JJ to injured list

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: JJ to injured list

Post by VikingLord »

Cliff wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:14 pm
makila wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:16 am

Agreed. I am curious to see Addison in the main featured role. Assuming we don't force kj into it. Wonder if we keep throwing at the same pace.
I don't think we have any option but to keep throwing. The team isn't built for anything else.
Seems like KOC has been trying to emphasize the run, but the offense has consistently been playing from behind so far so I don't think they've been able to do it as much as he'd like to do it.

It will be interesting to see how they go without JJ in the lineup. As it stands it seems like a lot of balls go to the TE's and RB's. Just imagine if they could both catch the ball and actually hold on to it what the stats might look like.

As for Addison, I was just re-watching the play where Cousins threw it to a double-covered JJ and KC broke it up and almost picked it. On that play, Addison was WIDE open on a crossing route underneath where Cousins threw on that play. For me, the question isn't can't Addison step up. The question is, why aren't more balls coming his way?If Kirk throws to Addison on that play he has room to run, but apparently Kirk didn't see him come wide open. Makes me wonder what Kirk is looking at on plays like that.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:26 am I'd trade JJ for two 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders.
If you could pull that trade off, you'd easily be the best Vikings GM in history.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:38 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:26 am I'd trade JJ for two 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders.
If you could pull that trade off, you'd easily be the best Vikings GM in history.
Davante Adams got a 1st and a 2nd in return. JJ is younger, most regard him as better, and has a much higher profile based on Fortnite and the well known griddy. Tyreek Hill had a bigger haul and was older than JJ with more baggage. The Chiefs got a 2022 first-round pick, a 2022 second-round pick, two fourth-round picks, and a 2023 sixth-round pick. I'm fairly confident a GM who knew what he was doing (not ours) would get the haul I proposed. The second 2nd round pick might be a 3rd instead but he should have no problem getting two 1sts and a 2nd plus another pick. Then you factor in the 30 million a year you will save and that's a pretty good return. JJ is 24. Adams and Tyreek were pushing 30 at the time of the trade. A competent GM would get a blockbuster deal like the one I proposed.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Bad news for JJ.

Guess we try the running game out for 4 weeks. Let Oliver block cause he sucks butt at receiving.

Going to be a boring 4 weeks. I wonder if JJ thinks maybe another team might be for him while he is sitting out. Maybe we could trade Kirk too and have a real rebuild. Im all for it if its dont right. But I dont trust KAM, at all/
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Vikings working out QB's including Colt McCoy.
So the rebuild will commence. I would Kirk trade, Ezra trade, Hunter trade, Hicks trade, KJ?,
Kwesi was trying to get ARichardson last year. Was trying to move up to get him! If this happened, then I bet he is going to gather as many picks as possible to be able to give up the haul to move up for Caleb Williams, or even Drake Maye., and still have the picks necessary for the draft to continue adding players.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

allday1991 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:16 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:26 am

We need to have a fire sale. Trade anyone that draws interest. Yes I mean everyone. I'd trade JJ for two 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders. I don't want to pay him what he thinks he should get. I don't think you win championships by paying WRs like QBs. The only player I'd deem untouchable is Darrisaw if he actually is a franchise LT. I honestly haven't focused on him enough to say if he is or not.
That’s not a rebuild strategy, trading young good players for draft picks isn’t a strategy, it’s just being sour and gambling. If they want to trade middle aged players they can afford coming up on contacts, I’d completely understand. But honestly if a GM started trading even good young players on good contracts they need to go. It’s a simple numbers game, we could get two first, two seconds for JJ the question is would it actually be worth it? There’s a good chance 50% of those picks won even be starters and if they do start that chances of them being HOF good are even lower. You’ll lose 80% of the time with this strategy.
Dallas traded a superstar RB and used those picks and players to build a dynasty. Plus they drafted well. It can be done. Finding a dumb GM is the key
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

this season was over before it started.
drafting a new QB is only a part of the issue.
even if we drafted the next Mahomes, it will lead nowhere until we entirely rebuild our front lines.
the more than decade long failures up front suggest that we have neither the management know how when it comes to drafting OR the coaching staff to develop the talent. Huge changes are needed.
I have NO confidence that the Wilfs have the know how or motivation to do all this. They are sitting pretty on their money maker.
those of you blaming the refs for the Vikes futility, stop embarrassing yourselves. MN needs no help to fail, they are built for it.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

chicagopurple wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:14 am this season was over before it started.
even if we drafted the next Mahomes, it will lead nowhere until we entirely rebuild our front lines.
the more than decade long failures up front suggest that we have neither the management know how when it comes to drafting OR the coaching staff to develop the talent. Huge changes are needed.
I have NO confidence that the Wilfs have the know how or motivation to do all this. They are sitting pretty on their money maker.
those of you blaming the refs for the Vikes futility, stop embarrassing yourselves. MN needs no help to fail, they are built for it.
QB is the least of our issues. We can't win the battle in the trenches. Any Superbowl contender plays ball at the LOS. Plus this collecting TEs is stupid. Get a dominate NT so this 3-4 can work and a couple top level Gs. A center is needed. A shut down CB is needed. We have bigger holes than QB.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:45 pm
VikingLord wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:38 pm

Davante Adams got a 1st and a 2nd in return. JJ is younger, most regard him as better, and has a much higher profile based on Fortnite and the well known griddy. Tyreek Hill had a bigger haul and was older than JJ with more baggage. The Chiefs got a 2022 first-round pick, a 2022 second-round pick, two fourth-round picks, and a 2023 sixth-round pick. I'm fairly confident a GM who knew what he was doing (not ours) would get the haul I proposed. The second 2nd round pick might be a 3rd instead but he should have no problem getting two 1sts and a 2nd plus another pick. Then you factor in the 30 million a year you will save and that's a pretty good return. JJ is 24. Adams and Tyreek were pushing 30 at the time of the trade. A competent GM would get a blockbuster deal like the one I proposed.
JJ is also on IR, so there is that, but if it came to having an elite WR or an elite QB, I'd probably take an elite OL and DL... :confused: :lol:

In all seriousness, I see the Vikings trying to get a deal done with JJ. If they finish poorly enough and somehow manage to snag Williams in the draft, they'd have Williams on a rookie deal for a few years while JJ makes the big money.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:33 am
chicagopurple wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:14 am this season was over before it started.
QB is the least of our issues. We can't win the battle in the trenches. Any Superbowl contender plays ball at the LOS. Plus this collecting TEs is stupid. Get a dominate NT so this 3-4 can work and a couple top level Gs. A center is needed. A shut down CB is needed. We have bigger holes than QB.
For the record, KAM could have taken Jordan Davis to anchor the middle of the DL, and could have taken Schmalz (sp?), the center who came out of Minnesota this last draft.

But at least we have Cine and Booth... :slice: :wallbang: :slice:
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:56 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:45 pm

JJ is also on IR, so there is that, but if it came to having an elite WR or an elite QB, I'd probably take an elite OL and DL... :confused: :lol:

In all seriousness, I see the Vikings trying to get a deal done with JJ. If they finish poorly enough and somehow manage to snag Williams in the draft, they'd have Williams on a rookie deal for a few years while JJ makes the big money.
I totally agree on the lines. I'd be ok drafting a lineman in the 1st every year.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:58 am
CharVike wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:33 am
For the record, KAM could have taken Jordan Davis to anchor the middle of the DL, and could have taken Schmalz (sp?), the center who came out of Minnesota this last draft.

But at least we have Cine and Booth... :slice: :wallbang: :slice:
Drafting is the make or break for teams. Every team has misses but Cine and Booth are worthless. But they won't be cut because they were draft picks. KAM traded downtown and got nothing. Hamilton was the pick to make. If we get the 1st pick it will be another trade down for nothing.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Dont forget how worthless Asamouh is. KAM is HORRIBLE at drafting and extensions.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

We over invested in Cousins and got stuck with an obligate pocket passer and NO pocket cause we have NO OL
Now we are about to over invest in TEs and WRs (given that they will likely massively put out cash to keep JJ as he puts seats in the stadium) and then, once again, cry poor and NOT put money in our OL......the Vikes are a bad CD with a skip that just keeps replaying.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

Cliff wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:22 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:59 am Time to tank. Any and all players would be on the trade block for me.
Time to tank? What have we been doing until now? No reason to tank on purpose, it's just happening.
Contrary to what fans think teams don’t purposely tank. Up until the hamstring JJ was working towards putting up the best numbers in history at the position. Others who will be free agents are trying put out good film. Nope, contrary to popular opinion they don’t have a team meeting and decide to suck more than they already do. All of us take pride in our work and don’t purposely withhold our best.

With that said GM’s can start selling off pieces and make winning more difficult. I can’t recall when the trade deadline is but I don’t see them having a yard sale on talent until they’re mathematically eliminated. That situation is getting close and a loss to the Bears could make it painfully obvious. The interesting part about what they do will tell us if ownership has the stomach to go beyond “competitive rebuild” mode. The actual games might not be as interesting but the Vikings YouTube channels would be can’t miss entertainment.