Off-season Prediction Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Off-season Prediction Thread

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Re-sign:

Kirk for 2 years 35 million per

Extend:

JJ for 5 seasons 31 million per

Tag:

Hunter

Draft:

Dallas Turner in round 1

Flores returns

Let's hear yours!
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Off-season Prediction Thread

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Kirk and JJ make a package deal to the Vikes of $60 Million a year for the next 2 years. JJ 3 additional years at $100 million. Draft Penix. Ty Chandler becomes the official Vikings lead back. We figure out some way to keep Hunter around. Not going to say how.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:01 pm Kirk and JJ make a package deal to the Vikes of $60 Million a year for the next 2 years. JJ 3 additional years at $100 million. Draft Penix. Ty Chandler becomes the official Vikings lead back. We figure out some way to keep Hunter around. Not going to say how.
I think they can cut Harrison Smith and Phillips to save money. They can probably lower JJs cap hit with an extension. If they want Hunter they'll find a way to make it work.
mael·strom

makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

We can't tag Hunter. Was part of his rework.

We either sign him to new contract, or he leaves. I think it's projected that we'd get a 3rd round comp pick if he signs with another team.

Early thoughts, until we see draft order, etc.

Harrison Smith played last game as a Viking.

Agree on both Kirk and JJ. Wilfs won't sign off anything that even remotely considers moving JJ. I also think they'll fall back into the trap of keeping the veteran player around, and Kirk comes back on maybe 2 yr deal. I think they will take a qb high in the draft as well.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Let Kirk walk (unless for some reason you absolutely can't get a decent QB in the draft).

Target a (realistic, so not #1 overall) QB in the draft and start him immediately. Expect a sloppy season 1 but it is what it is.

Pay Jefferson. Pay Hunter.

Outside of that upgrade any positions you can but RB, DL, and the secondary need help the most probably.

There's a lot more to it but that's what I'm looking for.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

makila wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:27 pm We can't tag Hunter. Was part of his rework.

We either sign him to new contract, or he leaves. I think it's projected that we'd get a 3rd round comp pick if he signs with another team.

Early thoughts, until we see draft order, etc.

Harrison Smith played last game as a Viking.

Agree on both Kirk and JJ. Wilfs won't sign off anything that even remotely considers moving JJ. I also think they'll fall back into the trap of keeping the veteran player around, and Kirk comes back on maybe 2 yr deal. I think they will take a qb high in the draft as well.
Forgot about that with Hunter. It would be pretty bad to get a 3rd round pick for an elite edge player. They better work on that now. That was not a smart thing to agree to. He had no leverage. Hunter will likely want to listen to other teams though.
mael·strom

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Cliff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:40 pm Let Kirk walk (unless for some reason you absolutely can't get a decent QB in the draft).

Target a (realistic, so not #1 overall) QB in the draft and start him immediately. Expect a sloppy season 1 but it is what it is.

Outside of that upgrade any positions you can but RB, DL, and the secondary need help the most probably.

Considering JJ loves Kirk and this regime will be coaching for their jobs next year I highly doubt they'll roll with a rookie.
mael·strom

Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:43 pm
Cliff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:40 pm Let Kirk walk (unless for some reason you absolutely can't get a decent QB in the draft).

Considering JJ loves Kirk and this regime will be coaching for their jobs next year I highly doubt they'll roll with a rookie.
Imagine the team says: "We can set a new market at WR for your contract or pay Kirk what he wants but not both."

Does his love for Kirk make him take a lower wage? I doubt it. Instead he'll talk up that rookie like he's a brother and Kirk Who?

Anyway, I don't know any job is on the line next season. KOC is a young coach who has already had some success. They're not giving up on him in 3 seasons unless he completely melts down.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Cliff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:24 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:43 pm

Imagine the team says: "We can set a new market at WR for your contract or pay Kirk what he wants but not both."

Does his love for Kirk make him take a lower wage? I doubt it. Instead he'll talk up that rookie like he's a brother and Kirk Who?

Anyway, I don't know any job is on the line next season. KOC is a young coach who has already had some success. They're not giving up on him in 3 seasons unless he completely melts down.
They'll be able to afford both. Also KOC has done nothing noteworthy in two years. They were very lucky in his first year then lost to Daniel Jones at home. Kwesi drafted Lewis Cine and is about to let a 16 sack guy walk for nothing in FA. They enter next year on the hot seat. No time to develop a rookie anymore.
mael·strom

Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:30 pm
Cliff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:24 pm

They'll be able to afford both. Also KOC has done nothing noteworthy in two years. They were very lucky in his first year then lost to Daniel Jones at home. Kwesi drafted Lewis Cine and is about to let a 16 sack guy walk for nothing in FA. They enter next year on the hot seat. No time to develop a rookie anymore.
And Hunter? And upgrade any other positions? Jefferson, Hunter, and Kirk won't all be on this team next season, I don't think.

I can't find details on KOCs contract but isn't it 4 years? Unless the team implodes 2025 would be the contract year.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Cliff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:36 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:30 pm

And Hunter? And upgrade any other positions? Jefferson, Hunter, and Kirk won't all be on this team next season, I don't think.

I can't find details on KOCs contract but isn't it 4 years? Unless the team implodes 2025 would be the contract year.
No I think Hunter signs with the Jags. The Vikings can clear up space and play around to bring him back if they want to though. With the cap if there is a will there is always a way. As far as upgrades from other positions I don't see that coming through FA. We still owe Davenport next year. Talk about bungling resource management.

It probably is 4 years. However, teams let coaches go before the final year of their deal all the time. Coaches hardly ever come back as a lame duck. So either he gets them back in the playoffs or he's probably fired. He certainly won't be extended coming off two down years or even mediocre years. Injury excuses only go so far. Considering it's a make or break year it's highly unlikely they roll with an injury prone Penix and have all the eggs in that basket or any rookie for that matter.
mael·strom

Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:41 pm
Cliff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:36 pm

No I think Hunter signs with the Jags. The Vikings could clear up space and play around to bring him back if they want to though. With the cap if there is a will there is always a way.

It probably is 4 years. However, teams let coaches go before the final year of their deal all the time. Coaches hardly ever come back as a lame duck. So either he gets them back in the playoffs or he's probably fired. He certainly won't be extended coming off two down years or even mediocre years. Injury excuses only go so far. Considering it's a make or break year it's highly unlikely they roll with an injury prone Penix and have all the eggs in that basket or any rookie for that matter.
I think they opt for Hunter over Kirk if they can (are able to draft a QB).

The issue with your argument is he isn't a lame duck. He's currently the coach with the highest winning percentage in Vikings history.

If he implodes next season (1-5 wins) he's probably gone. If he goes .500 with a rookie QB he's not going anywhere.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Cliff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:44 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:41 pm

No I think Hunter signs with the Jags. The Vikings could clear up space and play around to bring him back if they want to though. With the cap if there is a will there is always a way.

The issue with your argument is he isn't a lame duck. He's currently the coach with the highest winning percentage in Vikings history.

If he implodes next season (1-5 wins) he's probably gone. If he goes .500 with a rookie QB he's not going anywhere.
His record is 20-15 after 2 years. That's nothing to write home about. He had a lot of talent in year one on offense and all were healthy yet he still couldn't beat the Giants at home. If he has another losing year or even around .500 and finishes behind Detroit and Green Bay which looks likely at this point I think he will be out. Management hopefully wants to see the team get better under KOC not worse and another down year would be hard to sell.

As far as drafting a QB in round 1 they won't know if the guy they love will be there before Kirk signs in FA. They'll have to either trade up months early or gamble on being able to get their guy in draft day with Kirk likely in Denver or Las Vegas. If they have the cajones to move up in March to a spot where they are assured a top QB that's a different scenario.
mael·strom

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Almost to soon for an off-season prediction.
Does Flores stick around? Or does he leave for another job?
Think it depends on how much free reign he gets assembling his defense this upcoming year.

KOC needs to get better at calling plays or have someone do it.
We probably could have won a couple games with better play calling.

Not going to be able to pay everyone, so they need to figure out their priorities.

Offense needs a running back in the draft.

Kicking game? What do we do with that?

Lots we can do to improve.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:57 pm
Cliff wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:44 pm

His record is 20-15 after 2 years. That's nothing to write home about. He had a lot of talent in year one on offense and all were healthy yet he still couldn't beat the Giants at home. If he has another losing year or even around .500 and finishes behind Detroit and Green Bay which looks likely at this point I think he will be out. Management hopefully wants to see the team get better under KOC not worse and another down year would be hard to sell.

As far as drafting a QB in round 1 they won't know if the guy they love will be there before Kirk signs in FA. They'll have to either trade up months early or gamble on being able to get their guy in draft day with Kirk likely in Denver or Las Vegas. If they have the cajones to move up in March to a spot where they are assured a top QB that's a different scenario.
I guess we just see it differently. To give up on the 3rd youngest NFL coach with a great record thus far (you might not think it's anything to write home about but I think you're wrong).

It's all about spin. I see a coach that took a 8-9 team that missed the playoffs two years in a row to 13-4 and won the NFC north in his first year.

You're not wrong about the timeline. They might sign Kirk out of necessity.