Packers at Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Packers at Vikings

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:09 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:49 pm I’m in the Penix camp. That guy is so smooth, so poised. Nothing seems to bother him. And wow does he spin it. THAT is arm talent. My concern is the same as another mega arm talent in Sam Bradford — Penix’s injury history is pretty long. His mobility could help him there. But my gosh, anybody who can play the way he played against Texas on that stage is OK in my book. There’s also a chance he could be available, or at least gettable with a less expensive trade.
Penix is being mentioned a lot as an option for the Vikings, and I think they could hold pat and get him with their 2nd rounder if they wanted to go that route. I think his medicals will determine when he comes off the board. I agree that his tape looks good and he handles pressure really well. He's also a little on the older side for a rookie QB, but a team like the Vikings can't afford to be that picky in the situation they are in at the QB position.
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:49 pm I believe the Bears are going to go with Fields, as he has been playing really good ball as of late. I could see them trading out of the top spot and still getting Marvin Harrison Jr., which would be truly scary.
Agree - Harrison Jr. is a beast, and they'll likely have another 1st rounder ahead of where the Vikings pick to grab another top prospect. If they properly leverage the likely Williams mania and do stick with Fields, they'll likely just have to move down a few picks in the 1st and will get another extra 1st next year and maybe more.
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:49 pm The bowl people didn’t do Nix any favors. Liberty? Seriously? That’s like an early-season game where Cupcake University gets $2 million to come in and get slaughtered by Alabama. Nix didn’t fare well in the biggest games, and he lags behind Penix in physical ability.
Yeah, Nix has some attributes that push him into the 2nd tier of this year's QBs and his struggles against better competition are one of them. I just think a guy like Nix would have great appeal to a former QB like KOC. Nix just looks like the type of QB that will do what he's asked to do and stay on script, which is appealing for a coach who believes strongly in his system.

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:49 pm I’m wondering if Caleb Williams will fall. We all genuflected over this guy … then he skips USC’s bowl game, and his backup throws 6 TDs, and reports are that USC’s receivers were much happier with a QB who played within the system. Plus there’s all the questions about his leadership. Red flags for Williams? It’s early, but I’m hearing that pro scouts like Drake Maye more.
Wow, that is crazy. I hadn't heard that, but Williams is kind of like the anti-Nix, and I could see some coaches deciding they'd rather take a QB they feel they can coach over one who is going to go out and ad-lib the offense to death. I still believe when all is said-and-done that the Williams hype train will be in full gear come the draft and someone is going to take him with the first pick.
Some team will take him because it will put bodies in the seats. It will sell a bunch of T-Shirts and mugs ect. Most younger fans think Caleb is the best ever. He thinks he's the best ever. The highlights I see is throwing to guys that are wide open. That proves nothing. But this goes beyond playing the position. He will generate interest and revenue. That's what it's all about. Unfortunately there isn't another Joel Buchsbaum out there who will give the real insight. Who's the next Purdy that we can get in round 7? That's the guy I want. We need to pick LOS players on either side. That's what I'd like to see.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Packers at Vikings

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:52 am Who's the next Purdy that we can get in round 7? That's the guy I want. We need to pick LOS players on either side. That's what I'd like to see.
Well, the last Purdy in round 7 was probably Tom Brady in round 6. Great pro QBs are hard enough to find in the first and second rounds, much less the last two rounds of a given draft. My guess is one comes around every 1-2 decades, and since this decade already produced Purdy, it's very unlikely there will be another QB like that taken in the later rounds in any draft for the foreseeable future. I don't see a guy with that potential in this year's draft for sure.