Who Starts?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Who Starts?

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:32 am As much as I’d love to have him back, Kirk is gonna get a haul from someone.
Two factors make it possible Cousins will return next year. The Vikings want him back and I think he wants to come back, which should make him amenable to a deal that might pay him less, but provide greater intangible rewards of being in a good situation with guys and coaches he wants to be around. The other factor that I think works in favor of him returning is the injury. Kirk is a bit older now and coming off a season-ending injury to his foot. That might cause some prospective teams pause when it comes to investing in him as their starter.

I actually think it is more likely than not that Kirk will be back in Minnesota next season.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:38 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:32 am As much as I’d love to have him back, Kirk is gonna get a haul from someone.
Two factors make it possible Cousins will return next year. The Vikings want him back and I think he wants to come back, which should make him amenable to a deal that might pay him less, but provide greater intangible rewards of being in a good situation with guys and coaches he wants to be around. The other factor that I think works in favor of him returning is the injury. Kirk is a bit older now and coming off a season-ending injury to his foot. That might cause some prospective teams pause when it comes to investing in him as their starter.

I actually think it is more likely than not that Kirk will be back in Minnesota next season.
Kirk will only go to the Vikings if they give him the most money. Kirk has always been about one thing, making the most money.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:00 pm

Kirk will only go to the Vikings if they give him the most money. Kirk has always been about one thing, making the most money.
Once again proving that you know NOTHING Jon Snow. The Jets offered Kirk more money the year he came to the Vikings.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

I'd love him back for one or 2 more seasons.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:16 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:00 pm

Once again proving that you know NOTHING Jon Snow. The Jets offered Kirk more money the year he came to the Vikings.
Thats the story and youre sticking to it. And your boi Kirko. Cant wait till we draft a QB and kirkyboi is gone forever. All that money and he could only lead us to 1 and done. Heck I bet Mullens could do that :rofl:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:35 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:16 pm
Thats the story and youre sticking to it. And your boi Kirko. Cant wait till we draft a QB and kirkyboi is gone forever. All that money and he could only lead us to 1 and done. Heck I bet Mullens could do that :rofl:
Mullens just had his chance and failed. Teams aren't QB only. You have a roster that also has 52 other players on it. Kirk lead a team with a horrible defense and a junk OL to the division championship. Not many can do that. Jimmy G lead a team to a SB and couldn't even keep the starting job with the Raiders. Fans need to realize that you need a very good all around team to win a SB. You also need to be playing your best ball or you will get beat in the playoffs. One of our best playoff games was when Kirk beat the Saints down in NO. Fans forget that one. But it was more than just Kirk. 52 other players also helped. Fans also think FA contains a bunch of young super star players. FA is a pile of junk. You will have a couple of top flight players every year but you will need to pay much more than you should because it's an auction. Highest bid wins. Our big FA signing for 13 mill last year was Davenport. Junk. I'm glad your not running the team. Be worst than KAM.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:00 pm Kirk will only go to the Vikings if they give him the most money. Kirk has always been about one thing, making the most money.
When a guy reaches the point Kirk is at in his pro career, he may realize money isn't the only reward worth consideration.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:28 am
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:35 pm

Mullens just had his chance and failed. Teams aren't QB only. You have a roster that also has 52 other players on it. Kirk lead a team with a horrible defense and a junk OL to the division championship. Not many can do that. Jimmy G lead a team to a SB and couldn't even keep the starting job with the Raiders. Fans need to realize that you need a very good all around team to win a SB. You also need to be playing your best ball or you will get beat in the playoffs. One of our best playoff games was when Kirk beat the Saints down in NO. Fans forget that one. But it was more than just Kirk. 52 other players also helped. Fans also think FA contains a bunch of young super star players. FA is a pile of junk. You will have a couple of top flight players every year but you will need to pay much more than you should because it's an auction. Highest bid wins. Our big FA signing for 13 mill last year was Davenport. Junk. I'm glad your not running the team. Be worst than KAM.
I decided to look at JJ's post because I was bored. I see him making an obviously incorrect statement and possibly a lie and call him out on it. He responds to my post by not responding to it at all. He did not address his incorrect statement/lie.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:18 pm
I decided to look at JJ's post because I was bored. I see him making an obviously incorrect statement and possibly a lie and call him out on it. He responds to my post by not responding to it at all. He did not address his incorrect statement/lie.
We all have a different perspective on what this team needs to finally win a SB. That's fine and it's been going on for a long time.
A message board is part of the entertainment of football and many other things. We will never all agree on the same thing. Some posters might not even be fans of the team and it's part of their entertainment to try an antagonize others. But your right Kirk took less money to come here. There's not many who will do that. Hunter won't take a big discount to stay here. He took his current deal and part of that was to be a FA this year. Surprise he wants money also. He already has enough to last generations. I look forward at this point in life and I'd rather have Kirk here than cycle through bum after bum after bum like we have seen this year. There is zero entertainment for me with that. It's hard to watch. I would do other things. Others might feel it's the best way forward and it's very entertaining. Our biggest problem is we can't draft well. Drafting is your life blood. That's only my opinion. Others might feel drafting means nothing. Now we will hit FA and it will start again. Lets sign this super star. The Bengals sign one of our super stars in FA Trae Waynes and they basically got nothing. We signed star Davenport for a ton of money and nothing. Myself and you have been fans of Kirk others it's the complete opposite and they want Dobbs or some rookie who will never make it.
Last edited by CharVike on Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:01 am
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:00 pm Kirk will only go to the Vikings if they give him the most money. Kirk has always been about one thing, making the most money.
When a guy reaches the point Kirk is at in his pro career, he may realize money isn't the only reward worth consideration.
Or ... when a guy reaches the point Kirk is at in his career he realizes this is his last opportunity to get a big pay day. I think him and the Vikings will have issues on the length of the contract more than the amount. They'll probably want 1 year, he'll probably want 3, and I think there's a team out there that will give him 3 years.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:18 pm
JJ has already been banned under a different name and I've let it slide because that seemed to cool him off. We'll see if this one needs to go too.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

And just about as soon as you write this, we get Cousins talking about it.
God has blessed me financially beyond my wildest dreams, so at this stage of my career, the dollars are really not what it’s about,” Cousins said. “I think it ultimately is about winning football games — and so that will be the most important thing, winning football games.
Stand by folks. Gonna be a wild ride this off-season.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:48 am

God has blessed me financially beyond my wildest dreams, so at this stage of my career, the dollars are really not what it’s about,” Cousins said. “I think it ultimately is about winning football games — and so that will be the most important thing, winning football games.
I like Kirk and everything, especially after watching the show. That said, I call BS. He more or less said the same thing in July 2017:
“I never want to play football thinking about money,” Cousins told WAVY.com at his annual football camp, via the Washington Post. “I think that you get in trouble doing that. I put my confidence in the Lord, in my faith. If I’m gonna build my life [based] on money shame on me. That’s not where I draw my security from, never should be. My parents didn’t raise me that way.”
After saying this in January 2017:
In January, he defended seeking top dollar from Washington by arguing that “it would be almost a selfish move to hurt future quarterbacks who get in a position to have a contract” of their own.

"If you don’t take a deal that’s fair to you, then you’re also taking a deal that’s not fair to them and you’re setting them back as well,” Cousins said.
He's also hedged his bets saying "I think it ultimately is about winning football games — and so that will be the most important thing, winning football games."

Does he think he'll have a better chance of winning football games on a better team? Will that team just so happen to give him a more favorable deal?
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Cliff wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:06 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:48 am

I like Kirk and everything, especially after watching the show. That said, I call BS. He more or less said the same thing in July 2017:
“I never want to play football thinking about money,” Cousins told WAVY.com at his annual football camp, via the Washington Post. “I think that you get in trouble doing that. I put my confidence in the Lord, in my faith. If I’m gonna build my life [based] on money shame on me. That’s not where I draw my security from, never should be. My parents didn’t raise me that way.”
In January, he defended seeking top dollar from Washington by arguing that “it would be almost a selfish move to hurt future quarterbacks who get in a position to have a contract” of their own.

"If you don’t take a deal that’s fair to you, then you’re also taking a deal that’s not fair to them and you’re setting them back as well,” Cousins said.
He's also hedged his bets saying "I think it ultimately is about winning football games — and so that will be the most important thing, winning football games."

Does he think he'll have a better chance of winning football games on a better team? Will that team just so happen to give him a more favorable deal?
I don’t make the quotes. I just post ‘em as I see ‘em.

Which team supposedly interested in Kirk is actually better?

Atlanta? They just finished 7-10 and fired their head coach.
Las Vegas? 8-9 and don’t know who their head coach will be.
New England? They’re a mess.
Pittsburgh? Better than the Vikings. Would they be interested at his price tag?

Who else is there? Maybe Seattle.

Kirk also says he doesn’t feel like he should have to sell himself.

Finally, anything he said in 2017 is completely out of context to his current situation. He was young then, coming off a franchise tag and staring at a second one by a team that treated him pretty poorly. He was answering about the money involved with a second tag, which was significant, and he said that the respect and the football were important to him. Not a surprising thing for a guy who feels disrespected to say.

I’m not advocating for Kirk to stay. I’m simply stating that it’s not out of the question that he would take less money to stay with the Vikings than he might be able to get on the open market. That’s it.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:24 am
Cliff wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:06 am

I don’t make the quotes. I just post ‘em as I see ‘em.

Which team supposedly interested in Kirk is actually better?

Atlanta? They just finished 7-10 and fired their head coach.
Las Vegas? 8-9 and don’t know who their head coach will be.
New England? They’re a mess.
Pittsburgh? Better than the Vikings. Would they be interested at his price tag?

Who else is there? Maybe Seattle.

Kirk also says he doesn’t feel like he should have to sell himself.

Finally, anything he said in 2017 is completely out of context to his current situation. He was young then, coming off a franchise tag and staring at a second one by a team that treated him pretty poorly. He was answering about the money involved with a second tag, which was significant, and he said that the respect and the football were important to him. Not a surprising thing for a guy who feels disrespected to say.

I’m not advocating for Kirk to stay. I’m simply stating that it’s not out of the question that he would take less money to stay with the Vikings than he might be able to get on the open market. That’s it.
I'm not saying the team he'll go to is actually better. Just that he'll be able to say he thinks they've got a better shot at winning. It's completely opinion based, he could say he thinks the Panthers are going to be the best team in the NFL next season because of such-and-such moves. He's left the door open to literally go to any team in the NFL lol

He doesn't have to sell himself for sure. The guy is the only QB worth a damn in all of free agency. Next down the line is Baker Mayfield and Jacoby Brissett.

It's not out of the question, it's just not in character. At least to this point. Certainly I don't expect him to take significantly less for the sake of the team. If he does, the team might even sign him to a longer term deal and ride out whatever good football Kirk has left. I'd be for that as long as they draft a more highly rated prospective rookie QB too.