Percy's future w/ Vikings looking uncertain

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Re: Percy's future w/ Vikings looking uncertain

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Purple bruise wrote: Okay again this was just one scenerio that I came up with. So if Harvin is not resigned this year to multi multi million dollar contract then after this year he becomes a free agent and the Viking would get zero for him. If he is disgruntled and no longer wants or is willing to play for the Vikes then why not trade him. I mentioned the Patriots as a possible trading partner. As far as Bush he did often times line up in a slot with the Dolphins, as a wide out and a running back. He is also an excellent kick returner. Seems to me that he does many things as Harvin does I would take him in a second.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCpjvAnN-IQ

I am sorry, but Bush is not a slot receiver. Bush is threat catching the ball because he is consistently lined up with the middle linebacker coming out of the back field. As a true slot receiver, Bush would get the safety or the nickel back assigned to him. The best position Bush could play would be Wing Back. You don't waste over $4 million on a guy who can only play wing and third down back.

Besides, Bush has been tried as slot guy before. I specifically remember when Bush was a second year pro in New Orleans, the Saints tried him at slot. He did well initially, but teams quickly figured him out. Hell, I remember one play where Sheldon Brown lined up against in him the slot and just destroyed him.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Purple bruise
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Purple bruise »

mrc44 wrote: I don't know how many of you actually watched Bush play this year, but he is not that great of a catcher and whoever said he has as good as hands a Harvin, all I can say to you is There are places for people like you... Its called a Mental Hospital!! Bush had an issue dropping balls a few games this year and he is not worth a roster spot on this team especially a WR roster spot. And on top of that, i lost my fantasy football championship because of that jerk. :steamed:
Slow your roll on telling people that they belong in a mental hospital for having an opinion different than yours. Sounds like for some unknown reason you watched all of the dolphin games since you watched Bush drop all sorts of balls and as you so astutely commented "he is not that great of a catcher". He cost you a fantasy football championship :?: :rofl: what was he doing on your team if you think so little of him :rofl: Pretty funny stuff.
Do not mistake KINDNESS for WEAKNESS!

Best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool rather than open it and remove all doubt.
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

I actually think reggie bush plays running back, so that might make sense if we were losing gerhart and wanted a 3rd down option or something like that.

Also the patriots only have 5 draft picks this year so I don't see them just handing over their 1st or 2nd that easily.
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Tom Brady, Percy Harvin and the NE Patriots will win the Super Bowl next season.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

yezzir wrote:Tom Brady, Percy Harvin and the NE Patriots will win the Super Bowl next season.
Like they did last time they got a disgruntled ex-Vikings head case?
yezzir
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by yezzir »

Demi wrote: Like they did last time they got a disgruntled ex-Vikings head case?
No the Patriots didn't win that game.

But that's seriously my prediction.
Dark
Transition Player

Post by Dark »

yezzir wrote: No the Patriots didn't win that game.

But that's seriously my prediction.
It actually wouldn't make them that much better of a team. They lost welker so getting harvin wouldn't be a huge upgrade. The patriots are pretty much always a super bowl contender anyway, so thats not a bad prediction.
ADMVP & CCHOF
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Interesting tidbit from Pelissero's chat:
People have doubts about whether he gets moved at all because of his contract demands, and nobody's making the trade without working out an extension because he might not show up. It's kind of a mess right now. One guy who's plugged in told me last night he bets something happens on draft day. We'll see.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

dead_poet wrote:Interesting tidbit from Pelissero's chat:
"One guy." :lol:

Not a slam at you dead_poet whatsoever, because I respect the hell out of you for providing up to date information, but do you really think Pelissero knows anything? Or he is ESPN's version of Charley Walters?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:"One guy." :lol:

Not a slam at you dead_poet whatsoever, because I respect the hell out of you for providing up to date information, but do you really think Pelissero knows anything? Or he is ESPN's version of Charley Walters?
I know you weren't asking me but I'll chime in anyway: I don't think Pelissero is ESPN's version of rumor-monger Charley Walters at all. I think he's actually a very good, if opinionated, beat reporter and I've found most of his reporting reliable. He seems to qualify what needs to be qualified and it's usually clear when he's giving an opinion and when he's reporting a fact. When he makes a comment like the one above, in the context of a chat, I don't think he's making anything up but I also don't believe it's anything to take too seriously. He's passing on a comment someone made to him and doing it in a way that makes it clear that neither the commenter or Pelissero know what's really going to happen. Since it's in the context of a chat, I also don't consider it part of a report. It's just "football talk" with fans.

Jim
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: I know you weren't asking me but I'll chime in anyway: I don't think Pelissero is ESPN's version of rumor-monger Charley Walters at all. I think he's actually a very good, if opinionated, beat reporter and I've found most of his reporting reliable. He seems to qualify what needs to be qualified and it's usually clear when he's giving an opinion and when he's reporting a fact. When he makes a comment like the one above, in the context of a chat, I don't think he's making anything up but I also don't believe it's anything to take too seriously. He's passing on a comment someone made to him and doing it in a way that makes it clear that neither the commenter or Pelissero know what's really going to happen. Since it's in the context of a chat, I also don't consider it part of a report. It's just "football talk" with fans.

Jim
I agree. Pelissero's not perfect but he generally seems as unbiased and reliable as they come.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:What Minnesota should do is keep Percy Harvin, pay him, and draft another outside threat so that we can take the next step into the post season.
I'm repeating myself but so is everyone else in this thread, so here it goes...

I think you're absolutely correct. In fact, I think that's exactly what the Vikings will do unless Harvin and his agent tell Spielman that Percy wants out of the team.
mrc44 wrote:Transitioning someone half way through their career to a new position doesn't sound like something a young Vikings team would do.
This is a very good point. Spielman has made it clear that he wants to build through the draft and supplement through the free agency. Don't expect any more Carlson fiascoes or big spending sprees on free agents.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote:
I know you weren't asking me but I'll chime in anyway: I don't think Pelissero is ESPN's version of rumor-monger Charley Walters at all. I think he's actually a very good, if opinionated, beat reporter and I've found most of his reporting reliable. He seems to qualify what needs to be qualified and it's usually clear when he's giving an opinion and when he's reporting a fact. When he makes a comment like the one above, in the context of a chat, I don't think he's making anything up but I also don't believe it's anything to take too seriously. He's passing on a comment someone made to him and doing it in a way that makes it clear that neither the commenter or Pelissero know what's really going to happen. Since it's in the context of a chat, I also don't consider it part of a report. It's just "football talk" with fans.

Jim
Sure, I was not ask you specifically, but I always appreciate your opinion Jim! :)

Anyway, I don't, I just don't see it that way. I see Pelissero as someone with agenda who tries to use his position in the media in attempt to expel those players he doesn't like. I know that is big accusation, and I don't have proof, but it is just the way I feel.
dead_poet wrote:
I agree. Pelissero's not perfect but he generally seems as unbiased and reliable as they come.
Like I said, I always appreciate your efforts to bring news to this board. However, I always cringe when I see Pelissero as the source. It is just one of those thinngs that eventually I will have to accept him as a reporter.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:Sure, I was not ask you specifically, but I always appreciate your opinion Jim! :)

Anyway, I don't, I just don't see it that way. I see Pelissero as someone with agenda who tries to use his position in the media in attempt to expel those players he doesn't like. I know that is big accusation, and I don't have proof, but it is just the way I feel.
Hey, if that's how you feel, you're obviously entitled to your on opinion. :)

Just out of curiosity, is any of your view based on his radio personality? I ask because my view of Pelissero is shaped entirely by his writing, tweeting, etc. and by his 5 to 10 minute post-game videos. I don't hear him on the radio so I have no idea how he comes across in that medium.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

So with 12 draft picks and 5 in the top 93, #49ers have put themselves in prime position to swing trade for Revis or Harvin.
Evan Silva on Twitter

(12 picks total and 5 in top 93 is pretty impressive)