Live Draft Chat

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

makila
Franchise Player

Re: Live Draft Chat

Post by makila »

Jaquelin Roy, LSU DT is our 5.7 pick. #141 overall i think it is.
cogitator
Veteran

Post by cogitator »

This might be a guy who turns into a better player than the numbers suggest due to those intangible things. His 40 yard time certainly nothing special. Here is something from nfl.com -

“He is an absolute dude. He’s the guy who people listened to on that defense. Worst-case scenario, he will be a great special teams guy.” -- Regional scout for AFC team
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

makila wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:01 pm Jaquelin Roy, LSU DT is our 5.7 pick. #141 overall i think it is.
They praised the heck out of him on ESPN telecast, saying we'll likely look back and wonder HOW the Vikings got him in the 5th.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Ward and Roy both look like solid picks.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Texas Vike wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:09 pm
makila wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:01 pm Jaquelin Roy, LSU DT is our 5.7 pick. #141 overall i think it is.
They praised the heck out of him on ESPN telecast, saying we'll likely look back and wonder HOW the Vikings got him in the 5th.
Yeah I heard parts of it, Riddick specifically. Also saw a few different draft sites have him in a 4th round ish evaluation. Sounds like we got decent value. Lot of LSU defensive players transition well to the NFL defensive game. Hoping that trend holds.

PFF's view (again, their stuff for what it's worth).

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

So @ 164, who from LSU or USC will we draft?
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

haha

I wonder if Henry to'oto'o fits into what Flores wants to do? There's two project QBs sitting there (mckee and hall).
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Jaren Hall QB BYU
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

well there we go, jaren hall...the byu qb. not surprised at all they took a stab at one.

i'm in the camp of draft a qb every few years. one will hit eventually. totally a draft throwing game if you aren't picking super high.
Bunter
Practice Squad

Post by Bunter »

makila wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:56 pm well there we go, jaren hall...the byu qb. not surprised at all they took a stab at one.

i'm in the camp of draft a qb every few years. one will hit eventually. totally a draft throwing game if you aren't picking super high.
Roy is a good pick but Hall is a big reach. 25 years old. Played in a weak division so not impressed with his stats. We already have a good back up qb so we should have looked at BPA. Missed out on Brown. A B grade at best.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

As we judge this draft let us not forget ...

Screenshot_20230429_150739.jpg
Screenshot_20230429_150739.jpg (479.69 KiB) Viewed 486 times
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

KAM likes the small guys. I bet Mullens beats him as backup QB. What a sad draft. Im seeing a pattern happening. :soap
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Cliff wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:09 pm As we judge this draft let us not forget ...

Exactly. We got a 25-year-old top-5 tight end for a back-half-of-the-second-round pick. I'd say that's a win. It's like back in 2008, when we traded for Jared Allen and all the skeptics went, "We had a crappy draft."

I mean, what did some of you think was going to happen with 5 picks, including just one in the first 87?

Jordan Addison and T.J. Hockenson. That's our draft this year. Everyone else is window dressing. If somebody pans out, great.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:30 pm
Cliff wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:09 pm As we judge this draft let us not forget ...

Exactly. We got a 25-year-old top-5 tight end for a back-half-of-the-second-round pick. I'd say that's a win. It's like back in 2008, when we traded for Jared Allen and all the skeptics went, "We had a crappy draft."

I mean, what did some of you think was going to happen with 5 picks, including just one in the first 87?

Jordan Addison and T.J. Hockenson. That's our draft this year. Everyone else is window dressing. If somebody pans out, great.
abso-freaking-lutley.

Now we wouldn't have had to use that 2nd on a TE if the 1st we had used a few seasons before panned out, that regime is gone though so it's moot now.

We got a top tier starting TE, a complimentary WR to JJ who should start day 1, and then loaded up at some defensive holes with Flores as the DC providing input on the talent evaluation. Took a flyer on a late round QB. I'm very content personally.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:30 pm

That's a fair observation and opinion. If you look at all the later picks as just window dressing then there is no sense getting into that spot. We have been doing that for a long time and the results are in front of all of us. Sure you can find great players anywhere. HOFers were working in grocery stores. That's not a great way to approach it. I'd prefer to be closer to the top than the bottom as most would and that is why I'm pissed every time I see a trade down. Our current roster reflects the problem with that strategy. Why do you think there was the suck for luck mentality for Andrew. Of course you can say he was a bust based on where he was picked. That falls on the team for never getting an OL together. He was beaten out of the NFL. You can only take so many hits.