Too Early to Start Talking About the 2019 Draft?

Talk about the latest College games and players and discuss the NFL Draft here. Get reports on players, prospects, Draft Links, the latest Mock Drafts and other indepth analysis, plus the latest on the NCAA College games.

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Too Early to Start Talking About the 2019 Draft?

Post by VikingLord »

I know the Vikes just got knocked out, but was wondering what others think about the upcoming draft. Spielman will have the #18 selection in a very deep defensive draft, and while the offensive talent isn't as deep in this draft, there are some intriguing prospects along the offensive line that should be available when that pick comes around.

One of my early favorites is Cody Ford of Oklahoma. He's a 335 pound RT for the Sooners, but from what I'm reading he's projecting as a guard at the pro level. And guess what? The Vikes could sure use a 335 pound guard who is consistent and can both run and pass block.

Not to say this is the guy. There are other intriguing prospects as well, but man, just from the eyeball test Ford looks like what the doctor ordered for this offensive line. Put him next to a stronger and more experienced Brian O'Neill and maybe, just maybe, the Vikings have the makings of an offensive line, at least on one side of the ball.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Re: Too Early to Start Talking About the 2019 Draft?

Post by dead_poet »

I'd add Dalton Risner into the mix as well.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/11/28/ ... on-risner/

And toss in Yodny Cajuste (West Virginia) if we're talking tackles.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Cody Ford is a stud. I'd love him in purple.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

dead_poet wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:47 pm I'd add Dalton Risner into the mix as well.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/11/28/ ... on-risner/

And toss in Yodny Cajuste (West Virginia) if we're talking tackles.
One thing I like about this upcoming draft is the defensive depth should help to drive OL talent down the board a bit. It might not work out that way, but if it does, Spielman will get a shot at some guys he might not otherwise see when the 1st and 2nd round picks come up. While I really like Ford, either of the prospects you listed would be fantastic too.

But it does stink that he's got to look to the draft to get immediate starters on the OL. He's going to have to find a few rabbits in the hat this year, or find a way to make room in FA for the players he is going to need to maximize his investment in Cousins.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Heard something interesting. It was Denver trading for Cousins.
I really don't see that happening, but what if it had some merit ?
That's a top 10 pick and a ton of $$$ for FA or resigning guys
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

IIsweet wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:00 pm Heard something interesting. It was Denver trading for Cousins.
I don't see anyone trading for Cousins unless he's willing to do a new deal, and I don't see any reason for him to do a new deal.

Cousins is here now and will be for the next 2 seasons. Spielman has to get the most out of that move, and doing that is going to involve improving the offensive line.

Besides, it isn't obvious who would be better than Cousins at QB if they managed to somehow trade him.

Spielman is hitched to this horse now. He's going to have to find a way to ride it or die trying.
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Cousins for Keenum straight up. That would be interesting.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I would like to see them draft a QB in the first 3 rounds. Not because of my view of Cousins but primarily because his contract is only for 2 more years *and* we need a better backup. Actual competition for Cousins would be great. Not happy with QB depth at all. Drafting a QB to groom for 2 years sounds like a good plan to me.

It's pretty well accepted that Cousins isn't "great/elite" but "above average and good enough to win". I think they should be aiming for great at the arguably most important position on the team.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Cliff wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:37 am I would like to see them draft a QB in the first 3 rounds. Not because of my view of Cousins but primarily because his contract is only for 2 more years *and* we need a better backup. Actual competition for Cousins would be great. Not happy with QB depth at all. Drafting a QB to groom for 2 years sounds like a good plan to me.

It's pretty well accepted that Cousins isn't "great/elite" but "above average and good enough to win". I think they should be aiming for great at the arguably most important position on the team.
I agree.
Step 1. Let's not necessarily stop trying to win right now, but stop doing it in a ways that compromise the future.
Step 2. Build for the future. Not just next 2 years. That includes a plan beyond Kirk. Even if Kirk turns things around, it never hurts to have a good backup, or trade material.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

The Vikings, in the 30 or so years I have been watching, rarely groom a QB. They usually pick crap QBs. And almost always their QB FA's have flawed and over priced deals. Rick is a perfect example of failed QBs, and even the idea of grooming a talented QB.
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

IIsweet wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:00 pm Heard something interesting. It was Denver trading for Cousins.
Like Viking lord said not happening unless Cousins restructured his deal and why would he. $84 million guaranteed I wouldn't do it. It wouldn't be selfish the Vikings gave him the money who was a full starter for 3 years and didn't win a playoff game. He did not beat the Packers. Denver would probably get Flacco anyways.
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

720pete wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:36 am Cousins for Keenum straight up. That would be interesting.
I guess so but wont happen.
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

It's not too late! Its never too late!
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Cliff wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:37 am I would like to see them draft a QB in the first 3 rounds. Not because of my view of Cousins but primarily because his contract is only for 2 more years *and* we need a better backup. Actual competition for Cousins would be great. Not happy with QB depth at all. Drafting a QB to groom for 2 years sounds like a good plan to me.

Exactly. You can never have enough good Qb prospects or offensive lineman.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

So who out there agrees with me that it would be insane to draft a quarterback who is Kyler Murray's height anywhere higher than the third round?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.