2024 NFL Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: 2024 NFL Draft

Post by Maelstrom88 »

As of right now I'd like to see the Vikings take Quinyon Mitchell at pick 11 if they stay put. If they move down a bit I'd love to see Jackson Powers-Johnson or Fuaga.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:52 am Penix is having a great combine. All medicals looking good, measurables coming up great with 10.5 inch hands compared to McCarthy 9 inch hands. Throwing the ball better than every other QB there.

Nix having a very poor combine. I'm on the Penix bandwagon, but now I'm pretty sure we can't get him in the 2nd round.
Agreed on Penix bandwagon , but he probably goes earlier than our 2nd round pick. It would be a mistake to reach and take him at 12 though. If he falls to 42, then I'm guessing that the durability comes into question.
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:29 pm As of right now I'd like to see the Vikings take Quinyon Mitchell at pick 11 if they stay put. If they move down a bit I'd love to see Jackson Powers-Johnson or Fuaga.
I think 11 might be high for Mitchell. Not grossly out of whack, but based on the DE talent that is very likely to be on the board there Mitchell wouldn't be the best value KAM can get IMHO.

Jackson Powers I'd be happy about between 20-25 on a trade back. I'm not familiar with Fuaga.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Angels Wings wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:09 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 5:52 am Penix is having a great combine. All medicals looking good, measurables coming up great with 10.5 inch hands compared to McCarthy 9 inch hands. Throwing the ball better than every other QB there.

Nix having a very poor combine. I'm on the Penix bandwagon, but now I'm pretty sure we can't get him in the 2nd round.
Agreed on Penix bandwagon , but he probably goes earlier than our 2nd round pick. It would be a mistake to reach and take him at 12 though. If he falls to 42, then I'm guessing that the durability comes into question.
If Penix is fully healthy and plays to his potential I think he's worth serious consideration when the Vikings pick comes around in the 1st.

The problem I'd have with that, though, is Penix has had a long history of injuries that have affected his ability to play at a high level consistently. Think Sam Bradford.

If KAM spends his first rounder on Penix, he's really rolling the dice IMHO.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

We don't have the 12th pick, but I've seen this time and time again where people think we do. I wonder if there's an explanation for that.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:17 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:29 pm As of right now I'd like to see the Vikings take Quinyon Mitchell at pick 11 if they stay put. If they move down a bit I'd love to see Jackson Powers-Johnson or Fuaga.
I think 11 might be high for Mitchell. Not grossly out of whack, but based on the DE talent that is very likely to be on the board there Mitchell wouldn't be the best value KAM can get IMHO.

Jackson Powers I'd be happy about between 20-25 on a trade back. I'm not familiar with Fuaga.
That's true but he has been rising lately and I have a lot of questions about the edge guys that are supposed to go in that area. It's not necessary what I think they'll do as much as what I'd prefer.

Fuaga is an outstanding run blocker. He'd be an excellent guard right away.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:19 am

If Penix is fully healthy and plays to his potential I think he's worth serious consideration when the Vikings pick comes around in the 1st.

The problem I'd have with that, though, is Penix has had a long history of injuries that have affected his ability to play at a high level consistently. Think Sam Bradford.

The combine always throws a curve ball. Some of these players are also track guys. If you get the right setup and all the other stuff right that are needed to run, jump, leap ect.... then you have a great advantage in these drills. The most recent example was Hamilton falling to us and some didn't like him because his 40 time sucked. On film the guy made a play going across the field to pick a ball off. You don't see that very often. That can't be measured with a drill. That's reading and reacting. I wouldn't touch Penix in any early round. One injury can happen. But with him it's an over and over again occurrence. KAM can't throw away another 1st rounder or 2nd rounder. They need to be instant hits. I read C/G Tanor Bortolini who I like ran a great 40. I don't give a crap about that. What I care about is can you blow a guy off the LOS and can you hold the point. If you can't do that then your useless regardless of the 40 time.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:22 pm
VikingLord wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:19 am

The combine always throws a curve ball. Some of these players are also track guys. If you get the right setup and all the other stuff right that are needed to run, jump, leap ect.... then you have a great advantage in these drills. The most recent example was Hamilton falling to us and some didn't like him because his 40 time sucked. On film the guy made a play going across the field to pick a ball off. You don't see that very often. That can't be measured with a drill. That's reading and reacting. I wouldn't touch Penix in any early round. One injury can happen. But with him it's an over and over again occurrence. KAM can't throw away another 1st rounder or 2nd rounder. They need to be instant hits. I read C/G Tanor Bortolini who I like ran a great 40. I don't give a crap about that. What I care about is can you blow a guy off the LOS and can you hold the point. If you can't do that then your useless regardless of the 40 time.
Totally agree with you. Hard to know what to do given how dire the need can be at QB. When a top-rated player falls in the draft for a non-football reason (think Randy Moss), it's less risky because oftentimes the concerns are both overblown and happened when the guy was younger and less mature, but when a top-rated player falls due to a history of injuries in college, that is far more concerning from my perspective. All the talent in the world doesn't matter if the guy can't stay on the field.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:58 am
VikingLord wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:17 am

That's true but he has been riding lately and I have a lot of questions about the edge guys that are supposed to go in that area. It's not necessary what I think they'll do as much as what I'd prefer.

I'll have to read up on him. I probably haven't read much about him because I've been looking at the players at other positions. I would like to see the Vikings replace Ingram who I think has been terribly inconsistent and a major disappointment. I liked how Risner played at the other guard position and hope they keep him.

I thought Bradbury had his best season as a pro at center but would still like to see the center spot upgraded as Bradbury just doesn't hold up against the larger interior defenders. Everything I've read about Jackson Powers suggests he would provide that upgrade. Not sure if KAM would value him as a first rounder in a trade back scenario but he would likely replace Bradbury fairly quickly as the starting center if not right away.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:58 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:58 am

That's true but he has been riding lately and I have a lot of questions about the edge guys that are supposed to go in that area. It's not necessary what I think they'll do as much as what I'd prefer.

I'll have to read up on him. I probably haven't read much about him because I've been looking at the players at other positions. I would like to see the Vikings replace Ingram who I think has been terribly inconsistent and a major disappointment. I liked how Risner played at the other guard position and hope they keep him.

I thought Bradbury had his best season as a pro at center but would still like to see the center spot upgraded as Bradbury just doesn't hold up against the larger interior defenders. Everything I've read about Jackson Powers suggests he would provide that upgrade. Not sure if KAM would value him as a first rounder in a trade back scenario but he would likely replace Bradbury fairly quickly as the starting center if not right away.
I’d be beyond baffled if we don’t make a move on at least a tier two qb this year. We already kicked the bucket last year when everyone thought we were in the market, I can’t see us doing that again. Unless they see a qb next year that is guaranteed but nothing is guaranteed. I think rolling with our current qb room will all but guarantee jj is gone next year. Not to mention our young talent won’t stay young forever, time to grow a pair and take a chance.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:58 am Fuaga is an outstanding run blocker. He'd be an excellent guard right away.
I know why I hadn't read much on Fuaga - he's listed as an OT and I figured of the long list of needs the Vikings have heading into the draft, OT is not one of them so I just pretty much ignored any of the top OTs.

If Fuaga could play guard, though, he sounds like he'd be a great choice.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:05 pm

I know why I hadn't read much on Fuaga - he's listed as an OT and I figured of the long list of needs the Vikings have heading into the draft, OT is not one of them so I just pretty much ignored any of the top OTs.

If Fuaga could play guard, though, he sounds like he'd be a great choice.
I personally view him as more of a guard than a tackle. I sort my guards and tackles based on arm length. Over 34 inch arms= OT; Under= Guard. He sits at 33 1/8 inch arms so I'd slide him inside. I'd kick Ed over to LG and start Fuaga at RG as a rookie.
mael·strom

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

QB Tier is defined many different ways but here is a Tier 1 QB definition.
A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. He expertly handles pure-passing situations. He has no real holes in his game.Dec 14, 2023
Caleb is considered the best in the draft or Tier 1 and was 1-5 in his last 6 games. That's tier 3. Then in the bowl game they win easily and some backup throws 6 TD passes and wasn't sacked at all. Maybe tier 4 after that. How is this guy considered the best? I wouldn't take him at 11 in any round before 5. Of course for the owners they will sell tickets and a bunch of other crap so that will generate additional revenue and exposure which is a win. In that regard he is the best but any QB picked No 1 will do the same. If the Bears take Daniels it will probably be best. That's almost the ideal fit for them. Him and Fields are close. Both are 1000 yard rushers and show flashes of passing ability every now and then. They can keep the team intact because of same style. I realize the over drafting of QBs is a given but this year goes well beyond that. These top 3 guys look like 4th to 6th rounders. We are better off waiting until much later and just throw a dart at the QB board. I think that's what the 49ers and others do. Sometimes it works, Purdy, and sometime it's a colossal miss Lance. We'll hit another Thigpen or Dills. For such a strong class I'm not sold at all. Looks like a bunch of Mond / Hall prospects who will go top 10. Makes you wonder about these lower guys like Pratt, Milton, Rattler and the rest of them.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Speaking of Lance...some rumors about us trading for him (4th?).
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

cmoss84 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:22 pm Speaking of Lance...some rumors about us trading for him (4th?).
What worries me about Trey Lance right now is that he just hasn't seen the field much as a pro. I realize Purdy ended up winning the job outright, but if Lance had shown much of anything even if that was just potential I'd have to imagine the 49ers would have already made a move to get something for him. The fact they haven't could mean they just wanted to keep him around for insurance if Purdy started struggling or went down with an injury or something, but it also could indicate that other teams just weren't all that interested. In a league that overvalues the QB position, that gives me pause about whether Lance would even be worth a 4th at this point.

It seems like there are several fairly young former high draft picks at QB who are on the market or available this offseason. Justin Fields, Zac Wilson, and Lance are all guys that were over-drafted the year they came out and whose teams are moving on from them apparently. I think there is a real temptation to frame a player's potential in terms of where some other QB-needy team drafted him the year he came out, but all of those guys are now pretty well known quantities as pros. Any team willing to part with valuable draft capital to acquire a player like that will have to be pretty sure that whatever went wrong in their past situation that prevented them from justifying their former draft status is something specific to that situation and not something inherent in the player that is going to follow him to his new home.

Put another way, the Vikings already have a known, flawed guy on the team in Nick Mullens. Nick wasn't drafted as high as the other names mentioned here, but in terms of what he's done as a pro, he's been as good/reliable as any of them for the most part. If you already have Nick Mullens on your roster, what sense does it make to trade a 4th rounder for another guy who is going to play as well as Nick Mullens?