Thielen’s release signals a new direction

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Thielen’s release signals a new direction

Post by Purple Reign »

JJBreaksRecords wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:44 pm
Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:08 pm So Thielen is lighting it up in Carolina. Why couldn't our offensive guru get production out of him and allow us to use our first round pick on defense or interior oline?
Because, simply put, KO is a horrible HB, and I am questioning his plays and designs.
I agree, KO is a horrible half back. :lol:
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Re: Thielen’s release signals a new direction

Post by VikingLord »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:08 pm So Thielen is lighting it up in Carolina. Why couldn't our offensive guru get production out of him and allow us to use our first round pick on defense or interior oline?
He didn't seem like he got a lot of separation last year, so it's hard to say his lack of production in his last year as a Vikings was a scheme issue. Maybe he got healthier this offseason and was able to put a little more pep back in his step as compared to last year when he definitely seemed slower and was less effective.

Also, Thielen had to go on a value basis. He was due a lot of money and IIRC he wasn't willing to back it down. In the end, even if he had been productive in his last year as a Viking I think they would have had to let him go.

Lastly, I don't think the Addison pick was a reach to replace Thielen. I think the Addison pick was a BPA choice in last year's draft. Had there been a better player available at another position in the first round, I think the Vikings were in a position to take that player. Addison was mocked higher than where the Vikings got him, so I have no problem with that pick where the Vikings got him. Now, had KAM moved up to get him, I might have had a problem with that, but I feel like he fell and was the best pick where the Vikings took him.