2024 Free Agents

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

makila
Franchise Player

Re: 2024 Free Agents

Post by makila »

IIsweet wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:27 am I was wondering... We will have over $100m in cap space next year. The Vikings might think Darnold could be better than the current group of rookie QBs. Just needs to be surrounded by a good coaching staff. Do we have a strong roster after these additions? Do we need to accumulate draft picks?
Kwesi was in the futures stock market , hopefully they, GM and Scouts, are already looking at the '25 draft classes and impending FA's.
Maybe our QB is in the building? Maybe he is going to be a FA next year?
Maybe we are planning on trading down for additional picks next year to move up for a particular QB?
Maybe we are trading JJ for an impressive haul of picks like KC did?
Maybe.... They like Nix and know that he will be there at 11.
I think there's enough tape on Darnold to know that he likely isn't long time starter material. However, I do think he's got a little upside still. He seems to understand his role, which is a big plus. He is in a better situation with offensive talent and scheme here than he had in NY or Car. Obviously SF offensive system is strong.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I think Darnold might surprise if they can get some better blocking in front of him.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

allday1991 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:02 am Vikings just traded up for the Texans 23rd overall pick. Vikings get 23rd overall and the 232nd overall. Texans receive the 42nd overall pick this year and the 188th pick in 2025. I like the trade but what does this mean? Are we trading up? Taking a defender at 11 and Penix or Bo at 23? Thoughts? I like the trade.
My best guess on this move would be the Vikings are targeting one of the 2nd tier QB prospects and don't want to risk a team taking that prospect before their 2nd round pick came around, but also don't want to spend #11 on him as there will be better value there, likely at DE.

I'm going to guess they'll go for someone like Verse at #11 and Penix at #23.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

allday1991 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:02 am Vikings just traded up for the Texans 23rd overall pick. Vikings get 23rd overall and the 232nd overall. Texans receive the 42nd overall pick this year and the 188th pick in 2025. I like the trade but what does this mean? Are we trading up? Taking a defender at 11 and Penix or Bo at 23? Thoughts? I like the trade.
In the deal, the Vikings acquired the No. 23 overall pick in the first round and the No. 232 selection (seventh round). The Texans get No. 42 overall (second round), No. 188 (sixth round), and a second-round pick in 2025, per Rapoport and Pelissero.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:22 am
My best guess on this move would be the Vikings are targeting one of the 2nd tier QB prospects and don't want to risk a team taking that prospect before their 2nd round pick came around, but also don't want to spend #11 on him as there will be better value there, likely at DE.

We've already added 4 Edge rushers. I can't see us going for 5. I'm expecting DT or CB at 11 if not a QB.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Bears trading QB Justin Fields to Steelers in exchange for 2025 conditional sixth-round pick
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:22 am
VikingLord wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:22 am

We've already added 4 Edge rushers. I can't see us going for 5. I'm expecting DT or CB at 11 if not a QB.
If they consider Verse being a much better player than the players obtain via FA they have to take him. Pass rushers are valuable in the NFL. Trade one for a high pick and use that for something else. 2 QBs I don't want are Daniels, who we won't draft anyway because of scheme fit, or Penix because of the over and over injury bug. Every pick has a risk but some risk you shouldn't take unless it's much later. Caleb will go No 1 and then after that who knows. Maye is falling off a cliff according to the media/experts and could sink into the 20s. It's happened before like Rodgers. Daniels? Washington must be the team unless they grab a teir 2.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Cliff wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:05 pm
Bears trading QB Justin Fields to Steelers in exchange for 2025 conditional sixth-round pick
That's about the best fit for Fields. There is a veteran in place who can help him and that veteran could be benched if he sucks again. The Steelers have little money invested into Wilson. A free prove it year. I thought Pickett was a great choice. So much for that one.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:43 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:22 am
If they consider Verse being a much better player than the players obtain via FA they have to take him. Pass rushers are valuable in the NFL. Trade one for a high pick and use that for something else. 2 QBs I don't want are Daniels, who we won't draft anyway because of scheme fit, or Penix because of the over and over injury bug. Every pick has a risk but some risk you shouldn't take unless it's much later. Caleb will go No 1 and then after that who knows. Maye is falling off a cliff according to the media/experts and could sink into the 20s. It's happened before like Rodgers. Daniels? Washington must be the team unless they grab a teir 2.
If the Vikings do trade up, it would probably be for a Daniels. You have to expect that QB's will be drafted in the top 3. No other team after that has a need fora QB (maybe the Giants), so a guy like Penix, Nix or Hardy at 23 sounds viable. As for 11, I'm also expecting a DToe CB at 11. OL wouldn't be bad either.
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Angels Wings wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:02 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:43 pm
If the Vikings do trade up, it would probably be for a Daniels. You have to expect that QB's will be drafted in the top 3. No other team after that has a need fora QB (maybe the Giants), so a guy like Penix, Nix or Hardy at 23 sounds viable. As for 11, I'm also expecting a DToe CB at 11. OL wouldn't be bad either.
I believe Daniels is unobtainable. Washington will take him at 2 unless we offer 4 FRPs and that's insanity.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Davenport signs with Lions
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:56 pm
Angels Wings wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:02 am

I believe Daniels is unobtainable. Washington will take him at 2 unless we offer 4 FRPs and that's insanity.
I have think that they're contemplating moving up or else they wouldn't have gotten the 1st from Houston. That being said, I agree that it would take a king's ransom to get that 2nd pick which I agree that the Vikings would be foolish to try attain. They can get their choice of Maye or Nix or even Penix in the late 1st.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Angels Wings wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:50 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:56 pm
I have think that they're contemplating moving up or else they wouldn't have gotten the 1st from Houston. That being said, I agree that it would take a king's ransom to get that 2nd pick which I agree that the Vikings would be foolish to try attain. They can get their choice of Maye or Nix or even Penix in the late 1st.
Do either of you think that the Chargers would deal Herbert? Perhaps our 2 1st rounders and JJ? Then Harbough can select JJ Mc and have his own guy plus fix his cap and WR problem. That could be a gain for both teams. I don't think KAM wants to pay JJ the money he is looking for.
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:43 pm
Angels Wings wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:50 pm

Do either of you think that the Chargers would deal Herbert? Perhaps our 2 1st rounders and JJ? Then Harbough can select JJ Mc and have his own guy plus fix his cap and WR problem. That could be a gain for both teams. I don't think KAM wants to pay JJ the money he is looking for.
If the Chargers are dealing Herbert, then the GM would need to be drug tested :lol:

That being said, I'm not dealing JJ for him. The 2 1sts and something else, but definitely not JJ in the deal. A Herbert JJ, TJ, AJ and JA would be a lethal offense with O'Connell. But, I think Herbert was probably the reason that Harbaugh took the job to begin with