Live Draft Chat

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Cliff
Site Admin

Re: Live Draft Chat

Post by Cliff »

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:58 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:30 pm
Exactly. We got a 25-year-old top-5 tight end for a back-half-of-the-second-round pick. I'd say that's a win. It's like back in 2008, when we traded for Jared Allen and all the skeptics went, "We had a crappy draft."

I mean, what did some of you think was going to happen with 5 picks, including just one in the first 87?

Jordan Addison and T.J. Hockenson. That's our draft this year. Everyone else is window dressing. If somebody pans out, great.
That's a fair observation and opinion. If you look at all the later picks as just window dressing then there is no sense getting into that spot. We have been doing that for a long time and the results are in front of all of us. Sure you can find great players anywhere. HOFers were working in grocery stores. That's not a great way to approach it. I'd prefer to be closer to the top than the bottom as most would and that is why I'm pissed every time I see a trade down. Our current roster reflects the problem with that strategy. Why do you think there was the suck for luck mentality for Andrew. Of course you can say he was a bust based on where he was picked. That falls on the team for never getting an OL together. He was beaten out of the NFL. You can only take so many hits.
It's also matter of "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." in the NFL that's more like worth 10 in the bush.

There's not a prospect in the draft I'd rather have over the proven commodity that is T.J. That trade already made this a more successful draft than most.

The trading down bothers me less starting in the 3rd. I don't like it when they trade down more than a spot or two in the 1st or 2nd.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Cliff wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:22 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:58 pm
That's a fair observation and opinion. If you look at all the later picks as just window dressing then there is no sense getting into that spot. We have been doing that for a long time and the results are in front of all of us. Sure you can find great players anywhere. HOFers were working in grocery stores. That's not a great way to approach it. I'd prefer to be closer to the top than the bottom as most would and that is why I'm pissed every time I see a trade down. Our current roster reflects the problem with that strategy. Why do you think there was the suck for luck mentality for Andrew. Of course you can say he was a bust based on where he was picked. That falls on the team for never getting an OL together. He was beaten out of the NFL. You can only take so many hits.
It's also matter of "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." in the NFL that's more like worth 10 in the bush.

There's not a prospect in the draft I'd rather have over the proven commodity that is T.J. That trade already made this a more successful draft than most.

The trading down bothers me less starting in the 3rd. I don't like it when they trade down more than a spot or two in the 1st or 2nd.
Your exactly right. That was a very good trade and we didn't have to go through the development cycle. The Lions did that for us. We also missed the lower cost of a draft pick. At first look our draft looks good. No expert is giving us a big thumbs down like the Lions got for round 1. IMO it would have been nice to move up in round 3 for one of those Gs but it didn't happen. I also would have taken McKee over the QB we selected. I read the Eagles plan to development McKee for trade later on in the future. I have no problem with what they did.
kidfozzy.
Starter

Post by kidfozzy. »

Can’t imagine how much an NFL team dominated an annual NFL Draft the way Howie Roseman (PHI Eagles) has done it.
I can see at least three of their picks hitting. And they traded for D’Andre Swift.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

kidfozzy. wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:09 pm Can’t imagine how much an NFL team dominated an annual NFL Draft the way Howie Roseman (PHI Eagles) has done it.
I can see at least three of their picks hitting. And they traded for D’Andre Swift.
Totally agree. I said it upthread, they know what they're doing. The focus on the trenches too. If Swift can stay healthy, that was an absolute steal.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

RB, DeWayne McBride, UAB. Last pick.

Kid looks solid, but fumbles way too much. Sounds like talent-wise is a 3rd rounder, but has some character issues/ lack of focus.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

They must be really confident in our interior offensive line. Zero depth at guard. Wish I had that kid of faith in Ezra, Ingram, and Bradbury.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Bunter
Practice Squad

Post by Bunter »

Texas Vike wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:33 pm RB, DeWayne McBride, UAB. Last pick.

Kid looks solid, but fumbles way too much. Sounds like talent-wise is a 3rd rounder, but has some character issues/ lack of focus.
Yeah the fumbles are a problem but if they can clean that up with coaching he will be a steal. Good pick in the 7th. I give this draft a b+. Weak on defence except maybe Roy where they took him. The dbs are questionable, Hall is headshaking when they had other needs. Only a b+ because of Addison and adding in Hockinson as a second with Blackmon possibly starting.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

I would say this was a very BLAH draft. Ya ya, I know only time will tell but 2 years of this, I see a pattern. :wallbang:
Angels Wings
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Angels Wings »

I'd give the draft a solid B. Addison was a nice pick up in the first, Blackmon in the 3rd is OK I guess although I wanted Ringo, but corner was a need for the team. Taking Ward in the 4th is OK as well as any help in the secondary is needed. I guess Hall in the 5th is a flyer. If he's the next Russell Wilson, then it's OK I guess.

We'll see who they pick up in the undrafted pool...
For those with wings, fly to your dreams
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Greg Auman
@gregauman
Cincinnati linebacker Ivan Pace is signing with the Vikings as an undrafted rookie. Also played at Miami (Ohio) before finishing with the Bearcats.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Addison our first pick was something I wasn't expecting.
Any of the picks on defense I figured was influenced by Flores. He knew what he was looking for.

McBride they are saying we got a steal. He is a tough runner with good vision.

Hall seems like a pretty solid pick, from what I was reading the coaches really liked him.
That is something that we need to be doing every year. Taking a flyer on a late round QB.
Never know when your going to find that special one.
Rick couldn't pick QB's for ####. :tongue:

Not really sure where Cook is going to end up. Rumor has it trade come June.
As soon as we resigned Mattison I figured he was gone.

Draft grade B
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Undrafted free agents signed by the Vikings (https://www.vikings.com/news/undrafted- ... -nfl-draft):

OL Alan Ali, TCU
DT Calvin Avery, Illinois
ILB Abraham Beauplan, Marshall
OLB Andre Carter II, Army
OL Jacky Chen, Pace
CB C.J. Coldon, Oklahoma
ILB Wilson Huber, Cincinnati
WR Cephus Johnson, Southeastern Louisiana
WR Malik Knowles, Kansas State
ILB Ivan Pace, Jr., Cincinnati
K Jack Podlesny, Georgia
TE Ben Sims, Baylor
WR Thayer Thomas, N.C. State
CB NaJee Thompson, Georgia Southern
CB Jaylin Williams, Indiana

I highlighted 2 names on that list because I was shocked both went undrafted as I saw plenty of mocks that had both of them going as high as the 3rd round.

Carter in particular has rare length for an edge defender at 6'7". He's not very heavy (260 lbs), but he also played for Army and should be able to get into the weight room and focus on filling out his frame. He strikes me as a perfect fit for a 3-4 edge defender, especially if he can learn the position and isn't thrust into an immediate starting role. I have no idea why he went undrafted, but assuming there isn't a major red flag behind that, this guy could end up being the definition of a steal where they got him.

Pace is another player I thought would go much higher. He has an attacking mentality and play style that stands out and can cover sideline to sideline. This is a guy who should thrive under the right coaching and in the right system. As with Carter, I'm not sure why he went undrafted and hope there aren't any major red flags with Pace, but I can see this guy killing it under Flores.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I think this was a very solid draft for the Vikings. They got immediate help at WR and slot CB with the Addison and Blackmon picks, got a "switchblade" defensive back with the Ward pick (by that, I mean he can play CB or S and provide a lot of scheme flexibility). I was stunned they got Roy where they did. Roy is not just a fantastic talent, but he's also a player leader who will show up and put in the work and set an example. Roy might end up being the best value pickup in this draft for KAM. Hall has been productive in college and showed some potential. Good value where the Vikings got him as well. McBride joins a crowded RB room and I'm not sure where he fits into the overall picture. While he has some talent, I think he's the least likely of the 2023 draft picks by the Vikings to make it to opening day. I guess KOC feels you can never have enough RBs and/or they see a special teams role for him.

I'd give the Vikings an A- with this draft, especially considering some of the undrafted free agents they picked up. The players they picked were all solid value and everyone save Hall and McBride have a very good chance to get on the field and contribute this season.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

halfgiz wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:45 pm Addison our first pick was something I wasn't expecting.
Any of the picks on defense I figured was influenced by Flores. He knew what he was looking for.

McBride they are saying we got a steal. He is a tough runner with good vision.

Hall seems like a pretty solid pick, from what I was reading the coaches really liked him.
That is something that we need to be doing every year. Taking a flyer on a late round QB.
Never know when your going to find that special one.
Rick couldn't pick QB's for ####. :tongue:

Not really sure where Cook is going to end up. Rumor has it trade come June.
As soon as we resigned Mattison I figured he was gone.

Draft grade B
They talked about trade and it didn't work out. Can never be ruled out, but they drafted Achane, so no longer as much of a need obviously. — Barry Jackson (@flasportsbuzz) April 29, 2023
There was also recent talk concerning the possibility of the Dolphins signing Cook if the Minnesota Vikings chose to release the running back because of salary-cap considerations. The Vikings still have time to take that route, though it appears that the Dolphins are moving forward after their selection of running back Devon Achane on Friday.

Looks like a cut or keep. Might as well keep him at this point. What's left in the tank? Who knows. I don't even know why Matti was resigned. Will that kid we picked even see action? Make the team? How about the kid from last year. Maybe some team will lose a guy to injury which will cause a trade.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:05 pm Undrafted free agents signed by the Vikings (https://www.vikings.com/news/undrafted- ... -nfl-draft):

OL Alan Ali, TCU
DT Calvin Avery, Illinois
ILB Abraham Beauplan, Marshall
OLB Andre Carter II, Army
OL Jacky Chen, Pace
CB C.J. Coldon, Oklahoma
ILB Wilson Huber, Cincinnati
WR Cephus Johnson, Southeastern Louisiana
WR Malik Knowles, Kansas State
ILB Ivan Pace, Jr., Cincinnati
K Jack Podlesny, Georgia
TE Ben Sims, Baylor
WR Thayer Thomas, N.C. State
CB NaJee Thompson, Georgia Southern
CB Jaylin Williams, Indiana

I highlighted 2 names on that list because I was shocked both went undrafted as I saw plenty of mocks that had both of them going as high as the 3rd round.

Carter in particular has rare length for an edge defender at 6'7". He's not very heavy (260 lbs), but he also played for Army and should be able to get into the weight room and focus on filling out his frame. He strikes me as a perfect fit for a 3-4 edge defender, especially if he can learn the position and isn't thrust into an immediate starting role. I have no idea why he went undrafted, but assuming there isn't a major red flag behind that, this guy could end up being the definition of a steal where they got him.

Pace is another player I thought would go much higher. He has an attacking mentality and play style that stands out and can cover sideline to sideline. This is a guy who should thrive under the right coaching and in the right system. As with Carter, I'm not sure why he went undrafted and hope there aren't any major red flags with Pace, but I can see this guy killing it under Flores.
The Carter kid looks more like a safety than LBer. 260 is a big person but on 6'7" he looks skinny. As you pointed out he will need to hit the weight room. I'm surprised Pace went undrafted. Must be something beyond the playing ability. With Purdy playing lights out many later QBs taken. We've selected many late rounders through the decades with only Wilson and Johnson sticking out in my mind. A long time ago we selected Gino Torretta late who came from Miami (QB U) and I thought we struck gold. No luck.