Peterson plea deal...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Peterson plea deal...

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote: Is there really? Like what?
Like make an effort to empathize and/or understand others rather than defining them by a single action. Like differentiating between an act and an entire person. Consider the quote you posted:
We judge our own character by our best intentions and most noble acts, but we will be judged by our last worst act.
To me, that's a quote about perception, and a cautionary one at that, not just for the person being judged but for those doing the judging.

Are noble intentions and acts rendered meaningless and erased by "our last worst act"? Tainted, perhaps, but they are still noble acts and intentions, evidence that there is more to a person than their last worst act.
We have our opinions/judgements of a person like Adrian Peterson and that's really all we have. I don't know him and I'm assuming nobody here does either. I can't really be 'compassionate' about his past because I honestly don't know how he was *actually* treated as a child. I don't know if he actually regrets what he did (rather than just regretting being caught). I don't know if he intends to change or just be more careful.

All I really have in regards to this incident, that actually proves anything beyond doubt, are pictures of an abused child.
Isn't scant evidence a reason to limit judgment rather than a reason to render a judgment as harshly definitive as the label "monster"? I think there's a difference between a monstrous act and a monstrous person. The photos would seem to indicate the former but since, as you said, we don't really know Peterson, we aren't in a position to determine he's the latter.

Maybe I shouldn't have poked at this particular hornet's nest. :(
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Sticking up for a man who beat his kid with a switch. I just don't see how anyone can do that. Hopefully the son and mother have forgiven him. But the son will have that image with him for the rest of his life. I certainly wouldn't any children I know cheering for AD. But to each their own.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

What's the alternative view? Are we supposed to believe Peterson's background had no influence on his behavior? I'm not suggesting he's blameless (or innocent) but it seems likely that he was part of a cycle that needed to be broken. Personally, I think it makes more sense to see him as a misguided individual who unintentionally crossed a line that shouldn't be crossed than as a brutal "monster".[/quote]

Whatever anyone thinks about Peterson, I wish the best for him, for his career going forward and for his family. Personally, I'm going to pray for healing and hope it can happen. He can't undo what he did -- although I'm sure he wishes he could. I can't imagine it will be a good thing when his son becomes aware -- years from now -- that pictures still exist on the internet of his naked body showing marks from a beating his father gave him that eventually ruined his father's career and reputation. That's gong to suck. And, yeah, it won't be the son's fault. Meanwhile, most of us will forget about it, until we are reminded when Peterson becomes Hall of Fame eligible. What's done is done, and what most of us overlook is that it will never be done for Peterson or for his son or family. Someday this story will show up in Peterson's obituary. Enough already. Let's move on. There's nothing more to see.[/quote]

Well said :rock: I agree with you except for the forgetting part because there are posters who have already posted their sentiments but find it necessary to post the exact same things over and over and over :yawn:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Noxage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Noxage »

chicagopurple wrote:Only in Minnesota will you find anyone remotely concerned about how "fairly" AP is treated. Even in MN there are a lot of fans who no longer care about how gently AP is handled. If AP was Packer or Raider, I doubt any of use would give a rats #### about how well this was handled because really, compared to what happened to the helpless victim, the plight of another stupid mega-millionaire who thought he was above the law and public opinion is really moot.
Your morale grand-standing is nauseating. To make it worse it's not backed up by any data.

More than half of respondents from across the country don't think Peterson's punishment is fair.

Clearly for most people this is far from the clear cut issue you're trying to make it out to be..
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Noxage wrote: Your morale grand-standing is nauseating. To make it worse it's not backed up by any data.

More than half of respondents from across the country don't think Peterson's punishment is fair.

Clearly for most people this is far from the clear cut issue you're trying to make it out to be..
Yes, but keep in mind Chicago's credentials he claims to be a Doctor.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Sticking up for a man who beat his kid with a switch. I just don't see how anyone can do that. Hopefully the son and mother have forgiven him. But the son will have that image with him for the rest of his life. I certainly wouldn't any children I know cheering for AD. But to each their own.
Why should they forgive "a man who beat his kid with a switch" if that action so wholly defines him that you just don't see how anyone could stick up for him? The implication of your comment seems to be that he's wholly unworthy of forgiveness or empathy.

A I said earlier, everybody has their own perspective on this and everybody is dealing with it in their own way, on their own timetable. All I was trying to do is point out that there's a way to view this in shades of gray and not just black and white.
Noxage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Noxage »

Purple bruise wrote:
Yes, but keep in mind Chicago's credentials he claims to be a Doctor.
And I'm a neuro-surgeon who moonlights as NASA design engineer. But I make all my real money running a super secret ultra dark pool leveraged hedge fund. Out of my basement. While I'm sleeping.

In other words, I don't really believe anything anyone says about what they do or who they are in real life. He/she's very much included in that statement.
Lars
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Lars »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Sticking up for a man who beat his kid with a switch. I just don't see how anyone can do that. Hopefully the son and mother have forgiven him. But the son will have that image with him for the rest of his life. I certainly wouldn't any children I know cheering for AD. But to each their own.
You don't have to forgive him ever. You can roll out those vivid naked images of switch welts again someday online when somebody proposes that Peterson gets his number retired -- just to make sure Peterson's son (and everybody else) never forgets why his dad will be denied that honor. Make it hurt. After all, someone might think you approved of child abuse.

Yeah, to each their own. I'll shut up now.
purpletinted66
Starter

Post by purpletinted66 »

halfgiz wrote:Any other players in the future that get charged with a misdemeanor should get 15 games too!!
who knows, maybe that person or people would rather make good use of a year off. in fact, every working person should get one out of seven years off, mandatory, and not just under negative context. :idea:
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

chicagopurple wrote:just so you understand that I am not some faceless coward who trolls online and doesnt back it up.....

http://www.medcaregroup.com/

I have spent over 20 yrs treating kids, just like the unfortunate little boy who has AP for a father.....Most people who arent over invested in football do not find the damage inflicted by AP excusable and arent too worried about his football career.
Not just the kid that got abused. And only came forward because of a previous appointment and the requirement that the doctor report it, but what about his other kids? Does anyone think this was the only case of his doing this? It's likely not even the worst. What a scum bag. And then to act like he didn't do anything wrong and would continue to do it?

Hopefully this finally gets the message across that it's not right to beat your kids. Even if you were beat. And even if you're millionaire professional athlete adrian peterson who can afford high price attorneys to get you off on a misdemeanor the level of slapping someone on the street.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

I too, help out at a shelter for women. Its on a volunteer basis. 95% of the women that come to the shelter for aid, food, etc, say their abuse started as physical abuse. Its no joke. I cant tolerate that or animal abuse. All the excuses of, it happened to him, it was fine done south, are BS. Like I said, to each their own. I will remember him more, im hoping, for the memories he gave us on the field. Off the field, well, Ive already said what I think of him. Hopefully as his career continues, he tries and makes amends, especially to child abuse victims' charities.
Noxage
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Noxage »

chicagopurple wrote:just so you understand that I am not some faceless coward who trolls online and doesnt back it up.....

http://www.medcaregroup.com/

I have spent over 20 yrs treating kids, just like the unfortunate little boy who has AP for a father.....Most people who arent over invested in football do not find the damage inflicted by AP excusable and arent too worried about his football career.
1) if you are that person, and again I won't be affording you the benefit of the doubt in this matter, take some free advice: don't ever link people to that site. It's a technical embarrassment for a professional organization and shines a negative light on whatever image you're trying to portray.

2) Less tangential - You seem to be missing the point completely. Nobody here that I've seen has been saying that Peterson is innocent or should not be punished appropriately. The outrage is over Goodell's completely arbitrary discipline process and how this is all clearly just a PR play for the NFL. His two-faced, fascist BS is beyond wearing thin and has people pissed off. For me it's far less about child abuse and AP and more about the AHole running my favorite sports league into the ground. He's in way over his head and completely full of s$%t.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

This won't end well...
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:I too, help out at a shelter for women. Its on a volunteer basis. 95% of the women that come to the shelter for aid, food, etc, say their abuse started as physical abuse. Its no joke. I cant tolerate that or animal abuse. All the excuses of, it happened to him, it was fine done south, are BS.
There's a difference between reasons for behavior and excuses used to justify behavior. They aren't the same thing at all.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Mothman wrote: Like make an effort to empathize and/or understand others rather than defining them by a single action. Like differentiating between an act and an entire person. Consider the quote you posted:
To me, that's a quote about perception, and a cautionary one at that, not just for the person being judged but for those doing the judging.

Are noble intentions and acts rendered meaningless and erased by "our last worst act"? Tainted, perhaps, but they are still noble acts and intentions, evidence that there is more to a person than their last worst act.
Isn't scant evidence a reason to limit judgment rather than a reason to render a judgment as harshly definitive as the label "monster"? I think there's a difference between a monstrous act and a monstrous person. The photos would seem to indicate the former but since, as you said, we don't really know Peterson, we aren't in a position to determine he's the latter.

Maybe I shouldn't have poked at this particular hornet's nest. :(
It's just a difference of opinion in the end, I'm not ready to call him a monster exactly, I just can't muster much sympathy. However, I would remind you that it's not just the switch either. The whole making him eat leaves and having the kid worried about being punched in the face if he said anything. It goes beyond the spanking to me.