Lamar Jackson

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Lamar Jackson

Post by CharVike »

The story goes on....
The NFL sent a memo to all 32 teams to warn them that the NFL Players Association informed the league that an individual named Ken Francis — who is not an NFLPA-certified agent — might be reaching out on behalf of Jackson in an attempt to persuade them to enter negotiations, according to ESPN.
NFL teams are only allowed to negotiate with NFLPA-certified agents, and can be fined $54,409 if they violate the stipulation, according to the report.
“Stop lying that man never tried to negotiate for me,” Jackson posted on Twitter.
Every con man and there brother are reaching into Lamar's pockets. This is easy pickings. Next step CFL.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:57 pm
StumpHunter wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:01 pm
They didn't...
Any team can sign him. It would cost 2 first round picks which is nothing for a young MVP winning QB. That's an easy decision. No team has shown interest. Several have already said we don't want him. The press says the Titians because they are a running team. What does that have to do with it? They can get an MVP passer. They need a passer.
We don't know what teams have shown interest for one thing, and for another, it isn't as simple as giving up 2 first round picks. Any team would have to do better than the 3 years, 133 million fully guaranteed he was offered from the Ravens and then hope the Ravens wouldn't match whatever they offered.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:05 pm He isnt the pocket passer QB that Kevin wants.
If that is what Kevin wants, he needs to be fired immediately.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:48 pm
CharVike wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:57 pm
Any team can sign him. It would cost 2 first round picks which is nothing for a young MVP winning QB. That's an easy decision. No team has shown interest. Several have already said we don't want him. The press says the Titians because they are a running team. What does that have to do with it? They can get an MVP passer. They need a passer.
We don't know what teams have shown interest for one thing, and for another, it isn't as simple as giving up 2 first round picks. Any team would have to do better than the 3 years, 133 million fully guaranteed he was offered from the Ravens and then hope the Ravens wouldn't match whatever they offered.
Your right. A smart team will know the Ravens breaking point. That's not hard to figure out if you have the right people on staff. Information flows between teams that isn't shared with the public. No different than any other business. Lamar don't have to sign anything the Ravens place in front. Even the franchise tag don't need to be signed. This is what he wanted. He could have done something else. He needs to stop whining and hit the negotiation trail. That will take every minute he has. Give it 100%. Put a no trade clause in maybe the Ravens don't allow that dump crap. These people know the rules. Void years came out of nowhere. I don't.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

StumpHunter wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:50 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:05 pm He isnt the pocket passer QB that Kevin wants.
I think a few pocket passers have been to the Super Bowl from the NFC. Let's see Foles, Jimmy G, Brady, Stafford, Goff. It looks like it has a chance to work. Not every time but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker. A bad OL like we have is a deal breaker. So if Kevin and our GM don't have a top 10 OL this year then yes they should be thrown in the garbage. Let them have the last year and bring in some people who understand what complete rebuild means. IMO it starts from the ground up. Get the trenches fixed first.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I honestly want nothing to do with Jackson. Talk about a contract that can cripple a team. Nor have I ever been sold on him. He's another Deshaun Watson that everyone drools over but he can never get it done come playoff time and get past the real top QBs. And I think Watson is even better than Jackson is. Or at least he was in his Texans days. But then you hear "well Lamar doesnt have any WRs".... yeah and neither did Pat Mahomes this year and he just won a SB.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Now Jackson has asked for a trade. The Ravens played this guy like a fiddle.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Trading for Lamar would be worse than the stupid trade the Vikings did for Walker. If the Wilfs want to continue in mediocrity, extending Cousins is the way to go,(a much better option than Lamar) esp. if the Wilfs really want a rebuild. At some point the Vikings HAVE to draft their own QB (like the Eagles and Chiefs did) that can win the division, win the NFC championship, and a SB. The Wilfs are too damn scared of going trough some lean years. You just can buy a SB winning QB. :wallbang:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Yeah, it makes no sense that KOC would be stuck on a pocket passer. First of all, KOC himself was a mobile QB. Second, look at what they've done in free agency. They took a tight end known for his blocking and re-signed Alexander Mattison. I think KOC sees what the Chiefs are doing — running a lot of heavy personnel, keeping the opposition defense in base, and taking advantage of mismatches against receivers and especially a talented receiving tight end (Kelce ... Hockenson) — and wants some of it for himself. Be very surprised if the Vikings don't run a lot of two-tight-end looks this year. I think KOC would like to be able to run RPOs, but he has a QB who is no threat to keep the ball.

Don't know if $50 million a year for Lamar Jackson is what he wants (or what I want) but if you gave him some truth serum, I think he'd like some options other than a stand-still QB.

I also agree with the take that KOC was brought in here to find the NEXT Vikings quarterback. He's got an offensive mind, and he's a former QB himself. I believe Kwesi chose him because he believes KOC can identify the right guy.

And now with the report that Kirk Cousins actually offered the Vikings a discounted contract and they turned him down — it seems apparent that KOC doesn't think Kirk is the guy.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:09 pm I honestly want nothing to do with Jackson. Talk about a contract that can cripple a team. Nor have I ever been sold on him. He's another Deshaun Watson that everyone drools over but he can never get it done come playoff time and get past the real top QBs. And I think Watson is even better than Jackson is. Or at least he was in his Texans days. But then you hear "well Lamar doesnt have any WRs".... yeah and neither did Pat Mahomes this year and he just won a SB.
Again, I'm torn. You love the athleticism, and you wonder if the Ravens' system held him back as a passer. But man, the money he wants. Ugh. I'm kind of tired of the QB taking up such a huge percentage of the salary cap (and that is NOT a blast on Kirk Cousins ... just would love to see the team be able to build a complete roster). Maybe it's just the way things are going to be going forward, but this guy wants Mahomes money. He ain't Mahomes.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Here’s another possibility — a tag-and-trade for Jackson.

Jackson has been franchise tagged. He could, theoretically, sign his tag with the Ravens, then be traded. Then there would be no mandatory two first-round picks in return.

Let’s face it …. nobody is going to sign Jackson to an offer sheet. The Ravens will eventually get tired of the situation and be motivated to make a deal. What if the Vikings offered Cousins and a first? The Ravens would get a Pro Bowl quarterback for $10 million. The Vikings could then do a back-loaded extension for Jackson to take some cap pain away from 2023 and 2024. Cousins would be going to a contender, and he knows he’s done in Minnesota — maybe he’d sign off on the trade.

Just spitballing. I just seriously doubt anyone is going to make Jackson an offer on the non-exclusive tag. It would simply be too expensive, both in dollars and in draft picks. Maybe the Vikings will pull the trigger.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:50 pm

Yeah, it makes no sense that KOC would be stuck on a pocket passer. First of all, KOC himself was a mobile QB. Second, look at what they've done in free agency. They took a tight end known for his blocking and re-signed Alexander Mattison. I think KOC sees what the Chiefs are doing — running a lot of heavy personnel, keeping the opposition defense in base, and taking advantage of mismatches against receivers and especially a talented receiving tight end (Kelce ... Hockenson) — and wants some of it for himself. Be very surprised if the Vikings don't run a lot of two-tight-end looks this year. I think KOC would like to be able to run RPOs, but he has a QB who is no threat to keep the ball.

Don't know if $50 million a year for Lamar Jackson is what he wants (or what I want) but if you gave him some truth serum, I think he'd like some options other than a stand-still QB.

I also agree with the take that KOC was brought in here to find the NEXT Vikings quarterback. He's got an offensive mind, and he's a former QB himself. I believe Kwesi chose him because he believes KOC can identify the right guy.

And now with the report that Kirk Cousins actually offered the Vikings a discounted contract and they turned him down — it seems apparent that KOC doesn't think Kirk is the guy.
Once Cousins threw that 4th down check down pass to end the playoff game KOC and the rest of the NFL have no use for him. Maybe a vet backup but the no trade deal and guaranteed money eliminates that. That will be Captain Check Down's signature play for his shallow career. That's the play old men will be showing young kids in 20 years when they asked about the nickname. Almost like wrong-way Marshall's signature play.
We seem to be signing blocking TEs on a yearly basis. Mundt and now this new guy. We even recycled Ham back into the fold. The Ravens ran a power run scheme in heavy tight-end and fullback formations. We're missing the heavy inside OL guys but that can be fixed over the next 3 or 4 years. Tyler Huntley is also available and will be a cheaper option until Cousins is gone. They can experiment a little with this heavy RPO if we get blown out which is bound to happen again or if we need a change of pace. Open the roof and let the snow makers blow. Heavy RPO in a heavy snow storm. Great home field advantage. Just freeze the field so the snow sticks and doesn't melt. Use that old flame thrower they had at the Met to unfreeze the end zone so the lines are visible. Get the snowplow for FG attempts.Tell Peg to kick bare footed in the snow. That's entertainment for your dollar. That's what it's all about anyway.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

KOC at the owners meeting:
It’s clear the benefits of drafting one and having those four years of that player on the scale that allows you to build a roster around those players has been an advantage. It’s not a cliche to say that that position really defines a lot of buildings in the NFL.
I think the plan is for the Vikings draft a QB this year and start him at some point during the season to get him ready to take over for next year. I don't think Jackson is really an option in their minds, UNLESS, their guy doesn't fall to them or they can't trade up and get him. Then he might be an option in 2024 when it only costs cap space to acquire him.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I think he'll see more interest after the draft. Trading two 1st round picks gives you a lot of ammo to move up. If you're willing to do that for Jackson, you might be willing to do it for a top prospect that would be so much more cap friendly. Someone like KOC might even have an eye on grooming a young QB himself.
makila
Franchise Player

Post by makila »

Yeah that's a talking point I think is overlooked. If you are gonna a send two first for Jackson (and the contract), you can spend those same first to move up and draft a prospect if you can find a trade partner. And be on a rookie contract.