Vikings at Bears

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Vikings at Bears

Post by CharVike »

Looks like the battle for the bottom. Fields was impressive last week and it should be an easier time this week. Look for 100+ yards rushing and some deep throws up for grabs. I guess we will stack the O with our TE group so Hock will have some drops again, Oliver better off not throwing to him and Mundt will catch 5 for about 20 yards. Matti will catch a couple dump offs and then who knows. We will try to hit Addison with a few and Osborne will catch a couple maybe have one bounce off his hands for a pick. Probably run off tackle most of the day with our 3 backs and try to shorten the game. Not a slug fest. I see Peg missing a short game winning FG blocked right of course and Bears win 20-19. Could be some rain and I doubt Soldier field has any drainage so it could be wet in the middle.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings at Bears

Post by Maelstrom88 »

If the Bears could score 40 on the commies they can beat us. I think we will win because I don't believe Fields can read a defense but I wouldn't be shocked if we lose. The Bears have been awful in pass defense so far this year. We will see if they can capitalize. They have the weapons without JJ to put up 28 on this team.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

CharVike wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:37 am Looks like the battle for the bottom. Fields was impressive last week and it should be an easier time this week. Look for 100+ yards rushing and some deep throws up for grabs. I guess we will stack the O with our TE group so Hock will have some drops again, Oliver better off not throwing to him and Mundt will catch 5 for about 20 yards. Matti will catch a couple dump offs and then who knows. We will try to hit Addison with a few and Osborne will catch a couple maybe have one bounce off his hands for a pick. Probably run off tackle most of the day with our 3 backs and try to shorten the game. Not a slug fest. I see Peg missing a short game winning FG blocked right of course and Bears win 20-19. Could be some rain and I doubt Soldier field has any drainage so it could be wet in the middle.
The biggest surprise for me has been their ineptitude in the two minute drill. Last year luck was certainly a factor but they looked like two minute wizards. This year they are a clown show in those situations.

At this point they’re still talking like they’re going to recover and get on a win streak but I’m not seeing that potential this year. I have a favorite NASCAR driver in the running for the title and fall afternoons can be beautiful. I mention how I have been a Vikings fan since 1961 too often but this is where my experience redirecting my priorities half way through a tough season have saved some frustration. Give then another week of two and if their chances are mathematically impossible I won’t agonize over my wife making other plans on Sundays. We’re getting close.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

This game, at least on the surface, looks like it could be a shootout given how weak both defenses are defending the pass statistically. Both teams have been a horror show in the secondary, while both offenses (the Bears more recently, but still they've been proficient in the passing game) have been most successful moving the ball through the air. If that continues in this game, and assuming that both teams execute and aren't stymied by penalties and turnovers, it could be a high scoring game that comes down to which team has the ball last.

Both teams have been good at defending the run, too, so while the Bear offense has struggled running and and the Vikings have been better at it of late, I really don't see the run game of either offense being a deciding factor. Fields could be a factor as a runner, especially on 3rd down and any time the Bears roll him out of the pocket, so the Vikings will have to have a plan to counter that.

This is a divisional away game that will be outdoors in possibly muddy conditions. That type of weather usually slows the passing game and favors the run game, but it also tends to increase the likelihood that a slick ball will come loose, and given how easily the Vikings have been turning it over offensively this season, if it's wet and slippery, I think that clearly favors the Bears in the turnover department.

I could see one of these two teams putting up 40+, and I feel like either of them can do that against the other's defense. However, since this game is away and I expect the Vikings offense to continue their turnover happy ways, dropping catchable passes, and otherwise running around like the Keystone Cops in critical situations where execution and clock management matter, I think the Bears come away with this one. Vikings drop to 1-5 on the season.

Bears - 42
Vikings - 28
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Bears destroy the Vikings, but thats what we want. We need a real rebuild.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:52 pm This game, at least on the surface, looks like it could be a shootout given how weak both defenses are defending the pass statistically. Both teams have been a horror show in the secondary, while both offenses (the Bears more recently, but still they've been proficient in the passing game) have been most successful moving the ball through the air. If that continues in this game, and assuming that both teams execute and aren't stymied by penalties and turnovers, it could be a high scoring game that comes down to which team has the ball last.

Both teams have been good at defending the run, too, so while the Bear offense has struggled running and and the Vikings have been better at it of late, I really don't see the run game of either offense being a deciding factor. Fields could be a factor as a runner, especially on 3rd down and any time the Bears roll him out of the pocket, so the Vikings will have to have a plan to counter that.

This is a divisional away game that will be outdoors in possibly muddy conditions. That type of weather usually slows the passing game and favors the run game, but it also tends to increase the likelihood that a slick ball will come loose, and given how easily the Vikings have been turning it over offensively this season, if it's wet and slippery, I think that clearly favors the Bears in the turnover department.

I could see one of these two teams putting up 40+, and I feel like either of them can do that against the other's defense. However, since this game is away and I expect the Vikings offense to continue their turnover happy ways, dropping catchable passes, and otherwise running around like the Keystone Cops in critical situations where execution and clock management matter, I think the Bears come away with this one. Vikings drop to 1-5 on the season.

Bears - 42
Vikings - 28
Looks like Chicago had light rain earlier this morning, but it's been clear and windy for a couple of hours now. I would think that conditions will be fine. I do think both offenses could have success today. It's likely to be a good game. The Bears have improved a lot in the last couple of weeks. How will we cover DJ Moore? Kmet isn't bad either. Those are keys on D. On offense, how do we look w/o JJ? Can Addison blossom into a WR1?
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:52 pm This game, at least on the surface, looks like it could be a shootout given how weak both defenses are defending the pass statistically. Both teams have been a horror show in the secondary, while both offenses (the Bears more recently, but still they've been proficient in the passing game) have been most successful moving the ball through the air. If that continues in this game, and assuming that both teams execute and aren't stymied by penalties and turnovers, it could be a high scoring game that comes down to which team has the ball last.

Bears - 42
Vikings - 28
The Vikings defense politely said "Shove It" to your prediction. :govikes: :lol:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Nice game for Jordan Hicks good for him. I never expected that. I guess he would get the game ball. Fields gets a pat on the back for doing nothing. That always helps. We face an angry 49er team next Monday.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

What an ugly win. No one should feel happy about beating a team as bad as the Bears.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:28 pm What an ugly win. No one should feel happy about beating a team as bad as the Bears.
We had ugly losses also. I know you would like a tank season but no team will do that. It would end careers for people and players. It looks like the Panthers are tanking but that team lacks overall talent and are playing the 1st overall top pick QB who doesn't look like a top pick. Looks like an UDFA signing. Like the guy the Bears put in today who looked better to me. It's entertainment no more than that.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

CharVike wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:55 pm Nice game for Jordan Hicks good for him. I never expected that. I guess he would get the game ball. Fields gets a pat on the back for doing nothing. That always helps. We face an angry 49er team next Monday.
Angry? Yes, but almost certainly without CMC and Deebo.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Texas Vike wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:29 pm
CharVike wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:55 pm Nice game for Jordan Hicks good for him. I never expected that. I guess he would get the game ball. Fields gets a pat on the back for doing nothing. That always helps. We face an angry 49er team next Monday.
Angry? Yes, but almost certainly without CMC and Deebo.
If Cousins could wake up, we might have a chance to beat a good team next week. But Cousins wont, this is a prime time game, and Cousins panics at least 10 times. I would too with Exra, Ingram and Turdbury pass protecting.I dont understand how PFF keeps giving out IOL turds such good numbers when we can tell they just aernt good. They cant even run block consistently which :wallbang: IOL men are supposed to love to do. :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang:
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Why are we continuing to use Mattison so heavily?
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

makila wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:47 am Why are we continuing to use Mattison so heavily?
Maybe the offense is complicated and Akers hasn't grasped the finer details yet? That's all I can think of.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Cliff wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:43 am
makila wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:47 am Why are we continuing to use Mattison so heavily?
Maybe the offense is complicated and Akers hasn't grasped the finer details yet? That's all I can think of.
Valid point. That's possible.