Chargers at Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Chargers at Vikings

Post by CharVike »

I think we win 31-30. Not too much to get excited about in this one. Chargers should dominate the point especially on offense as Flores fluffer 3-4 get's pushed all over the field and won't be able to slow down the Chargers half a$$ run game or go for broke passing attack. On our side we have a one dimensional offense but we will waste 3 or 4 series trying to run the ball and eventually KOC will abandon it for a pass only attack to get us back on track. Capt Kirk will take another beating and won't have much left at the end. A few dink and dunk throws for some meaningless completions to nobody. We hang on nothing more than that.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Chargers at Vikings

Post by Texas Vike »

CharVike wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:00 pm I think we win 31-30. Not too much to get excited about in this one. Chargers should dominate the point especially on offense as Flores fluffer 3-4 get's pushed all over the field and won't be able to slow down the Chargers half a$$ run game or go for broke passing attack. On our side we have a one dimensional offense but we will waste 3 or 4 series trying to run the ball and eventually KOC will abandon it for a pass only attack to get us back on track. Capt Kirk will take another beating and won't have much left at the end. A few dink and dunk throws for some meaningless completions to nobody. We hang on nothing more than that.
I can hear years of suffering as a Vikings fan in this post. Am I right?

Part of me is with you completely. Another part (the naive one) wants to believe that we finally cut out the turnovers and we win this one by 10. I think they'll run on us easily (thankful that Eckler is out, but Kelley will still get 100 yards bc our DL is soft), but i think our O will put up enough points to win.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Texas Vike wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:55 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:00 pm I think we win 31-30. Not too much to get excited about in this one. Chargers should dominate the point especially on offense as Flores fluffer 3-4 get's pushed all over the field and won't be able to slow down the Chargers half a$$ run game or go for broke passing attack. On our side we have a one dimensional offense but we will waste 3 or 4 series trying to run the ball and eventually KOC will abandon it for a pass only attack to get us back on track. Capt Kirk will take another beating and won't have much left at the end. A few dink and dunk throws for some meaningless completions to nobody. We hang on nothing more than that.
I can hear years of suffering as a Vikings fan in this post. Am I right?

Part of me is with you completely. Another part (the naive one) wants to believe that we finally cut out the turnovers and we win this one by 10. I think they'll run on us easily (thankful that Eckler is out, but Kelley will still get 100 yards bc our DL is soft), but i think our O will put up enough points to win.
5 decades but only 3 of this 3-4 BS. Steckle team was no 1 now these last 2 inept cases. Gives zero hope. But we have skill players so we will score unless Cousins gets knocked out.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

The way I see this upcoming game, the Vikings will finally stop making the mistakes that have killed them thus far. People talk about how the Chargers could easily be 2-0, but they've lost straight-up with zero turnovers so far, while the 0-2 Vikings have I believe the league-worst turnover ratio (and I include the JJ fumble out of the endzone to be one). Further, many of those turnovers have directly taken almost certain points off the board, points which, had they been scored, would have likely made the Vikings 2-0.

So I just don't see that futility continuing. It has been a storm of bad luck and unfortunate bounces thus far for the Vikings, and it stops this Sunday.

The Chargers are a strange team, In many ways they match up horribly with the Vikings, at least when the Vikings are on offense. They have a weak overall pass defense and JJ could go off on them. Who really cares if the Vikings run it? If the pass works, go with what works and win the game. If the run works, run it. There is no set formula for success. The Chargers offense appears potent, but my question is, where's the beef? They are 0-2 despite that potential, and as noted above, they haven't been plagued by turnovers. They appear to have some sort of chemistry/execution problem in key situations. As for Flores' defense, I suspect it will look less vulnerable overall and certainly less exposed in the running game if the Vikings offense can get a lead and keep the pressure on by putting points on the board.

Bottom line for me is mistakes - the Vikings offense stops making them and they'll win the game, perhaps even by a comfortable margin.

I'll go with a final score of Vikings - 35, Chargers - 24
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:24 pm The way I see this upcoming game, the Vikings will finally stop making the mistakes that have killed them thus far. People talk about how the Chargers could easily be 2-0, but they've lost straight-up with zero turnovers so far, while the 0-2 Vikings have I believe the league-worst turnover ratio (and I include the JJ fumble out of the endzone to be one). Further, many of those turnovers have directly taken almost certain points off the board, points which, had they been scored, would have likely made the Vikings 2-0.

So I just don't see that futility continuing. It has been a storm of bad luck and unfortunate bounces thus far for the Vikings, and it stops this Sunday.

The Chargers are a strange team, In many ways they match up horribly with the Vikings, at least when the Vikings are on offense. They have a weak overall pass defense and JJ could go off on them. Who really cares if the Vikings run it? If the pass works, go with what works and win the game. If the run works, run it. There is no set formula for success. The Chargers offense appears potent, but my question is, where's the beef? They are 0-2 despite that potential, and as noted above, they haven't been plagued by turnovers. They appear to have some sort of chemistry/execution problem in key situations. As for Flores' defense, I suspect it will look less vulnerable overall and certainly less exposed in the running game if the Vikings offense can get a lead and keep the pressure on by putting points on the board.

Bottom line for me is mistakes - the Vikings offense stops making them and they'll win the game, perhaps even by a comfortable margin.

I'll go with a final score of Vikings - 35, Chargers - 24
A fumble out of the end zone is an official lost fumble.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Time to tank. A team that cant get out of its own way, and a HC that is under qualified for the job. Both are embarrassments.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:35 pm Time to tank. A team that cant get out of its own way, and a HC that is under qualified for the job. Both are embarrassments.
Tank for what? The only thing go our way is Kirk. Jj and Addison. Hunter is playing well but we can’t afford him and jj. Even if we get Williams he can’t fix this mess. We needed to sign jj not our bum TE. We needed interior OL help not Davenport. It is what it is.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

This was the most Vikings way to lose.. classic Charlie Brown and Lucy loop on repeat, insanely improbable ways to disappoint you (INT? no, LAC TD, etc.) and yet they reel you back in cruelly making you harbor hope in your heart again... and then they fail to clock the ball? That final sequence was crazy. Staley TRIED to give us the game with his inept coaching and we just didn't want it. Being a fan of this team is just so exhausting.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Running off tackle was a nice change. Haven't seen that too often. Neither team really wanted this game. Chargers tried handing the win to us but we couldn't be bothered with having to put out the effort to make it happen so we handed it back. A lame effort from our guys. Off to Charlotte next week so I'm sure they are all looking forward to spending some time at Carowinds. I'm sure Cpt Kirk will spend some time at the Calvary praying for a injury free outcome. Maybe take a team building trip to the NASCAR HOF and Morton's steak house.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

I guess Cousins isnt allowed to take a knee or spike the ball away when the clock is running out, LOL
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

trade kirk to jets
trade danielle to whoever will offer a 1st or high 2nd
damage control w/jj

yes, 100% knee jerk, but wtf....
stop #### fumbling.
what the hell happened at the end, that sequence was all sorts of blah

need to digest before anymore thoughts that aren't emotional

texasvike, vl, or kapp, pull be back from the edge please :lol: :lol: :| :| :( :(
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

makila wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:53 pm trade kirk to jets
damage control w/jj

stop #### fumbling.

texasvike, vl, or kapp, pull be back from the edge please :lol: :lol: :| :| :( :(
We're 0-3 and truly should be 3-0. Just when you think they've exhausted their creative abilities in finding new ways to lose a game, you are marveled once again by their ability to discover YET new ways to blow a game.

I don't know if I can talk you off the edge. I'm ready to jump myself. What a frustrating game today.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

There are probably dumber ways to lose, but this is way up there. Just spike it. From the ESPN game writeup -

There was one problem. The crowd at U.S. Bank Stadium was so loud that quarterback Kirk Cousins couldn't hear coach Kevin O'Connell's playcall, both Cousins and O'Connell said afterward. A full 23 seconds ran off the clock as Cousins tried to hear O'Connell, and eventually just decided to call a play on his own. It ended with a tipped pass toward tight end T.J. Hockenson that Chargers linebacker Kenneth Murray Jr. intercepted to seal the game with seven seconds left.

"Just couldn't hear him with the noise," Cousins said. "Just ended up calling a play, and the play I called was the same play he was trying to get to."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/384 ... e-playcall
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

makila wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:53 pm trade kirk to jets
damage control w/jj

stop #### fumbling.

Kirk has a no trade clause so just cut him if you want him out.
40for60
Starter

Post by 40for60 »

This team is not going deep in the playoffs until they fix both sides of the line.