Vikings at Bengals

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Vikings at Bengals

Post by CharVike »

The Bengals have a good team. They made the champ game last year and gave the Chiefs a battle. This year has been a roller coaster for them right from the start. They get on small streaks in both directions. As usual their OL is their weakest link and they have a G who is basically useless which drags the whole unit down. Burrow is done but one of our castoffs Browning has had some good outings recently. He's completing 75% with a 9.1 avg with 5 TDs and 2 Ints for the season. He did throw a pick 6. In his 2 starts they have put up 34 points in each. That won't continue. They have weapons on offense. WR Chase is a game breaker who can score from anywhere. He can change a game very quickly. Mixon can get yardage on the ground. They have other players also. Their D can play good and bad. They will look for TOs. Bottom line this is a tough match up on the road. They won't lay down because they are fighting for a playoff spot. For us Mullens gets the start. Last week his accuracy wasn't the best but he kept our lone scoring drive alive with some conversions. He hasn't played in live action. That probably helped contribute to his accuracy issues. I think he will be able to excute KOC's offense at a reasonable level. At least he got Addison involved again which will help us. Our D has been keeping us alive the last two games but this team is a bigger challenge. Flores has the group playing well together. Pace JR is stepping up. He also calls the shots. Some mentioned that he was a good signing and they were right. Looks like the Bengals HC doesn't have a fondness for Flores. I think it's based on an altercation when Dolphin players along with Flores went across the field for it. I think that is one of the things Flores is trying to correct. Controlling his aggression. I expect Flores to bring heavy pressure against Browning so he may throw a couple picks and/or bad passes. We should be able to control the short stuff because we have guys that can come up and tackle. They can't whiff on Chase because he will be gone. It will be hard to throw deep because of the pressure or coverage when we send 3. We are underdogs and again it's basically a coin flip game. We need Mullens to come through and play a decent game and not throw interceptions. I expect one but if it goes beyond that it will create problems and lead to a loss. JJ is expected to play and the same for Ingram. I'll give us a win in a tight game.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings at Bengals

Post by VikingLord »

IMHO, Jake Browning is benefiting from the lack of tape teams have on him. In the NFL, QBs typically get a few games in before DCs start to find the tells and tendencies that they can gameplan around, and Browning is about at that point where there is enough tape on him for Flores to do exactly that. I'm not saying Browning isn't any good, but just that it's unlikely he will continue to play at the level he's played at so far.

As for the Bengals overall, they've been a streaky team this year. They clearly have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball, but they've been up and down and its hard to put a finger on why. With the Vikings, it was (and is) the offensive execution and mistakes that have correlated with most of their losses. With the Bengals, it's hard to say what correlates with their losses this year. Streaky teams like that tend to get people all excited because when they play well and win they are impressive, but then they follow that up with perplexing losses. The Bengals are one of those teams this year.

This game is going to be one where Mullens might enjoy the advantage of relatively little tape on him. He's had very limited playing time over his career and only played a quarter against the Raiders, so if he's prepared and the offense executes, Mullens could thrive in the passing game this week.

Defensively, Flores has them playing well and I expect that to continue. If the defense does play well this is a very winnable game. If not, the Bengals should win.

I think the defense will continue to play well, though, and Browning will come back to earth hard. I think the Vikings jump out to a big early lead and then hold on:

Vikings - 28
Bengals - 21
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Vikings at Bengals Final Week 15 Injury Report: Mattison, O'Neill & Nailor Out.

The Vikings listed receiver Justin Jefferson (chest) and guard Chris Reed (illness) as questionable.

Left guard Dalton Risner (ankle) and right guard Ed Ingram (hip) did not receive designations and are expected to be available.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Nice Drive Vikings. Just about all Chandler.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Honestly I've seen enough of Mullens. That interception was a pure panic blunder. I'm sure KOC won't pull him from the game, but I wish he would bring in Hall.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Prove me wrong Mullens. I want to see you succeed.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

That was one of the most unbelievable TD plays I've ever seen. Way to go Mullens and Addison.

Edit. On rewatching it not quite as amazing as I thought at first, but still pretty crazy.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Bengals get a TD and back in it. Vikings go 3 and out. Come on Defense. Hold that line.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Just gave up a 3rd and 20 first down. Horrible.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Bengals 4th down conversion for a 1 yard TD. Tie game. We had two clean shots on him to tackle him short, but Mixon wanted it more than the Vikings defenders. Time to dig deep Vikings.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

WOW. Vikings survive a Pick 6 due to an offside penalty. Another pretty crazy TD from Mullens to Addison.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Defense can't get a stop when we need one. Looks like OT.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:57 pm Defense can't get a stop when we need one. Looks like OT.
Chat is open.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cinci gets the ball to start OT. Vikes D has to come up with a stop. Given up TDs on 3 consecutive drives not counting a few second drive at the end of regulation.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

What a horrible loss.