Future Viking qb?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Foreman44
Transition Player

Re: Future Viking qb?

Post by Foreman44 »

CharVike wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:44 pm
Foreman44 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:45 pm Drafts a crap shoot. Hope you get lucky.

I understand the first rounders should be solid picks. But not always true,..Every year there are first round busts..ponder, and one I recall Dennis green picked. Mental health problem.....

No player no matter what round is guaranteed a successful NFL career

We can see the best of the best film and us experts know they are future stars... but so many guys like Mandrich?, ponder,, Leaf, Countless others
High rated stars flop.... but you find later round stars like Russell Wilson’s....wasn’t he worth a first, how about Kurt Warner, wasn’t john Randle worth a first,. Purdy of the 49ers . Mr irrelevant, starting rookie.... Was Adam Thielen worth a first rounder, he was definitely better than a free agent.

My point is. After the fact we see late round picks, mid round picks become solid, elite talents, better than many first or second rounders

There is no answer or solution to the draft. Every team spends countless dollars and hours in studies, research, film, interviews and don’t come up with seven solid picks.

If the Vikings had six picks. Picked the perfect choice for each round could have a hall of fame type draft,

A thought. How many Wide receivers went before Jj Jefferson.

I am on a rant

Closing with this. Where is the expert than can judge the right players to succeed. He would a a priceless choice.
Underwood was the guy. Nobody knows why a player succeeds or doesn't. Even the way success is measured isn't clear. I hear some say stats don't matter unless you win. So if a RB rushes for 200 yards and the team gets beat that 200 yards was worthless. So even that part isn't the same for everybody. Everybody knew Andrew Luck was pick 1 but he never made the Super Bowl. Some would call him a loser or a guy that didn't want to win. He was stuck with a crap team. If the Patriots drafted him he would have multiple SBs IMO. This year there is a QB, Richardson, who some feel could be pick 1. I'm no scout but the guy barley played and his accuracy sucks. Now a teams owner might say pick that guy so we can sell tickets. I'm sure that happens. I think Richardson is a 5th round developmental player. I'm ranting.
I couldn’t recall Underwood’s name. Figured most Viking fans would thanks.

I call the NFL draft a crap shoot.most lucky if they get 3 solid starters and a couple fill ins. (Just deleted a chunk I wrote.. It basically repeated what originally posted.i

You can run the combines, studies.etc. What you can’t judge is the heart of a player.. Why does a guy as talented as john Randle go undrafted and make the hall of fame

You stated something I didn’t think of the team.you mentioned luck if he was with N.E. He would have been to SB

QBs drafted, big named QBs like , leaf, couch , RG3 countless other busts. I guess you opened my eyes a little. Where did they go. To teams with lousy records, poor offensive lines, weak defenses. How different would it have been with N.E., 49ers,KC,Vikings

I believe it was derick Carr’s brother David. Big name drafted by Houston. Big time flop.but he broke records of getting sacked the most. Would he have made it elsewhere.i think he was gun shy at the end of his career

There is two reasons I want love to flop.

1.He plays for GB
2. Packers been set for close to 30yrs by Favre and Rodgers.
They were blessed going to good teams.

I haven’t changed my mind on how does one players heart is. Why a undrafted john Randle is better than the top 20 players over him

You opened up another side for me

Y
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Foreman44 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:47 am
Underwood was the guy. Nobody knows why a player succeeds or doesn't. Even the way success is measured isn't clear. I hear some say stats don't matter unless you win. So if a RB rushes for 200 yards and the team gets beat that 200 yards was worthless. So even that part isn't the same for everybody. Everybody knew Andrew Luck was pick 1 but he never made the Super Bowl. Some would call him a loser or a guy that didn't want to win. He was stuck with a crap team. If the Patriots drafted him he would have multiple SBs IMO. This year there is a QB, Richardson, who some feel could be pick 1. I'm no scout but the guy barley played and his accuracy sucks. Now a teams owner might say pick that guy so we can sell tickets. I'm sure that happens. I think Richardson is a 5th round developmental player. I'm ranting.
I couldn’t recall Underwood’s name. Figured most Viking fans would thanks.

I call the NFL draft a crap shoot.most lucky if they get 3 solid starters and a couple fill ins. (Just deleted a chunk I wrote.. It basically repeated what originally posted.i

You can run the combines, studies.etc. What you can’t judge is the heart of a player.. Why does a guy as talented as john Randle go undrafted and make the hall of fame

You stated something I didn’t think of the team.you mentioned luck if he was with N.E. He would have been to SB

QBs drafted, big named QBs like , leaf, couch , RG3 countless other busts. I guess you opened my eyes a little. Where did they go. To teams with lousy records, poor offensive lines, weak defenses. How different would it have been with N.E., 49ers,KC,Vikings

I believe it was derick Carr’s brother David. Big name drafted by Houston. Big time flop.but he broke records of getting sacked the most. Would he have made it elsewhere.i think he was gun shy at the end of his career

There is two reasons I want love to flop.

1.He plays for GB
2. Packers been set for close to 30yrs by Favre and Rodgers.
They were blessed going to good teams.

I haven’t changed my mind on how does one players heart is. Why a undrafted john Randle is better than the top 20 players over him

You opened up another side for me

Y
RG III got drafted because Snyder wanted the guy for the fan attraction. But his skill set never fit that current teams coaches. He was a Lamar Jackson and the coaches ran a more pocket heavy offense. It was a miss match. I don't know how guys that run and pass can play a long time. It works in college because 99 pct of those guys aren't close to NFL players. They don't move, hit, have the strength or run like pros. RG III said this about Shanahan he was put in an 'impossible situation' in 2012 because he had to play for a coach who didn't even want to draft him. He was screwed before he hit the field. To flip how a guy plays the game is basically impossible. Steve Young was the best dual threat ever. But Bill Walsh allowed him to run. He beat us with his running. The guy also suffered some big concussions but is ok I guess. KOC is from that Ram team and will follow what they did. They never looked for a dual threat guy but they did win a Super Bowl and made another. That was Stafford and Goff.
We have not drafted well in a long time. That is why we have zero depth. Ingram played every snap for us at G but he was a horrible player. That hurt the entire offense. You can't play a guy like that. It's not fair to him or the team. Now is he a go again? What if he still sucks? Teams will pick on him big time. That is why I like that monster G in the draft O'cyrus Torrence. So that will never be the pick. Our GM will force the HC to play his pick. You can't run a team like that. If the guy sucks just say you missed and move on. It's no big deal. Every GM misses. Sticking with a miss is a big deal in the wrong direction.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Pep2Moss wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:22 pm o

how would you guys feel about this?
Bold and risky, but potentially brilliant if it worked out...

Hooker would be a 1st round QB prospect if he had not suffered a severe injury right before the college season ended. I don't know where he would rank in the bigger picture of 1st round QB prospects entering this year's draft, but my best guess is he'd be off the board before pick 15 and had he done well during the pre-draft workouts and games, he might be talked about as a top 10 pick. Hooker has the physical traits most teams look for in a QB (6'3", 217 pounds) and had the college production as well (eye-popping TD-INT ratio his final two years, excellent completion %, excellent YPA average his entire college career, and performed well in pressure situations and big games against top competition, with the cherry on top being his win over Alabama). He needs some development of course, but as a prospect coming out, had he not suffered the ACL injury that will cause him to sit out his entire rookie year in the pros, he'd be a sure 1st rounder who the Vikings would have no shot at drafting.

So Hooker slides because he won't play next year and the team that drafts him can't be sure he'll be able to return to his pre-injury form. He is going to spend most of his rookie campaign rehabbing his knee and also not getting the practice reps or any on-field experience you'd ideally like a rookie QB to get.

Even with the injury and with the QB-needy teams in the top half of the draft gorging on prospects at the position in the 1st round, Hooker is very likely gone by the mid-2nd, and probably no later than the top half of the 3rd. That means if the Vikings don't take him at #23, they're unlikely to have a shot at him unless KAM trades his limited draft capital to move back up. KAM could trade down as well and try to work his way into a position to snag Hooker while not necessarily giving up his mid-round picks, but I think the best he's looking at there would be to trade back with a team like KC and maybe swap #23 for #32 and #64 and hope Hooker lasts to the end of the 2nd. And that's IF the Vikings want to take a swing because even there Hooker is a risk.

I think Hooker merits #23 based on his college career and potential, and I think the Vikings need to plan for a post-Cousins world and find a guy who can take the QB mantle and be their franchise QB. Hooker could definitely do that. The question is, what will KAM and KOC prioritize in this year's draft, and how would they feel about spending a high draft pick on a QB that might not be the same prospect he was pre-injury?

I wouldn't be upset if the Vikings called Hooker's name at #23. I would probably be nearly alone in that, but Hooker is a real talent at the QB position, and the long-term view makes it likely he'd be able to do it as a pro too, especially with good coaching and time to learn. The Vikings most urgent needs aren't at QB, but I don't look at drafts as a good way to plug immediate holes. Drafts are about finding long-term improvement and improving overall depth and talent. Hooker would do that even if it wouldn't show up on any stat sheets next season.
VikingsVictorious
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by VikingsVictorious »

Foreman44 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:45 pm Drafts a crap shoot. Hope you get lucky.

I understand the first rounders should be solid picks. But not always true,..Every year there are first round busts..ponder, and one I recall Dennis green picked. Mental health problem.....

No player no matter what round is guaranteed a successful NFL career

We can see the best of the best film and us experts know they are future stars... but so many guys like Mandrich?, ponder,, Leaf, Countless others
High rated stars flop.... but you find later round stars like Russell Wilson’s....wasn’t he worth a first, how about Kurt Warner, wasn’t john Randle worth a first,. Purdy of the 49ers . Mr irrelevant, starting rookie.... Was Adam Thielen worth a first rounder, he was definitely better than a free agent.

My point is. After the fact we see late round picks, mid round picks become solid, elite talents, better than many first or second rounders

There is no answer or solution to the draft. Every team spends countless dollars and hours in studies, research, film, interviews and don’t come up with seven solid picks.

If the Vikings had six picks. Picked the perfect choice for each round could have a hall of fame type draft,

A thought. How many Wide receivers went before Jj Jefferson.

I am on a rant

Closing with this. Where is the expert than can judge the right players to succeed. He would a a priceless choice.
Dummytreeus Driftwood.
Pep2Moss
Starter

Post by Pep2Moss »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:31 pm

Hooker would be a 1st round QB prospect if he had not suffered a severe injury right before the college season ended. I don't know where he would rank in the bigger picture of 1st round QB prospects entering this year's draft, but my best guess is he'd be off the board before pick 15 and had he done well during the pre-draft workouts and games, he might be talked about as a top 10 pick. Hooker has the physical traits most teams look for in a QB (6'3", 217 pounds) and had the college production as well (eye-popping TD-INT ratio his final two years, excellent completion %, excellent YPA average his entire college career, and performed well in pressure situations and big games against top competition, with the cherry on top being his win over Alabama). He needs some development of course, but as a prospect coming out, had he not suffered the ACL injury that will cause him to sit out his entire rookie year in the pros, he'd be a sure 1st rounder who the Vikings would have no shot at drafting.

So Hooker slides because he won't play next year and the team that drafts him can't be sure he'll be able to return to his pre-injury form. He is going to spend most of his rookie campaign rehabbing his knee and also not getting the practice reps or any on-field experience you'd ideally like a rookie QB to get.

Even with the injury and with the QB-needy teams in the top half of the draft gorging on prospects at the position in the 1st round, Hooker is very likely gone by the mid-2nd, and probably no later than the top half of the 3rd. That means if the Vikings don't take him at #23, they're unlikely to have a shot at him unless KAM trades his limited draft capital to move back up. KAM could trade down as well and try to work his way into a position to snag Hooker while not necessarily giving up his mid-round picks, but I think the best he's looking at there would be to trade back with a team like KC and maybe swap #23 for #32 and #64 and hope Hooker lasts to the end of the 2nd. And that's IF the Vikings want to take a swing because even there Hooker is a risk.

I think Hooker merits #23 based on his college career and potential, and I think the Vikings need to plan for a post-Cousins world and find a guy who can take the QB mantle and be their franchise QB. Hooker could definitely do that. The question is, what will KAM and KOC prioritize in this year's draft, and how would they feel about spending a high draft pick on a QB that might not be the same prospect he was pre-injury?

I wouldn't be upset if the Vikings called Hooker's name at #23. I would probably be nearly alone in that, but Hooker is a real talent at the QB position, and the long-term view makes it likely he'd be able to do it as a pro too, especially with good coaching and time to learn. The Vikings most urgent needs aren't at QB, but I don't look at drafts as a good way to plug immediate holes. Drafts are about finding long-term improvement and improving overall depth and talent. Hooker would do that even if it wouldn't show up on any stat sheets next season.
Thank you for the fantastic reply. He would redshirt anyways so it might be a good way to add a QB without Cousins looking over his shoulder and the press harping on it. They could deal down and pick up 2 2's maybe and do it.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:31 pm

One thing our GM has preached is smart players. Hooker is currently working on his masters degree so he's a smart guy. Hooker gets knocked for the offense he played in and that will hurt him. He never showed going through progressions and his accuracy suffers when throwing out side the numbers. In the middle he's great. His offense would split the defense wide, fast tempo and was some type of veer option. Some call it a gimmick. I watched him against Georgia and he didn't show much. He was asked about going through progressions and he said his 1st guy was usually open so he made the throw. He had a bunch of 60 point games against zero competition. No sense in even looking at those crap games because it was a live practice. I don't see KOC going after this guy. Just look at that Ram team. It's not an RPO offense and they don't ask the QB to move much. Stafford took them to a Super Bowl win and Goff took them to the bowl. Coaches don't go away from what took them to a SB win. IMO there is no sense in even looking at a QB at this point in time unless CJ Stroud drops then pick him. He's not dropping. Hooker will be there in round 3 but I'd prefer an interior OL player and there is depth in this years draft. We can't continue to stumble along with a weak interior OL.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

CharVike wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:52 am One thing our GM has preached is smart players. Hooker is currently working on his masters degree so he's a smart guy. Hooker gets knocked for the offense he played in and that will hurt him. He never showed going through progressions and his accuracy suffers when throwing out side the numbers. In the middle he's great. His offense would split the defense wide, fast tempo and was some type of veer option. Some call it a gimmick. I watched him against Georgia and he didn't show much. He was asked about going through progressions and he said his 1st guy was usually open so he made the throw. He had a bunch of 60 point games against zero competition. No sense in even looking at those crap games because it was a live practice. I don't see KOC going after this guy. Just look at that Ram team. It's not an RPO offense and they don't ask the QB to move much. Stafford took them to a Super Bowl win and Goff took them to the bowl. Coaches don't go away from what took them to a SB win. IMO there is no sense in even looking at a QB at this point in time unless CJ Stroud drops then pick him. He's not dropping. Hooker will be there in round 3 but I'd prefer an interior OL player and there is depth in this years draft. We can't continue to stumble along with a weak interior OL.
Well, Hooker did lead Tennessee to wins over Alabama, LSU and Florida, so it's hard to say he just beat crap teams with a gimmick offense. Here are his stats from those games this last year:

Florida - 22 completions out of 28 attempts for 349 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 78.6% completion, 15.9 yards per completion, Tennessee won this game 38-33
@LSU - 17 completions out of 27 attempts for 239 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 63% completion, 14.1 yards per completion, Tennessee won this game 40-13
Alabama - 21 completions of of 30 attempts for 385 yards, 5 TDs, 1 INT, 70% completion, 18.3 yards per completion, Tennessee won this game 52-49

Note these 3 games were sequential, so Hooker put up those stats against tough opponents 3 straight weeks. You can maybe discount one performance like that or even 2, but it's hard to discount 3 of them, especially in the context of the entirety of his stats from his last two college seasons which were consistent with these kinds of performances. You mention the Georgia game. That was arguably his worst performance of the year, so if that is the only game you saw of his I can understand the impression you have. It's just that was not his typical game by a long shot.

All I can say is Hooker doesn't strike me as a Tebow or a Manziel or other one-trick pony QB or the product of a gimmick offense. For this QB class in particular, I'd put him up with any of the top names coming out this year if he were healthy. Not to say his game is flawless or he doesn't need to develop - I think he does need to develop, and more importantly, I think he actually can develop further. He's not just an athlete who throws the ball from what I've seen.

I trust a former pro QB like KOC to be best positioned to assess any prospective QB coming out this year. If he likes Hooker and thinks he can develop him, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Vikings take a flyer on him even in the 1st round. I don't think KAM and KOC want to go with Cousins beyond this upcoming season, so I think they have a window of next year's draft at the latest to go after a young QB from the draft to develop. If they want to start that this year, Hooker would be a likely candidate.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:42 pm
CharVike wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:52 am One thing our GM has preached is smart players. Hooker is currently working on his masters degree so he's a smart guy. Hooker gets knocked for the offense he played in and that will hurt him. He never showed going through progressions and his accuracy suffers when throwing out side the numbers. In the middle he's great. His offense would split the defense wide, fast tempo and was some type of veer option. Some call it a gimmick. I watched him against Georgia and he didn't show much. He was asked about going through progressions and he said his 1st guy was usually open so he made the throw. He had a bunch of 60 point games against zero competition. No sense in even looking at those crap games because it was a live practice. I don't see KOC going after this guy. Just look at that Ram team. It's not an RPO offense and they don't ask the QB to move much. Stafford took them to a Super Bowl win and Goff took them to the bowl. Coaches don't go away from what took them to a SB win. IMO there is no sense in even looking at a QB at this point in time unless CJ Stroud drops then pick him. He's not dropping. Hooker will be there in round 3 but I'd prefer an interior OL player and there is depth in this years draft. We can't continue to stumble along with a weak interior OL.
Well, Hooker did lead Tennessee to wins over Alabama, LSU and Florida, so it's hard to say he just beat crap teams with a gimmick offense. Here are his stats from those games this last year:

Florida - 22 completions out of 28 attempts for 349 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 78.6% completion, 15.9 yards per completion, Tennessee won this game 38-33
@LSU - 17 completions out of 27 attempts for 239 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs, 63% completion, 14.1 yards per completion, Tennessee won this game 40-13
Alabama - 21 completions of of 30 attempts for 385 yards, 5 TDs, 1 INT, 70% completion, 18.3 yards per completion, Tennessee won this game 52-49

Note these 3 games were sequential, so Hooker put up those stats against tough opponents 3 straight weeks. You can maybe discount one performance like that or even 2, but it's hard to discount 3 of them, especially in the context of the entirety of his stats from his last two college seasons which were consistent with these kinds of performances. You mention the Georgia game. That was arguably his worst performance of the year, so if that is the only game you saw of his I can understand the impression you have. It's just that was not his typical game by a long shot.

All I can say is Hooker doesn't strike me as a Tebow or a Manziel or other one-trick pony QB or the product of a gimmick offense. For this QB class in particular, I'd put him up with any of the top names coming out this year if he were healthy. Not to say his game is flawless or he doesn't need to develop - I think he does need to develop, and more importantly, I think he actually can develop further. He's not just an athlete who throws the ball from what I've seen.

I trust a former pro QB like KOC to be best positioned to assess any prospective QB coming out this year. If he likes Hooker and thinks he can develop him, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Vikings take a flyer on him even in the 1st round. I don't think KAM and KOC want to go with Cousins beyond this upcoming season, so I think they have a window of next year's draft at the latest to go after a young QB from the draft to develop. If they want to start that this year, Hooker would be a likely candidate.
It will be interesting to see the guy they pick. It could be Hooker. Their legacy will depend on that position. If they miss that will be years wasted. Every prospect has negatives. Hooker has the brain and physical tool set. It will take any prospect time to fit into the pro game and the offense. None of us know what they will look for. We do know Mond couldn't make the cut and they extended Cousins. That don't say much. If they leave this OL as is whoever gets tossed in there will be in big trouble. The curve becomes much steeper. They could go vet. It would stir up the faithful but could you imagine Stafford as a bridge. Super Bowl winner and knows the O. That would suck. You never know. Could be the backup they traded for.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Looking at these prospects in the draft and this class seems to be very weak. They have Young projected as going number 2. This guy is 5' 10" and barley 200 ILBs. I don't see him holding up. I saw a clip with him talking to Speilman and yes Speilman has good size but Young's arms were like 1/3 the size. It looked funny. Tark had some issues a long long time ago because he was basically the same height. He will need to throw between people. It's hard enough to throw an accurate ball without having to worry about getting it past the LOS first. Outside of Stroud I don't see a guy I would spend a 1st rounder on or even a 2nd rounder. Richardson a little over 300 college attempts. Give me a break. That's a long term development guy. How he can go before round 5 is beyond me. I know the draft is a crap shoot but you at least have to give yourself a legit shot. This draft has some deep positions. QB isn't one of them and neither is WR. However I do think there may be 1 or 2 QB who are being overlooked by the press because they don't have the wow factor.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Thought this was interesting.

Vikings Trade Proposal Brings $34.1 Million QB to Minnesota
A young quarterback looks to be out of a job in the NFC West, which affords the Minnesota Vikings a chance to swoop in and begin building for the future.

The Vikings are looking for a long-term answer under center after rejecting a three-year extension proposal from the camp of current signal-caller Kirk Cousins last week. Former No. 3 overall pick and San Francisco 49ers backup Trey Lance could be that answer after his general manager made it clear that last year’s “Mr. Irrelevant” is in line to claim the starting spot in the Bay Area after Jimmy Garoppolo left town for the Las Vegas Raiders.
The emergence of Purdy makes Lance expendable, despite the haul the Niners gave up to acquire him just two years ago (two first-round picks and a third-round selection). Lance has one more year of experience than Purdy in the NFL, but has proven significantly less in his two seasons than Purdy did at the end of his first by leading the Niners to within one win of the Super Bowl.

It doesn’t make financial sense for the Niners to carry both players on the roster, especially when the backup is making far more money than the starter. Lance signed a four-year deal worth $34.1 million in 2021, while the entirety of Purdy’s deal pays him just $3.73 million. A fifth-year team option for Lance, which San Francisco will need to decide on by next offseason, will also cost the franchise north of $20 million.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Cliff wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:41 pm Thought this was interesting.

A young quarterback looks to be out of a job in the NFC West, which affords the Minnesota Vikings a chance to swoop in and begin building for the future.

The Vikings are looking for a long-term answer under center after rejecting a three-year extension proposal from the camp of current signal-caller Kirk Cousins last week. Former No. 3 overall pick and San Francisco 49ers backup Trey Lance could be that answer after his general manager made it clear that last year’s “Mr. Irrelevant” is in line to claim the starting spot in the Bay Area after Jimmy Garoppolo left town for the Las Vegas Raiders.
The emergence of Purdy makes Lance expendable, despite the haul the Niners gave up to acquire him just two years ago (two first-round picks and a third-round selection). Lance has one more year of experience than Purdy in the NFL, but has proven significantly less in his two seasons than Purdy did at the end of his first by leading the Niners to within one win of the Super Bowl.

It doesn’t make financial sense for the Niners to carry both players on the roster, especially when the backup is making far more money than the starter. Lance signed a four-year deal worth $34.1 million in 2021, while the entirety of Purdy’s deal pays him just $3.73 million. A fifth-year team option for Lance, which San Francisco will need to decide on by next offseason, will also cost the franchise north of $20 million.
Interesting, but I'd be curious to read what Stump has to say about what the stats say about Lance since he's entered the NFL. He played sparingly in college (I think he had one complete season with 2 other seasons significantly impacted by injury) and he's continued that tradition as a pro. I also don't think he's shown anything special as a pro. He is younger than Cousins and was a first round draft pick, but beyond that I don't think he's shown very much at all to indicate even a straight up swap would make sense for either team. The article talks about the Vikings trading Cousins to a team where Cousins knows he wouldn't be the starter and the 49ers would have to pick up a huge contract for what would amount to a backup for them. The Vikings could try to swing a trade that doesn't involve Cousins, but the 49ers would likely demand a 1st round pick at a minimum and based on Lance's performances so far, that would be almost as bad as giving up what the 49ers gave up to draft him in the first place, especially with the other needs on the team. So the Vikings would then also pick up a more "reasonable" $34.1 million contract for Lance on top of the less "reasonable" contract they're already carrying for Cousins himself.

If the Vikings made this move they'd have to trade Cousins somewhere else and get back some draft capital for it to make any sense at all, and that assumes Lance can develop and won't remain so injury prone as he's been most of his career to this point.

It will be interesting to see how the Cousins situation plays out and what moves, if any, the Vikings make at that position this offseason. I suspect this won't be the year for a move at QB unless someone offered the Vikings a killer deal for Cousins and he agreed. The no-trade clause coupled with the guaranteed money pretty much rules that out in my view. I think Cousins will play out his deal this year and the Vikings will make a move at the QB position next offseason.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:36 pm
Cliff wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:41 pm Thought this was interesting.

Interesting, but I'd be curious to read what Stump has to say about what the stats say about Lance since he's entered the NFL. He played sparingly in college (I think he had one complete season with 2 other seasons significantly impacted by injury) and he's continued that tradition as a pro. I also don't think he's shown anything special as a pro. He is younger than Cousins and was a first round draft pick, but beyond that I don't think he's shown very much at all to indicate even a straight up swap would make sense for either team. The article talks about the Vikings trading Cousins to a team where Cousins knows he wouldn't be the starter and the 49ers would have to pick up a huge contract for what would amount to a backup for them. The Vikings could try to swing a trade that doesn't involve Cousins, but the 49ers would likely demand a 1st round pick at a minimum and based on Lance's performances so far, that would be almost as bad as giving up what the 49ers gave up to draft him in the first place, especially with the other needs on the team. So the Vikings would then also pick up a more "reasonable" $34.1 million contract for Lance on top of the less "reasonable" contract they're already carrying for Cousins himself.

If the Vikings made this move they'd have to trade Cousins somewhere else and get back some draft capital for it to make any sense at all, and that assumes Lance can develop and won't remain so injury prone as he's been most of his career to this point.

It will be interesting to see how the Cousins situation plays out and what moves, if any, the Vikings make at that position this offseason. I suspect this won't be the year for a move at QB unless someone offered the Vikings a killer deal for Cousins and he agreed. The no-trade clause coupled with the guaranteed money pretty much rules that out in my view. I think Cousins will play out his deal this year and the Vikings will make a move at the QB position next offseason.
Lance has very little experience in college and the pros. He played some his 1st two seasons so it's a very small sample size and it's not like he lit it up. He has a 500 record as a starter. I assume they will want a 1st rounder just to kick it off. Then additional picks in the future based on some criteria. Not much difference with him and a rookie and if you look at Lance's stats it don't look good to me. If the 49ers are garbage I could understand. But that O has some high level players at every level. We don't have to move Cousins they both can play and sit. You could almost call it a perfect situation. What's not perfect is Lance's production his 1st 2 season. That should be a tremendous concern. I'd prefer Purdy but I'm sure the 49ers will also. I only see Lance if you can get him for basically nothing upfront with future consideration. Maybe Cousins, since he's a lame duck here, will be willing to go out west and play his final season with a chance at the Super Bowl. But I think his family comes first so I'm sure that is at the top of life's concerns for him. More so than a possible Super Bowl.
StumpHunter
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by StumpHunter »

CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:45 am
VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:36 pm

Lance has very little experience in college and the pros. He played some his 1st two seasons so it's a very small sample size and it's not like he lit it up. He has a 500 record as a starter. I assume they will want a 1st rounder just to kick it off. Then additional picks in the future based on some criteria. Not much difference with him and a rookie and if you look at Lance's stats it don't look good to me. If the 49ers are garbage I could understand. But that O has some high level players at every level. We don't have to move Cousins they both can play and sit. You could almost call it a perfect situation. What's not perfect is Lance's production his 1st 2 season. That should be a tremendous concern. I'd prefer Purdy but I'm sure the 49ers will also. I only see Lance if you can get him for basically nothing upfront with future consideration. Maybe Cousins, since he's a lame duck here, will be willing to go out west and play his final season with a chance at the Super Bowl. But I think his family comes first so I'm sure that is at the top of life's concerns for him. More so than a possible Super Bowl.
Lance has three starts that didn't take place in a monsoon on one of the worst fields in the NFL. His first start, in week 5 of his rookie season, he did not play well, threw for less than 200 yards and had a passer rating of 58. He also ran for 89 yards in that game. His second start, week 16 of his rookie season, he played great and had 116 passer rating with 250 yards of passing, 2 TDs, 1 int and averaging over 10 yards per attempt. His third start that was not in a downpour, he threw 3 passes and then got hurt.

There just isn't enough to go off of to make any judgements on his stats. If he had a couple of more starts sure, but the sample size is just too small and too skewed by one bad game.

The most damning argument against Lance is not stats, it is that SF might willing to move on already. That could be that Brock Purdy is just that good, or it could be that Lance is just that bad. SF was willing to hand over the reigns of a SB caliber team to him going into the 2022 season, so I am leaning towards Purdy being that good. That is still a pretty big red flag for me though, if it is true SF would trade him that is.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Jake Haener QB Fresno State is an interesting prospect.
The 6-1, 200-pound quarterback out of Fresno State solidified himself as the best quarterback in the Senior Bowl and earned MVP honors in the all-star game. “Extremely tough and poised at the QB position. Excels off script and has a very aggressive mindset. He could be a quality NFL backup,” Draft Bible said of Haener.Feb 7, 2023.
Haener displays an above-average arm and an ability to hit all the throws an NFL offense will ask of him. He is a right-handed passer who is quick and compact-release. He is outstanding pre-snap and consistently gets the Bulldogs’ offense in the right play to combat what the define shows him. A highly-instinctive player, Haener is a rhythm passer who throws with outstanding timing and anticipation. Oftentimes he will throw the football before the receiver is out of his break and it will hit him in the hands. From draft network.
Obviously his size will hurt. 6-1 and 200 is a small guy in today's NFL especially that weight. He could get broken in half. I like the fact he got a little annoyed with people comparing him to Purdy.
If he's still there round 5 why not.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:16 am Jake Haener QB Fresno State is an interesting prospect.
The 6-1, 200-pound quarterback out of Fresno State solidified himself as the best quarterback in the Senior Bowl and earned MVP honors in the all-star game. “Extremely tough and poised at the QB position. Excels off script and has a very aggressive mindset. He could be a quality NFL backup,” Draft Bible said of Haener.Feb 7, 2023.
Haener displays an above-average arm and an ability to hit all the throws an NFL offense will ask of him. He is a right-handed passer who is quick and compact-release. He is outstanding pre-snap and consistently gets the Bulldogs’ offense in the right play to combat what the define shows him. A highly-instinctive player, Haener is a rhythm passer who throws with outstanding timing and anticipation. Oftentimes he will throw the football before the receiver is out of his break and it will hit him in the hands. From draft network.
Obviously his size will hurt. 6-1 and 200 is a small guy in today's NFL especially that weight. He could get broken in half. I like the fact he got a little annoyed with people comparing him to Purdy.
If he's still there round 5 why not.
I agree. Why not draft a QB, have him as a backup, and see how he turns out. It beats having Mullens back there.