The Hockenson Contract Situation

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: The Hockenson Contract Situation

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Cliff wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:16 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:58 am
I'll believe you, but it just seems wrong from my recollection. I'm probably mixing up his deal with somebody else's. It sounds like we effectively sent a high 2nd. We desperately needed him at the time and he played very well for us. However, what we paid in trade capital should not effect his contract negotiations.
I couldn't remember so I had to look it up.

Link here.
The deal involved Minnesota sending a 2023 second-round pick and 2024 third-round pick to Detroit to land the No. 8 overall pick of the 2019 NFL Draft, as well as a fourth-round pick in 2023 and a conditional pick in 2024.

The agreement was executed hours before the 2022 NFL trade deadline of 3 p.m. (CT) Tuesday.
Like I said, I want him on the team and hope they can work out a deal. The team has basically gone all in on offense. High draft picks across the offensive line (three 2nds and two 1sts), high draft picks at receiver, 20% of the cap on the QB, and the draft capital given up for Hockenson. Can't pull the chips back now, he really needs to be there especially now that Cook is gone. To have that much invested in offense, we don't want to lose any more weapons.
So we get a 4th round pick and another pick that is conditional. That could be a first round pick it could be a 7th round pick from all that conditional pick tells me.
I did the research. that conditional pick is a 4th rounder in 24. So we got Hock, and two 4ths for a 2nd and a 3rd.
Vikings get:

T.J. Hockenson
2023 fourth-round pick
Conditional 2024 fourth-round pick
The condition: if the Vikings win a playoff game, that conditional pick drops to a 2024 fifth-round pick. In other words, if the Vikings do well as a result of the trade, the Lions will not have to send back as much trade capital as originally agreed upon. However, if the Vikings don’t win a playoff game, that pick remains a 2024 fourth-round pick.

All in all not a bad trade for a very good TE. If we don't keep him we will recoup a 2nd round pick IMO in trade.
I think we can easily afford to lose Hock. We have plenty of weapons without him.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:31 pm
Cliff wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:16 pm

I couldn't remember so I had to look it up.

Link here.

Like I said, I want him on the team and hope they can work out a deal. The team has basically gone all in on offense. High draft picks across the offensive line (three 2nds and two 1sts), high draft picks at receiver, 20% of the cap on the QB, and the draft capital given up for Hockenson. Can't pull the chips back now, he really needs to be there especially now that Cook is gone. To have that much invested in offense, we don't want to lose any more weapons.
So we get a 4th round pick and another pick that is conditional. That could be a first round pick it could be a 7th round pick from all that conditional pick tells me.
I did the research. that conditional pick is a 4th rounder in 24. So we got Hock, and two 4ths for a 2nd and a 3rd.
Vikings get:

T.J. Hockenson
2023 fourth-round pick
The condition: if the Vikings win a playoff game, that conditional pick drops to a 2024 fifth-round pick. In other words, if the Vikings do well as a result of the trade, the Lions will not have to send back as much trade capital as originally agreed upon. However, if the Vikings don’t win a playoff game, that pick remains a 2024 fourth-round pick.

All in all not a bad trade for a very good TE. If we don't keep him we will recoup a 2nd round pick IMO in trade.
I think we can easily afford to lose Hock. We have plenty of weapons without him.
Nice! It's only a bad trade if we can't resign Hockenson. Then we made the trade for 1.5 years of a good TE.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cliff wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:21 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:31 pm
Vikings get:

T.J. Hockenson
2023 fourth-round pick

Nice! It's only a bad trade if we can't resign Hockenson. Then we made the trade for 1.5 years of a good TE.
We don't need to resign him. We can trade him or franchise him.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:24 pm
Cliff wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:21 pm

Let me fix what I said.

Nice! It's only a bad trade if we <can't keep him on the team for one reason or another past this season>. Then we made the trade for 1.5 years of a good TE.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cliff wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:42 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:24 pm
Let me fix what I said.

Nice! It's only a bad trade if we <can't keep him on the team for one reason or another past this season>. Then we made the trade for 1.5 years of a good TE.
If Hock proves to be a POS and doesn't honor his contract that would be a problem. He could fake injuries all year and not play for us at all this year. Then we only got half a season out of him.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Perhaps this is why they signed TE Oliver. He's been labeled a blocker only but he actually caught the ball in college. As a senior in 2018, Oliver recorded single-season highs of 56 catches, 709 receiving yards and four touchdowns. Then this. He received a 71.5 overall grade from analytics site Pro Football Focus. PFF ranked Oliver as the NFL's eighth-best tight end, just two spots behind Minnesota's T.J. Hockenson, in 2022. Not sure if they have a position group salary budget or not. If they do I don't see how they both fit. Oliver is at 7 mill a year.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

If we do have Hockenson this year how many less targets do we expect him to have than last year. I have to believe that Addison will cut into that number a bit.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Just signed.

The Athletic:

Tight end T.J. Hockenson agreed to a contract extension with the Minnesota Vikings, the team announced Thursday. Here’s what you need to know:

The deal will reportedly make him one of the highest-paid tight ends in the league.
Minnesota acquired Hockenson in a midseason trade with the Detroit Lions in 2022. Hockenson, a two-time Pro Bowler, caught 60 passes for 519 yards and three touchdowns in his 10 games with the Vikings last season.

The 26-year-old hadn’t participated in training camp with the hopes of securing a new deal.

Backstory
Hockenson was selected with the No. 8 pick by the Lions in the 2019 NFL Draft. He hauled in 186 receptions for 2,068 yards and 15 TDs during his three-plus seasons with Detroit. Last season as a whole, he tallied 86 receptions for 914 yards and six TDs.

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

makila wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:32 am Just signed.

The Athletic:

Tight end T.J. Hockenson agreed to a contract extension with the Minnesota Vikings, the team announced Thursday. Here’s what you need to know:

The deal will reportedly make him one of the highest-paid tight ends in the league.
Minnesota acquired Hockenson in a midseason trade with the Detroit Lions in 2022. Hockenson, a two-time Pro Bowler, caught 60 passes for 519 yards and three touchdowns in his 10 games with the Vikings last season.

The 26-year-old hadn’t participated in training camp with the hopes of securing a new deal.

Backstory
Hockenson was selected with the No. 8 pick by the Lions in the 2019 NFL Draft. He hauled in 186 receptions for 2,068 yards and 15 TDs during his three-plus seasons with Detroit. Last season as a whole, he tallied 86 receptions for 914 yards and six TDs.

I'm disappointed to hear this. The wording of one of the highest paid in the league I presume means 15M a season or more. Kwesi seems to be doing the classic Rick Spielman overpay. If the contract comes in at 13M or less my apologies to Kwesi. In that case it's an OK not good signing.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

This deal is my greatest nightmare.
SKOR North
@SKORNorth
·
9s
PAY-DAY: #Vikings TE T.J. Hockenson is now the highest-paid tight end in the NFL, signing a four-year $68.5 million contract extension with $42.5 million guaranteed.

He's not worth that. He's nothing, but a check down receiver. We have other players to sign.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

We can't afford to resign Kirk now. We will have the highest paid TE and WR in the NFL starting next year and have nobody to throw them the football. Good luck to them with Jaren Hall as their QB.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:31 am We can't afford to resign Kirk now. We will have the highest paid TE and WR in the NFL starting next year and have nobody to throw them the football. Good luck to them with Jaren Hall as their QB.
Signed before jj? So we have 27 million tied up in two TEs? KAM…….. :hitfan: :hitfan:
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Talk me off the edge of the Grand Canyon somebody. We obviously have to let somebody go. Based on our TE glut and the overall value of TEs in comparison to QB, WR, and O Line Hock was the obvious guy to let go. However, if we are going to keep him can't we manage that for less than the largest TE contract of all time? If the signing was for 13 million I would not have liked it, but I would have understood it. We held all the cards. We have him signed for $9 mill this year and could franchise him for 12 million next and maybe 14-15 million the year after that.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

allday1991 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:30 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:31 am We can't afford to resign Kirk now. We will have the highest paid TE and WR in the NFL starting next year and have nobody to throw them the football. Good luck to them with Jaren Hall as their QB.
Signed before jj? So we have 27 million tied up in two TEs? KAM…….. :hitfan: :hitfan:
They're going all in on offense no doubt. Whether or not it's going to work out ... we'll see. They really need the offensive line to gel this season and start seeing a better investment. The draft capital has been invested to clean it up, now hopefully it starts to pay off.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I'm not crazy about it either. I think they will let Hunter go and invest all the big contracts on offense. I like Hock but I don't love him. Oh well he's here now so hopefully he can string together a few 1,000 yard seasons and improve his blocking.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.