Way too early draft news: Caleb Williams

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Way too early draft news: Caleb Williams

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

From NFL North News:
BREAKING: Caleb Williams says he can make more money returning to USC next season then as a rookie in the NFL and says he can pick what team he wants to go to because of that.😳

Caleb’s only 5 team he would play for are the #Cowboys, #Raiders, #Vikings, #Giants, and #49ers.
Interesting that the Vikings are among the teams he’s play for.

Is it the coach? Facilities? Justin Jefferson? What do you guys think?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Way too early draft news: Caleb Williams

Post by Crax »

Jefferson mostly. May have helped with that #1 vote from the NFLPA for working conditions.

Cowboys, 49ers and I guess NY as well as far as media market size go, little surprised on the Raiders though as they have been such a mess for many years.

There has been a few guys in the past to force themselves to certain teams in the draft, but can someone not enter the draft and just field offers directly from teams? I assume they can't or it would have been done already by some QBs
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Crax wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:43 pm Jefferson mostly. May have helped with that #1 vote from the NFLPA for working conditions.

Cowboys, 49ers and I guess NY as well as far as media market size go, little surprised on the Raiders though as they have been such a mess for many years.

There has been a few guys in the past to force themselves to certain teams in the draft, but can someone not enter the draft and just field offers directly from teams? I assume they can't or it would have been done already by some QBs
Everything is different now with NIL. Williams is in several national commercials you’ve probably seen, such as Wendy’s and Dr. Pepper. He’s making money hand over fist. So if he doesn’t like who is likely to draft him, he can just go back to USC.

Of course, his college eligibility will eventually run out. And he’s not taking into account the fact that he can still make NIL money as a professional in addition to his NFL salary.

I’ll say this. JT O’Sullivan has done some deep-dive breakdowns on this guy, and Williams appears to be as good a prospect as any QB in the past 25 years. He’s mobile, he’s got a gun, he’s super savvy, he can escape pressure, he’s great at off-platform throws at various arm angles, and he absolutely excels at plays that go off script. In other words, sort of the anti-Kirk. Reminds me a lot of Mahomes, only not quite as big.

I would absolutely LOVE IT if Williams ended up in purple.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

No interest in the Rams? LA is a great media outlet and the Ram organization is solid starting with the GM. They don't sit still. Last place he should want to go is a team with a bad OL and can't draft. Bryce Young is finding that out quickly. He'll be lucky to make it through the season. Hits add up quickly in the NFL.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:31 pm
Crax wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:43 pm Jefferson mostly. May have helped with that #1 vote from the NFLPA for working conditions.

Everything is different now with NIL. Williams is in several national commercials you’ve probably seen, such as Wendy’s and Dr. Pepper. He’s making money hand over fist. So if he doesn’t like who is likely to draft him, he can just go back to USC.

Of course, his college eligibility will eventually run out. And he’s not taking into account the fact that he can still make NIL money as a professional in addition to his NFL salary.

I’ll say this. JT O’Sullivan has done some deep-dive breakdowns on this guy, and Williams appears to be as good a prospect as any QB in the past 25 years. He’s mobile, he’s got a gun, he’s super savvy, he can escape pressure, he’s great at off-platform throws at various arm angles, and he absolutely excels at plays that go off script. In other words, sort of the anti-Kirk. Reminds me a lot of Mahomes, only not quite as big.

Yeah as you pointed out, it's not the full picture. You don't have endless college eligibility. At some point the nfl will move on too. It also neglects the fact endorsement deals only get larger if you succeed as a professional. He is near his max earning potential in cfb currently. He isn't in the NFL.

Re getting on a roster... you have to go through the draft process. Either regular or supplemental. Obviously if you don't get drafted you can sign as FA. You have to declare for the draft though. And then any team that picks you, has your rights for 12 months. Then you have to reenter the draft the next season if you don't sign contract and repeat process.
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:31 pm I’ll say this. JT O’Sullivan has done some deep-dive breakdowns on this guy, and Williams appears to be as good a prospect as any QB in the past 25 years. He’s mobile, he’s got a gun, he’s super savvy, he can escape pressure, he’s great at off-platform throws at various arm angles, and he absolutely excels at plays that go off script. In other words, sort of the anti-Kirk. Reminds me a lot of Mahomes, only not quite as big.

I've watched lots of Williams. I live 15ish minutes from the University of Utah and have been to quite a few games there and watch about all of them on TV. I definitely think he's good, but my red glasses do make me feel he's a bit overrated, but I probably feel that about all USC players. Utah had his number last year though(I realize he was injured in the bowl game).

Him sounding like a diva already does make me a bit nervous(Would still definitely take him, just be worried about him forcing his way out after 1st contract). I guess Eli forced himself to the giants and it worked out fine.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Crax wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:18 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:31 pm I’ll say this. JT O’Sullivan has done some deep-dive breakdowns on this guy, and Williams appears to be as good a prospect as any QB in the past 25 years. He’s mobile, he’s got a gun, he’s super savvy, he can escape pressure, he’s great at off-platform throws at various arm angles, and he absolutely excels at plays that go off script. In other words, sort of the anti-Kirk. Reminds me a lot of Mahomes, only not quite as big.

I've watched lots of Williams. I live 15ish minutes from the University of Utah and have been to quite a few games there and watch about all of them on TV. I definitely think he's good, but my red glasses do make me feel he's a bit overrated, but I probably feel that about all USC players. Utah had his number last year though(I realize he was injured in the bowl game).

Him sounding like a diva already does make me a bit nervous(Would still definitely take him, just be worried about him forcing his way out after 1st contract). I guess Eli forced himself to the giants and it worked out fine.
I get the angst over USC players.

But don't forget ... Williams also played a year at Oklahoma and dominated there after taking over for Spencer Rattler.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

If we get a top 5 pick I'd rather lock up Kirk and JJ then draft Marvin Harrison Jr. I'm not passing on Marvin just because we have Addison. Jordan can play in the slot and we will have the best WR group in the league. Draft more interior lineman in rounds 2 and 3 and we will have a supercharged offense. We will figure out defense later :rofl:
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

I bet Ive watched more video of Williams than all other college QBs, ever. I loved him a year ago when he was throwing the ball to Addison and ive watched a lot of him this year. My only fear of him is, he runs too much and will get hurt, just like almost every running QB thats played in the NFL. He will have to learn to throw the ball first, and then, try and be like Vick, wiggle your way out of trouble and then take off running. He is such a great athlete. I would do a Hershal walker type trade to get him. Tank for Caleb. Even trade JJ if thats what he wanted, and get some 1sts and 3rds to trade for Williams, along with our or 1sts and 2nds. Hes that good. Ive never heard so much hype about a player, and its just getting started. OFC money is king to theses guys, and he will follow the money.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:45 pm I bet Ive watched more video of Williams than all other college QBs, ever. I loved him a year ago when he was throwing the ball to Addison and ive watched a lot of him this year. My only fear of him is, he runs too much and will get hurt, just like almost every running QB thats played in the NFL. He will have to learn to throw the ball first, and then, try and be like Vick, wiggle your way out of trouble and then take off running. He is such a great athlete. I would do a Hershal walker type trade to get him. Tank for Caleb. Even trade JJ if thats what he wanted, and get some 1sts and 3rds to trade for Williams, along with our or 1sts and 2nds. Hes that good. Ive never heard so much hype about a player, and its just getting started. OFC money is king to theses guys, and he will follow the money.
Doesn't 6-1 215 make you wonder how he will hold up running through NFL defenses or getting hit in the pocket? Seems like a smaller QB. But Purdy is only 6-1 and has had much success so far but I don't think he runs. Plus Caleb was sacked 30 times which seems high for a guy who can dodge people. Does he hold the ball too long? Limited awareness? Strange. How many would it be behind our middle sive OL?
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:08 pm If we get a top 5 pick I'd rather lock up Kirk and JJ then draft Marvin Harrison Jr. I'm not passing on Marvin just because we have Addison. Jordan can play in the slot and we will have the best WR group in the league. Draft more interior lineman in rounds 2 and 3 and we will have a supercharged offense. We will figure out defense later :rofl:
Agreed...but I have a feeling he will go #2. We'll probably be between 5-8 unless we super tank.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

Well that game against ND showed that even the presumed best qb ever couldn’t do squat against a swarming defense. He was doing his best Kirk impression last night stuck in the pocket taking sacks throwing pics and poor ball security.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Raz wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:25 am Well that game against ND showed that even the presumed best qb ever couldn’t do squat against a swarming defense. He was doing his best Kirk impression last night stuck in the pocket taking sacks throwing pics and poor ball security.
He's the most over hyped QB ever. Based on him he will pick the team he goes to and for some reason one of them is us. Not the sharpest knife in the draw. Otherwise he will stay in school and make more money. Again not the brightest of the bright. I guess he never heard of college eligibility. That only last so long. You can play in the NFL until you die once you meet certain requirements to enter the NFL.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

CharVike wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:27 am
Raz wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:25 am Well that game against ND showed that even the presumed best qb ever couldn’t do squat against a swarming defense. He was doing his best Kirk impression last night stuck in the pocket taking sacks throwing pics and poor ball security.
He's the most over hyped QB ever. Based on him he will pick the team he goes to and for some reason one of them is us. Not the sharpest knife in the draw. Otherwise he will stay in school and make more money. Again not the brightest of the bright. I guess he never heard of college eligibility. That only last so long. You can play in the NFL until you die once you meet certain requirements to enter the NFL.
He wants to make sure he’s in a good situation, nothing wrong with that. Even if you have all the faith in yourself in the world if the bears draft you what do you do? A franchise that’s never had a 4K passer, I’d be weary as well. If Mahomes was taken over Trubisky you really think Mahomes would put up similar numbers with a bears offence and without Reid? I sure don’t.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Raz
Veteran

Post by Raz »

I didn’t read it but on twitter the kid claims he wants part ownership of a team that drafts him.
Seems rather demanding