Dalvin Cook's Future

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Dalvin Cook's Future

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Cliff wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:06 pm
VikingLord wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:28 am Besides, if the money is largely the same all-things-considered, why go to a different team? Unless, as Stump seems to believe, Cook feels the Vikings cheated him out of something, why go somewhere else where success and role will be less clear?
The biggest is if he has a comparable deal in Miami. He was born in Florida, went to high school in Miami, and played at Florida state. I think connecting dots from there is pretty obvious.

So basically non-football related stuff. He may want to live in a bigger city as well (new york).

That's only if all other things are equal. Otherwise he'll take the best financial deal possible and he'd be a fool not to.
Another reason is that Florida has no state income tax. On a multimillion dollar salary, that's no small change.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

If he's offered a comparable deal, but I really don't think he's going to get a better offer than what the Vikings have on the table. There are still several good vet RBs available in free agency at this point, and teams don't seem eager to spend a lot of money on the position anymore when many teams are getting good production from younger players or a rotation of players.

In fact, given the youth and talent the Vikings currently have at RB, it barely makes sense for them to offer Cook what they're offering him. It seems very generous and, if he accepts it, they'll also likely have to part with one of their young, promising backs to make room on the roster. That's effectively paying a premium for one more season of production from a now aging player in exchange for losing potentially several seasons of production from a younger player who has his best years in front of him.

I get why the Vikings want Cook back, and I can't say it would be a bad move on their part to have him back provided his play doesn't decline significantly from where it was last year, but it is also a semi short-sighted move to some degree.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:47 pm If he's offered a comparable deal, but I really don't think he's going to get a better offer than what the Vikings have on the table. There are still several good vet RBs available in free agency at this point, and teams don't seem eager to spend a lot of money on the position anymore when many teams are getting good production from younger players or a rotation of players.

In fact, given the youth and talent the Vikings currently have at RB, it barely makes sense for them to offer Cook what they're offering him. It seems very generous and, if he accepts it, they'll also likely have to part with one of their young, promising backs to make room on the roster. That's effectively paying a premium for one more season of production from a now aging player in exchange for losing potentially several seasons of production from a younger player who has his best years in front of him.

I get why the Vikings want Cook back, and I can't say it would be a bad move on their part to have him back provided his play doesn't decline significantly from where it was last year, but it is also a semi short-sighted move to some degree.
Perhaps after the workouts they weren't impressed by the young promising backs and that is why they made the offer. It is short sighted but Cook will make us a better team and more entertaining. Plus Cook can catch the ball. It's no different than bringing back H Smith at a reduced rate. They have youth and talent there also. Someone will be cut or ride the pine.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:17 pm Perhaps after the workouts they weren't impressed by the young promising backs and that is why they made the offer. It is short sighted but Cook will make us a better team and more entertaining. Plus Cook can catch the ball. It's no different than bringing back H Smith at a reduced rate. They have youth and talent there also. Someone will be cut or ride the pine.
Maybe, but I suspect it has more to do with a combination of wanting to do right by Cook coupled with Cook's familiarity with the offense and system. Having him line up behind Cousins is one less thing KOC has to worry about when deciding how to best attack opposing defenses.

My main concern with the latter is that Cook's production was starting to tail off already last year IIRC. He wasn't as explosive and while he managed to stay on the field, I would say he was less of a factor overall than he had been in years prior. Plus, the offense wasn't nearly as run-oriented under KOC as it had been under Zimmer. So there was just less emphasis overall on RB production and the production that was there was generally less. Some of that can be attributed to the offensive line play I suppose, but most is probably a combination of Cook's mileage and KOC's offensive philosophy.

The other thing that could factor into the Vikings' offer to Cook is that they feel that's the best bang they can get in FA for the buck, which might be accurate. KAM has a reputation of looking at player value as a stock, and if he is doing that he's going to try to buy low and watch his investment rise in value. This is a tricky thing to do because so many things go into a given player's ability to perform over the course of a season, but if there are no sentimental reasons to make the offer, KAM, and by extension KOC, must feel like that investment makes sense.

I wonder when the remaining vet RBs in free agency will decide where they're going. At this point, less and less money is chasing the ones that remain.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:08 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:17 pm Perhaps after the workouts they weren't impressed by the young promising backs and that is why they made the offer. It is short sighted but Cook will make us a better team and more entertaining. Plus Cook can catch the ball. It's no different than bringing back H Smith at a reduced rate. They have youth and talent there also. Someone will be cut or ride the pine.
Maybe, but I suspect it has more to do with a combination of wanting to do right by Cook coupled with Cook's familiarity with the offense and system. Having him line up behind Cousins is one less thing KOC has to worry about when deciding how to best attack opposing defenses.

My main concern with the latter is that Cook's production was starting to tail off already last year IIRC. He wasn't as explosive and while he managed to stay on the field, I would say he was less of a factor overall than he had been in years prior. Plus, the offense wasn't nearly as run-oriented under KOC as it had been under Zimmer. So there was just less emphasis overall on RB production and the production that was there was generally less. Some of that can be attributed to the offensive line play I suppose, but most is probably a combination of Cook's mileage and KOC's offensive philosophy.

The other thing that could factor into the Vikings' offer to Cook is that they feel that's the best bang they can get in FA for the buck, which might be accurate. KAM has a reputation of looking at player value as a stock, and if he is doing that he's going to try to buy low and watch his investment rise in value. This is a tricky thing to do because so many things go into a given player's ability to perform over the course of a season, but if there are no sentimental reasons to make the offer, KAM, and by extension KOC, must feel like that investment makes sense.

I wonder when the remaining vet RBs in free agency will decide where they're going. At this point, less and less money is chasing the ones that remain.
That 64 yard screen pass for a TD was a thing of beauty. I think it was the longest of his career. He had an 81 yard run which was his longest. He still has wheels and I like seeing that. Perhaps his bum shoulder was causing some problems. But your correct with the age. It's a gamble but it's only a one year gamble. Plus players age differently. I think Cook is a leader and he plays his #### off. The guy wants it. That's great for the kids across the entire team to see. I don't see the market bringing the huge contracts. That window is closed.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Watch a team like Washington sign both Cook and Elliott and have them both run 20+ times a game. With those 2 and a solid D, clock control would be fierce. A lot of 2 hr, 20-10 games. :lol:
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Saw this stuff about Cook paying off a former girlfriend to keep quite for a civil case which might be effecting his FA movement.
On Thursday, Florio wrote: “Throughout his free agency, there has been chatter in league circles regarding hesitation arising from the possibility of a suspension.”
The speculations come in the wake of news regarding a settlement offer made by Cook for his 2021 Domestic Violence case.
https://brobible.com/sports/article/dal ... on-coming/
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nfl-free ... ons-report
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Joins Rodgers with nyj. 8.6m. Wow. Good for him!

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I thought I read that the Vikings offered Cook a new deal that took his cap number for this year down to $12 million from $14 million. Either that was incorrect or I guess Cook decided to cut off his nose to spite his face because he didn't like it that the Vikings wanted to cancel the long-term deal they made with him. $8.6 million for a year isn't bad, but it's well shy of $12 million (once again, assuming that number is what the Vikings offered him for the same year).

Good luck to him. I liked Cook and would have liked to see him in Purple again this year, but I don't think the Vikings are going to struggle to replace his production.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:19 pm I thought I read that the Vikings offered Cook a new deal that took his cap number for this year down to $12 million from $14 million. Either that was incorrect or I guess Cook decided to cut off his nose to spite his face because he didn't like it that the Vikings wanted to cancel the long-term deal they made with him. $8.6 million for a year isn't bad, but it's well shy of $12 million (once again, assuming that number is what the Vikings offered him for the same year).

Good luck to him. I liked Cook and would have liked to see him in Purple again this year, but I don't think the Vikings are going to struggle to replace his production.
Cook is getting $5 million from the Vikings this year if I understand correctly. Total 13.6 million. I'm guessing lots of unlikely to be achieved incentives and he won't come close to 8.6 from the Jets.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:20 pm
VikingLord wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:19 pm I thought I read that the Vikings offered Cook a new deal that took his cap number for this year down to $12 million from $14 million. Either that was incorrect or I guess Cook decided to cut off his nose to spite his face because he didn't like it that the Vikings wanted to cancel the long-term deal they made with him. $8.6 million for a year isn't bad, but it's well shy of $12 million (once again, assuming that number is what the Vikings offered him for the same year).

Cook is getting $5 million from the Vikings this year if I understand correctly. Total 13.6 million. I'm guessing lots of unlikely to be achieved incentives and he won't come close to 8.6 from the Jets.
Only 1.6m is in incentives:
1,250 Rush Yards: $400,000
1,500 Yards from Scrimmage: $400,000
$205,000 per playoff win (requires 1,250 regular season rush yards, $820,000 max)
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Cliff wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:25 am
$205,000 per playoff win (requires 1,250 regular season rush yards, $820,000 max)
So basically, if he doesn't reach any of the incentives he ends up with the $12 million he would have gotten from the Vikings.

I hope he enjoys New Jersey.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Cliff wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:25 am
A huge overpay from the Jets who already have Breece Hall.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

I just watched the last minutes of the 2022 Vikings vs Bills.
So fun. Remembering that game makes me miss Dalvin Cook, but all in all it's for the best that he's gone.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:58 pm I just watched the last minutes of the 2022 Vikings vs Bills.
So fun. Remembering that game makes me miss Dalvin Cook, but all in all it's for the best that he's gone.
Cook had a very good career with us. I enjoyed watching him. I surprised we couldn't get anything for him. Don't matter now.