Vikings vs 49ers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikings vs 49ers

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:29 pm This game should be a blowout in favor of the 49ers, although I suppose the Vikings defense could keep it close if key 49er offensive players can't suit up.

The 49ers are everything the Vikings wish they were. They can get after the passer with 4 on defense, defend the run competently and effectively, and have a secondary that can make plays on the ball. On offense, they just wear most opponents down with an effective passing game coupled with a relentless rushing attack.

The Vikings offense continues to look ineffective and error prone. The offensive line has been better as of late but the skill position players still aren't playing up to their potential while the mistakes and drops continue. This upcoming game would be a fantastic time for them to get their mojo back, but I just don't see that happening against the 49er defense.

The Vikings defense did create some turnovers against the Bears and certainly had a better overall game than the Vikings offense relatively speaking, but that isn't saying much. True, they kept the Bears from putting up 42 points, so I'll give them that, but the same trends of passive secondary play and inconsistent front seven play that have shown up throughout the season will likely continue against the 49er offense regardless of whether injuries play a part in who can go for the 49ers.

I'm going to be a little more conservative in my score prediction because while the Vikings are not finding ways to win the close games this year, somehow they are finding ways to keep the score close. It won't be by the end of this game, unfortunately

Vikings - 13
49ers - 35
It seems the Vikings D once again told you to shove your prediction :point: . The O did a bit better also. You keep making those predictions VikingLord. I'll keep forwarding them to KOC. :govikes:
I too expected us to lose by the way, but I don't want to have angry Vikings out to get me so I don't post those scores.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:58 am
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:44 am Deebo is trending strongly to play this week. McCaffrey and Trent Williams a bit more iffy, but both could play as well.

Tuesday 1:57 PM | Rotowire.com
Avoids long-term injury
McCaffrey (oblique/rib) isn't considered to be dealing with a long-term injury and could be available for Monday's game against the Vikings, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.
Advice: The 49ers have yet to provide an update on McCaffrey after he underwent an MRI on Monday, but Schefter's report suggests the running back avoided a high-grade oblique strain or any sort of major damage to his ribcage. Along with wideout Deebo Samuel (shoulder) and standout offensive tackle Trent Williams (ankle), McCaffrey appears to be in the day-to-day category as the 49ers prepare for their Week 7 game in Minnesota.
And Bynum is trending strongly toward getting smoked. All it will take is a shoulder twitch and he'll jump it or become frozen. Either way it's off to the races.
Bynum politely tells you to take your prediction and shove it. :point: :govikes:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cliff wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:48 am The 49ers are the best team in the league at generating INTs. Kirk has bad luck in Prime Time and is without his #1 receiver. If the team also continues to fumble it could get extra extra ugly.

Kirk and Addison need to develop better chemistry in a hurry. The running game has got to do something.
Kirk and Addison developed a lot of chemistry. The running game did not do anything, but came within an inch of a 75 yard TD on the first play of the game. It never got ugly. We took the lead early and held it all the way.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:34 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:58 am
And Bynum is trending strongly toward getting smoked. All it will take is a shoulder twitch and he'll jump it or become frozen. Either way it's off to the races.
Bynum politely tells you to take your prediction and shove it. :point: :govikes:
This is what happens when you stick to an old narrative and refuse to acknowledge that players can improve and change.

Cam Bynum has been our best DB all season long. If you’ve watched the games analytically, rather than basing everything on the won-loss record, you know this.

Kirk and Addison definitely balled out, but I want to acknowledge the defense. These guys have been improving steadily all season, and the game against the 49ers appears to have been their coming out party. They were tough against the run against one of the best running teams in the league. They rallied to the ball. They got pressure on Purdy even though they only got one sack. They forced turnovers. And in the end, they made the plays they needed to make. Brian Flores deserves a ton of credit for what he’s done with this unit.

I mean, can anybody imagine Ed Donatell’s defense playing like that last year?

This is the kind of performance that can shape a season. If nothing else, we Vikings fans deserved a game in prime time against a quality opponent where they didn’t embarrass themselves.

Great win.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I give them credit for playing hard and coming away with a win. I never thought they would win this one. I'm glad Addison was just having cramp issues. Kirk was firing the ball and also put touch on throws that needed it. Flores has this D playing ball. Many felt he was a great hire and they were right. Imagine if he had some talent to work with. A few young studs would be nice. Good for Bynum getting a couple Ints.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

This is the first game of the season that I actually enjoyed. I think that is the most fundamental goal goal for any sports team. They exist to entertain us. The Vikes have been far from entertaining so thats a big step forward. The injuries are starting to add up, but thats true all across the league.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Very enjoyable win. So satisfying.

After sleeping a little...the first thing on my mind about the game was an ugly play. In one of the last two drives (iirc it was the one with fg attempt), Kirk was about to mauled, slide up in the pocket, somehow didn't get sacked even with multiple lineman (theirs and ours) hitting him. And he then got the pass out for a 1st down. It's was third down I think.

Not a pretty moment, not a great ball, imho that was one of the best plays I've seen Kirk make in his career.

Many other take aways. That one is stuck in my head right now.

Both lines played very solid too. All around great team game.

Addison is good, glad we didn't pass ... kwesi. Happy for Bynum too!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

chicagopurple wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:33 am This is the first game of the season that I actually enjoyed. I think that is the most fundamental goal goal for any sports team. They exist to entertain us. The Vikes have been far from entertaining so thats a big step forward. The injuries are starting to add up, but thats true all across the league.
It was satisfying in part because they didn't have any idiotic turnovers. The one TO that did occur, Addison getting outmuscled on a 50-50 ball, had an electrifying and swift COMEUPPANCE at the end of the half with the exact same protagonists in the exact same scenario.... only the stakes were higher. Play of the game and it might turn out to be the play of the season. Addison is slight of frame, but huge in heart and he was simply determined to get his revenge on that ball. LOVED seeing that.

CMC fumbling in the red zone on the 49ers first drive of the game was the kind of thing that WE have done in past games. Those kinds of mistakes can (and have) cost you games.

We need to cash our easy checks better: two trips into the deep red zone (1 yard line even!) resulted in FGs. I thought for sure it would bite us in the backside. Excellent OL effort and excellent D play and scheme. Such a satisfying win. :appl:
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:40 am
This is what happens when you stick to an old narrative and refuse to acknowledge that players can improve and change.

Cam Bynum has been our best DB all season long. If you’ve watched the games analytically, rather than basing everything on the won-loss record, you know this.

Kirk and Addison definitely balled out, but I want to acknowledge the defense. These guys have been improving steadily all season, and the game against the 49ers appears to have been their coming out party. They were tough against the run against one of the best running teams in the league. They rallied to the ball. They got pressure on Purdy even though they only got one sack. They forced turnovers. And in the end, they made the plays they needed to make. Brian Flores deserves a ton of credit for what he’s done with this unit.

This is the kind of performance that can shape a season. If nothing else, we Vikings fans deserved a game in prime time against a quality opponent where they didn’t embarrass themselves.

Great win.
That anyone could be pining for Ed Donatell's 'we don't stop you, you stop you' defense in today's NFL is beyond belief. The game is so rigged for the offense that forcing the issue is the only chance a defense has of 'success'.

I predict the vikings are going to win a game by 2 or more possessions in the near future.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

makila wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:40 am Very enjoyable win. So satisfying.

After sleeping a little...the first thing on my mind about the game was an ugly play. In one of the last two drives (iirc it was the one with fg attempt), Kirk was about to mauled, slide up in the pocket, somehow didn't get sacked even with multiple lineman (theirs and ours) hitting him. And he then got the pass out for a 1st down. It's was third down I think.

Not a pretty moment, not a great ball, imho that was one of the best plays I've seen Kirk make in his career.

I agree. Great play by kirk...actually a great game by kirk.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

makila wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:40 am Very enjoyable win. So satisfying.

That play appeared to be a sack. No ifs, ands, or buts. Somehow it wasn't.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:26 pm
fiestavike wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:41 pm Fun game. Still say this team is significantly better than last year's. They play a style that actually has a chance, especially as they start to adapt to it.

Be nice if they could run the ball a little, but they couldn't do that last year when it mattered either.
In the end yeah the running game didn't work. Kirk didn't get sacked all game. Amazing.
Except when the clock comes into play, (un)fortunately it doesn't matter that much whether they ca run the ball. Passing has much higher upside and barely any more downside than running in today's NFL. It has successfully been transformed into a passing league.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:13 am
chicagopurple wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:33 am This is the first game of the season that I actually enjoyed. I think that is the most fundamental goal goal for any sports team. They exist to entertain us. The Vikes have been far from entertaining so thats a big step forward. The injuries are starting to add up, but thats true all across the league.
It was satisfying in part because they didn't have any idiotic turnovers. The one TO that did occur, Addison getting outmuscled on a 50-50 ball, had an electrifying and swift COMEUPPANCE at the end of the half with the exact same protagonists in the exact same scenario.... only the stakes were higher. Play of the game and it might turn out to be the play of the season. Addison is slight of frame, but huge in heart and he was simply determined to get his revenge on that ball. LOVED seeing that.

CMC fumbling in the red zone on the 49ers first drive of the game was the kind of thing that WE have done in past games. Those kinds of mistakes can (and have) cost you games.

We need to cash our easy checks better: two trips into the deep red zone (1 yard line even!) resulted in FGs. I thought for sure it would bite us in the backside. Excellent OL effort and excellent D play and scheme. Such a satisfying win. :appl:
KOC was gutless this game. That punt from the opposing 42 could have easily turned into a game winning TD drive by the 49ers, but the defense came through.
psjordan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by psjordan »

It’s not my intent AT ALL to throw water on this win - there were many plusses (no sacks holy cow) against a great defense. I’m pointing out the following only in terms of this team’s chances moving forward.

Our three wins were basically against QB’s with less than 12 games experience. That has made our defensive scheme look very good at times, as Flores can confuse/hurry young QB’s. Next two games will be the same situation for opposing QB’s (GB and ATL). So I do expect our D will have similar success in those games, which may cause undue celebration that our D is better than it is. Caution sign #1.

Lots of talking heads (including Joe Freaking Buck and SF HC) saying missing Samuel was the biggest piece leading to the loss (of course neither bothered to mention us missing JJ). However I thought the bigger loss was Trent Williams. All teams will have injuries, us included, here’s hoping our opponents are missing key players when we meet.

Our HC I think needs to learn what level of “gambling” (particularly 4th downs) is required to win games consistently. Last night worked out fine obviously, but there were 3-4 plays that I thought KOC shriveled up on. Dude, we were 2-4 at the time, gamble on your players now and then.

Our goal line offense is stinky at best. For a supposed “creative offensive guy”, KOC has not shown diddly-squat inside the five yard line. No more Cousins sneaks please, not sure Kirk could squat 200. KOC better get his arse in gear on goal line play calling if he wants more wins than losses moving forward.

No one is talking about our special teams today, but they almost cost us the game. Kene’s 15 yard KO return was a bad decision. Greg Joseph needs to clean up his act in a frigging hurry. Addison’s score before the half was such a high, then we plonk the PAT attempt to go into the locker room with a sour taste. DUDE, you need to hit those “momentum” PAT’s. Kicking woes are yet another reason KOC may want to gamble a bit more.

We can wax on about Addison and Cousins games last night, but to me the clear stars of the game were the OL, including the TE’s. Only one holding penalty, and that was by a TE. And yes it was partially Kirk but NO SACKS! Don’t know for a fact but it sure seemed like he had more time to throw last night than in other games. Really, that was great OL play.

All in all a great win, I certainly hope we continue to improve every week.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:40 am

Great win.
I've been the biggest fan of Bynum and have said he makes plays on the ball. The bad play against Mahomes allowing that completion pissed me off. That play needs to be made. That's how you win games. Deebo didn't play so who knows what would have happened. The last pick I don't know what Purdy was thinking. Of course the receiver might have run the wrong route. Only the coaches know. But Bynum did catch the ball because he has displayed that in the past. I've seen many dropped by DBs.