Bucs at Vikings Pre-Game

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Bucs at Vikings Pre-Game

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:40 am Here is a WILD development that probably contributed to the Viking defense’s inability to get off the field in the second half.
[Rachaad] White, who was interviewed by the Buccaneers Radio Network on Monday, was asked what sparked the offense after a rough start to the game. White credited Mayfield, who figured out Minnesota’s defensive signals in-game.

“I just remember Bake came in the locker room literally at halftime and said, ‘I got it. We got all these signals,’” White began. “We’re in there talking as an offense and he’s like, ‘I know all these signals. If they do this, they’re going into Cover-2. If they do this, they’re going into Cover-3. Every time I alert this and they do this signal, they’re dropping back to this.’ And I’m like, ‘Wow, that’s amazing.’ … I was just listening to him and we were listening to him and we just kind of understood.”
That’s something the Vikings HAVE to fix. The players on the field were giving a lot of hand signals throughout the game. You can’t let the opposition steal your signs.
How is this even possible? Is it possible the Bucs had the signals on both sides of the ball? Because it sure seemed like the offense also struggled more in the 2nd half.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:51 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:40 am Here is a WILD development that probably contributed to the Viking defense’s inability to get off the field in the second half.

That’s something the Vikings HAVE to fix. The players on the field were giving a lot of hand signals throughout the game. You can’t let the opposition steal your signs.
How is this even possible? Is it possible the Bucs had the signals on both sides of the ball? Because it sure seemed like the offense also struggled more in the 2nd half.
Honestly, I thought KOC's playcalling reeked in the second half.

Twice he went with tight end screens. Absolutely ridiculous. They never work. And for some reason, the Vikings under KOC cannot run screen plays to save their lives. Couldn't last year either ... the Cook TD against the Colts being a notable exception.

The Bucs also went to bracket coverage on JJ, which again begs my earlier question ... why is Jordan Addison only in on half the snaps? Why are we in 12 and even 13 personnel so much when it's obvious we can't run the ball? If they bracket JJ, then look to Addison, who averaged 3 yards of separation per route run. They couldn't cover him! But time and again, it was Hockenson and Oliver in the game at tight end, with JJ and Osborn outside. I get that you want to establish the run, but at some point you've got to WIN THE GAME.

I love KOC as a head coach. When he gets in a groove as a playcaller, he's phenomenal. The Vikings are borderline unstoppable. But sometimes he gets stuck in ideas that just aren't working, or he tries to get cute when he needs to get aggressive. He did not have a good half of playcalling against the Bucs.

It sucks that they had 3 turnovers in the first half because after the first couple of series, KOC was dealing. We should've had about 28 points in the first half, given that we had 300 yards of offense.

One more complaint. KOC talked last year about "winning the middle 8," meaning the last 4 minutes of the first half and the first 4 minutes of the second half. And it's true that games can be won and lost right there. Well, Tampa Bay got 7 points in the last 4 minutes of the first half, then went on an 8 MINUTE 59 SECOND DRIVE to score 7 more to open the second half. The Vikings not only got blasted in the middle 8, it was the middle 13! Aaaaggggggghhhhh! Like a broken record since the beginning of 2020.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Judd speculated that it was Bowles (a great defensive mind) who actually noticed the signs and just gave Baker the credit to pump his tires a bit.

Regardless, that has to get fixed if there's any truth to it whatsoever.

I agree with points made up thread: 1) Addison needs to play WR2 over KJ 2) we need to design plays better for both runs and screens. 3) We need to roll Kirk out so he's not a sitting duck and to mitigate our horrid interior line.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Texas Vike wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:38 pm Judd speculated that it was Bowles (a great defensive mind) who actually noticed the signs and just gave Baker the credit to pump his tires a bit.

I agree with points made up thread: 1) Addison needs to play WR2 over KJ 2) we need to design plays better for both runs and screens. 3) We need to roll Kirk out so he's not a sitting duck and to mitigate our horrid interior line.
Maybe it was Bowles, maybe it was Mayfield. Judd talks out his butt a lot. But you're right, it doesn't matter. They've got to change up the signs so that opponents can't get a read. Otherwise, creating chaos by putting 7 guys on the LOS goes out the window.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:36 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:38 pm Judd speculated that it was Bowles (a great defensive mind) who actually noticed the signs and just gave Baker the credit to pump his tires a bit.

Maybe it was Bowles, maybe it was Mayfield. Judd talks out his butt a lot. But you're right, it doesn't matter. They've got to change up the signs so that opponents can't get a read. Otherwise, creating chaos by putting 7 guys on the LOS goes out the window.
Judd loves to recklessly speculate, but I agree with him that Baker is an idiot. Ever see that video of him getting tackled my the Fayetteville police? If Baker was the 'mastermind' decoder of our D signals, we need a major improvement in the way we communicate on D.

I'm having a hard time getting a read on this game tonight. It helps that Gainwell is out.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Texas Vike wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:59 am
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:36 pm
Judd loves to recklessly speculate, but I agree with him that Baker is an idiot. Ever see that video of him getting tackled my the Fayetteville police? If Baker was the 'mastermind' decoder of our D signals, we need a major improvement in the way we communicate on D.

I'm having a hard time getting a read on this game tonight. It helps that Gainwell is out.
Did you see the clip of Mayfield getting run out of bounds by Byron Murphy? He’s yapping at Murphy, yelling, “You need some weight!” I mean, what kind of trash talking is that? What does that even mean?”

As for the Eagles, it also helps that James Bradberry and Reid Blankenship are out, and Fletcher Cox will be a game-time decision. Potentially 3 defensive stalwarts out, although their roster is good enough that it probably doesn’t matter.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:32 am
Texas Vike wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:59 am

Did you see the clip of Mayfield getting run out of bounds by Byron Murphy? He’s yapping at Murphy, yelling, “You need some weight!” I mean, what kind of trash talking is that? What does that even mean?”

As for the Eagles, it also helps that James Bradberry and Reid Blankenship are out, and Fletcher Cox will be a game-time decision. Potentially 3 defensive stalwarts out, although their roster is good enough that it probably doesn’t matter.
He's so cocky. I've always found him annoying, so I have a hard time accepting him as some kind of mastermind. :lol:
The Eagles secondary has some injuries, that's a help. I'm most scared for our OL. Cox being out would help, but their DL is still really strong. I fear Kirk won't have any time to set up. If they rattle him, we're screwed.