Tom Johnson DT aquitted of all charges and ready for camp

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

esox07
Practice Squad

Tom Johnson DT aquitted of all charges and ready for camp

Post by esox07 »

Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle Tom Johnson has been acquitted of all counts stemming from his October arrest at a Minneapolis restaurant.

Johnson was charged with three misdemeanor counts, including disorderly conduct, after authorities say he refused orders to leave Seven, a downtown steakhouse and sushi lounge. Authorities used a chemical spray and a stun gun on Johnson.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/vikings-dt ... --nfl.html
Transplant stuck in the middle of enemy territory!
losperros
Commissioner

Re: Tom Johnson DT aquitted of all charges and ready for cam

Post by losperros »

Let's hope Johnson can put this behind him and work his tail end off at camp.
homerjay
Practice Squad

Post by homerjay »

everything about that stunk! Reminded me of AP getting arrested for resisting arrest.....
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

homerjay wrote:everything about that stunk! Reminded me of AP getting arrested for resisting arrest.....
Yup. That didn't go well for the cops I am sure. Since they didn't arrest him for anything else. Resisting arrest can not be a stand alone charge, there has to be another arrest in there for something.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
esox07
Practice Squad

Post by esox07 »

Raptorman, is that true that you can not only be charged with resisting arrest as a single charge by itself? Did not know that.
Transplant stuck in the middle of enemy territory!
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Yup. That didn't go well for the cops I am sure. Since they didn't arrest him for anything else. Resisting arrest can not be a stand alone charge, there has to be another arrest in there for something.
Varies from State to State .. In California I think resisting arrest can stand alone....

An officer has to have reason to stop you, though....without probable cause An officer could actually be terminated, if he detains you (depending on circumstances)
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
DK Sweets
Career Elite Player

Post by DK Sweets »

jackal wrote: Varies from State to State .. In California I think resisting arrest can stand alone....

An officer has to have reason to stop you, though....without probable cause An officer could actually be terminated, if he detains you (depending on circumstances)
I'm not sure how that could stand. If the cop didn't have a reason to arrest you, shouldn't you have the right to...like...not want to be arrested?

Am I looking at this too simplistically? Haha
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

DK Sweets wrote:I'm not sure how that could stand. If the cop didn't have a reason to arrest you, shouldn't you have the right to...like...not want to be arrested?

Lmfao, right? If that can be a stand alone charge that is absolute lunacy.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

jackal wrote: Varies from State to State .. In California I think resisting arrest can stand alone....

I was wrong, it can be a stand alone charge although there are limits on it being a stand alone charge. Peterson didn't meet any of those when arrested.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I was wrong, it can be a stand alone charge although there are limits on it being a stand alone charge. Peterson didn't meet any of those when arrested.
There are a few really informative videos on you tube in which defense lawyers and ex law enforcement give advice on what to say and how to respond
if questioned and protect your rights. arrest versus being detained ....
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

DK Sweets wrote:I'm not sure how that could stand. If the cop didn't have a reason to arrest you, shouldn't you have the right to...like...not want to be arrested?

They can detain you (i.e. handcuff) without putting you under arrest. I assume if they tried to cuff you and you resisted, that would technically be resisting detainment but they probably just call it resisting arrest. I'm sure you need probable cause to detain someone but what that constitutes is probably minimal especially next to an arrest. I think even a "for my and your safety" is enough justification.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Yeah I read the article on Johnson and the trial; and it sounds like the jury didn't believe the police, at all.

One of the officers slapped a cell phone out of Johnson's hand, prior to the arrest. They don't have the authority to
do that. Johnson's lawyer stated that; Johnson plans on filing a lawsuit, after the season is finished. If that is the case, I
hope the arresting officers are fired, and lose their pensions.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2014/10/8/ ... ons-arrest
13 second video of the cop slapping the phone at the very end.