Future Viking qb?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Future Viking qb?

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:36 pm
Cliff wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:41 pm Thought this was interesting.

Vikings Trade Proposal Brings $34.1 Million QB to Minnesota

Interesting, but I'd be curious to read what Stump has to say about what the stats say about Lance since he's entered the NFL. He played sparingly in college (I think he had one complete season with 2 other seasons significantly impacted by injury) and he's continued that tradition as a pro. I also don't think he's shown anything special as a pro. He is younger than Cousins and was a first round draft pick, but beyond that I don't think he's shown very much at all to indicate even a straight up swap would make sense for either team. The article talks about the Vikings trading Cousins to a team where Cousins knows he wouldn't be the starter and the 49ers would have to pick up a huge contract for what would amount to a backup for them. The Vikings could try to swing a trade that doesn't involve Cousins, but the 49ers would likely demand a 1st round pick at a minimum and based on Lance's performances so far, that would be almost as bad as giving up what the 49ers gave up to draft him in the first place, especially with the other needs on the team. So the Vikings would then also pick up a more "reasonable" $34.1 million contract for Lance on top of the less "reasonable" contract they're already carrying for Cousins himself.

If the Vikings made this move they'd have to trade Cousins somewhere else and get back some draft capital for it to make any sense at all, and that assumes Lance can develop and won't remain so injury prone as he's been most of his career to this point.

It will be interesting to see how the Cousins situation plays out and what moves, if any, the Vikings make at that position this offseason. I suspect this won't be the year for a move at QB unless someone offered the Vikings a killer deal for Cousins and he agreed. The no-trade clause coupled with the guaranteed money pretty much rules that out in my view. I think Cousins will play out his deal this year and the Vikings will make a move at the QB position next offseason.
I think you’re probably right about Cousins. It would take a pretty wild set of circumstances to see something done this year.

Not hating on Kirk, but I still wish it could happen. I’m just tired of the merry-go-round. I love what Kwesi has been doing this offseason, the way he’s been (finally) starting to clear the books for future years. But that’s also why the Cousins restructure has me baffled. They obviously want to move on from him, even after a 13-win season, but restructuring makes his dead cap hit next year $30 million plus. I suppose with the cap projected to be $256 million next year the Vikings feel like they can afford it. But it also means we play 2023 with a lame-duck QB and 2024 with god knows who. To his credit, Cousins is unlikely to be anything but a professional this year and will work and prepare just as hard. It still sucks to know you’re starting a lame duck. The Chiefs did it in 2017 with Alex Smith, but they had already identified and drafted their next quarterback. They also did what was necessary to move up and get him. The Vikings are in no position to do that … even if they were, who are we talking? Will Levis? Yikes.

It almost feels like the competitive-rebuild Vikings are really playing for 2025. Unless they fool us all and pull a deal for Lamar Jackson … and I’m not even sure whether that would make the Vikings actual Super Bowl contenders.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:10 pm
CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:16 am Jake Haener QB Fresno State is an interesting prospect.
The 6-1, 200-pound quarterback out of Fresno State solidified himself as the best quarterback in the Senior Bowl and earned MVP honors in the all-star game. “Extremely tough and poised at the QB position. Excels off script and has a very aggressive mindset. He could be a quality NFL backup,” Draft Bible said of Haener.Feb 7, 2023.
Haener displays an above-average arm and an ability to hit all the throws an NFL offense will ask of him. He is a right-handed passer who is quick and compact-release. He is outstanding pre-snap and consistently gets the Bulldogs’ offense in the right play to combat what the define shows him. A highly-instinctive player, Haener is a rhythm passer who throws with outstanding timing and anticipation. Oftentimes he will throw the football before the receiver is out of his break and it will hit him in the hands. From draft network.
Obviously his size will hurt. 6-1 and 200 is a small guy in today's NFL especially that weight. He could get broken in half. I like the fact he got a little annoyed with people comparing him to Purdy.
If he's still there round 5 why not.
I agree. Why not draft a QB, have him as a backup, and see how he turns out. It beats having Mullens back there.
This is a lame duck season for Cousin. That means lame duck of an offense. Pick several guys and plug them in. Let them rotate with Cousins getting a few snaps in between the guys of hope. Live bullets and let the chips fall. Maybe only 3 wins and pick no 1. It's a nice way to tank. Pick Tanner McKee, this guy and some other hope player. Many feel we will be a veer team but that won't happen. Mond who could do it all would still be here. Carry 5 QBs. Now your doing it different. And get some blockers also. Don't sit still. If Ingram can't block again cut him.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:56 pm It almost feels like the competitive-rebuild Vikings are really playing for 2025. Unless they fool us all and pull a deal for Lamar Jackson … and I’m not even sure whether that would make the Vikings actual Super Bowl contenders.
I've thought about that too and see it the same as you do. They did have Mond on the roster but lost him. Mullens can fulfill the vet backup role probably as long as they need him to. Cousins is surely gone after this upcoming season unless they extend him during the upcoming season, which seems unlikely at this point. And they did shift that dead cap hit into next year, so that is money they won't have to spend on his replacement regardless of what the total cap number ends up being. I think that more or less rules out any play for a starting QB in free agency next year.

If I had to guess, I'd say KOC and KAM are going to make their move for a QB in next year's draft. They can get a prospect on a rookie deal, which makes the dead cap for Cousins more palatable. They are then free after that. Mullens can play if the guy they pick in the draft isn't ready right away. They'll also have more draft capital next year to make a move up if they need to in order to get their guy. The 2024 QB class looks deep already with several prospects who could emerge as legit NFL starters. Assuming that is the play for the Vikings, KAM is setting them up nicely.

I think the chances of the Vikings making any FA moves at QB or drafting a QB this year are pretty low. This is a very top-heavy rookie QB class and the guys after that top group all carry substantial question marks. Given the other talent that is likely to be on the board when the Vikings 1st, 3rd and 4th round picks come up, I think it would be hard to justify a QB and would strike me as a desperation move. There are QBs who I would be OK with at those spots, but none that I would be excited about, at least any more than I was excited about Mond as a prospect. And all things considered, QB isn't an immediate area of need heading into next year. Cousins is still under contract and no matter what happens he's got to play for his next deal with some team so he's going to play well.

I think KAM and KOC have a plan. Maybe for the first time in a while the Vikings brain trust is willing to go back to the drawing board and construct a team that can credibly compete for more than a first round playoff appearance. I want them to get there as fast as possible, but I recognize speed in that kind of endeavor is probably not possible. On the flip side, the Vikings heading into the 2025 season should be in a fantastic position to rapidly improve.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:24 pm
JJBreaksRecords wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:10 pm

I agree. Why not draft a QB, have him as a backup, and see how he turns out. It beats having Mullens back there.
This is a lame duck season for Cousin. That means lame duck of an offense. Pick several guys and plug them in. Let them rotate with Cousins getting a few snaps in between the guys of hope. Live bullets and let the chips fall. Maybe only 3 wins and pick no 1. It's a nice way to tank. Pick Tanner McKee, this guy and some other hope player. Many feel we will be a veer team but that won't happen. Mond who could do it all would still be here. Carry 5 QBs. Now your doing it different. And get some blockers also. Don't sit still. If Ingram can't block again cut him.
With the money they're paying Cousins, they can't just play slappies for the heck of it. They're going to play Cousins, as they should. You don't dole out $36 million for a guy to ride the bench. And the offense won't be lame duck. They'll do at least as well as last year, probably better.

The problem is that a) the schedule is no picnic, with SF, the Chargers and the Chiefs at home, Cincinnati and Philly on the road, and with 2 games against a much improved Detroit team in the division. And b) "as well as last year" probably ends, at best, with a first-round playoff loss once again (assuming they even make the playoffs). Unless Cousins suddenly develops a clutch playoff gene.

Also, you can't carry 5 quarterbacks. Not on the active roster.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:38 pm
CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:24 pm
With the money they're paying Cousins, they can't just play slappies for the heck of it. They're going to play Cousins, as they should. You don't dole out $36 million for a guy to ride the bench. And the offense won't be lame duck. They'll do at least as well as last year, probably better.

The problem is that a) the schedule is no picnic, with SF, the Chargers and the Chiefs at home, Cincinnati and Philly on the road, and with 2 games against a much improved Detroit team in the division. And b) "as well as last year" probably ends, at best, with a first-round playoff loss once again (assuming they even make the playoffs). Unless Cousins suddenly develops a clutch playoff gene.

Also, you can't carry 5 quarterbacks. Not on the active roster.
I know you can't carry 5 on the active roster. There is a thing called the practice squad. Our defense don't need to develop a clutch playoff gene? I can't remember the last time we hit the playoffs and they played clutch. Even Zim's great No 1 D folded. They did it twice but a miracle saved them the first game. Last year that Giant offensive juggernaut couldn't be stopped. You can't win like that. If we face teams with solid defensive fronts we will have big problems unless our interior OL does a 360 improvement. That's not only our passing game but the rushing attack will suffer also. I see no reason not to draft a couple guys. McKee and that Frenso ST kid work for me. Let them get some reps. That's only my thoughts. KOC will do what he feels is best. He might not even get another QB this year. He might not like any of them. Which is fine it's his team. Then it's a FA I guess.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I do not understand the Lame Duck thought?
Why would Cousins just go about business that way, he will be playing for a new contract somewhere else !!!
He is not in the final year and then retiring, he is going to want another contract and to be paid well. To get this, he has to produce. To show everyone that he is more than that end of year, playoff loss, checkdown that everyone saw! He has to show that he can carry a team. That he has what it takes to take a team to the big dance.
Might be his best year yet, because the future is uncertain
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

IIsweet wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:28 pm I do not understand the Lame Duck thought?
Why would Cousins just go about business that way, he will be playing for a new contract somewhere else !!!
He is not in the final year and then retiring, he is going to want another contract and to be paid well. To get this, he has to produce. To show everyone that he is more than that end of year, playoff loss, checkdown that everyone saw! He has to show that he can carry a team. That he has what it takes to take a team to the big dance.
Good point, he will need to play better than he ever has to get a big, fully guaranteed contract at the age of 36. He lays an egg and he will be lucky to get a 1 year fully guaranteed deal for 15 million, let alone 3 years for 120.

Looking back at the last season he was in a contract year he...had the worst season of his career. Hopefully that is just because Washington was really bad that season.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

IIsweet wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:28 pm I do not understand the Lame Duck thought?
There was an interview prior to FA and he was asked how long he will play. He said it will be one year at a time. Right now Bradbury and Matti are FA. The locker room is important. Then Bradbury and Matti were signed. Strange how he mentioned those two. IMO sure Bradbury improved but he still gets pushed backwards by better players. You can't have that. Matti has been under 4 YPC 2 straight seasons after being at 4.5 and above 2 straight. I know we have a junk OL and maybe that is why. Now Cousin wanted an extension to 2025 and the Vikings said F you. That's a lame duck if there ever was one. After that choke check down KOC might not be dealing with him. Maybe he wrote him off. He's stuck because who would want Cousins and his contract. He has a no trade clause. There's not a team out there that has a Superbowl chance that needs a vet QB. They have there guy.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:18 pm Now Cousin wanted an extension to 2025 and the Vikings said F you. That's a lame duck if there ever was one. After that choke check down KOC might not be dealing with him. Maybe he wrote him off. He's stuck because who would want Cousins and his contract. He has a no trade clause. There's not a team out there that has a Superbowl chance that needs a vet QB. They have there guy.
I doubt the contract negotiations with Cousins were that contentious or hostile. The Vikings are just ready to consider other options and prepare for the future. If Cousins were that future they'd have dealt with him. I suppose he still might be, but it looks to me like KAM is preparing for a year where the team might be absorbing a big cap hit due to Cousins contract where Cousins isn't on the team, and the only way to do that would be to find a starting QB who has a much smaller initial cap hit. That could be a vet like Mullens or even a guy like Case Keenum, but more likely KAM will make a move in the draft for a rookie who can start next year. I don't see him making that move in this upcoming draft as I just don't think things line up well, but I could easily see him make it in next year's draft where the Vikings will likely start with a 1st round pick in the 10-15 range and have some ability to trade up if necessary.

We'll see how it plays out but like IISweet I'm not worried at all about Cousins' performance this upcoming season. He obviously wants to play for a few more years and wants to get paid by someone. To get the contract he wants from that someone (even if that were the Vikings) he's going to have to earn it, so he'll play hard.

You also never know how pre-season injuries will play out. If a team suffers an unfortunate turn of events at QB before the season starts there might be an opportunity for both the Vikings and Cousins that neither would want to pass on (no pun intended) ala what happened with the Vikings when Teddy went down and Spielman made a trade to get Bradford from the Eagles.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:46 pm
CharVike wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:18 pm Now Cousin wanted an extension to 2025 and the Vikings said F you. That's a lame duck if there ever was one. After that choke check down KOC might not be dealing with him. Maybe he wrote him off. He's stuck because who would want Cousins and his contract. He has a no trade clause. There's not a team out there that has a Superbowl chance that needs a vet QB. They have there guy.
I doubt the contract negotiations with Cousins were that contentious or hostile. The Vikings are just ready to consider other options and prepare for the future. If Cousins were that future they'd have dealt with him. I suppose he still might be, but it looks to me like KAM is preparing for a year where the team might be absorbing a big cap hit due to Cousins contract where Cousins isn't on the team, and the only way to do that would be to find a starting QB who has a much smaller initial cap hit. That could be a vet like Mullens or even a guy like Case Keenum, but more likely KAM will make a move in the draft for a rookie who can start next year. I don't see him making that move in this upcoming draft as I just don't think things line up well, but I could easily see him make it in next year's draft where the Vikings will likely start with a 1st round pick in the 10-15 range and have some ability to trade up if necessary.

We'll see how it plays out but like IISweet I'm not worried at all about Cousins' performance this upcoming season. He obviously wants to play for a few more years and wants to get paid by someone. To get the contract he wants from that someone (even if that were the Vikings) he's going to have to earn it, so he'll play hard.

You also never know how pre-season injuries will play out. If a team suffers an unfortunate turn of events at QB before the season starts there might be an opportunity for both the Vikings and Cousins that neither would want to pass on (no pun intended) ala what happened with the Vikings when Teddy went down and Spielman made a trade to get Bradford from the Eagles.
Lame duck was probably wrong. You guys are right he'll play hard. He's played every game except one. A player won't turn that off. He could retire after this year. I get the impression that he likes the area of the country he's at. Thus the no trade clause. It's still a long way off until this gets settled. I'm tired of all the talk about QB. We have big time needs at other spots. If you don't have a solid all around team and you play well in the postseason you have very little chance. The 49ers can plug almost any guy in there. Of course they can't get out of the playoffs. Just like Dallas. It seems every year a team jumps up from the NFC. I wonder who this year. Nothing jumps out. Maybe Saints if Carr plays well. One last thing I'm tired of the flipping of QBs. That hasn't worked and we have been doing it forever.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:20 am
VikingLord wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:46 pm

Lame duck was probably wrong. You guys are right he'll play hard. He's played every game except one. A player won't turn that off. He could retire after this year. I get the impression that he likes the area of the country he's at. Thus the no trade clause. It's still a long way off until this gets settled. I'm tired of all the talk about QB. We have big time needs at other spots. If you don't have a solid all around team and you play well in the postseason you have very little chance. The 49ers can plug almost any guy in there. Of course they can't get out of the playoffs. Just like Dallas. It seems every year a team jumps up from the NFC. I wonder who this year. Nothing jumps out. Maybe Saints if Carr plays well. One last thing I'm tired of the flipping of QBs. That hasn't worked and we have been doing it forever.
If I hear it right we have cousins 3 more yrs at 40 mil. I guess there are bigger needs than QB... with limited draft picks this yr. Maybe 2023/24 would be better. Giving a young rookie 1-2 yrs under cousins. But I am not the expert of many here. My 2 cents....
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Foreman44 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:45 pm
CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:20 am
If I hear it right we have cousins 3 more yrs at 40 mil. I guess there are bigger needs than QB... with limited draft picks this yr. Maybe 2023/24 would be better. Giving a young rookie 1-2 yrs under cousins. But I am not the expert of many here. My 2 cents....
No Cousins has one year left. Supposedly he wanted 3 more years and we said no. The QB hunt is on and it's anybodies guess as to what they will do. Regardless we have plenty of needs. We'll see how our GM drafts. Year one wasn't great so far. One starter, Ingram, and he was worthless. Hopefully he steps forward or that hole will be there 3 more seasons. We've all seen that act over and over the last few decades.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:00 pm
Foreman44 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:45 pm

No Cousins has one year left. Supposedly he wanted 3 more years and we said no. The QB hunt is on and it's anybodies guess as to what they will do. Regardless we have plenty of needs. We'll see how our GM drafts. Year one wasn't great so far. One starter, Ingram, and he was worthless. Hopefully he steps forward or that hole will be there 3 more seasons. We've all seen that act over and over the last few decades.
Thanks. I read where he signed for three yrs. No wonder I wasn’t hearing more on it. I just received the answer. Thanks sorry for misinforming.

Now IMO. QB becomes a big need. No team is going nowhere without one. Sitting a yr behind cousins would be a benefit
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Foreman44 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:56 am
CharVike wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:00 pm
Thanks. I read where he signed for three yrs. No wonder I wasn’t hearing more on it. I just received the answer. Thanks sorry for misinforming.

Now IMO. QB becomes a big need. No team is going nowhere without one. Sitting a yr behind cousins would be a benefit
If you saw it yesterday, be mindful of the date :lol:
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Maybe bring this guy in. Jordan Ta'amu. He's a dual threat guy and beat out Taylor Heinicke in a competition for the Battlehawks job. He wears No 8 so captain Kirk will need to give that up and we can use No 0, which is now valid, for Kirk since that's how many chances he has left with us. At New Mexico Military Institute he completed 59 percent of his passes for 3,014 yards, 32 touchdowns and eight interceptions. He added 328 yards and seven touchdowns rushing. Ta'amu moved to Ole Miss in 2017 and as a senior He completed 63.6 percent of his passes for 3,918 yards, 19 touchdowns and eight interceptions. Ta'amu also finished second on the Rebels with six rushing touchdowns and gained 342 yards on the ground. A shot in the dark but might handle the heavy RPO if that's KOC next step.