2024 NFL Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

BeforeIDie
Backup

Re: 2024 NFL Draft

Post by BeforeIDie »

cmoss84 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:20 pm
BeforeIDie wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:13 pm Harbaugh said Mcarthy is the best QB in this draft. If he really meant that, he would be looking to move Herbie (who probably isn’t all that opposed to it after the going out of business sale) for 3 FRP, and more if the Vikes eat some of the contract. That would give the Chargers the best QB in the draft, allegedly, AND 4 FRPs in the next 2 years.

If, and when, Harbaugh does not do that… it stands as proof that he is being overly generous about Mcarthy. I don’t want to call it a lie, cause he’s just beefing up his guy. But buyer beware, if Harbaugh doesn’t take his guy + 3 FRP and maybe a second…. Then why would anyone else overspend for the kid. Harbaugh won’t even take him for ONE FRP, but the Vikings should trade THREE FRPs to get him?
Gonna have to disagree on this take. Of course Harbaugh is going to talk up his kid. Chargers have a top 10 franchise QB...why trade him for lottery tickets?
The only way I want us to trade up is if it is #23 to move up to 8 (example) or we trade JJ for a guy KOC likes a lot. Otherwise 11 and 23 should yield delicious deliciousisms if we go BPA.
I know Harbaugh is just juicing up his kid. But if he actually meant it, then JJMc, + 3 FRP’s equal to or not equal to Herbie. Especially considering the cupboard is bare for the Chargers and Herbie hasn’t had playoff success even with a stacked cupboard. Besides that, Harbaugh likes a run heavy offense. Is Herbie a waste in such an offense. I’m just speculating. The only way I’d be happy about the Vikings trading 3 FRPs would be for the Herbster. Not for any QB in this draft, including the sweet boy Caleb. When a draft is DEEP in QB talent, maybe not the worst time to sit and pick.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:35 pm Warren Ludford
@wludford
My take is that the #Vikings, #Patriots, and #Commanders all like Jayden Daniels best, the Pats and Vikes like JJ McCarthy, but only the Vikes like Maye. The Pats may trade down with the Vikes if Daniels isn't there at #3, but only if the Vikes take Maye so the Pats can take McCarthy later.

Also if the Vikes don't take Maye, he could be this year's Will Levis.

However, I believe the Vikings will give up 4 FRPs to move up to 3 and take Maye there.
Jayden who did nothing his first 4 years and then in year 5 had a great season is number one with all these teams? Plus he can fit in any system. That's stretching it too far. Say the truth he's a big play guy that looks for the home run and if that's not there it's off to the races looking for the goal line. One read and then off. Nothing new it's old hat. But it will sell tickets and product. JJM is the guy they want because he seems to fit the offense we run best. However I don't see him falling to 11.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

BeforeIDie wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:13 pm Harbaugh said Mcarthy is the best QB in this draft. If he really meant that, he would be looking to move Herbie (who probably isn’t all that opposed to it after the going out of business sale) for 3 FRP, and more if the Vikes eat some of the contract. That would give the Chargers the best QB in the draft, allegedly, AND 4 FRPs in the next 2 years.

If, and when, Harbaugh does not do that… it stands as proof that he is being overly generous about Mcarthy. I don’t want to call it a lie, cause he’s just beefing up his guy. But buyer beware, if Harbaugh doesn’t take his guy + 3 FRP and maybe a second…. Then why would anyone else overspend for the kid. Harbaugh won’t even take him for ONE FRP, but the Vikings should trade THREE FRPs to get him?
Someone will overspend if they have nothing in the cupboard. JJM could be the best in this class as Harbaugh said but that don't mean the best is better than Herbert. Speculating on QBs is extremely difficult. Young already looks like a bust. That team provided nothing around starting with a weak OL. There isn't a QB walking that would thrive in that environment. The Jets killed how many of them.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

We are in the dead zone right now but I will say the talk of QBs has been interesting. Everybody has their favorites and guys they wouldn't touch. If you called all of these a bust you would have an extremely high hit rate. The media throws anything out there for the look. That's the business they are in. Most fans can't agree on if a guy is a good or bad QB outside of Mahomes. Any player we pick will never be him. I remember when Watson was the one to get. I can't remember the last time he did anything. I have no idea who they like but based on the signings they have made I think that provides a base for what they are looking for.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:42 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:35 pm Warren Ludford
@wludford
My take is that the #Vikings, #Patriots, and #Commanders all like Jayden Daniels best, the Pats and Vikes like JJ McCarthy, but only the Vikes like Maye. The Pats may trade down with the Vikes if Daniels isn't there at #3, but only if the Vikes take Maye so the Pats can take McCarthy later.

Also if the Vikes don't take Maye, he could be this year's Will Levis.

However, I believe the Vikings will give up 4 FRPs to move up to 3 and take Maye there.
Jayden who did nothing his first 4 years and then in year 5 had a great season is number one with all these teams? Plus he can fit in any system. That's stretching it too far. Say the truth he's a big play guy that looks for the home run and if that's not there it's off to the races looking for the goal line. One read and then off. Nothing new it's old hat. But it will sell tickets and product. JJM is the guy they want because he seems to fit the offense we run best. However I don't see him falling to 11.
I like Daniels. Ludford was assuming Caleb first and gone to the Bears. He believes teams have Daniels 2nd.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

BeforeIDie wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:13 pm
cmoss84 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:20 pm

Gonna have to disagree on this take. Of course Harbaugh is going to talk up his kid. Chargers have a top 10 franchise QB...why trade him for lottery tickets?
The only way I want us to trade up is if it is #23 to move up to 8 (example) or we trade JJ for a guy KOC likes a lot. Otherwise 11 and 23 should yield delicious deliciousisms if we go BPA.
I know Harbaugh is just juicing up his kid. But if he actually meant it, then JJMc, + 3 FRP’s equal to or not equal to Herbie. Especially considering the cupboard is bare for the Chargers and Herbie hasn’t had playoff success even with a stacked cupboard. Besides that, Harbaugh likes a run heavy offense. Is Herbie a waste in such an offense. I’m just speculating. The only way I’d be happy about the Vikings trading 3 FRPs would be for the Herbster. Not for any QB in this draft, including the sweet boy Caleb. When a draft is DEEP in QB talent, maybe not the worst time to sit and pick.
The instant Herbert is traded $105 million hits the Chargers salary cap. He simply can't be traded.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:46 pm
BeforeIDie wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:13 pm

The instant Herbert is traded $105 million hits the Chargers salary cap. He simply can't be traded.
I don’t understand the contract stuff. Can it not be renegotiated/reorganized/renamed or allow the Vikings to absorb some of that? Ya know how teams will give players the same money, but call half of it a “bonus” or something so it doesn’t hit the cap, or shift the cost down the line over several years.

Bucky Brooks put out a mock draft today that had the Pats taking JJM, and Maye slipped to the Vikes at 11, then we got Cooper DeJean at 23. Made my mouth water.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

BeforeIDie wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:26 pm
I don’t understand the contract stuff. Can it not be renegotiated/reorganized/renamed or allow the Vikings to absorb some of that? Ya know how teams will give players the same money, but call half of it a “bonus” or something so it doesn’t hit the cap, or shift the cost down the line over several years.

Bucky Brooks put out a mock draft today that had the Pats taking JJM, and Maye slipped to the Vikes at 11, then we got Cooper DeJean at 23. Made my mouth water.
I've been telling people that Maye will slide and nobody wants to believe me. I don't think anything can be done regarding the cap hit.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:44 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:42 am
I like Daniels. Ludford was assuming Caleb first and gone to the Bears. He believes teams have Daniels 2nd.
That's fair. From what I read he's the guy that can be inserted from day 1 more so than any other QB in the draft. I believe this because his game translates easier if they just let him play his game. RG III did it and Lamar has done it. Of course every WR the Ravens had wanted out. Like always the Ravens never let there D turn to crap which helped. Shanny tried to change RG III to fit his offense but that's not an easy process. The Commanders look like the fit. There new OC runs the AZ offense. This makes sense because right now they need a player to lift the franchise out of the free fall they are in. We are in a free fall also but I don't see Jayden fitting what KOC wants.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:22 pm

I've been telling people that Maye will slide and nobody wants to believe me. I don't think anything can be done regarding the cap hit.
I believe you. After watching his highlights nothing jumps out. The kid from SD State looks better to me and he won't get drafted. Of course this is a 10 cent evaluation. The pros watch hours and that includes seeing the coverage ect... Even they can't hit.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:17 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:22 pm
I believe you. After watching his highlights nothing jumps out. The kid from SD State looks better to me and he won't get drafted. Of course this is a 10 cent evaluation. The pros watch hours and that includes seeing the coverage ect... Even they can't hit.
Out of the top 4 Maye was my least favourite as well, for having a canon arm a lot of his throws especially on his highlights were under thrown. His Wrs bailed him out more than a few times. That and I have McCarthy as a better overall athlete, faster etc. I also have a gut feeling he slides and I also think we take him. He’s got a decent ceiling but needs a tone of work.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

allday1991 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:34 am
CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:17 am
Out of the top 4 Maye was my least favourite as well, for having a canon arm a lot of his throws especially on his highlights were under thrown. His Wrs bailed him out more than a few times. That and I have McCarthy as a better overall athlete, faster etc. I also have a gut feeling he slides and I also think we take him. He’s got a decent ceiling but needs a tone of work.
I see Maye needing a couple years of coaching before he's remotely ready to take the field. The potential is very high though. Unfortunately I see Kwesi trading up for him using 3 or possibly 4 FRPs.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:53 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:57 pm
Yep lots of buzz and Kwesi is stupid enough when it comes to drafting that he may give up 3 FRPs to move up, but if we wait McCarthy could be there at 11.
Even if McCarthy isn't there at 11, so what?

The draft buzz around QBs at this time of year always makes me shake my head in disbelief. I mean, look a the last 10+ years of QBs taken in the 1st round and it's easy to see why that is. So many of the guys who are overly hyped based on their college tape and "potential to develop" end up out of the league in a few years, much less becoming effective starters, and even fewer wind up becoming the franchise QBs of the teams that drafted them. Just look at Justin Fields as a perfect recent example of that. Or Zac Wilson. Or name-the-flavor-of-the-month. Even if the pre-draft evals all line up, the physicals all are great, and everyone from the guy's uncle to his coach to his former grade school classmates sing his praises as a person and leader, the vast majority of these guys end up living in a van down by the river (for those of you too young to know that reference, look up Matt Foley, Motivational Speaker).

I think the chances of JJ McCarthy turning into the next great franchise QB in the pros is maybe, maybe...., like .5% better than Bo Nix turning into that player. And that might be very generous as it is probably much less than that.

The whole point of the draft is to make the team better, and sure, finding a guy who can be an impact player at QB for the next 10+ years is worth a lot, but so is finding a guy who can be an impact DE, CB, WR, or any of the other positions that make up a TEAM. The name of the game in the draft is to improve the TEAM. So taking a swing at the most important position is fine if the swing is intentional and more likely to hit than not. But if the swing is wild or desperate at that position while it would be much more likely to hit at another position, then a guy like KAM should know better than to take the wild swing and go for the result that is likely to have a bigger impact.

Desperation drives poor decisions. A team ends up desperate because of poor past decisions. The best way to ensure continued desperation is making more poor decisions. The only way to get up off the floor after making poor decisions to is to stop making more poor decisions. Let others take the wild swings, and better yet, take advantage of their errors because the more of these QBs that end up going in the top 10 this year, the more really good and potentially great players at other positions have to fall.
Desperation drives poor decisions. I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. Right now we are desperate. More than likely another poor decision is coming up. If there's a 10+ year QB in this or any draft it don't happen very often. Few QBs are given the chance to learn before being thrown to the wolves. It's get in there and if you suck we are moving on. If you look at that 1983 class you had this in round 1. John Elway, Todd Blackledge, Jim Kelly, Tony Eason, Ken O'Brien, and Dan Marino. 3 HOFers. Some say Caleb would be an Elway type prospect if he was taller. Once if is thrown in there that indicates a big problem. Bottom line here we sit with nothing at QB. Do they expect the Addisons ect to be happy having the next stiff throws passes that can't be caught? IMO letting Cousins walk was stupid because we had zero behind him. At least with him in there I was entertained and you always had a chance even with a less than average supporting cast. The guy got another bag for a reason and it's not because he sucks.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:57 am
VikingLord wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:53 pm

Even if McCarthy isn't there at 11, so what?

The draft buzz around QBs at this time of year always makes me shake my head in disbelief. I mean, look a the last 10+ years of QBs taken in the 1st round and it's easy to see why that is. So many of the guys who are overly hyped based on their college tape and "potential to develop" end up out of the league in a few years, much less becoming effective starters, and even fewer wind up becoming the franchise QBs of the teams that drafted them. Just look at Justin Fields as a perfect recent example of that. Or Zac Wilson. Or name-the-flavor-of-the-month. Even if the pre-draft evals all line up, the physicals all are great, and everyone from the guy's uncle to his coach to his former grade school classmates sing his praises as a person and leader, the vast majority of these guys end up living in a van down by the river (for those of you too young to know that reference, look up Matt Foley, Motivational Speaker).

I think the chances of JJ McCarthy turning into the next great franchise QB in the pros is maybe, maybe...., like .5% better than Bo Nix turning into that player. And that might be very generous as it is probably much less than that.

The whole point of the draft is to make the team better, and sure, finding a guy who can be an impact player at QB for the next 10+ years is worth a lot, but so is finding a guy who can be an impact DE, CB, WR, or any of the other positions that make up a TEAM. The name of the game in the draft is to improve the TEAM. So taking a swing at the most important position is fine if the swing is intentional and more likely to hit than not. But if the swing is wild or desperate at that position while it would be much more likely to hit at another position, then a guy like KAM should know better than to take the wild swing and go for the result that is likely to have a bigger impact.

Desperation drives poor decisions. A team ends up desperate because of poor past decisions. The best way to ensure continued desperation is making more poor decisions. The only way to get up off the floor after making poor decisions to is to stop making more poor decisions. Let others take the wild swings, and better yet, take advantage of their errors because the more of these QBs that end up going in the top 10 this year, the more really good and potentially great players at other positions have to fall.
Desperation drives poor decisions. I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. Right now we are desperate. More than likely another poor decision is coming up. If there's a 10+ year QB in this or any draft it don't happen very often. Few QBs are given the chance to learn before being thrown to the wolves. It's get in there and if you suck we are moving on. If you look at that 1983 class you had this in round 1. John Elway, Todd Blackledge, Jim Kelly, Tony Eason, Ken O'Brien, and Dan Marino. 3 HOFers. Some say Caleb would be an Elway type prospect if he was taller. Once if is thrown in there that indicates a big problem. Bottom line here we sit with nothing at QB. Do they expect the Addisons ect to be happy having the next stiff throws passes that can't be caught? IMO letting Cousins walk was stupid because we had zero behind him. At least with him in there I was entertained and you always had a chance even with a less than average supporting cast. The guy got another bag for a reason and it's not because he sucks.
WOW! Pure genius. Once if is thrown in there that indicates a big problem. Profound. These guys aren't Elway, Luck or Burrow. That's why I'm not in favor of us doing "whatever it takes" to get "our guy.". Kirk is a very good QB, but we couldn't afford what it was going to cost to keep him. Maybe we should have given him his 2 year extension at $37.5 Million he offered us before last season.
Tommy TarkenKapp
Rookie

Post by Tommy TarkenKapp »

That scenario would be super sweet.