Jordan Addison

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Jordan Addison

Post by IIsweet »

Some info about the newest Viking...
SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS
Has good athletic ability and some deep speed, outstanding cutting ability, reliable hands, and surprising toughness
Has consistently put up outstanding numbers at the college level - established himself as the top receiver in the nation
Often used on deep routes, getting separation down the sideline or over the middle on crossing routes by extending his arms rather than pure speed.
Combines speed, balance, quickness, vision, and crisp cuts to leave defensive backs and linebackers in the dust
Has elite change of direction can cut on a dime
Manages to find holes in coverage and has exceptional hands with equally impressive body control
Does a nice job locating and tracking deep passes and is a legitimate vertical threat. Willing to go up and attack the ball.
Flashes the foot quickness and toughness to handle slot duties at the next level and lines up all over the field. A threat whenever he has the ball
Has the strong hands any NFL wide receiver coach and quarterback would covet. Tracks the deep ball over either shoulder and brings in passes fluidly without breaking stride downfield.
Is one of the best route runners n the 2023 draft class. Elite technician
A slippery runner with elusive footwork. Has little to no wasted movements between the reception and burst upfield.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES
Very slight receiver who will be exclusively considered a slot player
Has never really faced press man coverage - so it is yet to be determined how he would hold up against pro-level defenders - may end up getting pushed around
Has too many concentration drops - will need to become more consistent
2022 wasn't as dominating as the previous year - let's hope it's not a trend
Does not always use his hands to secure deep throws, allowing the ball into his pads and chest - has had more concentration drops than you would expect for a player of his ability

PLAYER COMPARISON
DeVonta Smith

Give me this all day as the opposite to JJ. This leaves TJ with room to operate also. I personally wanted Zay Flowers as a Tyreek Hill clone, but this kid is supposedly awesome. I am not thrilled with his lack of size, but Devonta Smith nor Jayden Waddle are big.
I think that this offense just got better with this pick. He is supposedly good enough to start day 1 with JJ. I am envisioning our offense looking like the Chiefs, Eagles, and the 49ers with how they use Kelce, Kittle, and Goedert.
Just need to improve the interior OL now !
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Jordan Addison

Post by VikingLord »

For me, the biggest concern with Addison is his relative size. He's not very big and he didn't face a lot of press coverage in college, so there are concerns he might struggle against NFL defenders who are bigger and more physical at the line.

With that said, Addison's greatest strength is his ability to run routes and get separation. He's been described as "undefendable" when he comes out of his breaks in terms of how well and consistently he executes them, and it shows on tape. So if NFL defenders are unable to neutralize him at the line, they should struggle to neutralize him at all. And for a QB like Cousins who favors throws that are more obviously open, Addison is exactly the kind of WR you want as an offensive coordinator. Addison should rapidly gain Cousins' confidence.

The best thing about Addison is he should be ready right away. He is going to get on the field and going to make an immediate impact ala what we saw from JJ when he arrived. He was excellent value at #23 and while he isn't going to be a dominant matchup nightmare for a pro defense, when coupled with the other receivers the Vikings have, the combined effect of all of them should create real problems for most defenses.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I saw a scouting report that said he had issues with drops at Pittsburgh. That and the slight frame/release concern me. I see him getting most of his reps in the slot this year and hopefully as he matures and fills out he can be a very solid number two. Seems like a smooth operator with great technique already.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:12 pm I saw a scouting report that said he had issues with drops at Pittsburgh. That and the slight frame/release concern me. I see him getting most of his reps in the slot this year and hopefully as he matures and fills out he can be a very solid number two. Seems like a smooth operator with great technique already.
Those drops were due to the 140+ balls thrown his way. The catch % was still really good. At USC the drops significantly dropped. Not a concern anymore, imo..
Keenan McCardell will teach him to get off the line also, but I expect a lot of motion.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I'm expecting him to be good. His draft profile is almost identical to Justin Jefferson's.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Was seeing Devante Smith or...Mr. Diggs.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:23 pm I'm expecting him to be good. His draft profile is almost identical to Justin Jefferson's.
Jefferson is 2 inches taller, has 2 inch longer arms, weighed 29 pounds more, and was faster. I think they should have drafted Joey Porter Jr. I'm fine with being wrong though.
mael·strom

VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:19 pm
VikingsVictorious wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:23 pm I'm expecting him to be good. His draft profile is almost identical to Justin Jefferson's.
Jefferson is 2 inches taller, has 2 inch longer arms, weighed 29 pounds more, and was faster. I think they should have drafted Joey Porter Jr. I'm fine with being wrong though.
All true, I was looking at it more from a route running and separation perspective.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:48 am

All true, I was looking at it more from a route running and separation perspective.
Yeah outside of measurables he sounds very similar. As long as he can be a legitimate threat and make teams pay for doubling JJ I'll be happy.
mael·strom

allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

Might be a little nit picky but I’d say Addison is just as quick. Addison ran a 4.49 and jj ran a 4.43, they are definitely in the same realm of speed and with times that close it wouldn’t surprise if Addison could beat him on another day.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

allday1991 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:08 am

Might be a little nit picky but I’d say Addison is just as quick. Addison ran a 4.49 and jj ran a 4.43, they are definitely in the same realm of speed and with times that close it wouldn’t surprise if Addison could beat him on another day.
He might but then again he should when you consider he weighs so much less.
mael·strom

makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

From 10 best scheme fits @ athetic.

7. Jordan Addison, WR, Minnesota Vikings
Play Style: Nuanced route runner with subpar physical traits

Scheme: Variation of McVay’s outside zone/West Coast system

The biggest concern with Addison is whether he’ll be able to win against more physical corners when they press him. He has a slight frame, and if corners get their hands on him, he’ll have a hard time releasing. But in Kevin O’Connell’s offense, he’ll have the benefit of playing in a lot of condensed formations, so defenses will press him a lot less. O’Connell’s offense is derived from McVay’s, so there are a ton of option routes and return routes that require receivers who can efficiently get in and out of breaks.

Kupp and Robert Woods thrived together for years in this system. Justin Jefferson fills the Kupp role as a big slot, and Addison will fill the Woods role. Jefferson is the best receiver in football, but the Vikings needed to find a dependable complement to him. They thought Adam Theilen could be that guy last season, but he’s on the wrong side of 30 and ranked 151st out of 159 qualified receivers in separation, which is a score Telemetry Sports derives from microchip data from Next Gen Stats. Though Addison needs to add weight and increase his play strength, he displayed the route-running prowess to make an instant impact in the Vikings’ offense, especially with Jefferson demanding so much attention from opposing defenses.

https://theathletic.com/4470950/2023/05 ... ed-article

Makes a lot of sense what they sought in Addison. Hopefully his ability to gain separation during breaks on his routes will transition to the nfl. For lack of a better term...getting open late out of a break..can be sneaky good. Skilled route running can make up for lack of physical traits. Some very gifted athletes at wr never learn to run routes.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Addison wants to be the #1 WR, wich wont be the case with JJ here. On a lot of teams I think he could be the #1 WR, time will tell. For now, im glad he is on this team. But I wonder what will happen when his 5th year option comes.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:57 pm Addison wants to be the #1 WR, wich wont be the case with JJ here. On a lot of teams I think he could be the #1 WR, time will tell. For now, im glad he is on this team. But I wonder what will happen when his 5th year option comes.
That would be a good problem to have.
mael·strom

VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 1:57 pm Addison wants to be the #1 WR, wich wont be the case with JJ here. On a lot of teams I think he could be the #1 WR, time will tell. For now, im glad he is on this team. But I wonder what will happen when his 5th year option comes.
I think most rookies probably see stars when they're drafted in the 1st round. Being the #1 at any position in the pros must be earned on the field and at practice. So if Addison sees it that way for himself, and the great players always do, then he needs to put in the work and perform on the field.

I see Addison as being a perfect complement to JJ on Sundays. JJ is the vet and more established, which means he should get the most attention from defensive coordinators. That should provide Addison plenty of opportunity to show what he can do, and if he does in the pros what he did when healthy in college, we fans are in for a real treat.

I also see Addison having to earn the trust of Cousins. Cousins has experience throwing to JJ and Osborne and TJ. He doesn't have any throwing to Addison. He undoubtedly will get plenty of chances to throw to Addison in the offseason and in training camp, but the real test will come on Sundays. Addison is known as a great route runner and separator. I have no doubt Cousins will notice whether that is a reputation that was earned. If Cousins learns he can count on Addison to be where and when he's supposed to be on a given route, he'll get a lot of balls thrown his way and a lot of chances to show what he can do when the ball is in his hands.