2024 NFL Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Tommy TarkenKapp
Rookie

Re: 2024 NFL Draft

Post by Tommy TarkenKapp »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:27 am
Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:27 am

I'm kinda leaning towards BPA at #11 if "their QB" is off the board before a viable trade up. There should be some quality CBs & DL ripe for the taking. We could really use some difference makers on defense. I'm not entirely opposed to a trade down so long as it's not too far down. After a decade plus of watching Rick Spielman's frequent trade downs for mostly misses and/or training camp fodder...I'm a little gun shy on the trade back philosophy.
Every mock I see has quality DL and or CBs available at pick 23. A lot of the time all the top 6 QBs are gone. QB at 11 BPA 23 is what I would advise Kwesi if I was in a position to advise him.
I'll openly admit that I don't watch much college football or look at too much in the way of mock drafts. So I'll take your word that QB at 11 & BPA at 23 is the best course.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:30 am
CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:41 am
I don't know if that is true or not. They certainly didn't add picks before the draft so I don't know what they would have used. We run a Shanny offense. It's not an RPO. That's what I see and that's the background KOC is from. I think Daniels is the guy who could drop. Yes the media has him going No 2 and perhaps an owner will tell the GM pick him for the fans and extra money. It's an entertainment business. Daniels is a guy who will help a team win right from the start. His play can be plugged in day 1. His TD pass totals were all over the board until year 5. Having Nabers certainly helped open the field up. He can blow the roof off. I also could be wrong and they will switch what they are doing.
If you believe the insiders the Vikings put together a big offer to move up for Richardson. The insiders could be wrong.
There was chatter but that chatter has been going on forever for almost any QB. This year is different. They are loading up. I still think the not signing of JJ means he's in the mix also. If we want pick 2 I don't think 11 and 23 alone will do it. With the standing still and grabbing something outside the top 5 is the same old story different day approach. Ponder or Teddy again. Many teams want a WR including the Cards at 4 who have their star QB. A proven star over a shot in the dark has tremendous value.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:50 am
cogitator wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:31 am

The local chatter here in Denver this morning is the Broncos moving up to get JJ McCarthy. I think that came from Sean Payton at the owners meeting. So much disinformation floating around before the draft that it seems if someone actually says what they are going to do, they are probably thinking the opposite. The Broncos did spend 5 hours with McCarthy the day after his pro day. Denver doesn't seem to have a lot to offer to move up after their ill-considered Russell Wilson trade, and they gave up some stuff to get Payton.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2024/3/2 ... -realistic
How far up? Did they say. Your right about the BS being floated. I'm sure they talked to many QBs. If they spent 5 hours and we spent a bunch of time then how long did JJ stay up to meet with the others? Or was it them and us as the only two interested.
Payton talked about Arizona being in a very choice position, so maybe there? But I think more likely they hang in there and hope for Nix to fall to them. I guess everyone figures the first 3 spots in the draft are a lock to go qb, then it will loosen up starting at 4. McCarthy seems to be the flavor of the day, lots of buzz about him all of a sudden.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

cogitator wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:42 pm
CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:50 am
How far up? Did they say. Your right about the BS being floated. I'm sure they talked to many QBs. If they spent 5 hours and we spent a bunch of time then how long did JJ stay up to meet with the others? Or was it them and us as the only two interested.
Payton talked about Arizona being in a very choice position, so maybe there? But I think more likely they hang in there and hope for Nix to fall to them. I guess everyone figures the first 3 spots in the draft are a lock to go qb, then it will loosen up starting at 4. McCarthy seems to be the flavor of the day, lots of buzz about him all of a sudden.
Yep lots of buzz and Kwesi is stupid enough when it comes to drafting that he may give up 3 FRPs to move up, but if we wait McCarthy could be there at 11.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

Harbaugh said Mcarthy is the best QB in this draft. If he really meant that, he would be looking to move Herbie (who probably isn’t all that opposed to it after the going out of business sale) for 3 FRP, and more if the Vikes eat some of the contract. That would give the Chargers the best QB in the draft, allegedly, AND 4 FRPs in the next 2 years.

If, and when, Harbaugh does not do that… it stands as proof that he is being overly generous about Mcarthy. I don’t want to call it a lie, cause he’s just beefing up his guy. But buyer beware, if Harbaugh doesn’t take his guy + 3 FRP and maybe a second…. Then why would anyone else overspend for the kid. Harbaugh won’t even take him for ONE FRP, but the Vikings should trade THREE FRPs to get him?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Warren Ludford
@wludford
My take is that the #Vikings, #Patriots, and #Commanders all like Jayden Daniels best, the Pats and Vikes like JJ McCarthy, but only the Vikes like Maye. The Pats may trade down with the Vikes if Daniels isn't there at #3, but only if the Vikes take Maye so the Pats can take McCarthy later.

Also if the Vikes don't take Maye, he could be this year's Will Levis.

However, I believe the Vikings will give up 4 FRPs to move up to 3 and take Maye there.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:35 pm Warren Ludford
@wludford
My take is that the #Vikings, #Patriots, and #Commanders all like Jayden Daniels best, the Pats and Vikes like JJ McCarthy, but only the Vikes like Maye. The Pats may trade down with the Vikes if Daniels isn't there at #3, but only if the Vikes take Maye so the Pats can take McCarthy later.

However, I believe the Vikings will give up 4 FRPs to move up to 3 and take Maye there.
4 1st round picks to get Maye at #3?

:ripple: :ripple: :ripple: :ripple:

If KAM does that, I really do think I'll have to take a few years off watching this team. I mean, the Vikings are the only team smitten with Maye? That tells a lot about what Maye has put on tape and what other QB-needy teams think of what he's put on tape.

Also, I don't see how the Patriots could condition a trade on the Vikings making a certain pick at #3. I mean, as far as I know even if the Vikings promised the Patriots they wouldn't take McCarthy in a trade like that, it's not like the Patriots could sue them if the Vikings then took McCarthy.

Not sure who this Ludford guy is but I think he's been hitting too much of the bad stuff lately. Either that, or he's a Pats fan hoping some team gives up an ungodly amount of draft capital to take a wild swing at a QB prospect.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

The worst case scenario is they get in a bidding war with the Broncos. I think there is a low chance the Broncos let JJ drop to 11.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:57 pm
cogitator wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:42 pm

Yep lots of buzz and Kwesi is stupid enough when it comes to drafting that he may give up 3 FRPs to move up, but if we wait McCarthy could be there at 11.
Even if McCarthy isn't there at 11, so what?

The draft buzz around QBs at this time of year always makes me shake my head in disbelief. I mean, look a the last 10+ years of QBs taken in the 1st round and it's easy to see why that is. So many of the guys who are overly hyped based on their college tape and "potential to develop" end up out of the league in a few years, much less becoming effective starters, and even fewer wind up becoming the franchise QBs of the teams that drafted them. Just look at Justin Fields as a perfect recent example of that. Or Zac Wilson. Or name-the-flavor-of-the-month. Even if the pre-draft evals all line up, the physicals all are great, and everyone from the guy's uncle to his coach to his former grade school classmates sing his praises as a person and leader, the vast majority of these guys end up living in a van down by the river (for those of you too young to know that reference, look up Matt Foley, Motivational Speaker).

I think the chances of JJ McCarthy turning into the next great franchise QB in the pros is maybe, maybe...., like .5% better than Bo Nix turning into that player. And that might be very generous as it is probably much less than that.

The whole point of the draft is to make the team better, and sure, finding a guy who can be an impact player at QB for the next 10+ years is worth a lot, but so is finding a guy who can be an impact DE, CB, WR, or any of the other positions that make up a TEAM. The name of the game in the draft is to improve the TEAM. So taking a swing at the most important position is fine if the swing is intentional and more likely to hit than not. But if the swing is wild or desperate at that position while it would be much more likely to hit at another position, then a guy like KAM should know better than to take the wild swing and go for the result that is likely to have a bigger impact.

Desperation drives poor decisions. A team ends up desperate because of poor past decisions. The best way to ensure continued desperation is making more poor decisions. The only way to get up off the floor after making poor decisions to is to stop making more poor decisions. Let others take the wild swings, and better yet, take advantage of their errors because the more of these QBs that end up going in the top 10 this year, the more really good and potentially great players at other positions have to fall.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:38 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:35 pm Warren Ludford
@wludford

4 1st round picks to get Maye at #3?

:ripple: :ripple: :ripple: :ripple:

If KAM does that, I really do think I'll have to take a few years off watching this team. I mean, the Vikings are the only team smitten with Maye? That tells a lot about what Maye has put on tape and what other QB-needy teams think of what he's put on tape.

Also, I don't see how the Patriots could condition a trade on the Vikings making a certain pick at #3. I mean, as far as I know even if the Vikings promised the Patriots they wouldn't take McCarthy in a trade like that, it's not like the Patriots could sue them if the Vikings then took McCarthy.

Not sure who this Ludford guy is but I think he's been hitting too much of the bad stuff lately. Either that, or he's a Pats fan hoping some team gives up an ungodly amount of draft capital to take a wild swing at a QB prospect.
It may be a slight exaggeration, but it reflects how poorly I feel about Kwesi's draft acumen. Trades can be conditional. I'm not sure if a condition of you can't draft player x can be done.

Here's a link to Warren Ludford. Not exactly Florio or Pellisaro, but he's been doing this for 9 years.
https://www.dailynorseman.com/authors/warren-ludford

I believe it because Drake Maye has a large number of flaws that would have to be fixed before he could take the field. I'd say a minimum of 2 years.
Last edited by VikingsVictorious on Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

BeforeIDie wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:13 pm Harbaugh said Mcarthy is the best QB in this draft. If he really meant that, he would be looking to move Herbie (who probably isn’t all that opposed to it after the going out of business sale) for 3 FRP, and more if the Vikes eat some of the contract. That would give the Chargers the best QB in the draft, allegedly, AND 4 FRPs in the next 2 years.

If, and when, Harbaugh does not do that… it stands as proof that he is being overly generous about Mcarthy. I don’t want to call it a lie, cause he’s just beefing up his guy. But buyer beware, if Harbaugh doesn’t take his guy + 3 FRP and maybe a second…. Then why would anyone else overspend for the kid. Harbaugh won’t even take him for ONE FRP, but the Vikings should trade THREE FRPs to get him?
Gonna have to disagree on this take. Of course Harbaugh is going to talk up his kid. Chargers have a top 10 franchise QB...why trade him for lottery tickets?
The only way I want us to trade up is if it is #23 to move up to 8 (example) or we trade JJ for a guy KOC likes a lot. Otherwise 11 and 23 should yield delicious deliciousisms if we go BPA.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

cmoss84 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:20 pm
BeforeIDie wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:13 pm Harbaugh said Mcarthy is the best QB in this draft. If he really meant that, he would be looking to move Herbie (who probably isn’t all that opposed to it after the going out of business sale) for 3 FRP, and more if the Vikes eat some of the contract. That would give the Chargers the best QB in the draft, allegedly, AND 4 FRPs in the next 2 years.

Gonna have to disagree on this take. Of course Harbaugh is going to talk up his kid. Chargers have a top 10 franchise QB...why trade him for lottery tickets?
The only way I want us to trade up is if it is #23 to move up to 8 (example) or we trade JJ for a guy KOC likes a lot. Otherwise 11 and 23 should yield delicious deliciousisms if we go BPA.
And one of those deliciousisms could definitely be a very good QB.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:53 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:57 pm
Even if McCarthy isn't there at 11, so what?

The draft buzz around QBs at this time of year always makes me shake my head in disbelief. I mean, look a the last 10+ years of QBs taken in the 1st round and it's easy to see why that is. So many of the guys who are overly hyped based on their college tape and "potential to develop" end up out of the league in a few years, much less becoming effective starters, and even fewer wind up becoming the franchise QBs of the teams that drafted them. Just look at Justin Fields as a perfect recent example of that. Or Zac Wilson. Or name-the-flavor-of-the-month. Even if the pre-draft evals all line up, the physicals all are great, and everyone from the guy's uncle to his coach to his former grade school classmates sing his praises as a person and leader, the vast majority of these guys end up living in a van down by the river (for those of you too young to know that reference, look up Matt Foley, Motivational Speaker).

I think the chances of JJ McCarthy turning into the next great franchise QB in the pros is maybe, maybe...., like .5% better than Bo Nix turning into that player. And that might be very generous as it is probably much less than that.

The whole point of the draft is to make the team better, and sure, finding a guy who can be an impact player at QB for the next 10+ years is worth a lot, but so is finding a guy who can be an impact DE, CB, WR, or any of the other positions that make up a TEAM. The name of the game in the draft is to improve the TEAM. So taking a swing at the most important position is fine if the swing is intentional and more likely to hit than not. But if the swing is wild or desperate at that position while it would be much more likely to hit at another position, then a guy like KAM should know better than to take the wild swing and go for the result that is likely to have a bigger impact.

Desperation drives poor decisions. A team ends up desperate because of poor past decisions. The best way to ensure continued desperation is making more poor decisions. The only way to get up off the floor after making poor decisions to is to stop making more poor decisions. Let others take the wild swings, and better yet, take advantage of their errors because the more of these QBs that end up going in the top 10 this year, the more really good and potentially great players at other positions have to fall.
Great post.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

I'm starting to lose my thinking that McCarthy might fall to 11. I won't be surprised now if he goes #2.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Getting a good even great QB is of course a good idea. if only it were as simple as just wanting one. Getting a qb as early as possible in the draft gives you a better chance of getting a great one. The Vikings have a very good pick top 3rd in the draft at 11 to get a good to great QB. We could trade up to increase that chance a bit, however that costs resources. It's up to Kwesi to decide if trading up is worth resources and how much resources. You know how I feel about his skill in figuring this out.