Free Agent Guard Dalton Risner to Visit Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Free Agent Guard Dalton Risner to Visit Vikings

Post by CharVike »

He has started and is considered a good pass blocker. Not sure why he slipped through FA.
Risner is close with Vikings offensive line coach Chris Kuper, who coached him in Denver and attended Risner’s wedding.
As a pass blocker, Risner was effective last season with a 73.6 grade. Vikings Wire’s Judd Zulgad bring up that Risner is a natural left guard, a spot occupied by Ezra Cleveland.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Free Agent Guard Dalton Risner to Visit Vikings

Post by Maelstrom88 »

He would be a good signing. I hope they get it done.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

So he left without a contract.
I hope he signs with us. He provides a potential dilemma in the field house though. He is a better LG than Ezra, who is in the last year of his rookie deal and wants to leave to pursue being an OT elsewhere. But, Ezra needs to play to get that opportunity. Risner is better though.
Some things to also consider... When will O Neill be back to 100%? Also, how severe is Reeds injury?
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

It's a little late in the game if the Vikings are looking for more than depth at either guard position, and I hope the Risner visit indicates that only depth is a concern. If they've reached this point of the offseason and have concerns at either starting guard position, that doesn't bode well.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:22 pm It's a little late in the game if the Vikings are looking for more than depth at either guard position, and I hope the Risner visit indicates that only depth is a concern. If they've reached this point of the offseason and have concerns at either starting guard position, that doesn't bode well.
Things change. Perhaps Risner was looking for too much money and that is why no team was interested including us. Anybody with 2 eyes know we need better Gs. Ingram is set for at least 4 years because he was a draft pick. Ezra is in his last year so if they can get a guy do it now.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:00 pm They signed this guy:

https://nfltraderumors.co/vikings-signi ... n-dilauro/
does this signing have something to do with Reeds injury?

Risner I have a feeling he wanted more than the Vikings wanted to pay. And is going to weigh his options.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

halfgiz wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:09 am
Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:00 pm They signed this guy:

https://nfltraderumors.co/vikings-signi ... n-dilauro/
does this signing have something to do with Reeds injury?

Risner I have a feeling he wanted more than the Vikings wanted to pay. And is going to weigh his options.
They had a 3rd stringer,Sam Schlueter, that got hurt so they needed a body to help with practice. He will be cut. You would think the Vikings knew the number before Risner made the visit. Perhaps he didn't do very well on the interview or didn't fit the culture. Whatever that means.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:22 pm It's a little late in the game if the Vikings are looking for more than depth at either guard position, and I hope the Risner visit indicates that only depth is a concern. If they've reached this point of the offseason and have concerns at either starting guard position, that doesn't bode well.
Everyone in the entire NFL knows the Vikings have the worst guards in the NFL. ANYTHING would be an upgrade. But just like when Rick was here, the guards arent upgraded. Just ask Cousins what he thinks of them, or better yet watch the Netflix series about 3 QBs.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:09 am Everyone in the entire NFL knows the Vikings have the worst guards in the NFL. ANYTHING would be an upgrade. But just like when Rick was here, the guards arent upgraded. Just ask Cousins what he thinks of them, or better yet watch the Netflix series about 3 QBs.
I don't know if they are the worst guards in the NFL, but the interior of the Vikings OL does seem to struggle against the larger, more physical defensive interiors. I personally think having the entire OL intact for the second year in a row is going to help them perform better as a unit. They will still struggle, but continuity is important in terms of passing off rushers and blocking assignments, which has been a big part of the problem in the interior of the line the last several years.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:21 am
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:09 am Everyone in the entire NFL knows the Vikings have the worst guards in the NFL. ANYTHING would be an upgrade. But just like when Rick was here, the guards arent upgraded. Just ask Cousins what he thinks of them, or better yet watch the Netflix series about 3 QBs.
I don't know if they are the worst guards in the NFL, but the interior of the Vikings OL does seem to struggle against the larger, more physical defensive interiors. I personally think having the entire OL intact for the second year in a row is going to help them perform better as a unit. They will still struggle, but continuity is important in terms of passing off rushers and blocking assignments, which has been a big part of the problem in the interior of the line the last several years.
Another thing to remember is they're both young with a lot of up side. Cleveland is going into his 3rd year and Ingram was a rookie last year. We really don't 100% know what the Vikings have at guard yet, but we should have a much better idea this season.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

IIsweet wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:01 pm So he left without a contract.
I hope he signs with us. He provides a potential dilemma in the field house though. He is a better LG than Ezra, who is in the last year of his rookie deal and wants to leave to pursue being an OT elsewhere. But, Ezra needs to play to get that opportunity. Risner is better though.
Some things to also consider... When will O Neill be back to 100%? Also, how severe is Reeds injury?
Vikings placed guard/center Chris Reed on the non-football injury list. Reed can come off of the list at any time before the 53-man rosters are finalized without missing any games. O'Neill (Achilles) played with the first-team offense during a walkthrough Wednesday, Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com reports.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

I would caution everyone to recall all the positions we thought were in crisis mode this time last year. This staff isn’t afraid to make unexpected changes without much regard for our opinions. I look for similar surprises every season with these guys. The team that counts is the one that takes the field in September. We could have wrote a book with all the lengthy posts about last years tight end and backup QB situation. Suddenly they made some moves and everything was good.

Hang on and get a beer and some popcorn and enjoy the show. I especially liked the full page posts and ongoing arguments that are completely obliterated by one roster move. Makes no sense to risk carpal tunnel on training camp.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StanM wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:34 pm I would caution everyone to recall all the positions we thought were in crisis mode this time last year. This staff isn’t afraid to make unexpected changes without much regard for our opinions. I look for similar surprises every season with these guys. The team that counts is the one that takes the field in September. We could have wrote a book with all the lengthy posts about last years tight end and backup QB situation. Suddenly they made some moves and everything was good.

Hang on and get a beer and some popcorn and enjoy the show. I especially liked the full page posts and ongoing arguments that are completely obliterated by one roster move. Makes no sense to risk carpal tunnel on training camp.
Capt Kirk has said good isn't enough we are looking for great. Our G and C situation has been a debacle for a long time. Good isn't even part of the conversation at this point. Serviceable is more like it. That won't work against playoff fronts.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

CharVike wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:58 pm
StanM wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:34 pm I would caution everyone to recall all the positions we thought were in crisis mode this time last year. This staff isn’t afraid to make unexpected changes without much regard for our opinions. I look for similar surprises every season with these guys. The team that counts is the one that takes the field in September. We could have wrote a book with all the lengthy posts about last years tight end and backup QB situation. Suddenly they made some moves and everything was good.

Capt Kirk has said good isn't enough we are looking for great. Our G and C situation has been a debacle for a long time. Good isn't even part of the conversation at this point. Serviceable is more like it. That won't work against playoff fronts.
We can't have all pros at every position. Hopefully O'Neill is ready to go for the start of the season.