Off-season Prediction Thread

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Off-season Prediction Thread

Post by Maelstrom88 »

cmoss84 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:20 pm
VikingLord wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:51 am

I wouldn't take one 3rd for Fields. He isn't good. The more I look at his stats relative to his peers, the more I see a very overrated QB who is mainly talked about as trade bait because of where the Bears drafted him. He's a lot like Trey Lance was for the 49ers, although Lance has put far less on tape than Fields and one could at least argue Lance could still develop. The fact that the Bears are apparently already giving up on him also says everything from where I sit.

If the Vikings don't bring Cousins back I don't want them wasting valuable draft capital on Fields. Either go to the well in the draft and take a chance on a rookie who they can develop, or maybe Stick with Nick for another season and rough it out. Just don't pay for a castoff from a divisional rival. If Fields isn't picked up anywhere they can talk to his agent, but I suspect some team out there will be willing to part with something valuable for Fields. I just hope that team is not the QB-needy Vikings.
You'd rather have Mullens? Ouch.
Agree. I saw nothing from Mullens last year that would suggest he's worth using a roster spot on going forward.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:38 pm
cmoss84 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:20 pm

You'd rather have Mullens? Ouch.
Agree. I saw nothing from Mullens last year that would suggest he's worth using a roster spot on going forward.
I'd rather have Mullens also. He did throw for 411 yards the most Fields ever had was 325. He also lead us to a late win against the Raiders. Of course the 4 ints didn't help Mullens. Especially the one that ended the game against the Lions. I have no idea what happen to that ball. It was a dead duck the minute it left his hand. I can't recall a pro QB ever doing that. I can't even find an explanation from him. Maybe he forgot to put stickum on his hand or used too much. IMO Fields blows and I read a team will trade for him. Trade what? If the Bears felt he was the man a new contract would have been given. They are back on the hunt again for another. As always good luck with that. The top 3 are big time reaches. There might be a guy later but I have no idea who that will be. I like Pratt. So cross him off the maybe list.
Mullens also did this below. He has ability but he thinks he's a gunslinger.
Kevin Seifert
@SeifertESPN
·
Follow
Mullens pushed the ball downfield all game. His average attempt traveled 14.6 yards downfield, most by a Vikings QB since Brett Favre in 2010, per @ESPNStatsInfo. He threw 18 passes of 15+ air yards, more than any QB in the past 2 seasons.

5:53 pm · 24 Dec 2023
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:07 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:38 pm

I'd rather have Mullens also. He did throw for 411 yards the most Fields ever had was 325. He also lead us to a late win against the Raiders. Of course the 4 ints didn't help Mullens. Especially the one that ended the game against the Lions. I have no idea what happen to that ball. It was a dead duck the minute it left his hand. I can't recall a pro QB ever doing that. I can't even find an explanation from him. Maybe he forgot to put stickum on his hand or used too much. IMO Fields blows and I read a team will trade for him. Trade what? If the Bears felt he was the man a new contract would have been given. They are back on the hunt again for another. As always good luck with that. The top 3 are big time reaches. There might be a guy later but I have no idea who that will be. I like Pratt. So cross him off the maybe list.
Kevin Seifert
@SeifertESPN
·
Follow
Mullens pushed the ball downfield all game. His average attempt traveled 14.6 yards downfield, most by a Vikings QB since Brett Favre in 2010, per @ESPNStatsInfo. He threw 18 passes of 15+ air yards, more than any QB in the past 2 seasons.

I like Pratt as well but I need to watch film on him. From what I've read he reminds me of Cousins coming out. Our best bet may be to bring back Kirk on a one or two year deal and draft someone like Pratt to see if he can develop into a starter. I'd be ok with Kirk, Hall, and Pratt as our QBs this year. Personally I don't think Mullens is worth keeping. I'd rather have younger guys with a higher ceiling.
mael·strom

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:13 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:07 pm
Kevin Seifert
@SeifertESPN
·
Follow

I like Pratt as well but I need to watch film on him. From what I've read he reminds me of Cousins coming out. Our best bet may be to bring back Kirk on a one or two year deal and draft someone like Pratt to see if he can develop into a starter. I'd be ok with Kirk, Hall, and Pratt as our QBs this year. Personally I don't think Mullens is worth keeping. I'd rather have younger guys with a higher ceiling.
The only chance we have to make the playoffs is with Cousins. None of these teams in the NFC are so dominate that we have no chance once in. Look at that Eagle team from SB to completely falling apart. They lost their pass rush. I hope we bring back Cousins and Hunter. Those 2 are needed to compete. I wouldn't play Hunter 1000 snaps. I'd keep it down to 800 so he is fresh at the end. The guy plays hard and it's not like he has nothing left in the tank. A younger QB would be great but that's like finding a needle in a hay bail. I thought Mullens showed some positive things. He drops back fast and can escape a pocket collapse. More than likely he will always suck because of that noodle arm and his tendency to force the ball in. If Hall gets better Mullens will get cut.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:13 pm I'd rather have younger guys with a higher ceiling.
Assuming you're referring to Fields, what do you think his ceiling is? He's been in the league long enough now to demonstrate that I think.

I don't know if you saw this article but it's worth a read to get perspective on Fields at this point. I also think it goes a long way towards explaining why the Bears are likely moving on from Fields and going back to the well at QB in this upcoming draft:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/392 ... -nfl-draft
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:27 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:13 pm I'd rather have younger guys with a higher ceiling.
Assuming you're referring to Fields, what do you think his ceiling is? He's been in the league long enough now to demonstrate that I think.

I don't know if you saw this article but it's worth a read to get perspective on Fields at this point. I also think it goes a long way towards explaining why the Bears are likely moving on from Fields and going back to the well at QB in this upcoming draft:

I was moreso referring to a draft pick that you could mold. I think Fields might still develop into a quality starter but at this point I wouldn't give up the picks to acquire him especially with where he is in his contract.
mael·strom

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I was moreso referring to a draft pick that you could mold. I think Fields might still develop into a quality starter but at this point I wouldn't give up the picks to acquire him especially with where he is in his contract.
mael·strom

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:01 pm

That's a good point I hadn't considered given KOC would be his coach and KOC is a former QB. It's possible KOC could work with him and find a way to bring out something that hasn't been seen to this point in Fields' pro career.

To be honest, I'm just not seeing it at QB in the draft this year. Need always inflates the prospects at that position and most of them flame out pretty much every year no matter where they are drafted. The top 3 prospects in this year's draft all carry significant risk IMHO. For example, Williams has incredible natural talent, but does he have the fire and commitment to lead on the field or is he going to go wildly off script whenever he gets pressured or even feels like it? Does Drake Maye have game-changing potential, or is he a guy who mainly checks off the boxes on the eye test physically? Is Jayden Daniels just the next QB in a long line of QBs who mainly wowed with their ability to break out of the pocket and run, but who fails to develop an ability to read the field and do the majority of damage with his passing?

2nd tier guys all have their own concerns as well. Plus, the Vikings position in the 1st and 2nd rounds just sucks to draft QB. Too late in each round to have a shot at either the top of the 1st tier or the 2nd tier at QB, but too early in each round to reach for the top of the 2nd or 3rd tier of QB prospect.

This might be a good year to just suck it up and pass at QB until a later round (where they could still find a gem if they do their homework) and focus instead on maximizing value at the positions where the talent likely to be available matches the position where they find themselves drafting. KAM should be forced to review what Spielman did with the Ponder pick, and also the trade for Bradford. Both should be clear examples of the likely outcome of reaching at QB and ignoring downsides of using 1st round picks due to a desperation at the position.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

IIsweet wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:20 pm Kirk signs with ATL, wife is from there, for 3 years and $130m. Vikings get a compensatory 2nd Rd pick.
Hunter leaves for a 4 year $100m deal. Vikings get 3rd round compensatory pick.
Flores stays... Gets a significant raise and all FA $, except 1 OG, is spent on defense this off-season. He also gets his say on drafting defense after we take a QB in round 1.

Option A)
Vikings trade up from 11 to draft QB Jayden Daniels.....
JJ signs a 6 year $200m extension.
Vikings give Josh Dobbs a 2 year $20m deal.
In FA, Vikings

Option B)
Vikings draft QB Michael Penix or JJ McCarthy....
Vikings give Carson Wentz a 2 year $25m deal.
In FA.
Not too bad for January 7th.
It is Sam Darnold, not Carson Wentz, and only a 1 year deal.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

IIsweet wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:24 pm
IIsweet wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:20 pm Kirk signs with ATL, wife is from there, for 3 years and $130m. Vikings get a compensatory 2nd Rd pick.
Hunter leaves for a 4 year $100m deal. Vikings get 3rd round compensatory pick.
Flores stays... Gets a significant raise and all FA $, except 1 OG, is spent on defense this off-season. He also gets his say on drafting defense after we take a QB in round 1.

Option A)
Vikings trade up from 11 to draft QB Jayden Daniels.....
Vikings give Josh Dobbs a 2 year $20m deal.
In FA, Vikings

Option B)
Vikings draft QB Michael Penix or JJ McCarthy....
Vikings give Carson Wentz a 2 year $25m deal.
In FA.
Not too bad for January 7th.
It is Sam Darnold, not Carson Wentz, and only a 1 year deal.
That deal is 1 year too long. Wasted 10 million. WHY????
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

V V I guess we will have to see how things play out before making judgment.
KOC, McCown and also using Tom Brady as a consultant for all the Quarterback moves including the draft is a lot of experience.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

halfgiz wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:41 pm V V I guess we will have to see how things play out before making judgment.
KOC, McCown and also using Tom Brady as a consultant for all the Quarterback moves including the draft is a lot of experience.
We've got Brady consulting?
WOW!!
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

halfgiz wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:41 pm V V I guess we will have to see how things play out before making judgment.
Where did you hear that?
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

VikingLord wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:40 pm
Where did you hear that?
It was posted on one of the Vikings sites. Which I thought was smart them consulting with Brady.
I went back to try and find the article but couldn’t find it.
IT was posted on Twitter with a link.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

halfgiz wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:43 am
VikingLord wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:40 pm

Where did you hear that?
It was posted on one of the Vikings sites. Which I thought was smart them consulting with Brady.
I went back to try and find the article but couldn’t find it.
IT was posted on Twitter with a link.
They talked to Brady about Dobbs a while back. I don't think it's ongoing.