Vikings at Broncos

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Vikings at Broncos

Post by CharVike »

The Broncos are on a 3 game win streak and 2 of those wins are the Cheifs and Bills. They are usually in every game but of course the 50 point spread beat down sticks out. I pay zero attention to them but I thought they were more of a bottom feeder team than what I saw based on scores. They look like the typical middle of the pack 500 team trying to get a wild card and one playoff game. Their defense looks very good one game and then pathetic the next. The opponent don't matter. The Commanders and Jets scored over 30 and the Chiefs had 9. Go figure. The same with their offense. They do have a good OL and that always gives a team a chance to execute whatever they are trying to do. It also keeps Rus from pointing the finger at them when he has a bad game. They have the bounty hunter HC. Team 3 Rus is a media darling. He is basically a dink and dunk thrower who also still runs around trying to turn nothing into something. But he's just grabbing the spot light to enhance his entertainment value and media exposure. Good for him it's working for his benefit and bank account. Payton has stamped out the team 3 BS at the Bronco facility because it's not about promoting a product for one player. Another up and down team. On our side Dobbs is playing good ball. He's the talk of the town right now. He plays within his skill set and is mistake free which is key. Chandler should get more time with Matti out. When he has space he can make something happen. I'd like to see him catch a few. Flores has the guys playing great. You don't know who will step up. Blackmon made a nice interception last week and looked like a WR going after it and making the catch. That's tracking the ball. Looks like we are getting some TO's and that always helps contribute to winning. Plus we are not giving up TOs which also helps. Basically playing sound football and for us to have a chance that must continue. Hicks loss is a tough one for us fans and the team. Peg had the usual miss right last week. I wish he would start hitting the upright on every miss at least that would provide additional entertainment. This blocking it right week after week and year after year is getting boring. Another coin flip game and I think we win 23-21.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings at Broncos

Post by VikingLord »

This is a surprisingly tough game to pick. On paper at least, the Broncos have one of the league's worst defenses, both in terms of yards per game and points per game conceded. And yet, over the last two games that defense has produced a whopping 9 turnovers which more than makes up for any talent or schematic deficiencies. I think it is safe to say if they manage to win the turnover battle with the Vikings, the Broncos have a very good chance of winning the game. Since turnovers are notoriously inconsistent week-to-week and I think the Vikings have gotten their penchant for giving up the football out of their hair, I am hopeful this doesn't become the decisive factor that it has largely been for the Broncos three game win streak they are on, but sometimes teams just get hot in a certain aspect of the game and the Broncos might be one of those teams at the moment. We will see.

Overall, the Vikings offense should be able to move the ball on the Bronco defense both running and passing. The Broncos are dead last in the NFL against the run and they struggle to generate a lot of pass rush pressure as well. So this is a game where if the Vikings OL takes care of business and Dobbs' is able to stay vertical and extend plays, the Vikings offense should hold up its end of the bargain. The game will be outside in relatively thin and cold air which are conditions the Vikings haven't had to play in to this point, but overall I don't think that will be a decisive factor for either team.

Defensively, I like how Flores has them playing, but I still have nightmares from Wilson extending plays with his legs and pulling rabbits out of hats when he has no business even holding the hat much less pulling the rabbit out of it. That throw to score against the Bills was another example of what Wilson can do and even if there is more than a little good fortune involved in those types of plays, we saw Winston complete some very improbable throws for TDs last week so we know it can happen and it could be decisive if it does. The defense is going to have its work cut out for it to make sure those plays don't happen, both by getting to Wilson in obvious passing situations and by making sure receivers are covered no matter how unlikely it seems he would attempt to throw to them. The Vikings have to make the Broncos earn those yards and not give up anything silly or easy. Hicks being out hurts as he was having a great season and is a leader on defense, but other guys will have to step up. This is a winnable game if the defense plays as a unit and executes and does not underestimate what the Broncos are capable of on offense.

Special teams likely won't be decisive, especially if the Vikings offense scores TDs and the Vikings defense plays well and keeps the Broncos out of the end zone. If it comes down to special teams it might come down to a prayer as either side's kicker has shown a penchant to struggle in key moments. Punting should produce a bunch of fair catches at Mile High Stadium.

As I noted at the beginning of this post, this is a tough game to pick because on paper it looks like the Vikings should win it, but the same could be said about the Chiefs and Bills against the Broncos. But for me I think what this game is going to come down to is coaching decisions. I was not impressed by how KOC called the second half of the game against the Saints, and I continue to note the offense's lack of downfield passing attempts coupled with a lack of production in the run game on early downs will cost the team at some point. KOC has not resolved these issues because he hasn't been bitten by them yet, but that game where it finally bites him is coming and it might end up being this game.

With that in mind, I think the Broncos mount a late comeback to squeak out a win after getting behind early:

Broncos - 24
Vikings - 21
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:16 pm This is a surprisingly tough game to pick. On paper at least, the Broncos have one of the league's worst defenses, both in terms of yards per game and points per game conceded. And yet, over the last two games that defense has produced a whopping 9 turnovers which more than makes up for any talent or schematic deficiencies. I think it is safe to say if they manage to win the turnover battle with the Vikings, the Broncos have a very good chance of winning the game. Since turnovers are notoriously inconsistent week-to-week and I think the Vikings have gotten their penchant for giving up the football out of their hair, I am hopeful this doesn't become the decisive factor that it has largely been for the Broncos three game win streak they are on, but sometimes teams just get hot in a certain aspect of the game and the Broncos might be one of those teams at the moment. We will see.

Overall, the Vikings offense should be able to move the ball on the Bronco defense both running and passing. The Broncos are dead last in the NFL against the run and they struggle to generate a lot of pass rush pressure as well. So this is a game where if the Vikings OL takes care of business and Dobbs' is able to stay vertical and extend plays, the Vikings offense should hold up its end of the bargain. The game will be outside in relatively thin and cold air which are conditions the Vikings haven't had to play in to this point, but overall I don't think that will be a decisive factor for either team.

Defensively, I like how Flores has them playing, but I still have nightmares from Wilson extending plays with his legs and pulling rabbits out of hats when he has no business even holding the hat much less pulling the rabbit out of it. That throw to score against the Bills was another example of what Wilson can do and even if there is more than a little good fortune involved in those types of plays, we saw Winston complete some very improbable throws for TDs last week so we know it can happen and it could be decisive if it does. The defense is going to have its work cut out for it to make sure those plays don't happen, both by getting to Wilson in obvious passing situations and by making sure receivers are covered no matter how unlikely it seems he would attempt to throw to them. The Vikings have to make the Broncos earn those yards and not give up anything silly or easy. Hicks being out hurts as he was having a great season and is a leader on defense, but other guys will have to step up. This is a winnable game if the defense plays as a unit and executes and does not underestimate what the Broncos are capable of on offense.

Special teams likely won't be decisive, especially if the Vikings offense scores TDs and the Vikings defense plays well and keeps the Broncos out of the end zone. If it comes down to special teams it might come down to a prayer as either side's kicker has shown a penchant to struggle in key moments. Punting should produce a bunch of fair catches at Mile High Stadium.

As I noted at the beginning of this post, this is a tough game to pick because on paper it looks like the Vikings should win it, but the same could be said about the Chiefs and Bills against the Broncos. But for me I think what this game is going to come down to is coaching decisions. I was not impressed by how KOC called the second half of the game against the Saints, and I continue to note the offense's lack of downfield passing attempts coupled with a lack of production in the run game on early downs will cost the team at some point. KOC has not resolved these issues because he hasn't been bitten by them yet, but that game where it finally bites him is coming and it might end up being this game.

With that in mind, I think the Broncos mount a late comeback to squeak out a win after getting behind early:

Broncos - 24
Vikings - 21
Not bad, but it's better when you have us giving up 30 or more. :lol: :govikes:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

QB Nick Mullens has been activated to 53-man roster.

LB Anthony Barr and CB Joejuan Williams have been elevated to the active roster for tomorrow night’s game.

WR Justin Jefferson and G Chris Reed have been downgraded to OUT.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:12 pm QB Nick Mullens has been activated to 53-man roster.

LB Anthony Barr and CB Joejuan Williams have been elevated to the active roster for tomorrow night’s game.

WR Justin Jefferson and G Chris Reed have been downgraded to OUT.
Hope JJ is ready soon.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

My personal opinion is that Denver has been playing with house money even more than the Vikings.

The Broncos’ defense ranks a solid 9th in EPA per play, which takes turnovers into account. But they rank 29th in success rate, which does not. They won against the Chiefs and Bills because those teams turned the ball over, not because Denver’s defense “beat” those teams.

As for Denver’s offense, it’s not particularly good. Russell Wilson has only thrown for 1,161 yards and hasn’t thrown for more than 200 yards since week 4. He’s also next to last in the league in EPA against Cover 0, a defensive tactic that Brian Flores is not afraid to use. For the season, they’ve only rushed for one TD.

If Josh Dobbs can avoid the turnovers that have plagued the teams Denver has beaten, I’m confident the Vikings will increase their winning streak to six.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Chicago with a 9 point 4th quarter lead against Detroit. Vikings win today we could be just half a game back for the division lead.

Edit: Scratch that. Detroit about to win with 2 TDs in the last 3 minutes. Chicago realized who they were and gave it up.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:48 am My personal opinion is that Denver has been playing with house money even more than the Vikings.

The Broncos’ defense ranks a solid 9th in EPA per play, which takes turnovers into account. But they rank 29th in success rate, which does not. They won against the Chiefs and Bills because those teams turned the ball over, not because Denver’s defense “beat” those teams.

As for Denver’s offense, it’s not particularly good. Russell Wilson has only thrown for 1,161 yards and hasn’t thrown for more than 200 yards since week 4. He’s also next to last in the league in EPA against Cover 0, a defensive tactic that Brian Flores is not afraid to use. For the season, they’ve only rushed for one TD.

If Josh Dobbs can avoid the turnovers that have plagued the teams Denver has beaten, I’m confident the Vikings will increase their winning streak to six.
Hard to believe we are on a 5 game winning streak right now.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:23 pm Chicago with a 9 point 4th quarter lead against Detroit. Vikings win today we could be just half a game back for the division lead.

Edit: Scratch that. Detroit about to win with 2 TDs in the last 3 minutes. Chicago realized who they were and gave it up.
Didn't take long. Bears couldn't get a 1st down and then laid down and took the beating.
Bowhunting Viking
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Bowhunting Viking »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 3:23 pm Chicago with a 9 point 4th quarter lead against Detroit. Vikings win today we could be just half a game back for the division lead.

"The Bears were who we thought they were!!!" *** pounding the podium for emphasis ***
I just wanna die as a Super Bowl Champion Viking Fan!!
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Bowhunting Viking wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:48 pm

"The Bears were who we thought they were!!!" *** pounding the podium for emphasis ***
They were. Detroit didn't let them off the hook.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Vikings lose by at least 10 pts
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

The inactive list features safety Lewis Cine, wide receiver Trishton Jackson, quarterback Jaren Hall, cornerback Akayleb Evans, linebacker Brian Asamoah II, tight end Nick Muse and offensive lineman Hakeem Adeniji.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

:govikes: I'm traveling but I see we're winning 10-6 just before half time.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I’m sick to my stomach right now.

I’m watching Russell Wilson talk about how incredible Denver’s defense was. Really Russ? You get your first fumble on a clearly illegal hit, handing you a field goal when you failed to score a TD. The other two turnovers cost the Vikings dearly. This should’ve been a double-digit win. Instead, Wilson tosses up yet another prayer to win a game.

I’m just salty right now. Absolutely sick. This one is tough to take.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.