Danielle Hunter won’t attend Vikings voluntary offseason program

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Danielle Hunter won’t attend Vikings voluntary offseason program

Post by StumpHunter »

allday1991 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:24 am Hunter and our first to move up for someone like Van Ness, thoughts? Maybe get a 3-4 in return.
I think a Van Ness level edge rusher will be there at 23 and you would be trading your only exceptional defender for a guy who more than likely never comes close to Hunter's level.
allday1991
All Pro Elite Player

Post by allday1991 »

StumpHunter wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:25 am
allday1991 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:24 am Hunter and our first to move up for someone like Van Ness, thoughts? Maybe get a 3-4 in return.
I think a Van Ness level edge rusher will be there at 23 and you would be trading your only exceptional defender for a guy who more than likely never comes close to Hunter's level.
I dunno if you rate them as college prospects Van Ness is the better player. He’s got 15 pounds on Hunter and ran the same 40 time, that’s kind of scary. I’d say he’s got every tool to be just as good as Hunter is, would be cheaper and less of an injury concern. I could see a season where Hunter gets hurt and Ness is in the convo for defensive rookie of the year. You maybe correct that there will be rushers at van ness level still available at 23# I just have a gut feeling Van Ness will be the cream of the pass rushing crop this draft.
“I remember my mistakes more than my success.” - Adrian Peterson
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Hunter reported to camp which is good on his part. Kewsi said they are working on many things. Idiot. Give the money and move him back to LDE position where he is a top level player against the run and pass. Guys like that are very hard to find.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I'd trade Hunter and sign Yannick Ngakoue. Give contract extensions to players with good attitudes who show up and give it their all. JJ and Hock should get the boost in pay.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:13 am I'd trade Hunter and sign Yannick Ngakoue. Give contract extensions to players with good attitudes who show up and give it their all. JJ and Hock should get the boost in pay.
I wonder if Yannick locker is still set up. Hunter is a player and this all falls on our GM. He's always a day late and a dollar short. Every fan knew this contract wouldn't work. Our GM sat around looking at analytical models for his last draft and maybe went on a 2nd honeymoon already and never took care of this issue. We will get nothing in a trade at this point.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:13 am I'd trade Hunter and sign Yannick Ngakoue. Give contract extensions to players with good attitudes who show up and give it their all. JJ and Hock should get the boost in pay.
JJ is going to get paid regardless of what happens with Hunter, but as for Hunter, they've almost got to work something out at this point with both sides now backed into somewhat of a corner. Hunter's greatest trade value was before the draft both for him and for Vikings. That the draft came and went without a trade suggests to me both sides wanted to work something out and were convinced they could. The fact that Hunter has reported to camp suggests at least the framework of a deal has been settled.

I'm kind of on the fence when it comes to attitude with Hunter, because while he's made statements expressing discontent, it's about the money. When he's on the field I don't seem him slacking off ever. He plays hard every down and makes the kinds of plays I expect a top defensive end to make.

I think this one is going to work itself out.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:29 pm
JJ is going to get paid regardless of what happens with Hunter, but as for Hunter, they've almost got to work something out at this point with both sides now backed into somewhat of a corner. Hunter's greatest trade value was before the draft both for him and for Vikings. That the draft came and went without a trade suggests to me both sides wanted to work something out and were convinced they could. The fact that Hunter has reported to camp suggests at least the framework of a deal has been settled.

I'm kind of on the fence when it comes to attitude with Hunter, because while he's made statements expressing discontent, it's about the money. When he's on the field I don't seem him slacking off ever. He plays hard every down and makes the kinds of plays I expect a top defensive end to make.

I think this one is going to work itself out.
Totally agree.

Hunter was top 6 in pressures last year and put up 10.5 sacks playing in a system that did anything but play to his strengths. Yet he’s slated to make roughly the same in 2023 as Harrison Phillips. Yes, he signed a 5-year, $72 million contract in 2018. That’s just over $14 million a year for a guy who has been a top-5 edge rusher every year he’s been healthy. In spite of all that, he’s never shown anything close to a bad attitude.

The Vikings have gotten a steal in Hunter for every year he’s been in the league. IMO he should be holding out, and the Vikings should pony up.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

More on the Hunter situation, especially for those who think KAM is mishandling it.

From Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated, after his early camp visit:
The Danielle Hunter situation lingers here, but the Vikings are handling it in probably as uncontentious a way as possible. They've worked to make sure they won't have to fine their star pass rusher, and they've given him options. A trade is still possible. He could be back to play the final year of his contract out, or there could be some sort of extension. Regardless, the communication has been good, and I'd say in general, from Dalvin Cook to Adam Thielen to Harrison Smith to Kendricks, O'Connell and GM Kwesi Adofo-Mensah have done a nice job of handling different discussions on these matters in a very human way. Maybe that won't win you games, but I do think, in the long run, it'll make guys feel better about playing here.
Breer is well respected in the sports journalism realm. I'll go with what he says here until I see evidence to the contrary.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

I haven't looked this up, it seems like most "hold ins" work themselves out. Just going off memory. Metcalf, Deebo, Derwin James did it last year and all resolved. Roquan Smith did with chi, he did get traded later obviously. The Pitt wr ... uhh.. Johnson did recently and contract got resolved.

I recall Jamal adams doing it and it got resolved. Sea not nyj.

It means, imho, they are having open dialogue and working to resolution. Both parties still want to work together on resolution. That's good. That's communication and likely being transparent with each other. Yes that's an assumption on my end.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Hunter for Martin?
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

cmoss84 wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:26 pm Hunter for Martin?
Nah he's 32. Not unless they throw in a 3rd.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Vikings, pass rusher Danielle Hunter agree to terms on a 1-year, $20M deal including $17M guaranteed. (via
@TomPelissero
@RapSheet
)
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

How is everyone this fine Sunday morning. The news just broke in a special Purple Daily report that Hunter signed a one year deal.

Let’s not agonize over every detail of off season personnel and contract extensions. Looking back at last offseason around this time we had a terrible backup QB situation and we were agonizing about the tight end position. By last years opener we had two serviceable backups. We made a deal part way through the season and suddenly had TJ amazing us in his first game on a short week of cramming on the Vikings playbook.

My point is that this management team and coaching staff have demonstrated that they aren’t afraid to make changes. Speaking of changes, our new DC is one of the best in the business. I think we’re in good hand and can be confident they’re aware of what they need and will do their best to constantly improve.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Resolved for the short term... worst case scenario, Hunter blows up this year and they are forced with giving a lucrative extension if they want to retain him (and he wanted to stay).

Keeps flexibility beyond this season. Understanding there is still a chance they were to trade him this year if things go poorly quick. It basically gives a new trade window for him, could get a desperate team come trade deadline time and see Hunter's trade value increase if he's playing well, willing to give more assets than currently. Should keep Hunter motivated as well for a new pay-day next year (though I don't think that's ever been an issue with him). This is likely the final year he's here.

Like it initially, haven't seen details beyond 1yr / 20m though. 17M guaranteed, no tag (franchise or transition). 3M tied to sack incentives. Don't see anything yet about no-trade or a weird cap hit in future years. Good move by the front office. I like how they've handled the veteran moves this year, with Kirk being the only one to give me pause,. I suspect we don't know much about their QB plan(s) at all though. Dalvin was odd too actually.

Opposing take...it kicks the can down the road another year and doesn't resolve anything past this year.

"Minnesota Vikings and pass-rusher Danielle Hunter have agreed to a new one-year deal that can be worth up to $20 million, a source confirmed to ESPN on Sunday.

Hunter will receive $17 million guaranteed, the source said. Hunter can earn $3 million in sack incentives, and the new agreement prohibits the Vikings from using the franchise or transition tag on him next season, a source confirmed."

Edits:
Braun and Forno have this, reading there is some dead cap next year due to previous void years.

I thought this was interesting. Hunter has void years in his contract currently. Thought that meant comp picks weren't applicable.
Last edited by makila on Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:27 pm, edited 14 times in total.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

StanM wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:00 am My point is that this management team and coaching staff have demonstrated that they aren’t afraid to make changes. Speaking of changes, our new DC is one of the best in the business. I think we’re in good hand and can be confident they’re aware of what they need and will do their best to constantly improve.
Overall so far they've shown not to be knee-jerk with their reactions and appear to be sticking to an overall scheme on how to handle the guys they wanted to move on from, and the ones they wanted to keep. I am glad they a system and they are sticking to it. Just hope their system will work in the long run. Heh.