Mike Tomlin's D-bag move

General discussions of other teams from around the league and general NFL events.

Moderator: Moderators

Eli
Hall of Famer

Re: Mike Tomlin's D-bag move

Post by Eli »

Hmm... Four points. Maybe Tomlin had money riding on the game.
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Watch this video for a clearer idea of what Tomlin did. He steps to the sideline and plants his feet on the very edge of the field as Jacoby Jones heads that way. He wasn't in that position on the field until Jones was out past the 40 yard line. And who stands like that, with their heels together? He looked like a freaking bowling pin.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/12/ ... -incident/
Eli
Hall of Famer

Post by Eli »

Also, I wonder what the ruling would be if a runner touches something or someone that is out of bounds. Is he down? Because my first reaction to seeing that play was that Jones should have stiff-armed Tomlin into the first row of seats.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Eli wrote:Also, I wonder what the ruling would be if a runner touches something or someone that is out of bounds. Is he down? Because my first reaction to seeing that play was that Jones should have stiff-armed Tomlin into the first row of seats.
I wonder if Tomlin would have the cojones to do that with AD running down the sideline? Man I'd love to see Adrian rock that cheater.
Reignman
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Reignman »

Reignman wrote:You can see him looking over his shoulder well before Jones even gets to him and then he waited until the last second to jump out of the way. Even his body language suggests intent. He's all stiff and standing straight like a statue. Very unnatural looking.

This is the best angle of the play, right down the sideline on the field, and it clearly shows it was intentional IMO.

Eli wrote:Watch this video for a clearer idea of what Tomlin did. He steps to the sideline and plants his feet on the very edge of the field as Jacoby Jones heads that way. He wasn't in that position on the field until Jones was out past the 40 yard line. And who stands like that, with their heels together? He looked like a freaking bowling pin.

Plagiarist! You even posted the same link :lol:
Eli wrote:Also, I wonder what the ruling would be if a runner touches something or someone that is out of bounds. Is he down? Because my first reaction to seeing that play was that Jones should have stiff-armed Tomlin into the first row of seats.
According to the VP of officiating, who was on the NFL Network talking about this play, the official can award anything he wants if someone on the sideline interferes with a play on the field. Whatever he sees fit. He can even award a TD.
"Our playoff loss to the Vikings in '87 was probably the most traumatic experience I had in sports." -- Bill Walsh
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Eli wrote:Watch this video for a clearer idea of what Tomlin did. He steps to the sideline and plants his feet on the very edge of the field as Jacoby Jones heads that way. He wasn't in that position on the field until Jones was out past the 40 yard line. And who stands like that, with their heels together? He looked like a freaking bowling pin.

The video does not show Tomlin until Jones is getting close to him, you see him moving his feet a little, but you really can't see that he wasn't in that spot the whole time. What makes me give him a little benefit of the doubt is the way Tomlin jumped out of the way. There was an "oh crap!" quality to it that I don't think is so easily faked. Rules still say he shouldn't have been on the line, so a flag absolutely should have been thrown. I really don't think Jones scores on the play, but he would have gotten 5-10 more yards. A 15-yard unsportmanlike was definitely warranted and I'm not sure why the official who had to avoid Tomlin to the outside didn't throw it.
glg
Site Admin

Post by glg »

Still in bounds. Think about a defender on the sideline, the defender can't just step on the line and touch the runner and "haha, you're out!"

Jones wouldn't think stiff-arm because that's going to slow him down. It might have been the right play, because contact with Tomlin would have been much more likely to have gotten a TD awarded, but that's not what Jones is going to think about in the moment.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

Reignman wrote:I know you can't "prove" intent, but good grief, it's so obvious it was intentional. Does he need to be on the field to see the jumbotron? I want to see footage of other kick returns where he's also watching the jumbotron while standing on the field. Nobody else is standing on the field or looking at the jumbotron. And why watch the jumbotron when the play is coming right at you? You have the best seat in the house.

You can see him looking over his shoulder well before Jones even gets to him and then he waited until the last second to jump out of the way. Even his body language suggests intent. He's all stiff and standing straight like a statue. Very unnatural looking.
This.

Watching the jumbotron or not, he knew Jones was coming. He should have been out of the way (but never should have been in the way), MUCH sooner. Oh yes, let's wait until Jones is JUST passing by...let's step on the field, jerk back, and then smile and laugh about it later. Yeah, it wasn't intentional. Uh huh.

Curious to see if Tomlin sticks around as coach. I've been reading a lot about Steelers fans being over him. They suggest he embarrassed their well-respected franchise and that he's overrated as coach. Basically, he had the benefit of Cowher's leftovers, and now that they are aging and going elsewhere, the results are clear...sucky suck suck.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

Reviewing this tape, you clearly see that Tomlin went over to the sideline, actually has his right foot on the playing field and as he was acting like he was jumping out of the way actually stuck his right foot FURTHER onto the playing field I think in an attempt to disrupt the play. Obviously who ever fined him must have seen the same thing. What a d-bag :steamed:
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Steelers announce NFL informs no loss of draft pick for Tomlin sideline shuffle. Had Ray Anderson remained EVP I suspect that not the case
@JasonLaCanfora on Twitter
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly