Vikings Serious About Suh

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Vikings Serious About Suh

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Reports abound that the Vikings have ongoing contract negotiations going on with Suh.

IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikings Serious About Suh

Post by IIsweet »

Oh my gosh... Suh could be exactly what we need. I don't see everyday what we have, but it is hard to ignore.
However, why wouldn't we have entertained Akiem Hicks and thrown more $$$ at him ??
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

IIsweet wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:55 pm Oh my gosh... Suh could be exactly what we need. I don't see everyday what we have, but it is hard to ignore.
However, why wouldn't we have entertained Akiem Hicks and thrown more $$$ at him ??
I dont think Suh would cost a lot, and he would share time with Tomlison. I dont like him, but he would help solidify the interior of the line.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

This is weird. Seems like a very anti-Kwesi move to me. He’s 35 years old, has played 12 years in the league, and had a poor overall PFF grade last year (49.4).

Unless he’s dirt cheap — averaged about $9 million over the last 3 years, which isn’t cheap — I don’t see how he fits the competitive rebuild idea.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsFan84
Transition Player

Post by VikingsFan84 »

Suh is a dirty player, screw him
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

VikingsFan84 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:58 pm Suh is a dirty player, screw him
lol woah dude
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:28 pm This is weird. Seems like a very anti-Kwesi move to me. He’s 35 years old, has played 12 years in the league, and had a poor overall PFF grade last year (49.4).

Unless he’s dirt cheap — averaged about $9 million over the last 3 years, which isn’t cheap — I don’t see how he fits the competitive rebuild idea.
What does a competitive rebuild even mean? Thielen is past his prime, super expensive and on the decline, and they gave him a raise this off season. Assuming Suh takes less than 9 million to play, and at this point 4 million would be too much for what he brings, signing him is very similar to the PP and Hicks signings. If it takes 9 million agin to bring him in then yeah, he wouldn't really fit with most of the FA signings.

As for his play last season, Suh's grades were awful last year, but he had the 14th most sacks of any interior defensive lineman and was 22nd in pressures. Comparing that to the Viking's "20th best player" DJ Wonnum, who was 31st and 35th among edge rushers despite the 2nd most pass rush snaps and that might be an upgrade on this dline.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Right now our interior has Phillips, Tomlinson, and ?? that can play the middle.
If they see him as an upgrade and we can afford it, then do it. If it doesn't fit, then don't.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

What does a competitive rebuild even mean?
According to Kwesi Adofo-Mensah:
"I think when people look at teams, they can sometimes do it in a very binary way. They ask are you either all-in, or are you tearing it down and rebuilding? I don’t really look at the world that way," Adofo-Mensah said Wednesday morning from TCO Performance Center. "The way we look at it is we’re trying to navigate both worlds."
I think it's also known as "not throwing the baby out with the bathwater". Don't just dump everything, both good and bad, in the name of doing something "new". For example, I think they didn't get rid of Cousins because they actually like him. Given they're both kind of "business-minded" people and Kirk has good stats I don't find it hard to believe though, of course, he could be "blowing smoke".

They're in the business of winning games and I don't mind at all that they're not just ok "tanking" the season to "completely rebuild" by gutting the team. I watch the Vikings to enjoy myself. I'm not trying to wait to enjoy the team until season after next.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

Cliff wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:00 am
What does a competitive rebuild even mean?
"I think when people look at teams, they can sometimes do it in a very binary way. They ask are you either all-in, or are you tearing it down and rebuilding? I don’t really look at the world that way," Adofo-Mensah said Wednesday morning from TCO Performance Center. "The way we look at it is we’re trying to navigate both worlds."
I think it's also known as "not throwing the baby out with the bathwater". Don't just dump everything, both good and bad, in the name of doing something "new". For example, I think they didn't get rid of Cousins because they actually like him. Given they're both kind of "business-minded" people and Kirk has good stats I don't find it hard to believe though, of course, he could be "blowing smoke".
The extension itself tells you they are blowing smoke. QB extensions given out this year:

Stafford: 4 yr/160 million
Carr: 3 yr/121 million
Rodgers: 3 yrs/150 million
Watson: 5 yrs/230 million
Cousins: 1 yr/35 million

One of those things is not like the other.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:42 pm
Cliff wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:00 am

The extension itself tells you they are blowing smoke. QB extensions given out this year:

I agree. One of them is facing 25 counts of sexual misconduct..... :shock:
i'm ready for a beer.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

vikeinmontana wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:23 pm

Down to 5 now, and I have been told off the field stuff doesn't matter and that we shouldn't assume guilt, especially since the evidence didn't even meet the criteria needed for an indictment.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Cousins has always chosen the length of the contract and the extension. He likes going short term and betting on himself. It's been working out very well for him.
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

StumpHunter wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:34 pm

Down to 5 now, and I have been told off the field stuff doesn't matter and that we shouldn't assume guilt, especially since the evidence didn't even meet the criteria needed for an indictment.
I was just pointing out what one thing was not like the other. :confused:

In regards to the rest of it, I don't recall reading anywhere on this board that off the field stuff doesn't matter. That would be a wild take. I do recall a discussion about a guy who had faced charges but I believe they were dropped or their wasn't enough to indite. I don't have near the information of this case as others apparently do so I shouldn't opine to heavily.

Doesn't seem apples to apples to me but that isn't for me to decide either. If it is, than Watson is for sure screwed. Because if there is zero doubt whatsoever of the guilt of our players accusations, I can't imagine the staggering odds of a guy accused of 25x more sexual misconducts. :shock:
i'm ready for a beer.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:26 pm

Cousins has always chosen the length of the contract and the extension. He likes going short term and betting on himself. It's been working out very well for him.
That has been the history. Washington offered him a long term deal and he didn't take it. Then they signed him twice to one year deals. If he sucked they wouldn't have offered those high one year franchise deals. Just tell him to get lost. The guy that got a long term deal is Mahomes with 10 years. You don't see many of those.
Tom Brady had this once four years and $72M were for the 2011 through 2014 seasons and it had a record amount of guaranteed money and was the biggest contract in NFL history. Only 4 years. That's not long term. Now he's on a 2 year deal and is playing as well as he ever did and shows no sign of slowing up. He could play another decade or maybe 2 more.