Jefferson wants Cousins Back

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Jefferson wants Cousins Back

Post by VikingsVictorious »

It's Official. JJ is asking for the return of Kirk. He found out what life is like without him. Here's the article I found on RealGM.

Justin Jefferson Stumps For Kirk Cousins' Return To Vikings
DEC 28, 2023 9:54 AM

Justin Jefferson wants to see Kirk Cousins return as the quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings in 2024.

Since Cousins went down with a torn Achilles in Week 8, the Vikings have cycled through rookie Jaren Hall, Josh Dobbs and Nick Mullins.

"It's definitely tough without him being there," Jefferson said of Cousins. "His leadership. His knowledge of the game. His awareness. There's definitely something missing not having that main piece out there on the table."

With two weeks to go, the Vikings still have a chance to sneak into the playoffs.

Cousins will be a free agent this offseason.

KEVIN PATRA/NFL
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Jefferson wants Cousins Back

Post by VikingLord »

The more I look at this situation, the more convinced I am that if Cousins is healthy the Vikings are almost going to have to bring him back for at least one more season. Hall lighting it up these last two games and then having some playoff success is about the only thing that could change things, but if Hall underwhelms and it is obvious he's not the future, the Vikings are going to be faced with the need to find that future QB during the offseason while also needing to field a QB who can ideally start and keep them competitive while at a minimum also being able to tutor the rookie and buy him time to adjust to life in the pros. Who would be better to do that than Cousins?

JJ wanting Cousins back just adds to the likelihood of this happening IMHO as the Vikings are going to have a critical decision to make regarding him as well. JJ is going to get top dollar no matter where he goes, so his decision about whether to stay is going to come down to other factors like what are his chances of competing for a Superbowl in the prime of his career. Even if the Vikings managed to draft Caleb Williams, JJ is going to want some certainty around the QB position even if the play there could be improved at the same time. Resigning Cousins provides that while not removing the Vikings chances of improving the position over the longer-term with a younger player.

The real question this offseason will then be, what will the Vikings do in the draft or free agency (or both) to buttress the position further? Will they spend their first rounder on a prospect and hope KOC can quickly develop him, or will they look to free agency? Or did they already find that guy in Hall and he'll show it over the next few games?
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Cousins has been the Viking fan whipping boy since he got here. They have no choice if they want to score and try to win some games. This year we sucked from the start and Kirk was QBing so he will get all the blame. That's nonsense because the entire team contributed to the bad start including JJ. We have nothing sitting in the hole. Get the next Dobbs and watch that BS. Get the next Mullens and watched that BS. Caleb is supposed to be the best in this draft. Well if that's the best then there is nothing in this draft. JJ and now Addison got off to great rookie starts. Guess who the QB was? Could you imagine those 2 starting out with these stiffs we have been playing. You wouldn't even know who they are. The press and every fan point to Cousins because our team has no chance. Sit back and look at this crap roster we have had for a decade +. Look at those Cowboys. That's a team with talent that gets dumped every year. Nobody points at their QB. Do they even watch the games or the high/low lights. As a side I'd like to see us look at D Jones once the Giants kick him out. To me he has every skill you want including a good arm. He could be a back up and learn this O and take over in a few seasons.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:03 am It's Official. JJ is asking for the return of Kirk. He found out what life is like without him. Here's the article I found on RealGM.

Justin Jefferson Stumps For Kirk Cousins' Return To Vikings
DEC 28, 2023 9:54 AM

Justin Jefferson wants to see Kirk Cousins return as the quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings in 2024.

Since Cousins went down with a torn Achilles in Week 8, the Vikings have cycled through rookie Jaren Hall, Josh Dobbs and Nick Mullins.

"It's definitely tough without him being there," Jefferson said of Cousins. "His leadership. His knowledge of the game. His awareness. There's definitely something missing not having that main piece out there on the table."

With two weeks to go, the Vikings still have a chance to sneak into the playoffs.

Cousins will be a free agent this offseason.

KEVIN PATRA/NFL
Wheres the official quotte by JJ saying he wants Cousins back? Not indirect crap but a real quote? OFC he misses him with Mullet and Dobbs trying to pretend they are NFL starters.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

CharVike wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:49 pm Cousins has been the Viking fan whipping boy since he got here. They have no choice if they want to score and try to win some games. This year we sucked from the start and Kirk was QBing so he will get all the blame. That's nonsense because the entire team contributed to the bad start including JJ. We have nothing sitting in the hole. Get the next Dobbs and watch that BS. Get the next Mullens and watched that BS. Caleb is supposed to be the best in this draft. Well if that's the best then there is nothing in this draft. JJ and now Addison got off to great rookie starts. Guess who the QB was? Could you imagine those 2 starting out with these stiffs we have been playing. You wouldn't even know who they are. The press and every fan point to Cousins because our team has no chance. Sit back and look at this crap roster we have had for a decade +. Look at those Cowboys. That's a team with talent that gets dumped every year. Nobody points at their QB. Do they even watch the games or the high/low lights. As a side I'd like to see us look at D Jones once the Giants kick him out. To me he has every skill you want including a good arm. He could be a back up and learn this O and take over in a few seasons.
Who the heck has Jones beat other than the Vikings, twice? He was washed up before he started and KO is as much of a QB whisperer as I am.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:42 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:49 pm Cousins has been the Viking fan whipping boy since he got here. They have no choice if they want to score and try to win some games. This year we sucked from the start and Kirk was QBing so he will get all the blame. That's nonsense because the entire team contributed to the bad start including JJ. We have nothing sitting in the hole. Get the next Dobbs and watch that BS. Get the next Mullens and watched that BS. Caleb is supposed to be the best in this draft. Well if that's the best then there is nothing in this draft. JJ and now Addison got off to great rookie starts. Guess who the QB was? Could you imagine those 2 starting out with these stiffs we have been playing. You wouldn't even know who they are. The press and every fan point to Cousins because our team has no chance. Sit back and look at this crap roster we have had for a decade +. Look at those Cowboys. That's a team with talent that gets dumped every year. Nobody points at their QB. Do they even watch the games or the high/low lights. As a side I'd like to see us look at D Jones once the Giants kick him out. To me he has every skill you want including a good arm. He could be a back up and learn this O and take over in a few seasons.
Who the heck has Jones beat other than the Vikings, twice? He was washed up before he started and KO is as much of a QB whisperer as I am.
I'm only going off the 2 games I saw when he played us. We couldn't stop him. He threw a dam nice ball. Of course every WR was basically uncovered. But he did hit those passes. Passes Mullens and many others miss. Of course the guy has sucked his entire career. 40 million suck. But the Giants never had many weapons and a junk OL. I think the coaching never helped either. Worst case he's a better backup and then he's gone. We can't have nothing in the hole again.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Can the team even afford them both once JJ gets paid? I'm guessing he doesn't want him back badly enough to not reset the market with his upcoming contract lol
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Cliff wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:37 am Can the team even afford them both once JJ gets paid? I'm guessing he doesn't want him back badly enough to not reset the market with his upcoming contract lol
Is it just possible that the two of them go to the Vikings and say we will each take slightly below market contracts so we can continue playing together?
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:32 pm
Cliff wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:37 am Can the team even afford them both once JJ gets paid? I'm guessing he doesn't want him back badly enough to not reset the market with his upcoming contract lol
Is it just possible that the two of them go to the Vikings and say we will each take slightly below market contracts so we can continue playing together?
This comes down to what the GM thinks is more important. The Chiefs traded away their star WR and they won the SB. Plus they got ammo for the draft. Many feel JJ is the best in the game so you can get far more for him. But ownership wants the seats filled. JJ will help with that. The Raiders have Adams and Jimmy G. Adams reset the market. Look what that did for them. Nothing. Jimmy G signed a three year, $72.75 million contract with the Raiders. Again nothing. Cpt Kirk will need to take a cut or we will bring in some stiff. See what JJ does with a stiff. We have been seeing it. All this will be moot if Hall plays like the next Mahomes. I don't see that with his noodle arm. At least we don't have a bunch of all pros we are paying. That helps also. Bottom line you can afford anybody but you better draft well to replace the guys you loose. Maybe Addi is JJs replacement. You can't afford 2 top level WR. That's impossible. Because you need to pay big for a QB. QB and WR go together. If the QB sucks... you know the story.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

This is all going to come down to Kirk and his agent.

If they prioritize maximizing his earning, then he’s gone. I do not believe the Vikings are going to pay him what he’d get if he hit the open market and teams bid on him.

If they prioritize Kirk’s happiness and his stated desire to retire a Viking, then he’ll realize that $30 million a year is still generational wealth, and the Vikings will extend him. In other words, Kirk would have to take a haircut. In that case, with the cap increasing next year pretty significantly, the Vikings could afford both him and JJ.

My question for Kirk is simple. How much is enough?

Here’s a son of a preacher who has made about $230 million playing football. His family is set financially for generations. I can’t blame anyone for seeking to make a great living, but Cousins just seems to want more and more. Thing is, the NFL gravy train will stop eventually, and then the question becomes whether he can be happy with less. For his sake, I hope so. If not, he’s going to be miserable.

Cousins presents himself as a Christian. Lots of people, myself included, like that about him. But his negotiating tactics make me wonder how strong his faith really is. Money is nice, but it’s not the source of joy for a person of true faith. If Kirk plays hardball and gets Rodgers money, then good for him … but it also kind of shows his hand as to where his faith really is.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I think this is a bit of a problem.
If they don’t renew Kirks contract before the start of the season. We owe him 28 million?
It can’t get carried over.
Will we even know by March how he is recovered?
Last thing you want to do is sign him to a contract and he can’t play.
Mullen’s proved with the talent we have, it’s not hard to throw for 400 yards.
We just don’t need the turnovers.
Going to be interesting... :whistle: