Music tastes?

Run into some old friends from another group or board? Want to do a little schmoozing, talk over old times? Or just some off topic stuff, then this is the place.

Moderator: Moderators

zamboni14
Backup

Re: Music tastes?

Post by zamboni14 »

808vikingsfan wrote:Growing up: Judas Priest, Def Leppard, Scorpions, Accept, Iron Maiden, Triumph, Michael Schenker, Black Sabbath, Raven. Then Raven toured with a band called Metallica (Kill 'Em All For One tour) and was hooked. Never heard anything like 'The Four Hoursemen'. Which introduced me to Megadeath. Megadeath's 'Rust in Peace' has to be one of the best metal albums ever. Holy Wars is my favorite metal song of all time. This is coming from a huge Metallica fan (early stuff).

Also listened to old Rap. Run DMC, LL Cool J, Eric B, Public Enemy, Stetsasonic, Tribe Called Quest.

I don't know where to fit it in but I've listened to Pablo Cruise throughout most of my life.

College years I was also into Hoodoo Gurus, TSOL, Jesus and Marychain, They Might Be Giants, 10,000 Maniacs, XTC, Sade, and a bunch of Hawaiian stuff. Listened to Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Sublime for a while too.

Right now, I'm into Dave Matthews. Never heard of the guy until a couple of years ago. Just took a trip to The Gorge in WA to watch him on the Labor Day weekend. He is amazing live. I can't imagine how someone can put that much emotion into every song in every show. It's like he believes every lyric and sings each song for the very first time. I also listen to Jack Johnson, Mason Jennings, and lots of kids music (some by choice).

I'm suprised not many Minnesotans listen to Mason Jennings.
Megadeth.. I know that the vast majority of people say that "Rust..." is their best album, but I still can't understand why "Peace Sells" isn't right up there. Then again I am a bit biased as I think that the title track is still their best song.
zamboni14
Backup

Post by zamboni14 »

808vikingsfan wrote: Yeah, I know this gets flip flopped around all the time. I do think Peace Sells is great too, but I just think Holy Wars is such a bad @** song. I may be a little biased too. My brother used to take guitar lessons from Marty when Marty was living in Hawaii.
now on the subject of Metallica and Megadeth... who's stayed more consistent? Meaning, from first album to their most recent album... who's better?
zamboni14
Backup

Post by zamboni14 »

Speaking of music... have you seen the list of the RnR HoF inductees?

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/stopth ... ight-year/

This has to be the MOST pointless HoF ever created due to all the snubs year after year.
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Now its our time »

zamboni14 wrote:Speaking of music... have you seen the list of the RnR HoF inductees?

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/stopth ... ight-year/

This has to be the MOST pointless HoF ever created due to all the snubs year after year.
Neil Diamond? :puke:
Look at ur sig,now back 2 mine,now back to yours,now back to mine

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer
zamboni14
Backup

Post by zamboni14 »

I can accept Neil going in (he is "rock" after all and has written many songs that were hits for other people) I just can't figure out how bands like Boston, Chicago, Deep Purple, Rush, Kiss, etc. aren't in the hall of fame... yet Bon Jovi, LL Cool J and the J. Geils Band will be put in?
viking_guy
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by viking_guy »

the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame is a total joke. KISS is one of the most influential bands over the last 40 years, and they keep getting snubbed. until this is corrected, i pay no attention to it.
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

70's and 80's rock, and country western. i cant stand RAP and todays rock. music by pearl jam, red hot chili peppers, gwen stefani, metallica is okay. :govikes:
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

zamboni14 wrote:I can accept Neil going in (he is "rock" after all and has written many songs that were hits for other people) I just can't figure out how bands like Boston, Chicago, Deep Purple, Rush, Kiss, etc. aren't in the hall of fame... yet Bon Jovi, LL Cool J and the J. Geils Band will be put in?
I haven't really listened to much Neil Diamond. LL Cool J? SERIOUSLY?

Sadly,yours isn't mine.But if you stopped posting and made this your sig,yours could look like mine.

Look down,back up,your on VMB reading the sig your sig can look like.I'm on a computer
HornedMessiah
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by HornedMessiah »

Now its our time wrote:I haven't really listened to much Neil Diamond. LL Cool J? SERIOUSLY?
Ya, pretty dumb huh? They should change the name to "Pop Music Hall of Fame" if they're going to pull crap like that.

I gotta laugh though about Kiss still not getting in. Good, because they suck anyway. They have like one good song (Detroit Rock City) and not much else. They put on a big show, stamped their logo on endless boatloads of plastic crap, and have done like 3-4 "Farewell" tours. Enough is enough already. They'll get in eventually, but I think bands should be judged by, you know, their MUSIC. If there was a hall of fame for bands that were a big spectacle and shamelessly sold themselves, then Kiss would be the first inductee.
Now its our time
All Pro Elite Player

HornedMessiah wrote: Ya, pretty dumb huh? They should change the name to "Pop Music Hall of Fame" if they're going to pull crap like that.

I gotta laugh though about Kiss still not getting in. Good, because they suck anyway. They have like one good song (Detroit Rock City) and not much else. They put on a big show, stamped their logo on endless boatloads of plastic crap, and have done like 3-4 "Farewell" tours. Enough is enough already. They'll get in eventually, but I think bands should be judged by, you know, their MUSIC. If there was a hall of fame for bands that were a big spectacle and shamelessly sold themselves, then Kiss would be the first inductee.
Who do you think deserves to be in there the most? I say Rush but maybe that's because I like them more than the other bands...

zamboni14
Backup

Post by zamboni14 »

HornedMessiah wrote: Ya, pretty dumb huh? They should change the name to "Pop Music Hall of Fame" if they're going to pull crap like that.

I'm no Kiss fan, but they should be in before some of these other bands that are getting a "welcome" invite. Again, LL Cool J? Sure he has more talent then all of Kiss (and former members) put together... but it's not "rock" the last time I checked. Sure JGB had 3 hits, but that's about it folks... they mattered for a few years before becoming a non-factor in the music world. At least Kiss can say they've been around and playing large venues (and influencing a lot more people) over the span of a few decades. Sure it was mostly because of how they "sold out" and slapped their name on everything they could, but at least they had the power and ability to do such things. Say what you will about their music, but no amount of "pyro" or lights can cover up a band that is REALLY bad... unless they are a pop star today when it's all lip synced "live" shows.

Rush suffers from the same problem as Kiss (in a couple ways at least.) Either you love them, or you hate them... mostly due to Geddy's vocals. And they have a very devoted following by their fans. But, since the critics always hated them... they get black balled. Mind you these are the same critics that will gush over the newest Tool album (which sounds like all the other Tool albums... and I say that while being a Tool fan) or how great the newest hip-hop artist is (when so much of it is the same basic sounds.)
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Desperado sung by a child (warning: this is awfully sweet): http://blip.fm/profile/sarahksilverman/ ... 3Desperado
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
hibbingviking
Hall of Famer

Post by hibbingviking »

i like most music. except for opera,todays rock, RAP, and garth brooks and mariah carey songs. :puke:
beardedterror
All Pro Elite Player

Post by beardedterror »

hibbingviking wrote:i like most music. except for opera,todays rock, RAP, and garth brooks and mariah carey songs. :puke:
Opera :lol: That's an oddly specific genre. Opera is near the bottom of my list for classical genres, but there is some good stuff. Check out these links. I think you might be surprised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW1Uc-grcMs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AlEvy0fJto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuFOuh3QHs
zamboni14
Backup

Post by zamboni14 »

beardedterror wrote: Opera :lol: That's an oddly specific genre. Opera is near the bottom of my list for classical genres, but there is some good stuff. Check out these links. I think you might be surprised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW1Uc-grcMs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AlEvy0fJto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuFOuh3QHs
I actually like a singer with an "opera" sound in my heavy metal (Nightwish, Leaves' Eyes, Elis, Epica, etc.)