Vikings vs 49ers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Vikings vs 49ers

Post by CharVike »

psjordan wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:41 am It’s not my intent AT ALL to throw water on this win - there were many plusses (no sacks holy cow) against a great defense. I’m pointing out the following only in terms of this team’s chances moving forward.

Our three wins were basically against QB’s with less than 12 games experience. That has made our defensive scheme look very good at times, as Flores can confuse/hurry young QB’s. Next two games will be the same situation for opposing QB’s (GB and ATL). So I do expect our D will have similar success in those games, which may cause undue celebration that our D is better than it is. Caution sign #1.

Lots of talking heads (including Joe Freaking Buck and SF HC) saying missing Samuel was the biggest piece leading to the loss (of course neither bothered to mention us missing JJ). However I thought the bigger loss was Trent Williams. All teams will have injuries, us included, here’s hoping our opponents are missing key players when we meet.

Our HC I think needs to learn what level of “gambling” (particularly 4th downs) is required to win games consistently. Last night worked out fine obviously, but there were 3-4 plays that I thought KOC shriveled up on. Dude, we were 2-4 at the time, gamble on your players now and then.

Our goal line offense is stinky at best. For a supposed “creative offensive guy”, KOC has not shown diddly-squat inside the five yard line. No more Cousins sneaks please, not sure Kirk could squat 200. KOC better get his arse in gear on goal line play calling if he wants more wins than losses moving forward.

No one is talking about our special teams today, but they almost cost us the game. Kene’s 15 yard KO return was a bad decision. Greg Joseph needs to clean up his act in a frigging hurry. Addison’s score before the half was such a high, then we plonk the PAT attempt to go into the locker room with a sour taste. DUDE, you need to hit those “momentum” PAT’s. Kicking woes are yet another reason KOC may want to gamble a bit more.

We can wax on about Addison and Cousins games last night, but to me the clear stars of the game were the OL, including the TE’s. Only one holding penalty, and that was by a TE. And yes it was partially Kirk but NO SACKS! Don’t know for a fact but it sure seemed like he had more time to throw last night than in other games. Really, that was great OL play.

All in all a great win, I certainly hope we continue to improve every week.
Don't forget the missed 50 yard FG that would have put us up by 8. Went wide right like his misses usually do. I know 50 is long but this isn't 1980. Modern kickers have tremendous length.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:42 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:40 am
This is what happens when you stick to an old narrative and refuse to acknowledge that players can improve and change.

Cam Bynum has been our best DB all season long. If you’ve watched the games analytically, rather than basing everything on the won-loss record, you know this.

Kirk and Addison definitely balled out, but I want to acknowledge the defense. These guys have been improving steadily all season, and the game against the 49ers appears to have been their coming out party. They were tough against the run against one of the best running teams in the league. They rallied to the ball. They got pressure on Purdy even though they only got one sack. They forced turnovers. And in the end, they made the plays they needed to make. Brian Flores deserves a ton of credit for what he’s done with this unit.

I mean, can anybody imagine Ed Donatell’s defense playing like that last year?

This is the kind of performance that can shape a season. If nothing else, we Vikings fans deserved a game in prime time against a quality opponent where they didn’t embarrass themselves.

Great win.
I've been the biggest fan of Bynum and have said he makes plays on the ball. The bad play against Mahomes allowing that completion pissed me off. That play needs to be made. That's how you win games. Deebo didn't play so who knows what would have happened. The last pick I don't know what Purdy was thinking. Of course the receiver might have run the wrong route. Only the coaches know. But Bynum did catch the ball because he has displayed that in the past. I've seen many dropped by DBs.
Then why did you post this:
And Bynum is trending strongly toward getting smoked. All it will take is a shoulder twitch and he'll jump it or become frozen. Either way it's off to the races.
That’s a cheap shot that you posted before the game ever started. A comment like that doesn’t indicate that you are “the biggest fan of Bynum.”

The only thing that happened against KC was that Bynum jumped a hair early. The fact is that Cam Bynum has been anything but “a twitch” away from giving up “off to the races.” By every measure, including the eye test, he’s been our best DB. Let’s not forget, in addition to the two picks, Bynum also led the team with 9 tackles and forced the critical McCaffery fumble on the Niners’ first possession. Go watch Brian Baldinger’s breakdown of Bynum on that play. He took on the block, shed it, and stuck his hat on the ball.

If you’re his biggest fan, then don’t post stuff like that.
Last edited by J. Kapp 11 on Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:29 pm
VikingLord wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:29 pm Vikings - 13
49ers - 35
It seems the Vikings D once again told you to shove your prediction :point: . The O did a bit better also. You keep making those predictions VikingLord. I'll keep forwarding them to KOC. :govikes:
I too expected us to lose by the way, but I don't want to have angry Vikings out to get me so I don't post those scores.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It is strange when I have to admit I feel good about being wrong, but in this case I do, and if it takes me dissing the Vikings chances every week to motivate the team to win a Superbowl, I guess it's just what has to be done... :confused:

There are games like the one last night that make me want to believe. I want to believe in Kirk, because he was a beast. JJ hanging the Top 10 chain on him during the post-game interview was priceless. I want to believe in the OL, because they did an amazing job against one of the best defensive front sevens in football. I want to believe in Hock, because he was a warrior. I want to believe in Bynum, because he really stepped up. I already believe in Addison, who has turned into a TD machine. There are a lot of reasons to have hope for this team despite the start, and even when I'm down on them as I have been for the better part of this season so far, I have to admit I see the potential in them this year.

But I will do what has to be done as far as predictions go... :ripple: :beerock: :govikes:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:57 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:29 pm
It seems the Vikings D once again told you to shove your prediction :point: . The O did a bit better also. You keep making those predictions VikingLord. I'll keep forwarding them to KOC. :govikes:
I too expected us to lose by the way, but I don't want to have angry Vikings out to get me so I don't post those scores.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It is strange when I have to admit I feel good about being wrong, but in this case I do, and if it takes me dissing the Vikings chances every week to motivate the team to win a Superbowl, I guess it's just what has to be done... :confused:

There are games like the one last night that make me want to believe. I want to believe in Kirk, because he was a beast. JJ hanging the Top 10 chain on him during the post-game interview was priceless. I want to believe in the OL, because they did an amazing job against one of the best defensive front sevens in football. I want to believe in Hock, because he was a warrior. I want to believe in Bynum, because he really stepped up. I already believe in Addison, who has turned into a TD machine. There are a lot of reasons to have hope for this team despite the start, and even when I'm down on them as I have been for the better part of this season so far, I have to admit I see the potential in them this year.

But I will do what has to be done as far as predictions go... :ripple: :beerock: :govikes:
I appreciate your willingness to keep predicting the bad losses. Particularly giving up over 30 points every game. Way to take one for the team VikingLord.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Some takes.

Last year, the 13-4 Vikings gave us a fun ride, but ultimately weren’t as good as their record. This year, the record hasn’t been there, but they are a demonstrably better team. Last year, except for the Buffalo game, the Vikings laid rotten eggs against the best teams. This year, they’ve taken last year’s SB participants to the wire (neither was a noon Sunday game) and they just BEAT (and I mean beat, not had the game handed to them like Josh Allen did last year) what many considered to be the best team in the league.

Last night’s defensive performance was phenomenal, in particular the tackling. I saw almost no missed tackles. San Fran has weapons. They’re going to make some yards. But the Vikings didn’t give up any of those maddening long plays that occur because multiple guys whiffed.

That was the best game I’ve ever seen Kirk Cousins play. Yes, he threw a pick in the first series. But he came right back to lead them on a long TD drive, and he kept that great level of play going for the rest of the night. Usually Kirk has a lifeless lull or two, even in games where he ends up with big numbers. Not against the Niners.

The problem with that is simple: Now that we know Kirk CAN play like that against the best in a prime time game, now he has to show that is wasn’t a fluke. He needs to keep playing like MVP Kirk, which he was against the Niners.

Jordan Addison is a baller, plain and simple. Forget his small stature. The kid can play, and he can beat press coverage.

I can’t believe I’m saying this … we have one of the best O-lines in the NFL. And is it a coincidence that their best play has coincided with Garrett Bradbury’s return from injury? Watch his rep on the Vikings’ first play, the 19-yard run by Mattison. Bradbury gets instantly to the second level and takes a defender just about to his own bench.

The defense now is middle of the pack statistically … and trending upwards. Think coaching doesn’t matter?

Greg Joseph … WTF? You’ve been making everything, and now this? That missed extra point could’ve cost the Vikings the game.

KOC was on his game as a playcaller. Where he often runs into issues after the first 15 scripted plays, he was nails all night against SF. Wish we were better in the red zone … need to work on that, Kevin.

The Vikings are 3-4, but they could easily have 6 wins if not for all the stupid turnovers.

It would not surprise me to see this team finish with 10-11 wins. Last night showed us that they’re capable of it. Now they just need to play with that kind of focus and passion every game.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

(psjordan) Our goal line offense is stinky at best. For a supposed “creative offensive guy”, KOC has not shown diddly-squat inside the five yard line. No more Cousins sneaks please, not sure Kirk could squat 200. KOC better get his arse in gear on goal line play calling if he wants more wins than losses moving forward.
What a great win, all the way around, but this point is huge moving forward. If we want to win close games and/or playoff games we need TDs and not FGs. Can we drop one of our RBs for a Leroy Hoard-type back? Or have Hunter run the QB sneaks with Darrisaw behind him?

Addison on pace for about 15 TDs...
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

I thought at times KOC's play calling was outstanding last night. Had SF off balance and the offense was clicking.

However, as others have said, we have to do better at the goal line/inside red zone when the field shortens up tight.

Stop throwing to Mattison in that situation, please. It doesn't work. It's been shown multiple times it doesn't work. Chandler and Akers both look naturally better out of the backfield in that scenario.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

"I thought for once the team looked like they were prepared to play.
Kirk had a good game! Missed a few important throws, when Addison was wide open in the back of the end zone.
We saw Kirk step up in the pocket a few times and make a play. Which usually never happens.
Addison had a great game...picking up some slack for JJ missing.

Flores has the defense playing some good D. Way better than last year!

KOC had better play calling overall. His goal line play calling needs a lot of improvement.
Why would you try and have Cousins try an run a sneak? Not once but twice, what a waste of 2 downs.
I’m a bigger fan of Akers than I am of Addison, Hopefully that changes some.
The Hock was making some catches which we needed, that’s why he is getting paid big money.
Joesph shame on you reverting back to old habits!

Best play of the night for me was when Addison prevented the interception and took it to the house.

Was happy with Risner’s play! I thought he kind of jelled the line. Which had one of their best performances in awhile.

Good win on MNF!!
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

The blocking was incredible last night against a very good front. Hockenson even had a good game blocking. Check out this breakdown:

mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Danny P
Waterboy

Post by Danny P »

Our Vikes are a much better offensive unit when the aerial attack is not designed to feature a primary receiver. When the chances are not 70% that the pass is going to go to one receiver it makes it much more difficult to defense. Last night game proves this with Cousins throwing to who was open or had the best chance for a play and not just concentrating on one guy. Hope the Coach's take note of this.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Danny P wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:44 pm Our Vikes are a much better offensive unit when the aerial attack is not designed to feature a primary receiver. When the chances are not 70% that the pass is going to go to one receiver it makes it much more difficult to defense. Last night game proves this with Cousins throwing to who was open or had the best chance for a play and not just concentrating on one guy. Hope the Coach's take note of this.
Welcome to the board! Good point but it's hard to resist throwing it to JJ. I agree with you though.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Danny P wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:44 pm Our Vikes are a much better offensive unit when the aerial attack is not designed to feature a primary receiver. When the chances are not 70% that the pass is going to go to one receiver it makes it much more difficult to defense. Last night game proves this with Cousins throwing to who was open or had the best chance for a play and not just concentrating on one guy. Hope the Coach's take note of this.
Welcome to the board! :welcome

Last night was the first time all season I thought the offense was crisp in terms of execution and didn't turn it over after that early INT. Receivers caught the catchable balls (and, in the case of Addison, made a really difficult catch on that long TD). The OL played well as a unit and gave Cousins time for the most part. If there is a criticism of the offense overall, I think they can still do a better job of scoring TDs when they get in the red zone. They still left a lot of points off the board last night, but got away with it because the defense came up clutch yet again.

As to your point, I don't think KOC's scheme targets a specific receiver to any degree. There have been long stretches of games where JJ doesn't see the ball come his way. I think he may often be as much a decoy as a target, with Kirk deciding which he is based on how the defense lines up pre-snap and what he and the coaches are seeing on the feed. At least that is how I see it, and I agree that is the most effective approach (make the best throw regardless of the guy running the route). The Vikings actually possess one of the deeper receiver groups in the league this year if the TE's are included, and I think Kirk and KOC are trying to get the most out of that group. If they execute as they did last night, it is a really difficult attack to counter even by a good defense like the 49ers.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:07 pm The blocking was incredible last night against a very good front. Hockenson even had a good game blocking. Check out this breakdown:

Phenomenal. I love this stuff. Thanks for finding and posting!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:07 pm The blocking was incredible last night against a very good front. Hockenson even had a good game blocking. Check out this breakdown:

Really good breakdown. Thanks for sharing Maelstrom!
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

Lost of great things by the Vikings in that game. I was watching it on my phone on a plane for most of the game so didn't have the best view. I didn't realize Warner tipped it when we were down there after the Akers run

Good breakdown by O'sullivan of a lot of the stuff we did. Kirk had some great throws