Dalvin Cook's Future

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Fat Stupid Loser
Starter

Re: Dalvin Cook's Future

Post by Fat Stupid Loser »

Fix the O line with that money.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Fat Stupid Loser wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:34 pm Fix the O line with that money.
I'm guessing they'll pay Hunter with it.
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

I know we'd have all complained to get low level draft picks, but I wish we would have been able to get something. Why does it seem like the Vikings can never seem to be the beneficiary of the types of trade deals that other teams can get?
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:28 am I know we'd have all complained to get low level draft picks, but I wish we would have been able to get something. Why does it seem like the Vikings can never seem to be the beneficiary of the types of trade deals that other teams can get?
Because we have a genius.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Thaumaturgist wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:28 am I know we'd have all complained to get low level draft picks, but I wish we would have been able to get something. Why does it seem like the Vikings can never seem to be the beneficiary of the types of trade deals that other teams can get?
Because you have to have a trade partner. No team in the NFL is willing to pay Cook how much was on his contract. Many teams won't even pay that much for any RB period.

Ezekiel Elliott was cut this off-season too for similar reasons.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Dalvin Cook Future

Post by VikingsVictorious »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:07 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:31 am
If Dalvin were to restructure his deal to $5M it would only cost us $1M more than cutting him was my understanding. I don't think Mattison is making $15 Million. Maybe Mattison's total contract value is $15M is that what you mean? Same thing regarding CJ Ham. I don't think he's making more than $5M.
I may be misunderstanding what you meant about Cook's salary.

Mattison signed a 2-year, $7 million deal. So his AAV is $3.5 million per year.

And I am mistaken. I didn't see that Ham actually signed a 2-year, $8.65 million contract extension, with $4.4 million guaranteed and a $2.3 million signing bonus.

That's almost $8 million a year for Mattison and Ham. Cook is as good as gone.
We ended up releasing Cook anyway, but my point was if we had to pay him $4Million to cut him and we could pay him $5Million and keep him we were effectively getting him for $1Million. Didn't happen.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

It was pretty obvious that every other team wasn’t going to take on his contract and he would end up being cut. Nobody was willing to pay that price or try to negotiate the numbers down knowing the asking price. Cutting Dalvin negated that and teams can negotiate with a clean slate. Everyone knew the Vikings were going to try to cut him.

It’s kind of like when my wife tries to sell something at a garage sale and doesn’t get any offers. The whole neighborhood knows she’s going to put a free sign on it the last day. Kind of the same thing with Dalvin and the rest of the NFL. It would have been interesting if we had retained Spielman and could see how he would have resolved the salary mess he helped create. The house cleaning had to be done and in this case the Vikings didn’t have leverage.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Very in depth analysis of DeWayne McBride.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:37 pm Very in depth analysis of DeWayne McBride.
The fumble issues are a big concern. But who knows. He is a pounding type of back. The guy did a good job with his analysis. Not too much homerism. If Chandler develops and give us that pass catching back that would be a huge win and we can have multiple backs.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:52 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:37 pm Very in depth analysis of DeWayne McBride.
The fumble issues are a big concern. But who knows. He is a pounding type of back. The guy did a good job with his analysis. Not too much homerism. If Chandler develops and give us that pass catching back that would be a huge win and we can have multiple backs.
I doubt McBride ends up playing a major role in the offense this coming year given Mattison will be the clear #1 and the Vikings have Chandler and Nwangwu in the wings as well. Maybe we'll see McBride on special teams or if one of the other RBs gets hurt or doesn't make the final cut.

As a prospect, there is a lot to like about him. It just seems the Vikings are RB rich right now, and there is a lot to like about the guys in front of him as well. But maybe he'll come in and tear it up during the offseason and KOC won't have a choice but to start him. That would be nice since while I like the RBs the Vikings have right now, I don't think any of them are game-changers.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:19 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:52 pm
I doubt McBride ends up playing a major role in the offense this coming year given Mattison will be the clear #1 and the Vikings have Chandler and Nwangwu in the wings as well. Maybe we'll see McBride on special teams or if one of the other RBs gets hurt or doesn't make the final cut.

As a prospect, there is a lot to like about him. It just seems the Vikings are RB rich right now, and there is a lot to like about the guys in front of him as well. But maybe he'll come in and tear it up during the offseason and KOC won't have a choice but to start him. That would be nice since while I like the RBs the Vikings have right now, I don't think any of them are game-changers.
It doesn't help that McBride hasn't participated in pretty much anything, due to some sort of undisclosed injury. When asked about McBride, Kevin O'Connell called him, "The rookie." You know that O'Connell knows everybody's name, so I'm guessing McBride is pretty down the depth chart in the running back room.

Reports from mandatory minicamp are that Kene Nwangwu — not Ty Chandler — did the bulk of the work with the 2s. That surprises me. The coaching staff really likes Chandler.

Gonna be in interesting training camp.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Dalvin Cook Future

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:19 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:07 pm
I may be misunderstanding what you meant about Cook's salary.

Mattison signed a 2-year, $7 million deal. So his AAV is $3.5 million per year.

And I am mistaken. I didn't see that Ham actually signed a 2-year, $8.65 million contract extension, with $4.4 million guaranteed and a $2.3 million signing bonus.

That's almost $8 million a year for Mattison and Ham. Cook is as good as gone.
We ended up releasing Cook anyway, but my point was if we had to pay him $4Million to cut him and we could pay him $5Million and keep him we were effectively getting him for $1Million. Didn't happen.
Ah ... I get it.

Apparently Cook wasn't open to a pay cut. Now he's going to be forced to take one. Believe me when I tell you, I still believe Dalvin Cook is better than any running back we have on the roster. But with running backs, salary is an issue, especially when they've been in the league 6 years. I'll miss his big-play ability, for sure.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:20 pm Reports from mandatory minicamp are that Kene Nwangwu — not Ty Chandler — did the bulk of the work with the 2s. That surprises me. The coaching staff really likes Chandler.
I really like Nwangu ever since they drafted him, which I remember well because you were one of the few (if not the only) person on the board who knew much about him and spoke very highly of him. I was very skeptical of him, especially where they took him, but I learned more about him, watched his post-draft interviews, and have enjoyed watching what he's done so far mostly returning kickoffs. He's someone who is incredibly easy to like and root for and based on everything I know about him he's going to put in the work to get better and be ready for whatever they ask him to do. It doesn't surprise me he ran with the 2nd team at this point, nor would it surprise me if he earns the backup RB role and gets significant snaps during the regular season.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:20 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:20 pm Reports from mandatory minicamp are that Kene Nwangwu — not Ty Chandler — did the bulk of the work with the 2s. That surprises me. The coaching staff really likes Chandler.
I really like Nwangu ever since they drafted him, which I remember well because you were one of the few (if not the only) person on the board who knew much about him and spoke very highly of him. I was very skeptical of him, especially where they took him, but I learned more about him, watched his post-draft interviews, and have enjoyed watching what he's done so far mostly returning kickoffs. He's someone who is incredibly easy to like and root for and based on everything I know about him he's going to put in the work to get better and be ready for whatever they ask him to do. It doesn't surprise me he ran with the 2nd team at this point, nor would it surprise me if he earns the backup RB role and gets significant snaps during the regular season.
I did speak highly of him. He's a guy of very high character, one of the most respected and beloved players to ever put on a uniform at Iowa State.

The thing is ... he's never started. He barely got any run out of the backfield at all during his first two years in the NFL, and he never had more than 61 carries in a season in college. Kind of makes me wonder why.

Kene has great speed. One of the fastest players in the league. But I wonder about his vision and instincts as a running back. When you've got that kind of athletic ability and you don't start, something's amiss.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

In college he was sandwiched between David Montgomery and then Breece Hall, who arguably was one of the most impressive runners last year before injury. 2 NFL starting RBs.
So then he gets drafted by the Vikings and you got it... Dalvin Cook is there and Mattison.
There is no idea what the kid can do. If they see something special in him.... That's awesome !!!