:00 pm
Thaumaturgist wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:49 am
The situation from last year has changed. The vaccine wasn't available last year. If he misses games this year, and isn't vaccinated, then yes, I would predict that he WILL get some grief by the media and fans.

And yes, being a QB gets you higher scrutiny, fair or not... The QB touches the ball every offensive play.
I hope we don't have an opportunity to see it. :wink:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:13 pm
CharVike wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:19 pm
I've stood up for Cousins also. Always said he's the best since Fran. That's still holds true. But I also wanted us to take Mac Jones when he fell in our laps. Rick who I wouldn't call a QB master, he got lucky with Cousins, by any stretch said no thanks I'll wait. That's a no risk it move. Now we have this practice squad stiff who had a good practice but I'm reading across the web that he should be No 1 because he's much better than Cousins. The guy was lucky to be on a practice squad. Any team could have grabbed him and they all said no thanks the last two years because he's crap. I give him credit for making it this far with that pop gun arm. And now it's Mond. He's 3-5 years away from being able to play more than a couple games and is another practice squad guy for now.
Even you know Cousins is not good enough if you are looking to upgrade with Jones.

Aside from that:
No one was saying Browning should be the starter. Anyone who wrote that was being sarcastic and it must have gone over your head.
You have no idea what Mond is capable of, and he will be our #1 backup this year, not practice squad QB.
I never said upgrade. The guy feel into our laps. Why would Bellicheck move?. Teams in front already made there moves. Some projected the 49ers to take Jones once they passed no team was in the way including us. There's no guarantee with draft picks. Jones could bust very easily as could the 1st guy taken. Mond is what he is at this point. Ideally you would like a backup who is a vet that actually played a little. Like Keenum was a fine backup. Never do you want him playing more than a couple games. Yes he had more then a couple game run with us and won the playoff miracle. Got himself a tremendous contract, two-year $36 million contract, for a backup player and I give him credit for that. Like every player he took the money and ran. He's still out there.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:35 am

Aside from that:
I never said upgrade. The guy feel into our laps. Why would Bellicheck move?. Teams in front already made there moves. Some projected the 49ers to take Jones once they passed no team was in the way including us. There's no guarantee with draft picks. Jones could bust very easily as could the 1st guy taken. Mond is what he is at this point. Ideally you would like a backup who is a vet that actually played a little. Like Keenum was a fine backup. Never do you want him playing more than a couple games. Yes he had more then a couple game run with us and won the playoff miracle. Got himself a tremendous contract, two-year $36 million contract, for a backup player and I give him credit for that. Like every player he took the money and ran. He's still out there.
Yeah. Stump will try to twist every stat and every comment into an attack on Cousins. A team can draft a QB without considering it an upgrade of their current starter. You in no way whatsoever called Jones an upgrade on Cousins.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:16 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:00 pm

I hope we don't have an opportunity to see it. :wink:
Lol touché sir
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:21 pm
Yeah. Stump will try to twist every stat and every comment into an attack on Cousins. A team can draft a QB without considering it an upgrade of their current starter. You in no way whatsoever called Jones an upgrade on Cousins.
He's not a fan of Cousins we all know that. Jones fell in our lap and at that point make the pick. Nobody knows how the guy will pan out but he certainly has top level talent. You never pass that up for the most important position on the team. Those chances don't come along very often. I was excited as hell at that point but trader down punted and that basically ended the draft in my view. But Speilman would have passed on any player that fell to us. He was picking a LT end of story. That's the worst way to run a draft. A single position view.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Aside from that:
You wanted to trade 3 1st round picks to move up and get Jones. You wanted to do that for a guy who wasn't an upgrade.

Heck, even giving up just our 1st would have been dumb if he wasn't an upgrade.

Why else draft him?
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:34 am
You wanted to trade 3 1st round picks to move up and get Jones. You wanted to do that for a guy who wasn't an upgrade.

Why else draft him?
I never said trade anything. He fell to us.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:27 am
StumpHunter wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:34 am

Why else draft him?
Before the draft you said you wanted to give up 3 1sts, Barr and Cousins for Darnold and the 2nd pick to draft Jones.
I would start with offering those 2 and 3 1st round picks for Sam and the No 2 pick. This will give that GM 2 instant starters that can play at a decent level in the NFL and some draft capital that he can use this year for Trask as a dev guy. Then we can go in with Sam and Jones
Regardless, if Jones isn't a potential upgrade, why would you want to even give up 14 for him?
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:55 am
CharVike wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:27 am
Before the draft you said you wanted to give up 3 1sts, Barr and Cousins for Darnold and the 2nd pick to draft Jones.
I would start with offering those 2 and 3 1st round picks for Sam and the No 2 pick. This will give that GM 2 instant starters that can play at a decent level in the NFL and some draft capital that he can use this year for Trask as a dev guy. Then we can go in with Sam and Jones
Regardless, if Jones isn't a potential upgrade, why would you want to even give up 14 for him?
3 1st round picks, Barr and Cousins for Darnold and 2nd overall pick for Jones, First off Jones is a waste at the second overall pick you could get him later and just no. Madden wouldn't even make that trade.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson