Cleveland to Jacksonville

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Cleveland to Jacksonville

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Poor grade from CBS

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ezra ... ound-pick/

Ezra ranks as one of the top guards this year.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/ ... -troy-dye/

And here is PFF on the trade

MINNESOTA VIKINGS G EZRA CLEVELAND → JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
Trade compensation: Sixth-round pick
Jaguars: Good
Many expected the Jaguars to add pass-rush help, but this is a sharp move in the meantime. Jaguars guard/tackle Walker Little has dealt with a few injuries this season, as has veteran right guard Brandon Scherff, so the team gets great swing guard depth here to protect Trevor Lawrence in case it becomes necessary. Cleveland was also a tackle in college if that comes into play, though we’d imagine Little will be the reserve swing tackle.

Cleveland is earning a career-high 72.3 pass-blocking grade so far in 2023 but has yet to hit a 55.0 mark for a full season, which is the reason this trade compensation is so little despite his solid grading profile this year. Cleveland has four straight seasons of earning run-blocking grades of 67.5 or better and over 3,000 snaps of experience on his rookie contract. The former second-round pick is a great depth piece for Jacksonville going forward.

Vikings: Below average
Cleveland was replaced in the starting lineup by veteran Dalton Risner, who is not quite as good of a run-blocker in space but is a far superior pass-blocker who also brings a nastiness and edge to his game.

Nonetheless, a sixth-round pick and nothing else from a legitimate Super Bowl contender for a starting-caliber guard, even in a contract year, is a fairly underwhelming return for Minnesota.
Last edited by Maelstrom88 on Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Cleveland to the Jags

Post by CharVike »

cmoss84 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:36 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:09 pm

Let's see. Trade away PFF's 7th rated guard for a 6th round pick. Get a career back up QB for a 6th round pick. I'd say the scales tipped towards the negative with that one. He essentially traded Cleveland for Dobbs and a 7th at the end of the day. Dumb just like the majority of his moves. :whistle:
Dobbs might surprise you...
Did they say what we got for Cleveland yet?
Like Keenum surprised us and then Elway?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I think the trade value for Cleveland was just about right. It speaks more to the overall failures in interior drafting that the Vikings had to force him as a guard for all these years. I don't blame Cleveland for that as he should have never been put in at guard in the pros in the first place and I wonder how he'd have done as a right tackle, but he never got the chance to show that as the Vikings are set at right tackle.

It would have been great if KAM had been able to get more for him but the difference between Risner and Cleveland has been stark. Cleveland was never going to win that job back. At least this way he gets a chance somewhere else.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Once again, KAM is found lacking. I thought some here were saying we had one of the best Olines with Eara in as guard? Guess what, hes supposed to be even a better tackle. Wish KAM would be the one to fleece someone.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Man if all it takes is a 6th rounder to get the 7th highest graded player at their position we should be trading 1st rounders for multiple 6th round picks then dealing them. No, only Kam would do that. He's a pitiful dealmaker.
mael·strom

cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

CharVike wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:02 pm

As in...he might be a competent QB capable of getting us to the playoffs. We're only 1 game back...I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet and I'm glad the Vikings aren't. Dobbs has been better than quite a few other QBs in the league this year...

...and yes, like Elway.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I'm surprised they didn't deal Osborn who will be a FA also. Maybe they tried. This could be the best trade KAM has made. Yes the bar was on the floor after trading away his first draft for nothing but maybe the smartest guy in the NFL finally learned something. Perhaps Osborn will get zero interest in FA and they bring him back for depth on the cheap.
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

I think Risner was what the line needed they have nobody with a mean streak and he provides a little nastiness .
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:51 pm
Cliff wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:44 pm A Backup guard whose contract is up after this season and we wouldn't be resigning. Is this what we're upset over?
Yes because he's not a back up guard. He's a good to great starting guard according to a lot of people with potential at Tackle and we got a bag of chips for him. We would also have received a conditional pick better than a 6th in all likelihood had we lost him to FA.
On this team he was a backup, wasn't he? There's a good chance he wouldn't have seen the field the rest of the season and then be let go and we get nothing. I'm sure they got as much as possible. You've got to have offers, you can't just demand a higher pick and then someone gives it to you.

I don't know much about the conditional pick system but if they would have gotten a better pick through literally doing nothing then yes, this is dumb.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Cliff wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:05 pm

Yes because he's not a back up guard. He's a good to great starting guard according to a lot of people with potential at Tackle and we got a bag of chips for him. We would also have received a conditional pick better than a 6th in all likelihood had we lost him to FA.
On this team he was a backup, wasn't he? There's a good chance he wouldn't have seen the field the rest of the season and then be let go and we get nothing. I'm sure they got as much as possible. You've got to have offers, you can't just demand a higher pick and then someone gives it to you.

I don't know much about the conditional pick system but if they would have gotten a better pick through literally doing nothing then yes, this is dumb.
I don't understand the conditional pick either. If it's based on a very high salary well Ezra won't get that. He won't be a top 10 paid OL player regardless of some PFF grade. The NFL people know these players much better and they have grades also. Perhaps explain the conditional pick when you have time? Thanks.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Cliff wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:05 pm

I think KAM got market value for Cleveland given he's only played guard in the pros.

As for the comments about Cleveland being a top guard, I haven't seen anything in his play to justify that sort of claim about him. He's been a marginal performer and often a liability at the position. Risner was so clearly better than Cleveland in his first game that I agree with you Cleveland would have been unlikely to see the field again. The Vikings lose perhaps veteran depth at the position with the trade but in terms of production they lose nothing.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

CharVike wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:02 pm

Anyone pleasantly surprised yet? No? Have to make the playoffs first before you give Dobbs any credit? The super bowl?

Not sure he is Elway but he is doing pretty damn good.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Extra got paid. Jags must be happy with their return on that 6th round pick.

https://nfltraderumors.co/jaguars-signi ... extension/
mael·strom