2024 NFL Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: 2024 NFL Draft

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I mentioned this mock where we got McCarthy at 11 earlier today, but I didn't check out who we got at 23. It was Jared Verse.

We could have had Murphy. He was still on the board.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:41 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:18 pm
Once the commanders are on the clock it will get interesting. They are dysfunctional. If we trade to pick 2 that will be an interesting. Then we will know their actual board.
As much as I like Daniels please don't do that. 4 first round picks could be a couple hall of famers we miss out on.
Based on the offense we run I don't see Daniels as the pick. I see Maye or JJ.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:04 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:41 pm
As much as I like Daniels please don't do that. 4 first round picks could be a couple hall of famers we miss out on.
Didn’t the Vikings try to trade up to draft Richardson last year? Wouldn’t the closest guy to that be Daniels this year?
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I'm seeing mocks now showing McCarthy going 3rd to the Patriots.

IF the Vikings are targeting McCarthy and IF he is off the board there, what then?

I would hope if KAM is positioning himself for a move up it is to get a specific guy and not just "the best of the rest" at a position. Everything suggests that guy is McCarthy, so I hope KAM has a plan for the situation where McCarthy is gone before he can pull off the move up.

In that situation I hope KAM would seriously consider trading back from #11. There could be a nice deal to trade that pick for a later pick in the 1st (maybe in the 20-30 range) and pick up a 2nd or high 3rd so he can get back into one of those rounds. He can still take a swing at a QB later in the 1st as someone like Nix or Penix is likely to be around at #23.
Tommy TarkenKapp
Rookie

Post by Tommy TarkenKapp »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:59 am I'm seeing mocks now showing McCarthy going 3rd to the Patriots.

IF the Vikings are targeting McCarthy and IF he is off the board there, what then?

I would hope if KAM is positioning himself for a move up it is to get a specific guy and not just "the best of the rest" at a position. Everything suggests that guy is McCarthy, so I hope KAM has a plan for the situation where McCarthy is gone before he can pull off the move up.

In that situation I hope KAM would seriously consider trading back from #11. There could be a nice deal to trade that pick for a later pick in the 1st (maybe in the 20-30 range) and pick up a 2nd or high 3rd so he can get back into one of those rounds. He can still take a swing at a QB later in the 1st as someone like Nix or Penix is likely to be around at #23.
I'm kinda leaning towards BPA at #11 if "their QB" is off the board before a viable trade up. There should be some quality CBs & DL ripe for the taking. We could really use some difference makers on defense. I'm not entirely opposed to a trade down so long as it's not too far down. After a decade plus of watching Rick Spielman's frequent trade downs for mostly misses and/or training camp fodder...I'm a little gun shy on the trade back philosophy.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:15 pm
cogitator wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:44 am

A little bit of chatter about the Jets and Giants taking a qb. Giants seem less likely than Jets to grab a qb. Also, someone behind the Vikings could jump up to grab a quarterback, Denver seeming to be the mostly likely team to do that.
With one of the three great WRs on the board the giants don't take a QB at 6. With how angry Aaron would get if they take a QB at 10 no way the Jets take one. Yeah Denver could trade ahead of us, but they love Nix and expect him to be available at 12 so no need. The Raiders would be the biggest threat, but I think they would be just fine with Penix.
The local chatter here in Denver this morning is the Broncos moving up to get JJ McCarthy. I think that came from Sean Payton at the owners meeting. So much disinformation floating around before the draft that it seems if someone actually says what they are going to do, they are probably thinking the opposite. The Broncos did spend 5 hours with McCarthy the day after his pro day. Denver doesn't seem to have a lot to offer to move up after their ill-considered Russell Wilson trade, and they gave up some stuff to get Payton.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2024/3/2 ... -realistic
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

allday1991 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:51 am
CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:04 am
Didn’t the Vikings try to trade up to draft Richardson last year? Wouldn’t the closest guy to that be Daniels this year?
I don't know if that is true or not. They certainly didn't add picks before the draft so I don't know what they would have used. We run a Shanny offense. It's not an RPO. That's what I see and that's the background KOC is from. I think Daniels is the guy who could drop. Yes the media has him going No 2 and perhaps an owner will tell the GM pick him for the fans and extra money. It's an entertainment business. Daniels is a guy who will help a team win right from the start. His play can be plugged in day 1. His TD pass totals were all over the board until year 5. Having Nabers certainly helped open the field up. He can blow the roof off. I also could be wrong and they will switch what they are doing.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

cogitator wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:31 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:15 pm

With one of the three great WRs on the board the giants don't take a QB at 6. With how angry Aaron would get if they take a QB at 10 no way the Jets take one. Yeah Denver could trade ahead of us, but they love Nix and expect him to be available at 12 so no need. The Raiders would be the biggest threat, but I think they would be just fine with Penix.
The local chatter here in Denver this morning is the Broncos moving up to get JJ McCarthy. I think that came from Sean Payton at the owners meeting. So much disinformation floating around before the draft that it seems if someone actually says what they are going to do, they are probably thinking the opposite. The Broncos did spend 5 hours with McCarthy the day after his pro day. Denver doesn't seem to have a lot to offer to move up after their ill-considered Russell Wilson trade, and they gave up some stuff to get Payton.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2024/3/2 ... -realistic
How far up? Did they say. Your right about the BS being floated. I'm sure they talked to many QBs. If they spent 5 hours and we spent a bunch of time then how long did JJ stay up to meet with the others? Or was it them and us as the only two interested.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:59 am I'm seeing mocks now showing McCarthy going 3rd to the Patriots.

I'm very convinced that if we don't take Nix at 11 he's going 12 to the Broncos. Good chance the Raiders take Penix at 13. I think if we don't move up our best option is to take McCarthy, Maye or Nix at 11 whoever is still there and take BPA at 23. When I look at the mock drafts the player I want Murphy is usually still on the board at 23 anyway and if he's not then Verse, Newton or DeJean are available. I think Penix will be a good player, but I don't want to go right back to having a QB with very limited mobility.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Tommy TarkenKapp wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:27 am

I'm kinda leaning towards BPA at #11 if "their QB" is off the board before a viable trade up. There should be some quality CBs & DL ripe for the taking. We could really use some difference makers on defense. I'm not entirely opposed to a trade down so long as it's not too far down. After a decade plus of watching Rick Spielman's frequent trade downs for mostly misses and/or training camp fodder...I'm a little gun shy on the trade back philosophy.
If they can't move up I don't want to see another trade down. I'm sick of that BS. He gave his first draft away doing that nonsense. I'd rather give up anything and everything to get the guy they feel is the best. If you get a great player versus a good player the great guy makes everyone else better. That's a huge lift.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Every mock I see has quality DL and or CBs available at pick 23. A lot of the time all the top 6 QBs are gone. QB at 11 BPA 23 is what I would advise Kwesi if I was in a position to advise him.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:41 am
allday1991 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:51 am

I don't know if that is true or not. They certainly didn't add picks before the draft so I don't know what they would have used. We run a Shanny offense. It's not an RPO. That's what I see and that's the background KOC is from. I think Daniels is the guy who could drop. Yes the media has him going No 2 and perhaps an owner will tell the GM pick him for the fans and extra money. It's an entertainment business. Daniels is a guy who will help a team win right from the start. His play can be plugged in day 1. His TD pass totals were all over the board until year 5. Having Nabers certainly helped open the field up. He can blow the roof off. I also could be wrong and they will switch what they are doing.
If you believe the insiders the Vikings put together a big offer to move up for Richardson. The insiders could be wrong.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:26 am

If they can't move up I don't want to see another trade down. I'm sick of that BS. He gave his first draft away doing that nonsense. I'd rather give up anything and everything to get the guy they feel is the best. If you get a great player versus a good player the great guy makes everyone else better. That's a huge lift.
Please not anything and everything. Not whatever it takes. Make a fair offer and if they turn us down WALK AWAY.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I'm sure KAM has a plan but it might not line up with what some think is the best. IMO the two best QBs in this draft are Caleb and Maye. They are the best total athletes and have shown they can make all the throws. The only way to get one of those is to move up to pick 2. JJM seems to be very close to them but being close don't count. KAM has painted himself into a corner and there is only one way out. Maye seems to have disappeared but he's still there. All the media attention is on JJM and the amount of teams interested keeps growing. The Commanders and Patriots are much like the Panthers. They are just too weak everywhere to even think a QB will turn the table. They will be wasting a rookie QB deal.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:15 pm

I'm sure KAM has a plan but it might not line up with what some think is the best. IMO the two best QBs in this draft are Caleb and Maye. They are the best total athletes and have shown they can make all the throws. The only way to get one of those is to move up to pick 2. JJM seems to be very close to them but being close don't count. KAM has painted himself into a corner and there is only one way out. Maye seems to have disappeared but he's still there. All the media attention is on JJM and the amount of teams interested keeps growing. The Commanders and Patriots are much like the Panthers. They are just too weak everywhere to even think a QB will turn the table. They will be wasting a rookie QB deal.
Maye is big strong and has a cannon arm. He also has a million flaws. If we don't trade up and take him I won't be surprised if he is available at 11.