Vikings vs 49ers

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Vikings vs 49ers

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Deebo is trending strongly to play this week. McCaffrey and Trent Williams a bit more iffy, but both could play as well.

Tuesday 1:57 PM | Rotowire.com
Avoids long-term injury
McCaffrey (oblique/rib) isn't considered to be dealing with a long-term injury and could be available for Monday's game against the Vikings, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.
Advice: The 49ers have yet to provide an update on McCaffrey after he underwent an MRI on Monday, but Schefter's report suggests the running back avoided a high-grade oblique strain or any sort of major damage to his ribcage. Along with wideout Deebo Samuel (shoulder) and standout offensive tackle Trent Williams (ankle), McCaffrey appears to be in the day-to-day category as the 49ers prepare for their Week 7 game in Minnesota.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings vs 49ers

Post by VikingLord »

This game should be a blowout in favor of the 49ers, although I suppose the Vikings defense could keep it close if key 49er offensive players can't suit up.

The 49ers are everything the Vikings wish they were. They can get after the passer with 4 on defense, defend the run competently and effectively, and have a secondary that can make plays on the ball. On offense, they just wear most opponents down with an effective passing game coupled with a relentless rushing attack.

The Vikings offense continues to look ineffective and error prone. The offensive line has been better as of late but the skill position players still aren't playing up to their potential while the mistakes and drops continue. This upcoming game would be a fantastic time for them to get their mojo back, but I just don't see that happening against the 49er defense.

The Vikings defense did create some turnovers against the Bears and certainly had a better overall game than the Vikings offense relatively speaking, but that isn't saying much. True, they kept the Bears from putting up 42 points, so I'll give them that, but the same trends of passive secondary play and inconsistent front seven play that have shown up throughout the season will likely continue against the 49er offense regardless of whether injuries play a part in who can go for the 49ers.

I'm going to be a little more conservative in my score prediction because while the Vikings are not finding ways to win the close games this year, somehow they are finding ways to keep the score close. It won't be by the end of this game, unfortunately

Vikings - 13
49ers - 35
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

VikingLord wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:29 pm This game should be a blowout in favor of the 49ers, although I suppose the Vikings defense could keep it close if key 49er offensive players can't suit up.

The 49ers are everything the Vikings wish they were. They can get after the passer with 4 on defense, defend the run competently and effectively, and have a secondary that can make plays on the ball. On offense, they just wear most opponents down with an effective passing game coupled with a relentless rushing attack.

The Vikings offense continues to look ineffective and error prone. The offensive line has been better as of late but the skill position players still aren't playing up to their potential while the mistakes and drops continue. This upcoming game would be a fantastic time for them to get their mojo back, but I just don't see that happening against the 49er defense.

The Vikings defense did create some turnovers against the Bears and certainly had a better overall game than the Vikings offense relatively speaking, but that isn't saying much. True, they kept the Bears from putting up 42 points, so I'll give them that, but the same trends of passive secondary play and inconsistent front seven play that have shown up throughout the season will likely continue against the 49er offense regardless of whether injuries play a part in who can go for the 49ers.

I'm going to be a little more conservative in my score prediction because while the Vikings are not finding ways to win the close games this year, somehow they are finding ways to keep the score close. It won't be by the end of this game, unfortunately

Vikings - 13
49ers - 35
I appreciate the acknowledgement. 42 was only off by 29 points. They also kept the Bears below 300 yards of total offense which was pretty good. They also created 2 TOs not too shabby. The 49ers are a better team than the Bears. Even this optimistic Vikings fan expects us to lose this game. So that gives me hope that they will fool us all and win. Go Vikings.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

This game should be a blowout at the bank in favor of SF. Yes we looked terrible last week which also leads to a blowout look. But SF took a good physical beating on the road by a very solid Browns team. That might take a little steam out of them. I like this defense scheme Flores has setup but we have little if any talent. The secondary can be shredded. On offense I don't even know how we can score. Our running game is worthless and KOC will stop using it after 12 or so carries. Dump offs gain very little and we have zero big play potential. Addison has had a great start but he's certainly not a No 1 or No 2 guy yet. It takes time. Osbourne is what he is. There is nothing beyond those 2. So we don't have much there. I see the 49er D controlling the point which will make it a check down day to I guess Matti or some TE or quick throws to Powell or Oz. Anything can happen but we have been a team that does more to lose than win. I don't see a blowout because SF will pull guys to save their bodies. They will try and eat the clock get a win and head home. My guess is 21-10. We weren't at SF's level based on core team talent and we did little to nothing during the off season for that to change. I would like to see them get Risner involved so we can see what he is. Ezra is day to day so let him heal fully. I wonder how many 49er fans will be there. With JJ out I'm sure many were happy to dump there tickets for a profit.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:44 am Deebo is trending strongly to play this week. McCaffrey and Trent Williams a bit more iffy, but both could play as well.

Tuesday 1:57 PM | Rotowire.com
Avoids long-term injury
McCaffrey (oblique/rib) isn't considered to be dealing with a long-term injury and could be available for Monday's game against the Vikings, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports.
Advice: The 49ers have yet to provide an update on McCaffrey after he underwent an MRI on Monday, but Schefter's report suggests the running back avoided a high-grade oblique strain or any sort of major damage to his ribcage. Along with wideout Deebo Samuel (shoulder) and standout offensive tackle Trent Williams (ankle), McCaffrey appears to be in the day-to-day category as the 49ers prepare for their Week 7 game in Minnesota.
And Bynum is trending strongly toward getting smoked. All it will take is a shoulder twitch and he'll jump it or become frozen. Either way it's off to the races.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:57 am I appreciate the acknowledgement. 42 was only off by 29 points.
:rofl:

I noticed you aren't doing the Pick 4 this year. If you were, you would see how my predictions have been going so far...
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:57 am They also kept the Bears below 300 yards of total offense which was pretty good. They also created 2 TOs not too shabby. The 49ers are a better team than the Bears. Even this optimistic Vikings fan expects us to lose this game. So that gives me hope that they will fool us all and win. Go Vikings.
Of the two sides of the ball, I think the defense has played better and to my expectations so far this year. It's the offensive side of the ball that has under-performed. When the year started I thought if the defense could improve to around mid-league and the offense performed up to it's talent level, the Vikings could win a lot of games. And looking at how the season has gone, if the offense was not constantly costing them with shoddy execution, they could very easily have a record more like the 49ers at this point than the Broncos.

But with that said, I can't get past the ongoing issues with the defense overall and specifically the secondary. Flores can only do so much in one offseason, but I really did think the Bears could light them up. I'm glad I was wrong, and I honestly hope they prove me wrong against the 49ers as well.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

The 49ers are the best team in the league at generating INTs. Kirk has bad luck in Prime Time and is without his #1 receiver. If the team also continues to fumble it could get extra extra ugly.

Kirk and Addison need to develop better chemistry in a hurry. The running game has got to do something.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Purdy struggles a bit early with the pumped-up crowd noise. But they have Mitchell who had his career high against us. We need to load up against the run and force short passes to Kittle/Ayuk/Deebo.

Their D is rough. Not sure Mattison gets anything going. Going to be a game of short throws and screens. Hope we take a couple deep shots to Addison and a trick play or 2. God for bid through some 15-20 yd routes to TJ.

SF 27
MN 17
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

McCaffrey trending toward playing. :govikes:
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

cmoss84 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:27 pm Purdy struggles a bit early with the pumped-up crowd noise. But they have Mitchell who had his career high against us. We need to load up against the run and force short passes to Kittle/Ayuk/Deebo.

Their D is rough. Not sure Mattison gets anything going. Going to be a game of short throws and screens. Hope we take a couple deep shots to Addison and a trick play or 2. God for bid through some 15-20 yd routes to TJ.

SF 27
MN 17
Risner starting at G, hopefully KOC wakes up and starts Akers at HB.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Deebo not playing.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

allday1991 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:21 am
cmoss84 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:27 pm Purdy struggles a bit early with the pumped-up crowd noise. But they have Mitchell who had his career high against us. We need to load up against the run and force short passes to Kittle/Ayuk/Deebo.

SF 27
MN 17
Risner starting at G, hopefully KOC wakes up and starts Akers at HB.
It's about time for Risner. Yes Akers needs to get in there. Matti was given a fair chance to take over and he failed. He's a spot player no more no less.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:57 am Deebo not playing.
LT Trent Williams is doubtful with ankle. Hasn't practiced all week. That should be good for Hunter who is playing good ball.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

CharVike wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:33 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:57 am Deebo not playing.
LT Trent Williams is doubtful with ankle. Hasn't practiced all week. That should be good for Hunter who is playing good ball.
Nice
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

The Lions were trashed so that should help KOC with his pregame pep talk. Something like this .... a win tonight and we are back in the race men. Just no fumbles, pick off dead ducks thrown in the middle of the field and Kirk no pick 6's, backward passes or fumbles from you either. Let's go.