Free Agent Guard Dalton Risner to Visit Vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Free Agent Guard Dalton Risner to Visit Vikings

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:23 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:58 pm
Capt Kirk has said good isn't enough we are looking for great. Our G and C situation has been a debacle for a long time. Good isn't even part of the conversation at this point. Serviceable is more like it. That won't work against playoff fronts.
We can't have all pros at every position. Hopefully O'Neill is ready to go for the start of the season.
There isn't a team that has all pros at every position. But you can't have tremendous holes either that will be exploited by the better teams. We all saw how 97 for the Giants kicked our interior OL's ####. The following week the Eagles kicked his ####. The had 268 yards rushing. That's an incredible number. Total domination and that starts at the point. Of course it's only one game. That's what the playoffs are.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Not sure what the long term guard situation will be. Hoping that playing against the Defense in training camp with all the different blitz packages better prepares the offensive line for the season.
Sounds like some 11/11 drills the OL is getting their butt handed to them.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Without a doubt, the interior OL is not good. Ingram was a rookie and played every snap, hopefully learning along the way. Hopefully he utilized a full NFL off-season of lifting and watching film. I expect that within 2 years he is a very different looking player. NFL weight training, conditioning, and diet tends to transition bodies.
As for Ezra, I have never been sold on him as a G. Bradbury and Ezra were athletic type of players when drafted. That is crucial for the run game. This offense uses the pass more and is in need of big lineman. Cousins needs a pocket.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I think there is a positive with all this and that is our OL coaching. There was a noticeable improvement to the eye this year. Even in that playoff game they did have spots when they held up and we moved the ball when that happened. I don't see them signing Ezra and I think it would benefit us in looking to unload him for a late pick. He's still young with plenty of starts so there is some value there. He was a failed position switch and we don't need a tackle. Kewsi made no moves to bring in competition. Not even a late draft pick.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I wonder if Kwesi has thought of calling Dallas and trading for Zach Martin?
He wants a serious payday. I am curious as to wat it would take to trade for him ??
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

IIsweet wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:34 pm I wonder if Kwesi has thought of calling Dallas and trading for Zach Martin?
He wants a serious payday. I am curious as to wat it would take to trade for him ??
It looks like Jones wants him to play out his current contract which was the highest at the time he signed it. Eventually Jones will fold and probably guarantee the last 2 years with some additional money. Dallas is in a win now mode and losing a player like that would certainly hinder the win now stuff. He's light years ahead of what we march out there. The guy didn't allow a sack and had one penalty. That's impressive.