Daniel Jeremiah draft on ESPN

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Daniel Jeremiah draft on ESPN

Post by CharVike »

Foreman44 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:55 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:17 pm
Mayfield is the sooner guy. He's still floating around somewhere. He could be our guy next year. A lot of bust players are sometimes bust based on who drafts them. If Luck went to a team that understood the importance of the OL play he might have a few SB wins. For him he left the game early because of the beatings and rehab BS. If Mahomes went to the Texans I highly doubt he would be raising SB trophies. The story would be this guy sucks what a wasted pick. Same if we picked him. A team can create a bust. We might have created a bust out of Ingram. He wasn't ready to play and shouldn't have been on the field. That could ruin him. Maybe it will turn him into an all pro. We will know week 1. Hopefully he's a stud. We need that badly.
Maybe we screwed Ponder ourselves. We signed McNabb to play and Ponder to learn from. But McNabb sucked and was 1-5 so we benched him and then Ponder was thrown into the battle. He did lead us to the playoffs in his 2nd year. Yes AP had 2000 yards which helped. Zim ball before Zim. But the wheels fell off the cart after that 10-6 season. I'll blame Samantha. He went for that win over a Viking win. Who can blame him.
True.some great QBs failedbecause they go to bad teams,

As much as I hate Green Bay....they were smart with Rogers. They had Favre no need fora QBs but drafted Rodgers to play behind Favre. We will see how well it works for love,

A reason I believe we need QBs to play behind cousins., or pray they have a plan. Hoping it’s not mayfield
I have no idea what there plan is. Looks like they are signing blocking TE on a yearly basis. Mundt and now Oliver. Ham is back in the fold. I guess 3 TE's a FB and try and pound the ball down teams throats. 2 high paid backs. JJ as the lone WR. Below is a link and what KOC said about the heavy stuff on O. The comments are funny. Getting heavy and sign Bradbury? I get the feeling that Kirk might get dealt to SF and Lance will be the future. That sounds great??? Who knows.

I like to see us use Gibbs old offense with the H Back. Maybe Clint Didier has a son who we can cycle in to play the H Back role or let Oliver handle it. Gibbs OL was the Hogs. I'll call ours the Sows for now until they get up to number 1 in the NFL and start burying the opponent. We need a big back and just get a QB who can put it up deep now and then. Nailer can be Gary Clark. The Counter Trey. That would shake the NFL.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:50 pm
Foreman44 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:55 pm

True.some great QBs failedbecause they go to bad teams,

As much as I hate Green Bay....they were smart with Rogers. They had Favre no need fora QBs but drafted Rodgers to play behind Favre. We will see how well it works for love,

A reason I believe we need QBs to play behind cousins., or pray they have a plan. Hoping it’s not mayfield
I have no idea what there plan is. Looks like they are signing blocking TE on a yearly basis. Mundt and now Oliver. Ham is back in the fold. I guess 3 TE's a FB and try and pound the ball down teams throats. 2 high paid backs. JJ as the lone WR. Below is a link and what KOC said about the heavy stuff on O. The comments are funny. Getting heavy and sign Bradbury? I get the feeling that Kirk might get dealt to SF and Lance will be the future. That sounds great??? Who knows.
I don’t know how lance would be. I like cousins, but likely his last year. Lance had to my understanding ,high expectations. But injuries held him back.It would be a gamble...might be interesting. What are the odds
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Foreman44 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:41 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:50 pm
I don’t know how lance would be. I like cousins, but likely his last year. Lance had to my understanding ,high expectations. But injuries held him back.It would be a gamble...might be interesting. What are the odds
That's what people are saying. If they are willing to dump him and a 3rd rounder for a 35 yo QB obviously they don't think much about him. I wouldn't want him. He has very limited experience at college and pro. It's a project. If you can't perform well on that team what would he do here? Not much. They can keep him. Just give us 2 3rd round comp picks. At least we get something. Supposedly they were talking at the combine. Kirk's restructure or push off into the future helps the 49ers.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

I just still can't believe our beloved had the 12th pick in the draft and turned it into a bag of trash

Will probably break my remote when a top 12-15 pick falls to 23 and the Vikes deal into round 2 picking up an extra 4 and 5.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pep2Moss wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:19 am I just still can't believe our beloved had the 12th pick in the draft and turned it into a bag of trash

Will probably break my remote when a top 12-15 pick falls to 23 and the Vikes deal into round 2 picking up an extra 4 and 5.
Dealing down is dumb as hell. The talent pool shrinks as you drop. Look no further than this roster we have. I'd prefer to be in the top 5 every year. Now you can deal a few spots down and it's not a killer. Dumbo won't deal out of round one because of the 5 year contract. That means nothing if the guy isn't a good player. If Lewis Cine-derella don't pan out and I mean a very good starter this year then his 1st trade down was a absolute failure. Year 5 will be yanked. That should get him fired. There will be guys that drop. Most experts are predicting QBs flying off the board. I seen Richarson at No 3. Who would do that is beyond me. He's a 5th rounder IMO. That should burn 3 picks right there plus a mid teens QB. Any very good pass rusher, blocking OT, top flight cover secondary players, explosive WRs ect... will be gone. Same as every year nothing new or different.
Our GM has no vision. He put himself in a bind with that stupid no trade clause for Cousins. Cousins is toast and we have zero on the bench and the draft has nothing. Of course since the haters think JJ made Cousins career then we can pick a QB off the street and JJ will turn him into a star. That's perfect and sounds easy. It don't work that way ask Mannion.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

The Vikings according to a recent KOC & KAM interview will go into the draft with a plan for each scenario. The draft is a moving target dependent on needs, value at a draft position and any trade offers. There may be some trades involved with any combination of Cook, Z Smith, Hunter or even Cousins involved. We aren’t a party to their meetings and can only speculate until the daft plays out.

The old Rolling Stones lyrics come to mind, “you can’t always get what you want…but you might get what you need”. While draft conversations can be fun I consider them uninformed speculation. I don’t follow college ball so I just let the process play out and see what we end up with.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StanM wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:08 am The Vikings according to a recent KOC & KAM interview will go into the draft with a plan for each scenario. The draft is a moving target dependent on needs, value at a draft position and any trade offers. There may be some trades involved with any combination of Cook, Z Smith, Hunter or even Cousins involved. We aren’t a party to their meetings and can only speculate until the daft plays out.

The old Rolling Stones lyrics come to mind, “you can’t always get what you want…but you might get what you need”. While draft conversations can be fun I consider them uninformed speculation. I don’t follow college ball so I just let the process play out and see what we end up with.
How about this Rolling Stones lyric "Here comes your nineteenth nervous breakdown". That's what I heard when we traded down again for nothing. Missed the best saftey/slot guy in the draft who fell to us and then reached for a guy who did nothing. Wasn't even the top backup. I fully expect another trade down for nothing and then our GM will be smiling like he reinvented the wheel. Probably take Hooker, a 5th to 6th round guy, at 31 and hope he figures out. It's more than one look and go in the pros. We don't use the run n gun we use the chuck and duck. Totally different offenses.
StanM
Veteran

Post by StanM »

CharVike wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:25 pm
StanM wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:08 am The Vikings according to a recent KOC & KAM interview will go into the draft with a plan for each scenario. The draft is a moving target dependent on needs, value at a draft position and any trade offers. There may be some trades involved with any combination of Cook, Z Smith, Hunter or even Cousins involved. We aren’t a party to their meetings and can only speculate until the daft plays out.

How about this Rolling Stones lyric "Here comes your nineteenth nervous breakdown". That's what I heard when we traded down again for nothing. Missed the best saftey/slot guy in the draft who fell to us and then reached for a guy who did nothing. Wasn't even the top backup. I fully expect another trade down for nothing and then our GM will be smiling like he reinvented the wheel. Probably take Hooker, a 5th to 6th round guy, at 31 and hope he figures out. It's more than one look and go in the pros. We don't use the run n gun we use the chuck and duck. Totally different offenses.
The Vikings almost caused a nervous breakdown a few times since they started. The 70’s were pretty intense but I don’t allow them to affect me like I did when I was younger. My sport this time of the year is Sprint Car racing and that has been pretty intense so far this season. We lost a USAC driver last week and saw a bad wreck in an IRA race a couple nights ago. I’ll start paying closer attention at draft time and when teams start prepping for the season.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StanM wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:22 am
CharVike wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:25 pm
The Vikings almost caused a nervous breakdown a few times since they started. The 70’s were pretty intense but I don’t allow them to affect me like I did when I was younger. My sport this time of the year is Sprint Car racing and that has been pretty intense so far this season. We lost a USAC driver last week and saw a bad wreck in an IRA race a couple nights ago. I’ll start paying closer attention at draft time and when teams start prepping for the season.
It don't effect me either like it did when I was younger. Older and wiser I guess. Nothing will change this year. Basicaly the same team that can't compete against the top teams. We won't get any help from the draft for this season. It will be make a move down pick some guy and hope he can contribute. Not the best plan ever.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

CharVike wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:01 am
StanM wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:22 am

It don't effect me either like it did when I was younger. Older and wiser I guess. Nothing will change this year. Basicaly the same team that can't compete against the top teams. We won't get any help from the draft for this season. It will be make a move down pick some guy and hope he can contribute. Not the best plan ever.
I remember watching drafts all day on Saturday only to have Dennis Green not pick anyone listed in my magazines in rounds 2 and 3. Was gut wrenching lol
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:09 pm And if they decide to take a swing in the 4th there might be a few sleepers at the position available there at even better risk-reward. Dark horse prospects like Max Duggan of TCU (any thoughts on Max Texas Vike?)
Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy semester!

Duggan is an incredible kid with a lot of heart, but I don't see him prospering in the NFL. If anyone caught the Big 12 final game vs. K State, you can see how much determination and leadership Duggan has. Coach Dykes made a mistake by not sneaking Duggan at the end of the game and it cost us, but even in that loss Duggan's best qualities were evident. My concern with Duggan is his arm. He's too inconsistent and inaccurate, sometimes wildly so.

[BTW, if you do watch that game, you'll notice 5' 5" RB Deuce Vaughn from K State. The dude is special. Not sure if a guy his size can be effective in the NFL, but he was incredible for KSU. ]

I want us to trade up for AR. It'll cost a ton, which is not a very Vikings thing to do, but if KOC is on board, I see a very high ceiling for Richardson and I think with the right coaching he could be a guy that changes the league. Worth the risk, IMO.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

I agree with Daniel Jeremiah. The Vikings will draft Jordan Addison WR USC in the first round.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:13 am
VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:09 pm And if they decide to take a swing in the 4th there might be a few sleepers at the position available there at even better risk-reward. Dark horse prospects like Max Duggan of TCU (any thoughts on Max Texas Vike?)

Duggan is an incredible kid with a lot of heart, but I don't see him prospering in the NFL. If anyone caught the Big 12 final game vs. K State, you can see how much determination and leadership Duggan has. Coach Dykes made a mistake by not sneaking Duggan at the end of the game and it cost us, but even in that loss Duggan's best qualities were evident. My concern with Duggan is his arm. He's too inconsistent and inaccurate, sometimes wildly so.

[BTW, if you do watch that game, you'll notice 5' 5" RB Deuce Vaughn from K State. The dude is special. Not sure if a guy his size can be effective in the NFL, but he was incredible for KSU. ]

I want us to trade up for AR. It'll cost a ton, which is not a very Vikings thing to do, but if KOC is on board, I see a very high ceiling for Richardson and I think with the right coaching he could be a guy that changes the league. Worth the risk, IMO.
No problem Texas Vike! I know you're a TCU fan and I always value the perspective that people like Kapp and you can bring to the board for players who play for college teams you guys follow.

I'm not sure if KAM will draft a RB this year. I've seen some of Vaughn's highlights and I think he could cause some serious trouble for opposing defenses. I don't know where Vaughn will be drafted but if he's still on the board in the 5th round or later I wouldn't mind if KAM took a flyer on him.

Agree on AR's ceiling. But man, can you imagine basically trading your entire draft this year for a QB who likely won't play at all this season? That would be beyond bold unless the Vikings have some player trade in the works that will net them an additional pick where they could potentially snag AR.

Personally, I don't buy that the Vikings are desperate for a QB in this upcoming draft. I know they want to move on from Cousins, but he's under contract this coming year and they've got depth behind him. I still think it's far more likely KAM will trade back for more picks in the first 4 rounds to help restock the defense and get younger rather than blow it all to trade up for a QB like AR or Levis who will require some development that may or may not happen.

This will be a fascinating draft and I suspect this year's and next year's drafts will largely determine how successful the KAM-KOC regime will be perceived over time. They'll either set themselves up for long term success by improving the overall talent pool on the team or doom the team to dig itself out of more holes by reaching for players when there is better value on the board. If they do trade up or take a QB at #23, let's all hope KAM and KOC know what they're doing.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingLord wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:51 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:13 am

No problem Texas Vike! I know you're a TCU fan and I always value the perspective that people like Kapp and you can bring to the board for players who play for college teams you guys follow.

I'm not sure if KAM will draft a RB this year. I've seen some of Vaughn's highlights and I think he could cause some serious trouble for opposing defenses. I don't know where Vaughn will be drafted but if he's still on the board in the 5th round or later I wouldn't mind if KAM took a flyer on him.

Agree on AR's ceiling. But man, can you imagine basically trading your entire draft this year for a QB who likely won't play at all this season? That would be beyond bold unless the Vikings have some player trade in the works that will net them an additional pick where they could potentially snag AR.

Personally, I don't buy that the Vikings are desperate for a QB in this upcoming draft. I know they want to move on from Cousins, but he's under contract this coming year and they've got depth behind him. I still think it's far more likely KAM will trade back for more picks in the first 4 rounds to help restock the defense and get younger rather than blow it all to trade up for a QB like AR or Levis who will require some development that may or may not happen.

This will be a fascinating draft and I suspect this year's and next year's drafts will largely determine how successful the KAM-KOC regime will be perceived over time. They'll either set themselves up for long term success by improving the overall talent pool on the team or doom the team to dig itself out of more holes by reaching for players when there is better value on the board. If they do trade up or take a QB at #23, let's all hope KAM and KOC know what they're doing.
Lots of the last mocks by the most well-known NFL gurus seem to think AR may slide down to 10-12 range. I could see justifying going up there to get him. Hooker scares me a bit, but I trust KOC more than all the experts who I've listened to the past few months, so if we were to draft him, I'd keep my mind open and for now I'd be intrigued. My instinct tells me that they would very much like to have their next QB sit behind Kirk for a year to learn, especially if that's a guy who still needs developing, like Richardson or Hooker (more recovery time than development).

Beyond the first round, I really am looking forward to seeing what we do for the D. I hope that BFlo is given lots of control to mold a D to his liking. We need it. We were atrocious on D last year. Xmas starts in 5 hours! :ripple:
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

VikingsVictorious wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:54 am I agree with Daniel Jeremiah. The Vikings will draft Jordan Addison WR USC in the first round.
I'd prefer Jay Flowers. But if we aernt going for a QB in the 1st rd, Im betting KAM trades down. I wouldnt mind Quentin myself.