Cousins and Bradbury

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Cousins and Bradbury

Post by CharVike »

Lash Man wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:15 pm Simple truth is the Vikings are stuck with Cousins there just isnt a big market for him because teams know what he is . He has a very active and vocal fan base more due to his conservative politics and beliefs than his on field play but the players and coaches in the NFL are not fooled by his stats . They realize he is a me first high paid player that is more concerned with winning at contract negations than in games .
The same was said about Stafford. Who would offer Watson the kind of money he geot with his stuff. He never won anything and didn't play up to his money last year. Look at R Wilson many on here said he is one of the best. He's a winner. A 35 yo player isn't worth anything. If we try and trade 34 yo Smith you won't get anything. The Jets are a dumb team and will do anything for a face. That's why the are doing what the are for a fading QB.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:11 am
CharVike wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:08 pm
Cousins has a no trade clause contract. He would have to agree. Jets have as much a chance as us to make the SB so there isn't no benefit for him. He took less from us before. I thought the 49ers would come after him. They don't need a guy to lift them up but they need a healthy body. Cousins suites it up week in and week out. IMO seems almost a perfect fit for them. He's able to get the ball to JJ so I'm sure he'll do the same with there weapons. Plus that back that have is dam good in the pass game. 49ers have a bunch of 3rd round picks they could unload and not even feel it.
Yes, Cousins has a no-trade clause. But that doesn’t mean he can’t be traded. He just has to agree to it.

You think he’d reject a trade to the Jets. I say you have no idea what he’d accept or reject. For example, if the Vikings say, “2023 is it … you can either play out your contract or accept a trade,” don’t you think Cousins would at least consider it? He’ll be 36 next year. And if a team like the Jets are willing to extend him, why would he turn that down?

We see Cousins in varying shades of good or bad. It’s an argument in Minnesota as to how good he is. For the Jets, he’d be the best quarterback they’ve had since Joe Namath.

Of course, with Aaron Rodgers giving the Jets a list of players he wants them to sign, and the Jets actually caving by giving Allen Lazard a ridiculous deal, it’s looking more and more like the Jets are going to make the deal for Rodgers. But I wouldn’t rule out Cousins accepting a trade to another team that will extend him.

If Cousins really wanted to win, if he really wanted to retire a Viking, he’d accept a team-friendly extension, as Tom Brady did multiple times. Instead, he’s playing hardball. He’s looking to win at the negotiating table, just like has always has. I don’t expect Kwesi to let that happen.
I know nothing about what he would or wouldn't except. He has a no trade clause for a reason. Our GM agreed to it. He tied his own hands behind his back. Every player is looking for money. You would be an idiot not to. The career is short. Very short.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

I'm not thrilled with Bradbury being back but it's pretty cheap and he did improve a lot last year. Hopefully all three interior lineman take another step up next year. We were owned by the Giants up the gut in the playoffs.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Trade Cousins and sign Lamar? Would be a bold move.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
cmoss84
Veteran

Post by cmoss84 »

Nevermind...we can't sign him.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:20 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:11 am
Yes, Cousins has a no-trade clause. But that doesn’t mean he can’t be traded. He just has to agree to it.

You think he’d reject a trade to the Jets. I say you have no idea what he’d accept or reject. For example, if the Vikings say, “2023 is it … you can either play out your contract or accept a trade,” don’t you think Cousins would at least consider it? He’ll be 36 next year. And if a team like the Jets are willing to extend him, why would he turn that down?

We see Cousins in varying shades of good or bad. It’s an argument in Minnesota as to how good he is. For the Jets, he’d be the best quarterback they’ve had since Joe Namath.

Of course, with Aaron Rodgers giving the Jets a list of players he wants them to sign, and the Jets actually caving by giving Allen Lazard a ridiculous deal, it’s looking more and more like the Jets are going to make the deal for Rodgers. But I wouldn’t rule out Cousins accepting a trade to another team that will extend him.

If Cousins really wanted to win, if he really wanted to retire a Viking, he’d accept a team-friendly extension, as Tom Brady did multiple times. Instead, he’s playing hardball. He’s looking to win at the negotiating table, just like has always has. I don’t expect Kwesi to let that happen.
I know nothing about what he would or wouldn't except. He has a no trade clause for a reason. Our GM agreed to it. He tied his own hands behind his back. Every player is looking for money. You would be an idiot not to. The career is short. Very short.
Do you have any idea how much $200 million is?

I’m retired. I live comfortably. My wife and I will live comfortably for the rest of our lives. Not high on the hog, but comfortably. We’ve done well and saved since the day we were married. And I have a grain of sand put away compared to $200 million.

That number is how much a 34-year-old man has made in his NFL career thus far, just in salary. Kirk Cousins can live not just comfortably but high on the biggest hog for the rest of his life. So can his kids, their kids, and their grandchildren. His career may be short, but his livelihood isn’t. Generations of Cousinses are taken care of financially.

This isn’t a running back with a shelf life of 3 or 4 years. It’s a guy who’s entering his 12th season in the NFL. It’s a guy who has cashed in with two franchise tags, the first fully guaranteed contract in the history of the NFL, and two more extensions since then. Most NFL stars cash in once, maybe twice. He’s at four or five and counting.

Kirk Cousins is the undisputed king of the negotiating table. He’s won four Super Bowls in that league. So forgive me if your “you’d be an idiot not to look for money” argument falls on deaf ears.

If Kirk Cousins wants his legacy to be anything other than “put up stats to win big contracts,” then he needs to do what Tom Brady did multiple times and say, “I’ve made plenty …let’s go with a reasonable contract and win CHAMPIONSHIPS.” Otherwise, I don’t give a damn what he does, as long as it doesn’t involve the Vikings. I’m a 54-year fan of this team, and I want them to win a Super Bowl before I f***ing die.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:04 pm
CharVike wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:20 pm

I’m retired. I live comfortably. My wife and I will live comfortably for the rest of our lives. Not high on the hog, but comfortably. We’ve done well and saved since the day we were married. And I have a grain of sand put away compared to $200 million.

That number is how much a 34-year-old man has made in his NFL career thus far, just in salary. Kirk Cousins can live not just comfortably but high on the biggest hog for the rest of his life. So can his kids, their kids, and their grandchildren. His career may be short, but his livelihood isn’t. Generations of Cousinses are taken care of financially.

This isn’t a running back with a shelf life of 3 or 4 years. It’s a guy who’s entering his 12th season in the NFL. It’s a guy who has cashed in with two franchise tags, the first fully guaranteed contract in the history of the NFL, and two more extensions since then. Most NFL stars cash in once, maybe twice. He’s at four or five and counting.

Kirk Cousins is the undisputed king of the negotiating table. He’s won four Super Bowls in that league. So forgive me if your “you’d be an idiot not to look for money” argument falls on deaf ears.

If Kirk Cousins wants his legacy to be anything other than “put up stats to win big contracts,” then he needs to do what Tom Brady did multiple times and say, “I’ve made plenty …let’s go with a reasonable contract and win CHAMPIONSHIPS.” Otherwise, I don’t give a damn what he does, as long as it doesn’t involve the Vikings. I’m a 54-year fan of this team, and I want them to win a Super Bowl before I f***ing die.
200 million is beyond my thought. He did pay taxes. Brady has a net value of 330 million and his wife is over 400 million. He still wanted 15 million in salary. It never ends. Cousins contract isn't holding this team up. Cowboys pay Dak more and they have have no cap problems. Chiefs have no problem putting together a great OL. Their D helped win the SB. Our problems is bad drafts and over paying guys like Davenport. Who ever heard of a 13 million prove it deal. Or a backup TE getting 7 million. It goes on. Now TJ will say my backup is getting 7 I want 21. That's horrible cap management. If you think there is a QB walking that would have taken our team to the SB the last x number of years then I disagree. Kirk did an amazing job winning the division title with one of if not the worst defense in the NFL. Not many have ever done that. Nobody knows what Kirk wants. Many fans think he sucks and doesn't want to win ect...That's all BS. If he didn't want to win he never would have made it to the top shelf of the sport. He worked is a$$ off beyond those that have 5 times the physical ability. You and me are both running out of time for a SB win. We are in rebuild right now.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

CharVike wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:14 pm
J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:04 pm

200 million is beyond my thought. He did pay taxes. Brady has a net value of 330 million and his wife is over 400 million. He still wanted 15 million in salary. It never ends. Cousins contract isn't holding this team up. Cowboys pay Dak more and they have have no cap problems. Chiefs have no problem putting together a great OL. Their D helped win the SB. Our problems is bad drafts and over paying guys like Davenport. Who ever heard of a 13 million prove it deal. Or a backup TE getting 7 million. It goes on. Now TJ will say my backup is getting 7 I want 21. That's horrible cap management. If you think there is a QB walking that would have taken our team to the SB the last x number of years then I disagree. Kirk did an amazing job winning the division title with one of if not the worst defense in the NFL. Not many have ever done that. Nobody knows what Kirk wants. Many fans think he sucks and doesn't want to win ect...That's all BS. If he didn't want to win he never would have made it to the top shelf of the sport. He worked is a$$ off beyond those that have 5 times the physical ability. You and me are both running out of time for a SB win. We are in rebuild right now.
I’m not talking about how Kirk played last year. He was good, better than he’s ever been. But it doesn’t mean he should be making $36 million a year.

You say Brady wanted $15 million. I’m pretty sure it was actually more than that, but since I don’t have the exact figure in front of me, let’s say your figure is correct. That’s $21 million less than Cousins’ cap hit before the restructure. What could the Vikings do with $21 million more in cap space? Who could they sign? Let your imagination run wild.

That’s what this is about. Roster building.

And you can’t compare cousins’ situation to Mahomes. The Chiefs let his best receiver walk last year, and he still won the Super Bowl. You can pay a guy $45 million if he can do that. What has Kirk Cousins won? High school state championship? Nope? College? Nope? Big Ten championship? Again no. Division title? Finally in his 11th year, 9th as a starter, he won his first division title in one of the weakest divisions in football. Playoff wins? One. Even Dak, who isn’t worth close to what Dallas pays him, has two playoff wins.

You just can’t pay a guy like Cousins $40 million if you want to win the whole thing. But I guarantee you, that’s what he wants. Why? Because Dak got it. Because Daniel Jones got it. If Kirk Cousins really wanted to retire a Viking, he’d agree to an extension that paid him less, starting in 2024, than he’s making now. That’s exactly what Harrison Smith did, and his pay cut doesn’t have anywhere near the impact Cousins’ could.

You’re right. I probably shouldn’t assume Cousins’ motives. I can’t read his mind. But I can read his actions. And his actions say that while he may want to win, it appears making bag comes first.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
CharVike
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by CharVike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:32 pm
CharVike wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:14 pm
I’m not talking about how Kirk played last year. He was good, better than he’s ever been. But it doesn’t mean he should be making $36 million a year.

You say Brady wanted $15 million. I’m pretty sure it was actually more than that, but since I don’t have the exact figure in front of me, let’s say your figure is correct. That’s $21 million less than Cousins’ cap hit before the restructure. What could the Vikings do with $21 million more in cap space? Who could they sign? Let your imagination run wild.

That’s what this is about. Roster building.

And you can’t compare cousins’ situation to Mahomes. The Chiefs let his best receiver walk last year, and he still won the Super Bowl. You can pay a guy $45 million if he can do that. What has Kirk Cousins won? High school state championship? Nope? College? Nope? Big Ten championship? Again no. Division title? Finally in his 11th year, 9th as a starter, he won his first division title in one of the weakest divisions in football. Playoff wins? One. Even Dak, who isn’t worth close to what Dallas pays him, has two playoff wins.

You just can’t pay a guy like Cousins $40 million if you want to win the whole thing. But I guarantee you, that’s what he wants. Why? Because Dak got it. Because Daniel Jones got it. If Kirk Cousins really wanted to retire a Viking, he’d agree to an extension that paid him less, starting in 2024, than he’s making now. That’s exactly what Harrison Smith did, and his pay cut doesn’t have anywhere near the impact Cousins’ could.

You’re right. I probably shouldn’t assume Cousins’ motives. I can’t read his mind. But I can read his actions. And his actions say that while he may want to win, it appears making bag comes first.
I saw an interview with Cousins pior to FA and they asked him about his future and how long he will play. Cousins said he spoke with his wife which they do every off season and that if he does go forward beyond 2023 he will do it one year at a time. He also said he enjoys the locker room guys we have now and mentioned Bradbury and Matti. He was concerned that both are FA and they may not be here. The guys in the locker will influence his decision. There it is. He will go one at a time. Let's face it at 35 and after 12 years of playing a very violent sport I'm sure he has parts on him that aren't the same. I'm sure he don't recover like he did when he was 30. I think for him playing for KOC is a good way to go out. I think for all players bag comes first. If it was about winning they would all head to KC and play for minimum. Looks like they will win 8 out of the next 10. Players leave that team for more money. No player would play for a door mat but they still do.
For Smith he was getting injured more last year than he normally does. He needed rest. If he's back blitzing and attacking the LOS good luck to him. It may not be just a neck tweak this time or knee or tired. But he got an extra 8 million. It works for him also.