Harrison Smith, Vikings agree on reworked contract

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Harrison Smith, Vikings agree on reworked contract

Post by CharVike »

The #Vikings and S Harrison Smith agreed to a restructured contract for him to stay in Minnesota, and he gets $8M with $2M in incentives for 2023.
1:07 PM · Mar 16, 2023
·
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Harrison Smith, Vikings agree on reworked contract

Post by IIsweet »

Yessssssssss !!!!!!!
This is awesome. looking to now either release or trade Z tomorrow and then trade Cook on draft day
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

I thought this was a total rebuild. Harrison had a great career with us and will be on the ring of honor and may make the HOF. But I think it's time to move on. We can get some young guys, Josh Metellus who started for Smith, in there and perhaps we find a guy that can play the next decade. There's safeties in this draft. Bynum played every snap last year and had some good and bad moments. That's part of developing guys. It's only his 2nd year playing the position and was a later pick to start with. He had 6 passes defensed. Do they kick him out the door or just sit and watch? At least he can move. Cine needs to start. I understand fans not wanting to see top players leave but that's the game. I hated to see Browner lose his skills and the same for another #22 HOFer Krause. Are we still in the competitive rebuild or a fully all out rebuild? Doing things half a$$ never works. Clear off the deck and move forward.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

CharVike wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:45 am I thought this was a total rebuild. Harrison had a great career with us and will be on the ring of honor and may make the HOF. But I think it's time to move on. We can get some young guys, Josh Metellus who started for Smith, in there and perhaps we find a guy that can play the next decade. There's safeties in this draft. Bynum played every snap last year and had some good and bad moments. That's part of developing guys. It's only his 2nd year playing the position and was a later pick to start with. He had 6 passes defensed. Do they kick him out the door or just sit and watch? At least he can move. Cine needs to start. I understand fans not wanting to see top players leave but that's the game. I hated to see Browner lose his skills and the same for another #22 HOFer Krause. Are we still in the competitive rebuild or a fully all out rebuild? Doing things half a$$ never works. Clear off the deck and move forward.
He took a substantial pay cut though. You need some veterans on this defense still. You cant just cut all your leadership. Harrison still has some very solid years in him. Where guys like Kendricks and Thielen did not. I'm ecstatic about this. I would love to see him and Cine starting next year and blitzing from all over the place. Flores is going to have fun with these two.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

I admire guys like Harrison. He wants to be a Viking and he wants to win and he's willing to take a pay cut to stay and try to be a part of what Flores wants to do with the defense.

While Smith is at the tail end of his career he still brings a lot to the secondary and to the team overall. I think he will do well this coming year.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

I like this because Cine missed last season. Harrison is better than Metellus and Bynum. It is a 1 year deal and fully expect Cine and ??? To be starting in 2024. 2023 though has the makings of getting a lot younger and much more athletic. Still keeping some veterans to help prevent the inexperienced mistakes.
Defense really only brings back Hicks as a 2 down LB, Hunter, Phillips, and Harrison as the QB of the Defense. In theory we could be starting
Cine, Asamoah, Evans, Booth, Murphy, Davenport, and another player. That's 7 new starters, with a vet at every level.
Harrison, Hicks, Hunter, and Phillips all have expiring contracts after 2023 also.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:31 am
CharVike wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:45 am I thought this was a total rebuild. Harrison had a great career with us and will be on the ring of honor and may make the HOF. But I think it's time to move on. We can get some young guys, Josh Metellus who started for Smith, in there and perhaps we find a guy that can play the next decade. There's safeties in this draft. Bynum played every snap last year and had some good and bad moments. That's part of developing guys. It's only his 2nd year playing the position and was a later pick to start with. He had 6 passes defensed. Do they kick him out the door or just sit and watch? At least he can move. Cine needs to start. I understand fans not wanting to see top players leave but that's the game. I hated to see Browner lose his skills and the same for another #22 HOFer Krause. Are we still in the competitive rebuild or a fully all out rebuild? Doing things half a$$ never works. Clear off the deck and move forward.
He took a substantial pay cut though. You need some veterans on this defense still. You cant just cut all your leadership. Harrison still has some very solid years in him. Where guys like Kendricks and Thielen did not. I'm ecstatic about this. I would love to see him and Cine starting next year and blitzing from all over the place. Flores is going to have fun with these two.
Smith is here and I hope he has a good year. He's one of the best we ever had. We just seem to be recycling the same guys back in. Guys contracts expire right back into the same spot. I don't see forward momentum doing that. I guess that's every team in a way. For us no cap don't help which is blamed on our 36 million QB. Cowboys have a higher cap QB and they don't have this problem. That's off track.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

This was the best move all season I think. And Smith took some kind of a pay cut, which is awesome. Maye he will continue to do so, and retire a Viking.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingLord wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:41 am I admire guys like Harrison. He wants to be a Viking and he wants to win and he's willing to take a pay cut to stay and try to be a part of what Flores wants to do with the defense.

While Smith is at the tail end of his career he still brings a lot to the secondary and to the team overall. I think he will do well this coming year.
I talk about this in the Cousins/Bradbury thread.

Smith said he wants to be a Viking for life, and his actions (i.e. accepting a pay cut) back it up. Cousins says he wants to retire a Viking, and he demands more money.

One of these things is not like the other.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:29 am
Pondering Her Percy wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:31 am

Smith is here and I hope he has a good year. He's one of the best we ever had. We just seem to be recycling the same guys back in. Guys contracts expire right back into the same spot. I don't see forward momentum doing that. I guess that's every team in a way. For us no cap don't help which is blamed on our 36 million QB. Cowboys have a higher cap QB and they don't have this problem. That's off track.
WTF are you talking about, recycling guys back in? The Vikings are doing the opposite.

Before last week, the Vikings had double-digit millions of cap space allocated to older players at non-premium positions. These include safety (Hitman), inside linebacker (Kendricks), an aging WR2 (Thielen) and running back (Cook). They’ve released Kendricks and Thielen, Hitman took a significant pay cut, and the general consensus is that Cook will be off the books as soon as they can move him. The Vikings are doing exactly what they should be doing — getting younger and cheaper. They kept Hitman — again, at a much lower salary — because Flores believes he can still play at a high level.

The Cowboys have exactly this problem, which is why they cut Ezekiel Elliott. And they’re stuck with Dak. At least the Vikings have options with Cousins after this year.

Cousins’ contract is a separate conversation. A team can have more than one cap problem. The Vikings have corrected one. The other, Cousins, will likely come to a resolution in 2024.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

So happy that Harrison is coming back, he is a shining example of what a good person is all about. It is so refreshing to see a player who isn't all about the money and will be able to one day look back and be proud of decisions he has made and the legacy that he will leave.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:53 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:29 am
WTF are you talking about, recycling guys back in? The Vikings are doing the opposite.

Before last week, the Vikings had double-digit millions of cap space allocated to older players at non-premium positions. These include safety (Hitman), inside linebacker (Kendricks), an aging WR2 (Thielen) and running back (Cook). They’ve released Kendricks and Thielen, Hitman took a significant pay cut, and the general consensus is that Cook will be off the books as soon as they can move him. The Vikings are doing exactly what they should be doing — getting younger and cheaper. They kept Hitman — again, at a much lower salary — because Flores believes he can still play at a high level.

The Cowboys have exactly this problem, which is why they cut Ezekiel Elliott. And they’re stuck with Dak. At least the Vikings have options with Cousins after this year.

Cousins’ contract is a separate conversation. A team can have more than one cap problem. The Vikings have corrected one. The other, Cousins, will likely come to a resolution in 2024.
The Cousins stuff I replied on the other thread. Bottom line he wants to be a one year guy. He's old.
Hicks back. Didn't they see enough of that slow guy. I know I did. Peg is back and I'm tired of the misses when it means a game. Even kickoffs are a problem. Holder Ole is back. Hitman. Sure. Last year he had a neck tweak, knee and needed rest. This banging around the LOS this year at his advanced age the neck tweak might be more than a tweak. He's willing to take that risk. Bradbury back. I like bigger OL players that don't get pushed into the backfield. Cousins is a big Bradbury fan. Matti back. Nice little sub player but I like home run hitters like Cook. To each there own.
Elliot was cut for more than one reason. Age, his salary is far beyond the position value and they have a young guy ready. Elliot isn't carrying that team. They have a dam good D and a good OL. Those two pieces are always needed. Bust one of them up and it's over. They keep that together.
MichaelRay82
Waterboy

Post by MichaelRay82 »

Meh

Not a fan of this old slow players get worse not better