Vikes sign Risner

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Vikes sign Risner

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Vikes sign Risner

Post by Texas Vike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:34 pm
Glad to see that they made a move. Will he replace Ingram? When? Or is Darrisaw ("Darrishaw") still hurt?
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Hard to figure out why they didn’t do this before. I guess they needed to do something before Cousins got killed.
Now what position will he play? Was playing Left Guard. Also played center for a year in college. Maybe a backup in case Shottleman gets hurt.
Maybe Cleveland gets moved to tackle?
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Darrisaw should be back this week. I think they're finally admitting Ingram isn't good. Which makes that draft look even more putrid
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

halfgiz wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:42 pm Hard to figure out why they didn’t do this before. I guess they needed to do something before Cousins got killed.
Now what position will he play? Was playing Left Guard. Also played center for a year in college. Maybe a backup in case Shottleman gets hurt.
Maybe Cleveland gets moved to tackle?
This is strange on two fronts. The first is that Risner was still available this far into the season. Unless he insisted on a contract that would pay him more than any team was willing to pay him, that seems odd for a proven veteran, especially an interior OL player. I hope he's fully healthy and really wants to play.

The second front as you pointed out is Risner is a guard. Right now, it seems the Vikings need a tackle more than a guard (although for the record, they badly need a guard who can replace Ingram).

This move reeks of desperation, and desperate teams are teams that haven't drafted very well in my experience and thus are one injury away from a situation that forces their hand. At least KAM doesn't have to give up any draft picks for Risner.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:52 pm Darrisaw should be back this week. I think they're finally admitting Ingram isn't good. Which makes that draft look even more putrid
0-2 start I guess convinced them that he was a lot of the problem.
Or maybe Cousins complaining :whistle:
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Finally a good move by KOC and KAM. Risner can play multiple positions, as can Ezra (wasny he considered a good tackle at one time? My hope is Ingram eventually gets kicked to the PS and GB, Bears, or Lions grab him. Wonder why they had to wait to do this when the entire fan base knew it should have happened at the start of the season. smh :wallbang:
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

I am not complaining about G vs T at all. We need interior upgrades sooooo bad. We need people to play.

Put him at ROG and let's go. Wouldn't be surprised if they move Ezra over to right either. Don't care. We can't keep doing the same.

2022 draft looks like absolute junk at this time.

I am glad they made a course correction. I am also frustrated they didn't do this when they brought him in before. Prioritize the lines!
Last edited by makila on Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:00 pm Finally a good move by KOC and KAM. Risner can play multiple positions, as can Ezra (wasny he considered a good tackle at one time? My hope is Ingram eventually gets kicked to the PS and GB, Bears, or Lions grab him. Wonder why they had to wait to do this when the entire fan base knew it should have happened at the start of the season. smh :wallbang:
Yes it's all he played at Boise st.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:52 pm Darrisaw should be back this week. I think they're finally admitting Ingram isn't good. Which makes that draft look even more putrid
About time. Ingram has been terrible.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I saw 1 year 4 million. Get him in the lineup ASAP and let Ingram ride the pine. He was a pick so he can sit around and do nothing and still be OK. Maybe we can gain some yardage on the ground now.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Prior to the start of the season word was that Risner was demanding $8 Million and a guaranteed starting spot. Looks like the reason we got it done now is Risner decided that $4 Million was better than $0 Million.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:40 pm Prior to the start of the season word was that Risner was demanding $8 Million and a guaranteed starting spot. Looks like the reason we got it done now is Risner decided that $4 Million was better than $0 Million.
I'm no CPA/Financial guru, but I would concur with his assessment!

:lol:
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:25 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:40 pm Prior to the start of the season word was that Risner was demanding $8 Million and a guaranteed starting spot. Looks like the reason we got it done now is Risner decided that $4 Million was better than $0 Million.
I'm no CPA/Financial guru, but I would concur with his assessment!

:lol:
With this done now maybe we have some money left to make another improvement or two.