Vikings at Lions

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Vikings at Lions

Post by CharVike »

Roar or Yawn depends on who's side your on. Looks like the mighty Lions are going to go for the win and the number 2 seed. Mullens gets the start. He'll move the ball and throw a TD or two and also toss a few picks. More than likely he'll take a blind side smack down and fumble. Lucky for him the Lions don't have much on D. They will sit back and wait for him to throw a wobbly floater down the middle of the field for an easy pick or a nice hit on a WR. The Lions will try and shorten the game with their ground attack. Once we bring half the D up to stop that Goff will hit some passes off play action. We just saw this act a few weeks ago and I don't see a different outcome either. I just hope nobody gets hurt badly. Perhaps for the sake of entertainment Wright will attempt a pass from punt formation.
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings at Lions

Post by Lash Man »

CharVike wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:27 am Roar or Yawn depends on who's side your on. Looks like the mighty Lions are going to go for the win and the number 2 seed. Mullens gets the start. He'll move the ball and throw a TD or two and also toss a few picks. More than likely he'll take a blind side smack down and fumble.
Lucky for him the Lions don't have much on D.
They will sit back and wait for him to throw a wobbly floater down the middle of the field for an easy pick or a nice hit on a WR. The Lions will try and shorten the game with their ground attack. Once we bring half the D up to stop that Goff will hit some passes off play action. We just saw this act a few weeks ago and I don't see a different outcome either. I just hope nobody gets hurt badly. Perhaps for the sake of entertainment Wright will attempt a pass from punt formation.
That's what they said about the Packers Defense too and they dominated the Vikings Offensive Line
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Lions want to win this game and I think the Vikings will help them win it via unforced errors that will put a fitting end to this season. I just hope nobody else gets hurt.

With a loss and a little help from a few other NFC teams the Vikings could end up with the 9th pick in the upcoming draft. Not saying I'm rooting for them to lose, but at least if they do lose that would be a potential bright spot.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Im hoping they lose. The 9th-10th pick would be really nice to either pick a QB (Pennix maybe, small chance) or maybe draft capital and our 9th pick will turn some heads.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:07 pm Im hoping they lose. The 9th-10th pick would be really nice to either pick a QB (Pennix maybe, small chance) or maybe draft capital and our 9th pick will turn some heads.
Of the 2nd tier QB prospects in the upcoming draft, Penix is the most likely to last until the Vikings 2nd round pick. The other two (McCarthy and Nix) will get more hype around them and one or both could go in the 1st. What is likely to hold Penix back a bit is his age (he's played 6 seasons of college football, so he's a bit old for a rookie) and his injury history. Even as recently as this last season he put some sketchy throws on tape, and some are speculating another injury that he played through contributed to that inconsistency. So if the Vikings want to target him, I think they could sit tight into the 2nd and be able to get him.

Also, even if the Vikings lose to the Lions they'll need help to get the 9th pick as some other teams will have to win. The pick order is based on strength of schedule and the Vikings happen to have the highest strength of schedule of the teams they'd be tied with if everyone in the group loses this weekend, so that would end up with them staying at pick 12. I forget the teams they're in the mix, but I doubt any of them will be keen to win their final game. Not saying any will intentionally lose it, but just that there is no real benefit to winning it at this point.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:24 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:07 pm Im hoping they lose. The 9th-10th pick would be really nice to either pick a QB (Pennix maybe, small chance) or maybe draft capital and our 9th pick will turn some heads.
Of the 2nd tier QB prospects in the upcoming draft, Penix is the most likely to last until the Vikings 2nd round pick. The other two (McCarthy and Nix) will get more hype around them and one or both could go in the 1st. What is likely to hold Penix back a bit is his age (he's played 6 seasons of college football, so he's a bit old for a rookie) and his injury history. Even as recently as this last season he put some sketchy throws on tape, and some are speculating another injury that he played through contributed to that inconsistency. So if the Vikings want to target him, I think they could sit tight into the 2nd and be able to get him.

Also, even if the Vikings lose to the Lions they'll need help to get the 9th pick as some other teams will have to win. The pick order is based on strength of schedule and the Vikings happen to have the highest strength of schedule of the teams they'd be tied with if everyone in the group loses this weekend, so that would end up with them staying at pick 12. I forget the teams they're in the mix, but I doubt any of them will be keen to win their final game. Not saying any will intentionally lose it, but just that there is no real benefit to winning it at this point.
If we can get a stud IDL player or Edge rusher or other D at 12 and a stud G in round 2 wouldn't that make you happy? I think that would give us our best shot to compete. Now if Penix becomes an all time great then we screwed the pooch. But no rookie will play great year 1 and behind our OL he will be ruined before he had time to even develop. That's the way I'd like to see it go. More than likely from 12 it will be a trade to 30 and we will get nothing worthwhile. Pessimistic? Yes. It already happened once. Why not swing again.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:33 pm If we can get a stud IDL player or Edge rusher or other D at 12 and a stud G in round 2 wouldn't that make you happy?
It depends on who else is available at those picks. If KAM takes players that merit the picks, that would make me happy. If he gets fair value in trade and then takes players who merit the place they are picked, that would make me happy. If he passes up better talent to reach for a player wherever he picks, that would make me not happy.

I do think the Vikings are going to have to take a QB early this year. I think it is painfully obvious that the Vikings lack any viable future prospect at the position right now, and that has to be corrected. Short of KAM finding someone stuck as a backup somewhere, he's going to have to take a swing in the draft, and if he takes that swing he's going to have to take it early or he might as well not take it at all. He doesn't have a 3rd this year, and I think I've seen enough of the Mond and Hall type prospects to last me another decade.
CharVike wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:33 pm I think that would give us our best shot to compete. Now if Penix becomes an all time great then we screwed the pooch. But no rookie will play great year 1 and behind our OL he will be ruined before he had time to even develop. That's the way I'd like to see it go. More than likely from 12 it will be a trade to 30 and we will get nothing worthwhile. Pessimistic? Yes. It already happened once. Why not swing again.
I don't think the Vikings will try to force a rookie QB even if they take one high in the draft, and even if they were to do that they still need a viable veteran at the position regardless. I think they'll have to sign someone established, and I think that someone will be Cousins, although it might be another vet, especially if they want to continue parroting this "competitive rebuild" line. If they end up starting a rookie QB, they're more-or-less admitting they're in full rebuild mode at that point, which I don't think they want to do.

After Cousins went out, this team should have tanked, but instead won just enough games to take them out of the running for better draft positioning. Think about it - Dobbs got them two wins in games pretty much everyone expected them to lose before he flamed out, then Mullens got them a win against the Raiders by 3 points in another game they probably should have lost, and now the combo of Mullens-Hall has tanked. Those 3 wins that probably should have been losses probably push the Vikings out of the top 10 picks in his year's draft. Not huge by itself, but picking at, say, #12 in this draft versus the #6 area they would have wound up in had they lost those additional 3 games is the difference between being able to sit pat and take a QB prospect like Jayden Daniels and being forced to either reach for a 2nd-tier QB prospect at #12 or try to trade back in the 1st and hope the 2nd tier prospect they like is still available at the pick they end up with. I understand the instinct to try to win, but looking back on it and after we've seen the motley crew of misfits at QB after Cousins went down with his injury, it is painfully clear that A) the 2024 Vikings overall were not that good and B) they badly need to draft better, and the sooner, the better. They are painfully thin at some key positions, and that is a direct result of poor drafting.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I’m normally not for tanking, and I absolutely never “root” for them to lose.

But this week, I’ll just say I hope they make a game of it, and if they lose late … oh well.

I have to say, after watching Penix against Texas, I’m really falling hard into his camp. Maye or Williams might be better, but it’s hard to imagine a scenario where the Vikings could move up far enough to get one of them. Jayden Daniels would also be amazing, but again I think he goes before the Vikings draft. That leaves Penix, whose ceiling might not be as high as the other 3, but who is the most ready to play right now. That arm, the anticipation, the quick release, the ability to see the field … just phenomenal. He’d start Week 1, and the Vikings would have the capital, especially after 2024, to build a roster around him.

Love the other 3, but the Vikings would have to mortgage future first-round picks to move up. Not a fan of that idea.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Agree. I have done very little research on the QBs but so far Pennix sounds nice if he can stay healthy. I'm leaning towards oline or edge rusher at this point.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

The Vikings need to do whatever they can to address the QB position for the long term. No more half measures, no more settling for who drops to you (within reason).

This draft seems pretty QB rich. The Vikings need to find a way to land one. Even if it doesn't work out DO SOMETHING. Then keep doing something until you've got a young and at least above average QB. The team isn't going anywhere long term without addressing QB in the draft.

Having a QB on a rookie deal that can actually play well is a huge advantage.

*I wrote the above last night but hadn't posted yet. Then I saw this today*

Screenshot_20240107_063033.jpg
Screenshot_20240107_063033.jpg (585.97 KiB) Viewed 604 times
I hope this is true.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Brett Kollman is just a YouTuber from my understanding. He's a Texans fan. I highly doubt he is privy to inside information on the Vikings.

"Haul"
mael·strom

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:55 pm Brett Kollman is just a YouTuber from my understanding. He's a Texans fan. I highly doubt he is privy to inside information on the Vikings.

"Haul"
Richardson sucks. So lucky we got Addison instead of him.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:06 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:55 pm Brett Kollman is just a YouTuber from my understanding. He's a Texans fan. I highly doubt he is privy to inside information on the Vikings.

"Haul"
Richardson sucks. So lucky we got Addison instead of him.
The guy has played 4 games but whatever you say lol

It's for sure in the rumor section but enough to be picked up by sports illustrated, for example.

What gives me hope that they were willing to deal for one of the top QBs in the draft. Not waiting to see who falls (Ponder, Bridgewater ... the only 1st round QB selections after Dante Culpepper ... that's a 23 year window by the way).

That needs to change badly and I'm glad to read they at least tried to.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I would have liked to have AR-15 as he's the closest thing I've seen to Daunte Culpepper since Daunte himself. He may not be good but he has loads of potential and if he lives up to he he will be a one of a kind talent. That's a good investment imo. This year's crop has no one like him.

I think it's likely the Vikings will re-sign Kirk, JJ, and let Hunter walk. In which case they'll sit tight and draft someone like Dallas Turner. It will be a pretty boring ho-hum off-season most likely.
mael·strom

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:36 pm I would have liked to have AR-15 as he's the closest thing I've seen to Daunte Culpepper since Daunte himself. He may not be good but he has loads of potential and if he lives up to he he will be a one of a kind talent. That's a good investment imo. This year's crop has no one like him.

I think it's likely the Vikings will re-sign Kirk, JJ, and let Hunter walk. In which case they'll sit tight and draft someone like Dallas Turner. It will be a pretty boring ho-hum off-season most likely.
I have faith that Kirk will come back as good as ever, but due to circumstances we will get him on a bargain contract. I'm very excited for that.