Cousins and Bradbury

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Cousins and Bradbury

Post by IIsweet »

So Cousins restructures and saves the team $16million. However, his contract expires after the season. So no Cousins after 2023 !!!
Also, Bradbury signs a 3 year deal, $15.75m, which I personally am not a fan of. However, it is very cheap considering....
I am thrilled to finally see the end is near of Cousins. I think Kwesi is hoping to run a team of expiring contracts out there, be competitive, but go forward with a ton of cap flexibility. They will be pursuing a new QB very soon.
Last edited by IIsweet on Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Cousins and Bradbury

Post by VikingLord »

IIsweet wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:36 pm So Cousins restructures and saves the team $16million. However, his contract expires after the season. So no Cousins after 2023 !!!
Also, Bradbury signs a 3 year deal, which I personally am not a fan of.
I am thrilled to finally see the end is near of Cousins. I think Kwesi is hoping to run a team of expiring contracts out there, be competitive, but go forward with a ton of cap flexibility. They will be pursuing a new QB very soon.
I get the move, but it seems like it just pushes dead cap into future years and maybe spreads it out a bit more.

It still looks like the Vikings are entertaining an extension as well, which I am not happy about at all. Regardless of how one feels about Cousins and his ceiling as a QB, the fact remains that he has not made an appreciable impact on the overall success of the team since he joined them in 2018 now. Over five seasons he's gotten them into the playoffs twice and managed to win a single playoff game in that span. And while the defense has tailed off significantly over the last couple of seasons, the first season Cousins was a Viking he had a solid defense behind him.

Cousins might not be the question in Minnesota, but it seems evident he's not the answer either. I truly hope for everyone's sake that KAM calls the ball on this one and starts trying to find a younger QB with a little more moxie and talent who can develop under KOC into a legit impact starting QB. That guy needs to be identified and picked in one of the two upcoming drafts. It doesn't have to be forced this year as they can limp along with Mullens if necessary, but I think it is way past time to move on from Cousins. Let him play his contract out and then move on.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

IIsweet wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:36 pm So Cousins restructures and saves the team $16million. However, his contract expires after the season. So no Cousins after 2023 !!!
Also, as far as Bradbury is concerned, he's fine as a backup, but I hope that is what they see him as and they also move to find a starter at center. John Michael Schmitz of the Gophers would be a fantastic choice.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingLord wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:00 pm
Also, as far as Bradbury is concerned, he's fine as a backup, but I hope that is what they see him as and they also move to find a starter at center. John Michael Schmitz of the Gophers would be a fantastic choice.
Don't you see drafting JMS (or any other round 2-3 center) as quite unlikely now, given the fact that they made this investment in Bradbury? I'd look for them to go WR, CB or DT with their top picks now, with a trade out of 23 to gather 2nd round resources as the most likely.
JJBreaksRecords
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by JJBreaksRecords »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:35 pm

Don't you see drafting JMS (or any other round 2-3 center) as quite unlikely now, given the fact that they made this investment in Bradbury? I'd look for them to go WR, CB or DT with their top picks now, with a trade out of 23 to gather 2nd round resources as the most likely.
Sadly you are right. Even if we had to use our first pick to get JMS it would have been a much better option than giving Bradbury an extension like this. I am not liking KAM as a GM in his brief stay here so far. Not at all.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:24 pm
Texas Vike wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:35 pm

Sadly you are right. Even if we had to use our first pick to get JMS it would have been a much better option than giving Bradbury an extension like this. I am not liking KAM as a GM in his brief stay here so far. Not at all.
I like what Kwesi has done this off season a lot. If they hadn't signed Bradbury, it would be one more thing that we HAD to have from the draft. We just have too many holes. They gave Bradbury a reasonable contract that makes sense. They're finally cleaning out old crusty contracts that were overdue. We're getting younger and faster. I also think that Flores has been given plenty of control to mold his D, given he began with talent evaluation in the NFL.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

There is no chance the Vikings pay Bradbury AND draft a center like Schmitz. This is the same logic I’ve used with Cousins. You don’t extend a $36 million QB and then burn a first-round pick on a QB. That’s the Rodgers/Love scenario, and no GM in his right mind would do it. Same with a $5-million-a-year center. we all need to get used to the fact that Bradbury is the starter

Also, not so fast on the “Cousins gone after 2023” idea. It does seem likely, but word is that Cousins is still trying to get a long-term deal. If he walks after ‘23, he leaves the Vikings with a $28.5 million dead cap hit in 2024, which would be very un-Kwesi like. The Vikings would have more than $100 million in cap space before considering Cousins, so maybe they can afford it. But it could also be that the team is simply doing what’s necessary to get cap compliant by the start of the league year, with the intent of getting a long-term deal done in the near future.

Note: That’s not a commentary on what SHOULD happen, but a statement of what COULD happen … so don’t flame me. I’m fine with moving on with Cousins … but what if they have no one to replace him? Does it make sense to make the tough decisions necessary to open up $100 million in cap space, use that cap space to build up the team, then have no viable QB on the roster?

What if Rodgers flakes and retires or goes back to Green Bay? Would the Jets trade the 13th pick for Cousins as Plan B? They wanted him 5 years ago. Could the Vikings then use the Jets’ pick at 13 and their own at 23 to trade up and get one of the top 4 QBs? I just feel like something else is coming with Cousins.

EDIT: Jets signed Rodgers buddy Allen Lazard, so it’s looking like Erin will land in the Big Apple. I hope the New York press eats him alive.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:16 pm

There is no chance the Vikings pay Bradbury AND draft a center like Schmitz. This is the same logic I’ve used with Cousins. You don’t extend a $36 million QB and then burn a first-round pick on a QB. That’s the Rodgers/Love scenario, and no GM in his right mind would do it. Same with a $5-million-a-year center. we all need to get used to the fact that Bradbury is the starter

Also, not so fast on the “Cousins gone after 2023” idea. It does seem likely, but word is that Cousins is still trying to get a long-term deal. If he walks after ‘23, he leaves the Vikings with a $28.5 million dead cap hit in 2024, which would be very un-Kwesi like. The Vikings would have more than $100 million in cap space before considering Cousins, so maybe they can afford it. But it could also be that the team is simply doing what’s necessary to get cap compliant by the start of the league year, with the intent of getting a long-term deal done in the near future.

Note: That’s not a commentary on what SHOULD happen, but a statement of what COULD happen … so don’t flame me. I’m fine with moving on with Cousins … but what if they have no one to replace him? Does it make sense to make the tough decisions necessary to open up $100 million in cap space, use that cap space to build up the team, then have no viable QB on the roster?

What if Rodgers flakes and retires or goes back to Green Bay? Would the Jets trade the 13th pick for Cousins as Plan B? They wanted him 5 years ago. Could the Vikings then use the Jets’ pick at 13 and their own at 23 to trade up and get one of the top 4 QBs? I just feel like something else is coming with Cousins.

EDIT: Jets signed Rodgers buddy Allen Lazard, so it’s looking like Erin will land in the Big Apple. I hope the New York press eats him alive.
Cousins has a no trade clause contract. He would have to agree. Jets have as much a chance as us to make the SB so there isn't no benefit for him. He took less from us before. I thought the 49ers would come after him. They don't need a guy to lift them up but they need a healthy body. Cousins suites it up week in and week out. IMO seems almost a perfect fit for them. He's able to get the ball to JJ so I'm sure he'll do the same with there weapons. Plus that back that have is dam good in the pass game. 49ers have a bunch of 3rd round picks they could unload and not even feel it.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

If they scout a guy that they see as a top level center then he should be picked. He can sit for a year and get the mental side from Bradbury and get up to speed. PFF had Bradbury rated high but I don't think many NFL teams do. If they did he would have flew off the FA board quickly. I don't think too many teams were knocking. He lacks the strength and base to hold the point against the better players. That's been the problem from day 1.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Texas Vike wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:35 pm Don't you see drafting JMS (or any other round 2-3 center) as quite unlikely now, given the fact that they made this investment in Bradbury? I'd look for them to go WR, CB or DT with their top picks now, with a trade out of 23 to gather 2nd round resources as the most likely.
It probably does decrease the likelihood of the Vikings investing at center in the upper rounds of the draft.

With that said, Bradbury's contract is pretty moderate (I think it averages about $5.25 million per year, which by comparison to other centers ranks his salary 15th out of 56 centers - see https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/center/ for reference). I think that excludes the possibility that they need to sign a vet center in FA, but doesn't completely rule out them drafting one in the first four rounds. I'd say the odds of them drafting a center also goes up if KAM trades back into the 2nd and gets an additional late 2nd or early 3rd rounder.

I do think it is safe to say KOC thinks he can work with Bradbury's skillset and doesn't see him as a liability. I'm not a big fan of Bradbury by a longshot, especially with a pocket passing QB like Cousins, but they can probably win with him.
Foreman44
Transition Player

Post by Foreman44 »

I understand I am not the greatest expert on expressing my point. Joekapp I envy you with your knowledge and writing ability. Others on here as well.a subject I had no interest in school and regret today.

I understand Cousins is a big cap hit, Money saved today will hurt us later...I guess my question is. What do we do at QB. IS cousins going to be here 3-4 more yrs. if so this isn’t as critical.....But if this what next. Rent a has been a yr or two. IMO....we should draft a QBs yearly. QBs in the draft are a big gamble. How many are great prospects in college. Look like the for sure deal. Then flop.

Here is list of busts. We have all seen them
The link didn’t come up

This yr we have Bryce young who I love. Stroud, QBs from Florida, Tenn. all are excellent college QBs,, The odds are who will will not reach expectations

If this is Cousins last year. Where do we go. Is our back up going to carry us next yr. do we go the has been locker? IMO. Many may disagree. But I think a team should draft a QB yearly hoping to find a star....I know we did this last yr or so. GB gave a first for Love 3-4 yrs ago with Rogers on board awhile. Did the same with Favre with Rodgers...

Without a quality QB we are going no where. Look at the complaints towards cousins and his offensive stats

Hey if this is messed up. I will blame it on a fall. Fell hard on pavement Walking my dog. I hit my forehead hard, broke my nose, face all scarred up. But 71 yrs old, still take a fall, going to bowl league this morning. If this scraped up face don’t scare everyone away.

Here’s to a good off season
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Foreman44 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:56 am I understand I am not the greatest expert on expressing my point. Joekapp I envy you with your knowledge and writing ability. Others on here as well.a subject I had no interest in school and regret today.

I understand Cousins is a big cap hit, Money saved today will hurt us later...I guess my question is. What do we do at QB. IS cousins going to be here 3-4 more yrs. if so this isn’t as critical.....But if this what next. Rent a has been a yr or two. IMO....we should draft a QBs yearly. QBs in the draft are a big gamble. How many are great prospects in college. Look like the for sure deal. Then flop.

Here is list of busts. We have all seen them
The link didn’t come up

This yr we have Bryce young who I love. Stroud, QBs from Florida, Tenn. all are excellent college QBs,, The odds are who will will not reach expectations

If this is Cousins last year. Where do we go. Is our back up going to carry us next yr. do we go the has been locker? IMO. Many may disagree. But I think a team should draft a QB yearly hoping to find a star....I know we did this last yr or so. GB gave a first for Love 3-4 yrs ago with Rogers on board awhile. Did the same with Favre with Rodgers...

Without a quality QB we are going no where. Look at the complaints towards cousins and his offensive stats

Hey if this is messed up. I will blame it on a fall. Fell hard on pavement Walking my dog. I hit my forehead hard, broke my nose, face all scarred up. But 71 yrs old, still take a fall, going to bowl league this morning. If this scraped up face don’t scare everyone away.

Here’s to a good off season
Sorry you took such a bad fall. Much respect to you for carrying on when you’re so banged up. Be sure to tell the ladies in your bowling league, “You should see the other guy.”

As for Cousins, I’m like you. Why push all that money to the future. He already had two void years (basically pretend years to spread out his bonuses for cap purposes). Now they’ve added two more, meaning they could be paying off his cap hit for four years without him even being part of the team. That’s why I think they’re not done with Cousins.

Get better!
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:08 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:16 pm

Cousins has a no trade clause contract. He would have to agree. Jets have as much a chance as us to make the SB so there isn't no benefit for him. He took less from us before. I thought the 49ers would come after him. They don't need a guy to lift them up but they need a healthy body. Cousins suites it up week in and week out. IMO seems almost a perfect fit for them. He's able to get the ball to JJ so I'm sure he'll do the same with there weapons. Plus that back that have is dam good in the pass game. 49ers have a bunch of 3rd round picks they could unload and not even feel it.
Yes, Cousins has a no-trade clause. But that doesn’t mean he can’t be traded. He just has to agree to it.

You think he’d reject a trade to the Jets. I say you have no idea what he’d accept or reject. For example, if the Vikings say, “2023 is it … you can either play out your contract or accept a trade,” don’t you think Cousins would at least consider it? He’ll be 36 next year. And if a team like the Jets are willing to extend him, why would he turn that down?

We see Cousins in varying shades of good or bad. It’s an argument in Minnesota as to how good he is. For the Jets, he’d be the best quarterback they’ve had since Joe Namath.

Of course, with Aaron Rodgers giving the Jets a list of players he wants them to sign, and the Jets actually caving by giving Allen Lazard a ridiculous deal, it’s looking more and more like the Jets are going to make the deal for Rodgers. But I wouldn’t rule out Cousins accepting a trade to another team that will extend him.

If Cousins really wanted to win, if he really wanted to retire a Viking, he’d accept a team-friendly extension, as Tom Brady did multiple times. Instead, he’s playing hardball. He’s looking to win at the negotiating table, just like has always has. I don’t expect Kwesi to let that happen.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:11 am Yes, Cousins has a no-trade clause. But that doesn’t mean he can’t be traded. He just has to agree to it.

You think he’d reject a trade to the Jets. I say you have no idea what he’d accept or reject. For example, if the Vikings say, “2023 is it … you can either play out your contract or accept a trade,” don’t you think Cousins would at least consider it? He’ll be 36 next year. And if a team like the Jets are willing to extend him, why would he turn that down?

We see Cousins in varying shades of good or bad. It’s an argument in Minnesota as to how good he is. For the Jets, he’d be the best quarterback they’ve had since Joe Namath.

Of course, with Aaron Rodgers giving the Jets a list of players he wants them to sign, and the Jets actually caving by giving Allen Lazard a ridiculous deal, it’s looking more and more like the Jets are going to make the deal for Rodgers. But I wouldn’t rule out Cousins accepting a trade to another team that will extend him.

If Cousins really wanted to win, if he really wanted to retire a Viking, he’d accept a team-friendly extension, as Tom Brady did multiple times. Instead, he’s playing hardball. He’s looking to win at the negotiating table, just like has always has. I don’t expect Kwesi to let that happen.
With Kirk just follow the money. He wants to win but he wants to be paid and secure his financial future much more. I don't get the impression that he cares at all about his NFL "legacy".

I think the Vikings want to part ways after this season and also need to get under the cap ideally without having to cut anyone else. They've cleared up cap for 2024 earlier so putting Kirk's dead money won't hurt so bad.

This is Kirk's original deal and kicking it down the road so long coming home to roost. It's time to rip the Band-Aid off.
Lash Man
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Lash Man »

Simple truth is the Vikings are stuck with Cousins there just isnt a big market for him because teams know what he is . He has a very active and vocal fan base more due to his conservative politics and beliefs than his on field play but the players and coaches in the NFL are not fooled by his stats . They realize he is a me first high paid player that is more concerned with winning at contract negations than in games .
LETS GO VIKINGS ! :rock: