2024 NFL Draft

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: 2024 NFL Draft

Post by CharVike »

Watching Nix and JJ game highlights they do much of the same thing stand in the pocket and when it breaks down they roll either way looking for a guy. Both are active. I will say when JJ rolls out the speed is beyond Nix and when then do throw a pass JJ has much more zip on the ball. It's not that Nix has no arm because he completed long balls but it's not JJ arm. JJ can throw a flat laser down the field which you don't see often. Plus the ball comes out quick. No big wind up needed. People have compared Nix to Brees which I agree with and why Denver appears to be in love. Michigan had a powerhouse team and JJ rode it. At least he didn't play at a level that cost them games and that says something also. Nix played 5 years and is 24. He started 54 college games the most in history which certainly helps. It should help being ready to step in day 1 also. For a coach that would be great. Maybe he will be the pick just based on readiness. Rookie contract don't help if the guy is standing on the sideline.
Last edited by CharVike on Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

If these draft simulators can be trusted (they can't ) they are showing us getting MUCH better results by sticking and picking or trading back. Here's my tradeback draft. I added 2 2nd round picks and a 3rd round pick in next years draft.

Byron Murphy II
DT Texas
Bo Nix
QB Oregon
Kamari Lassiter
CB Georgia
Sedrick Van Pran-Granger
OC Georgia
Will Shipley
RB Clemson
Zak Zinter
OG Michigan
Tahj Washington
WR USC
Tykee Smith
S Georgia
Sam Hartman
QB Notre Dame
Myles Cole
EDGE Texas Tech
2025 DET 2nd
2025 KC 2nd
2025 DET 3rd

I got potential superstar DT Byron Murphy and a great QB prospect Bo Nix. Good CB prospect Lassiter and great C prospect Van Pran.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

I KNOW that I’m cheerleading for Penix a little too much. But the ONLY knock I hear people say about him is his injury history. Ya know why? Cause it IS the only knock. It’s the only thing keeping him from being considered for number 1 overall alongside the sweet boy, Caleb. But as far as I know, Penix has been fine for the past 2 years. Anyone could get hurt on any play, even get their heart stopped. It reminds me of how Moss fell so far in the draft, for character concerns… for “what ifs”. Oh what if he gets busted for weed and can’t play, what if he moons the crowd and gets suspended. What if Penix gets hurt Blah blah blah what if what if what if. Ya know what’s NOT a “what if”, the kid’s arm. That’s a known quantity. And it’s the best in this draft, and the one before it, and the one after it.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

BeforeIDie wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:07 pm I KNOW that I’m cheerleading for Penix a little too much. But the ONLY knock I hear people say about him is his injury history. Ya know why? Cause it IS the only knock. It’s the only thing keeping him from being considered for number 1 overall alongside the sweet boy, Caleb. But as far as I know, Penix has been fine for the past 2 years. Anyone could get hurt on any play, even get their heart stopped. It reminds me of how Moss fell so far in the draft, for character concerns… for “what ifs”. Oh what if he gets busted for weed and can’t play, what if he moons the crowd and gets suspended. What if Penix gets hurt Blah blah blah what if what if what if. Ya know what’s NOT a “what if”, the kid’s arm. That’s a known quantity. And it’s the best in this draft, and the one before it, and the one after it.
Every player is a what if. Another knock is he hasn't shown the ability to make touch passes and the intermediate passes. He has been compared to Levis who went in round 2. When you say best arm that means something different to everybody. Yes he can throw it 90 yards. Can he drop it in a bucket from 90 yards? You need more than just a big arm. Can he take speed off the ball. Can he loop it in between defenders and drop it in?
From Daniel Jeremiah
"I thought that the thing that showed up in the championship game, No. 1, they hit the stuffing out of it," Jeremiah said of the downfield throw. "They got to him. I thought that kind of rattled him a little bit from that standpoint. I didn't think the pocket movement was as good as we saw in the previous game."
The draft expert went on to say that Penix hasn't shown yet he can make a shorter up-and-down throw over the middle of the defense, which is a much more delicate touch pass.
He could still go in the 1st round. Nobody knows how teams have him ranked. You can ignore the injury history but that would be foolish. He me never get hurt again. Based on the past he seems more capable of getting hurt than most of the guys in front of him.
This was his 6th college season. That's a joke. No wonder he finally started to dominate. Eventually with the pay an eligibility open forever we will have 35 year old rookies.
College always was the NFL minor leagues and like the minors guys will play college until their skills are maxed out.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

Joe Milton looks to have the strongest arm in this draft. I don’t consider that the “best” arm. This is all subjective. I can probably cherry pick some article about the way Penix played in the Sugar Bowl that points to the exact opposite of what Jeremiah said in his article about the Natty. This whole age thing is weird. JJM is 21, I think Penix is 23/24. So let me get this straight, the assumption is that they will both be so good that we are already factoring in their ages when they sign their second extension?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

BeforeIDie wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:07 pm I KNOW that I’m cheerleading for Penix a little too much. But the ONLY knock I hear people say about him is his injury history. Ya know why? Cause it IS the only knock. It’s the only thing keeping him from being considered for number 1 overall alongside the sweet boy, Caleb. But as far as I know, Penix has been fine for the past 2 years. Anyone could get hurt on any play, even get their heart stopped. It reminds me of how Moss fell so far in the draft, for character concerns… for “what ifs”. Oh what if he gets busted for weed and can’t play, what if he moons the crowd and gets suspended. What if Penix gets hurt Blah blah blah what if what if what if. Ya know what’s NOT a “what if”, the kid’s arm. That’s a known quantity. And it’s the best in this draft, and the one before it, and the one after it.
I like Penix just fine, but he definitely has another knock. Unlike all the other consensus top QBs he has no mobility and can't create plays when things break down. That is a big deal.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

BeforeIDie wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:28 am Joe Milton looks to have the strongest arm in this draft. I don’t consider that the “best” arm. This is all subjective. I can probably cherry pick some article about the way Penix played in the Sugar Bowl that points to the exact opposite of what Jeremiah said in his article about the Natty. This whole age thing is weird. JJM is 21, I think Penix is 23/24. So let me get this straight, the assumption is that they will both be so good that we are already factoring in their ages when they sign their second extension?
Your right best arm is subjective. You were looking for the negatives besides the injury concern. IMO a player who is 23 versus 20 has an advantage from the physical and mental development. That age bracket a few years is huge. I also see playing 6 seasons versus 2 or 3 is huge. Yes he was hurt but he was still around the action and played. I don't see him drafted round 1. His lack of movement won't help either.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:30 pm
BeforeIDie wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:28 am Joe Milton looks to have the strongest arm in this draft. I don’t consider that the “best” arm. This is all subjective. I can probably cherry pick some article about the way Penix played in the Sugar Bowl that points to the exact opposite of what Jeremiah said in his article about the Natty. This whole age thing is weird. JJM is 21, I think Penix is 23/24. So let me get this straight, the assumption is that they will both be so good that we are already factoring in their ages when they sign their second extension?
Your right best arm is subjective. You were looking for the negatives besides the injury concern. IMO a player who is 23 versus 20 has an advantage from the physical and mental development. That age bracket a few years is huge. I also see playing 6 seasons versus 2 or 3 is huge. Yes he was hurt but he was still around the action and played. I don't see him drafted round 1. His lack of movement won't help either.
I'm very confident 6 QBs will be drafted in Round 1 Penix being one of them. My best guess is pick 13 to the Raiders.
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

Age, arm talent, yards thrown etc or whatever ever matrix you want but which one had “it”. Kirk has a great arm, ball placement and smarts but he lacks “it”. I’d rather have a qb that can get the regular stuff done but have that thing in him that makes a winner. In my opinion.
BeforeIDie
Backup

Post by BeforeIDie »

It’s all a gamble. But it seems to me, that Penix has both a higher ceiling AND perhaps a lower floor than Mcarthy. But I don’t see any “mortgage the future” mock draft on Penix. So it seems the safer decision to sit and pick (maybe get Penix at 23) who COULD (I’m not Miss Cleo) end up better than Mcarthy anyway. Mcarthy is not a Joe Burrow pick. Even Maye, I see talk about him being “RAW”. What the F. How about no 3 FR picks being dealt in this lottery.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:24 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:30 pm
I'm very confident 6 QBs will be drafted in Round 1 Penix being one of them. My best guess is pick 13 to the Raiders.
I saw a mock that had the Raiders take him round 2. Once the draft hits the point past the QB desperate teams he could fall out. It's not a Rodgers fall who was considered pick 1 by many. There should be some great talent at the Raiders spot and they may go for that instead.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

I don't know who Brett Kollman is, but his thought processes are pure genius IMO.

Brett Kollmann
@BrettKollmann
I feel like picks 2, 3, 4, and 5 all lining up for the chance to get Minnesota's picks should be some kind of warning sign to all of us.

I don't know what that warning is yet, but it's there.
4:02 PM · Mar 24, 2024
·
Views
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:18 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:24 pm
I saw a mock that had the Raiders take him round 2. Once the draft hits the point past the QB desperate teams he could fall out. It's not a Rodgers fall who was considered pick 1 by many. There should be some great talent at the Raiders spot and they may go for that instead.
It could happen, but I really doubt it. I'm sticking with my projection of him going to the Raiders at pick 13.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:25 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:18 pm
It could happen, but I really doubt it. I'm sticking with my projection of him going to the Raiders at pick 13.
Once the commanders are on the clock it will get interesting. They are dysfunctional. If we trade to pick 2 that will be an interesting. Then we will know their actual board.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:18 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:25 pm
Once the commanders are on the clock it will get interesting. They are dysfunctional. If we trade to pick 2 that will be an interesting. Then we will know their actual board.
As much as I like Daniels please don't do that. 4 first round picks could be a couple hall of famers we miss out on.